Author Topic: Hitch has died  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
Hitch has died
« on: December 16, 2011, 12:19:19 AM »
Christopher Hitchens has died.

:'(
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Re: Hitch has died
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 12:48:40 AM »
Yeah, I just heard.  :( The world is a poorer place.  :'(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +131/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 12:53:21 AM »
He was an amazing human being. I can't do the man justice with my words. Time for a shot of Black Label.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 01:07:29 AM »
One of my favourites:

Part 1: 

Part 2: 

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 01:12:31 AM »
I just went to his Wikipedia article for a quick look and found that it was already being vandalized:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Christopher_Hitchens&diff=466117132&oldid=466116645

Christian love.

On an unrelated note: Those who are sad have my sympathies.[1]
 1. Dunno if this is the proper way to say it, but you probably know what I mean.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 01:13:16 AM »
He was an amazing human being. I can't do the man justice with my words. Time for a shot of Black Label.

Walking with Johnny?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 01:15:08 AM »
I just went to his Wikipedia article for a quick look and found that it was already being vandalized:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Christopher_Hitchens&diff=466117132&oldid=466116645

That's kinda fucked up.

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 01:19:42 AM »

Christian love.

It's called "de-accurizing for jesus"

Bye, Hitch. You did good.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 01:48:14 AM »
Raising a drink to Hitch.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 05:34:46 AM »
Sniff.

I'm pondering whether to get my father-in-law his Mother Teresa book. He's always blasting Catholics, but I still don't know if I should send it anonymously.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 06:41:03 AM »
Who's taking bets that some godbotherer will claim a death-bed conversion?

His style was acerbic but his thought patterns were direct and cut through the crap of superstition and ignorance. I'm more of a Dawkins/Hawking fan but, with PZ Meyers, James Randi, et al, Hitch held a unique place in a team that could take on and defeat any purveyors of bullshit.

He'll be missed.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 06:42:34 AM »
While I did not always agree with his views I did find him to be eloquent and passionate in expressing them from various excerpts I've seen.  I believe many on this website feel sad about his passing and it is my hope you find conolation and solace with this loss.  I haven't checked any theist web sites but I truly hope there is nothing said which is disrespectful.

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy 
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 06:44:20 AM »
Damn.  I'm glad I got to see him before he died.  In person, and perhaps because he knew he was dying, he was incredible.  Articulate, and without apologies for what he believed.  He had a sense of compassion that was harder to see when he was doing his damage to theists before he got sick.

He will be missed.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 06:46:17 AM »
He looked so frail at the Texas Freethought Convention a couple of months back...

Nobody had a way with words like Christopher Hitchens. I thoroughly enjoyed watching him debate theists and intellectually smack them down via what has been coined as "The Hitchslap". Definitely my favorite of the 4 horsemen.

I too will raise my glass to him this evening.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 06:54:42 AM »
2011 has been a tough year.  Sad way to end it here shortly.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 07:03:08 AM »
Who's taking bets that some godbotherer will claim a death-bed conversion?

I can say that when I saw him at the conference, only two months ago, he was as sharp as ever, just physically challenged.  With his brain fully intact, I can say with great confidence that he went without considering the issue.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 07:21:32 AM »
I'm saddened to hear this. I appreciate his writings very much.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 08:11:20 AM »
Hitch has died

:( ..... extremely sad news.

"There isn’t the evidence for faith, and I don’t see why anyone would want it to be true. A permanent, invigilated, regulated dictatorship which you are told is for your own good. I can’t think of anything worse."...HITCHENS

"Anything eternal is probably intolerable. One thing that makes the atheist position intellectually, and in some ways morally, superior is that we accept conclusions on the basis of reason and evidence that are not welcome to us. We don’t want to be annihilated. We just think the overall likelihood is that we will rejoin the molecular cycle when we die. We don’t wish it to be true, but we face it."
....HITCHENS
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 08:32:17 AM »
While I did not always agree with his views I did find him to be eloquent and passionate in expressing them from various excerpts I've seen.  I believe many on this website feel sad about his passing and it is my hope you find conolation and solace with this loss.  I haven't checked any theist web sites but I truly hope there is nothing said which is disrespectful.
Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

A hope that could never come true. I've checked, the vultures have already started. Most theists just can't help themselves.

Excerpts ? .....Read his entire works OCG......you'll gain a new and better perspective of him.

Cheers mate.
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 12:49:21 PM »
The best of Hitchslap

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 12:59:34 PM »
I found his books were sometimes hard to get through because of his incredible command of language, but his debates were unbelievable. 

Very sad day. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 01:13:24 PM »
It's just such a shame he was such a vocal supporter of the War Against the Iraqi People.  Now when theists claim that Stalin and Mao were atheist (erroneously) mass murderers, they can accurately say that the atheist Hitch advocated mass murder. 

I will never understand why such an intelligent guy was a steadfast booster for one of the dumbest wars ever, especially when confronted with the mountain of evidence of US war crimes. 

It's strangely ironic that the date of Hitch's death so closely tracks the US withdrawal from Iraq. 

Offline Tykster

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 02:17:49 PM »

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

You're a class act OCG :)
rhocam ~ I guess there are several trillion cells in a man, and one in an amoeba, so to be generous, lets say that there were a billion. That is one every fifteen years. So in my lifetime I should have seen two evolutionary changes.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 02:25:40 PM »

The power that was, is no more, however he left us his legacy, farewell dear friend farewell.

From here http://www.centerforinquiry.net/news/cfi_mourns_the_death_of_christopher_hitchens/  "Hitchens left us many words of wisdom. But perhaps one quote stands out. In God Is Not Great, Hitchens wrote, “Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.” In this concise, insightful observation, Hitchens captures all that needs to be said about the independence of morality from religion.

Hitchens has left humanists and atheists a rich legacy of logic, fearless advocacy, and wit. It’s up to us to make good use of it. "
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 02:53:37 PM »

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

You're a class act OCG :)

Ain't he just? Pisses me right off, too. Makes me want to punch a dolphin in the face to be perfectly honest.

Yeah, that's right. Right in the face. Then stick my thumb in his blowhole 'till he passes out. Then I'd paint a mustache on him in toothpaste.

Why? Because the universe needs balance.

I'm starting to get suspicous. Nobody is that mellow and courteous and respectable and nice and shit. And his track record is strangely flawless...

I got 20 bucks that says Old Church Guy has a freezer full of severed heads in his garage or somethin'. I'm on to you OCG! You hear me!? I KNOW WHAT YOU DID!!!
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 03:23:53 PM »
I think that if there was an afterlife, Hitch would be grinning about the lies that Christians have felt necessary to tell.  Shows he was right all along and indeed "vindicated" as he wanted to be.

A glass of bourbon raised high for a man who spoke his mind, even if I vehemently disagreed with him occasionally.

now, I'll go back to enjoying a christain free weekend.  see you on Monday.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline fishjie

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 05:18:48 PM »
gonna drink and smoke this weekend in his honor

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 05:52:50 PM »
It is a sad day indeed.  :'(

I found out about his death at work today and it really bummed me out. It's like the death of a rockstar or something. I haven't been this sad[1] about the death of a 'celebrity' since the death of George Carlin[2]. He got under the skin of people on both sides of the religion debate at times, but he never backed down from his views.

He'll be missed. I'm going to the wine cabinet tonight and enjoying a bottle of Rosemount red wine in his honor. I might even pour a bottle on my sidewalk for him.
 1. Not that I am in tears or anything crazy like that
 2. Not because the two were atheists, but because I admired both for speaking their minds so openly and how they were able to captivate an audience.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 05:57:59 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »
Emily - it is the same for me, I was reminded of the recent loss of George Carlin as well, on the Hitch news.