Author Topic: Gee willickers, I'm just so darn happy to be here! Howdy y'all!  (Read 937 times)

Offline Rory

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Gee willickers, I'm just so darn happy to be here! Howdy y'all!
« on: December 15, 2011, 10:48:56 PM »
Good evening!

My name is Rory.  And my subject line was a joke, although attitudes can be contagious so let that one attack your immune system.

I must first admit that I started breaking rules left and right when I first posted on this site, getting off topic and creating confusion by not really adhering to the norm of response styles and quoting.  So for that I apologize.  I just jumped right in raisin' all sorts of a ruckus.

But thank God for my newest friend in the whole wide world, velkyn!  She pointed me in the right direction for the tutorial, so I went back to read the rules, started reading the tutorials, and I'm still looking at all the other basics which included this Intro area of the Info Zone.  So thank God, and thank you velkyn!

I will be replying and posting as the opportunities arise. If my replies are delayed, please be patient.  I see many post from work, and sadly I do not have that option with either of my positions.  And one of them might take me away for great lengths of time.  Life was full before this and I'll do my best to fit in time and effort here!

Send me questions or just chat with the messaging system, and I look forward to our discussions!

Love,
Rory

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
Re: Gee willickers, I'm just so darn happy to be here! Howdy y'all!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 11:08:12 PM »
Hey, Rory! We've been having a discussion in that other thread, but I wanted to welcome you in this one anyway. Can you tell us some more about yourself?
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 11:16:04 PM »
RORY IT'S A TRAP! Don't tell these guys ANYTHING about yourself! They'll just use it against you!

Just kidding. Really. It's a joke. Welcome to the forum, you'll find all sorts of people here...including assholes like me  ;)

P.S.
It's fine if you want to pray for us, however it benefits nothing but your own sense of self satisfaction by stating that you are doing so.

Now get in here and have some FUN! 
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Rory

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 11:27:39 PM »
Hey curiousgirl!

You're lucky I'm still on.  Although it is really easy to get distracted on here, lol.

Give me a little direction with your question and I'll go with it.  I'm assuming you're not interested in my favorite cartoon show from the 80s...TMNT.  But just say the word and I'll let you know all about its radical and gnarly ways.

well jay, it appears we have enemy ships in sector 47!
Oh and I'll pray for you alright, and your little dog too.
Factoid 2 about Rory: He won a national contest for a car in the 7th grade, and he prayed for that event.

Cowabunga,
Rory

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 11:39:18 PM »

But I...I...I have a cat  :-[
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 11:56:13 PM »
Hey, Rory. Just wanted to know typical stuff that is shared in an intro, like what part of the US you are from, and maybe your age and if you have a family. I know you said you are in the military, right? You could tell us some more about that. It's really up to you.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 12:47:42 AM »
Hello and welcome aboard the good ship lollipop!!! These might seem like shark-infested waters at times, but most of us are relatively friendly sharks. lol
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 02:17:51 AM »

It used to be a cat. Congratulations on the new dog.    ;D
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 02:42:38 AM »

Factoid 2 about Rory: He won a national contest for a car in the 7th grade, and he prayed for that event.

Cowabunga,
Rory

So are you saying you were the only contestant praying?
Are you saying that your prayer made all the difference?
Are you saying that if anyone else was praying, their prayers were less effective than your prayers?
Are you saying that an omniscient god can be effected by prayer, (in effect changing his plan to an outcome requested by prayer)?
Or are you saying that god always planned for you to win the car, and in fact your prayer served absolutely no purpose (the same as every other contestants prayers obviously served no purpose)?

welcome to the forum Rory

EDIT  it just dawned on me that this is an intro thread.  I would welcome my questions being shunted (mods?)to somewhere more apt, but I would still very much like to hear Rory's answers.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:44:49 AM by kin hell »
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Rory

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 08:17:36 PM »
Hello again everyone.  So continuing with the intro, I am a Reserve Officer for the Navy.  I am a logistics adviser for different ships in the Korean Theater.  For my collateral job, I'm a Navy Fitness Trainer so I really like working out.  I'm very active and volunteer all the time for relief efforts like in Japan and Haiti.

My regular day job involves creating weapon testers in partnership with the DOE.  It can be challenging and fun.

I live in the Midwest with my white German Shepherd, Beau.  I don't have a cat technically but claim my mom's large, black Maine Coon named Stud as my own.  Stud doesn't like Beau and moving anywhere would be a decision he has to make, not me.

I stay crazy busy with both jobs, my dog, church, family, friends, hobbies, and really don't remember the last day where I wondered what I was going to do next.  It's all just running together at this point, lol.

It used to be a cat. Congratulations on the new dog.    ;D

I am very sorry to hear about the transformation of your cat...May your new dog be just as loving :)

Cowabunga,
Rory

So are you saying...

Well I'm saying what I said.  The implications you suggest were not there, but the topics would be very interesting to discuss!  And yes, certainly outside the introduction zone as you mentioned.

I hope life is great, especially with Christmas and New Year's coming up!

TTFN,
Rory

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 02:04:52 AM »
Welcome, Rory. Happy holidays to you and yours.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 07:08:01 AM »
OOOH___WEEEEEE_OOOOOH!

So yer a muscle bosun? Have you been on Mail Buoy Watch yet?
Well welcome aboard!
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.