Author Topic: A Ray Comfort Book  (Read 199 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +296/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
A Ray Comfort Book
« on: December 15, 2011, 01:51:04 PM »
So, I was told by my pharmacist at 1pm yesterday that my prescription would be ready at 3, I get there at 3 and it's not ready yet; they say, "10 minutes." So I wait, and wait, and they have these swirl shelves of books that you can read while you wait, and they are are Christian books, mainly for women, and children.  So, I see this "Ray Comfort's book of Scientific evidence in the Bible" and I flip through it, and I noticed that when he sources quotes from the Bible, he actually states the section in the book it is in; but when he quotes individual people or other things, there are no sources for them; there's no context for what they are saying.  Why is that?  And, even when he quotes from the Bible he doesn't really state how or why it's evidence, he just states it is, and since it's his interpretation of whatever line, then, it must be true.

I've heard of Ray Comfort, seen his program before I stopped watching tv almost a year ago, and I always found him to be a laugh; and that book I found to be a laugh as well. 

I've read books, etc., where people would source even if the sources were made up -- is that worse than not sourcing at all?  http://arabnews.com is a great place to find sources with empty links or correct links but where they take what is said out of context.

But, in trying to find an adequate link for Comfort's book (as a source) for you, I ran into this website, that I like, that tears his book apart:

http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Scientific_Facts_in_the_Bible_%28book%29

I think when I have more time on my hands I'm going to go through ironchariots website a bit more.

-Nam
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:27:28 PM by Nam »
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: A Ray Comfort Book
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 02:06:04 PM »
I would say tht it's because creationists know that they are lying and are doing their best to hide it.  I wonder if they think it works on their god that supposedly hates lies and liars even if done "for" it. 

edit: and I'm only seeing a blank entry for that last website.     I'm seeing it here: http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Scientific_Facts_in_the_Bible_%28book%29
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:08:32 PM by velkyn »
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 02:16:17 PM »
Sounds like a wonderful Christmas gift for someone. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +296/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 02:27:39 PM »
Edited link.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 02:49:21 PM »
It's intellectual dishonesty, one of the central pillars of organized religion.

There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz