Author Topic: How many people has Christianity killed?  (Read 4757 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: How many people has Christianity killed?
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2011, 10:56:19 AM »
Thank you again. I will make an effort to educate myself on this. I can see where it could come in handy.

one of the best sites for that: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2011, 12:53:42 PM »

It seemed like god was sending me a personal message to go out and act on my recurring thoughts and kill people. Fortunately I resisted and was able to restore myself.

Same here, more or less. Thanks to my former supernatural beliefs, my head is filled with violent images. Thankfully, I pay no attention to them.

Otherwise, Riley, I could have been out there reducing the people – like you.

And you would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling brain cells!

Had to ask this question to you two:  REALLY?!? Really? I'm serious, really?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2011, 01:06:13 PM »

Yeah, really. Do you want to know what goes through my head sometimes? Or the nightmares I had?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
  • learn to laugh at yourself. I am.
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2011, 01:25:22 PM »

Riley, do you really want me to believe in god? (If you're smart you'll say "No.")

Snipped for focus

Let me ask you Riley, do you really want me to believe in god? (If you're smart you'll say "No.")

Wow. Reducing the people. Scary thought.
 As for me wanting you to believe in god. I think that is the problem , You may think that is all theist wants is for you to believe in God or Gods (and some do). And that is what theist think atheist want and that is for us not to believe in God(again some do). If you have a relationship with the God in which you believe in , more power to you. If you don't believe in God , that is your right.
Just for future reference, I really don't care who or what you believe in.(I am just trying to learn new ways to look at things so I can make my own decisions) As long as you are not out there killing people and then blaming it on your belief or nonbelief of some God. If you are killing someone then it is not the fault of any God or lack of God , you are killing because you are sick in the head and need to taken out.  The way I see it is , we live in a world that is what it is. Chance can come but when it does, it never seem to be in a hurry. Here in my country , we have a vote to pass laws that we live by. The ones with the most votes makes the laws that we live by. As luck would have it, the votes have made it so I can believe in a God and you have the right to not believe. I can live with that, not only can I live with that but I can live with it and not be mad at the people that do not believe. I have friends that do not believe and we get along great. Granted I get ribbed about my beliefs but I rib them back. I do not believe you are stupid because you don't believe in God and I don't believe some one that believes in a God that is strange to me is stupid. And if you don't believe in a God I don't believe you stupid. We come by our beliefs by the things that happens in life.Who am I to tell someone how to live their life. Just because they or you have different beliefs than myself does not mean that they are not thinking or have their mind in the sky. If just means that they have looked at the evidence and see it in a different way. Any one that puts down another for the simply reason of not thinking the same , well , those are the ones to keep an eye on. Those are the people that scare me. And they should scare you also. Just saying. Ok, now you can rip this apart.  &)
Most people think they know what they know. The problem starts by not knowing what you don't know. You know?  (Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence)   (Albert Einstein)One fool can ask more questions in a minute than twelve wise men can answer in an hour.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2011, 01:29:55 PM »
Thank you again. I will make an effort to educate myself on this. I can see where it could come in handy.

one of the best sites for that: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
Thanks , I will check it out.
Most people think they know what they know. The problem starts by not knowing what you don't know. You know?  (Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence)   (Albert Einstein)One fool can ask more questions in a minute than twelve wise men can answer in an hour.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2011, 01:31:42 PM »

Yeah, really. Do you want to know what goes through my head sometimes? Or the nightmares I had?

Kinda............What I'm interested in knowing is the relationship supernatural beliefs have to such inclinations.

Offline Joetruth2

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2011, 01:36:52 PM »
Well. as for me, HMMMMM.

I was  raised a Christian and never met a Christian that mass murdered anyone for any reason. For that matter I never met any mass murderers. But Mao and Pot lived in my time and I doubt they were Christians. I alos doubt they were athiest. The were NUTS!!!!!!!!!

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2011, 01:38:33 PM »
Kinda............What I'm interested in knowing is the relationship supernatural beliefs have to such inclinations.

They're all based on supposedly true stories proving the supernatural to be real, as well as my former supernatural beliefs. Also, note that I did not mention inclinations, only thoughts. These are not "I wanna do this" thoughts but rather "This" thoughts. Not sure if I'm explaining it properly.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2011, 03:13:31 PM »
You left the part in bold out.
No, I didn't.  You've claimed that religion had "nothing" to do with the crusades. That's hysterical.  It was religion that gave the okay that one could do this without putting one’s soul in danger, that the enemy was godless. Their target, Jerusalem, a city that both sides considered important to their religion.  They could have gone to Egypt to fight for trade, or Turkey, but they didn’t.  was there other reasons, especially after the first crusade? You betcha. But you’ve claimed the religion wasn’t responsible at all and haven’t supported that.

My bad. For clarification, Alexios requested help from Pope Urban II against the invading Turks. It originally had less to do with religion than Alexios trying to rebuild his crumbling empire. Part of the argument for help involved the claim that the Muslims had taken over Jerusalem and were denying access to the city by Christian pilgrims. The Pope jumped on this and used it as his clarion call to retake the Holy land and presumably to expand the Church's influence and power into the east. All I see from this is that Religion was a tool for the expansion of the Church's power = tithes=the ability to acquire more land=more tithes etc. Not for the glory of God but for the glory of a power structure.

Yep, and again, doesn't show that religion *doesn't* make people do horrible things.

Religion doesn't make people do horrible things. Horrible people sometimes use religion to justify the horrible things they do. I think you have said something similar yourself in other threads.

I am out of time. I will respond more later.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2011, 03:26:50 PM »
You left the part in bold out.
No, I didn't.  You've claimed that religion had "nothing" to do with the crusades. That's hysterical.  It was religion that gave the okay that one could do this without putting one’s soul in danger, that the enemy was godless. Their target, Jerusalem, a city that both sides considered important to their religion.  They could have gone to Egypt to fight for trade, or Turkey, but they didn’t.  was there other reasons, especially after the first crusade? You betcha. But you’ve claimed the religion wasn’t responsible at all and haven’t supported that.
My bad. For clarification, Alexios requested help from Pope Urban II against the invading Turks. It originally had less to do with religion than Alexios trying to rebuild his crumbling empire. Part of the argument for help involved the claim that the Muslims had taken over Jerusalem and were denying access to the city by Christian pilgrims. The Pope jumped on this and used it as his clarion call to retake the Holy land and presumably to expand the Church's influence and power into the east. All I see from this is that Religion was a tool for the expansion of the Church's power = tithes=the ability to acquire more land=more tithes etc. Not for the glory of God but for the glory of a power structure.
Yes, “your bad”.  Nice history lesson but again, you want to claim that religion to only be a tool, all “innocent” despite it directly calling for the death of non-belivers.  &)  And again we see you assuming that you can read people’s minds.   
Yep, and again, doesn't show that religion *doesn't* make people do horrible things.

Religion doesn't make people do horrible things. Horrible people sometimes use religion to justify the horrible things they do. I think you have said something similar yourself in other threads.
I am out of time. I will respond more later.
[/quote]
Religion is indeed used for this.  The problem is that this religion advocates this horriblness.  If we had people making up new stuff to justify what they were doing, then you might have a point.  We don’t.  The supposed “original” is all about horrible acts being a-OK with this god.  You seem to want to allow religion to claim to help people but when its shown to be detrimental, then the rules change. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2011, 03:40:42 PM »

Religion is indeed used for this.  The problem is that this religion advocates this horriblness.  If we had people making up new stuff to justify what they were doing, then you might have a point.  We don’t.  The supposed “original” is all about horrible acts being a-OK with this god.  You seem to want to allow religion to claim to help people but when its shown to be detrimental, then the rules change.
I agree with the fact that religion is indeed used for this. However the religion does not advocate the terrible things that have happen , It was just a tool that the power that be used to gain more power.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2011, 03:43:12 PM »

I agree with the fact that religion is indeed used for this. However the religion does not advocate the terrible things that have happen , It was just a tool that the power that be used to gain more power.

Riley, have you read your bible?   It says repeatedly that non-believers deserve death.  We have this in Luke 19, we have it all through "Paul"'s nonsense.  And Revelation is quite a poster child for saying that anyone who doesn't obey god deserves nothing but the worst done to them. 

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2011, 03:46:09 PM »

Riley, have you read your bible?   It says repeatedly that non-believers deserve death.  We have this in Luke 19, we have it all through "Paul"'s nonsense.  And Revelation is quite a poster child for saying that anyone who doesn't obey god deserves nothing but the worst done to them.
yea I have read the Bible and yea it does say some terrible things. I have been told that I am not a Christian because I now doubt the truth of the Bible. I am being told that I am a theology. I am trying to look up what that is.lol
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2011, 03:53:45 PM »
yea I have read the Bible and yea it does say some terrible things. I have been told that I am not a Christian because I now doubt the truth of the Bible. I am being told that I am a theology. I am trying to look up what that is.lol

Riley,  I'm curious, then why did you say  "the religion does not advocate the terrible things that have happened"? 

Theology is simply the study of religions.    It's not a term for a person.   

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2011, 04:09:22 PM »
Riley,  I'm curious, then why did you say  "the religion does not advocate the terrible things that have happened"? 

Theology is simply the study of religions.    It's not a term for a person.
I was talking to a guy on another forum and I told him that I believe in God however I have my doubts about how man has taken the word of God and used it to gain power. So at this point he told me that theology would be my best definition. Any way , I guess I am starting to have my doubts about Not God But Man. Sounds funny I know. But that is where my mind is at this time.
I am really having a problem with this Bible thing. I just don't see how that could be the words of a loving and merciful God.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:12:31 PM by riley2112 »
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2011, 04:11:32 PM »
I was talking to a guy on another forum and I told him that I believe in God however I have my doubts about how man has taken the word of God and used it to gain power. So at this point he told me that theology would be my best definition. Any way , I guess I am starting to have my doubts about Not God But Man. Sounds funny I know. But that is where my mind is at this time.

what do you doubt about "Man"?    and no idea what that fellow meant.  I'm still curious on why you said what you did.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2011, 04:12:23 PM »

Hey Riles I'm curious, to you still view the Bible as being the Word of God or do you now believe that if there is a God that the bible is not likely a product of its handiwork?

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »

Hey Riles I'm curious, to you still view the Bible as being the Word of God or do you now believe that if there is a God that the bible is not likely a product of its handiwork?
I believe that there it indeed a God, As for the Bible being his work. I am having my doubts , It may have some of His truth in it , but I have read it , and the more I look at it the more I doubt it is the word of God. Again I am thinking it is just another way that man has twisted the words of God so that they could gain more power. I was reading another book ( can not remember the name) but the story of it and the Bible was so close to the same and it was written long before the bible. The name of the first man was even close to Adam, it was like Adamu or something like that .
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2011, 04:22:39 PM »

what do you doubt about "Man"?    and no idea what that fellow meant.  I'm still curious on why you said what you did.
Why I said what I did about Man using religion. Well think of it this way, if you would. When we first split the atom was it for the purpose of a weapon? But that is what man used it for. To gain power. Name anything that man has come across that he has not tried to manipulate to gain power in one way or another, That is what I feel man has used religion for , thus making it a tool.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2011, 04:32:17 PM »
I believe that there it indeed a God, As for the Bible being his work. I am having my doubts , It may have some of His truth in it , but I have read it , and the more I look at it the more I doubt it is the word of God. Again I am thinking it is just another way that man has twisted the words of God so that they could gain more power. 

Such sentiments are shared Riley.

I was reading another book ( can not remember the name) but the story of it and the Bible was so close to the same and it was written long before the bible. The name of the first man was even close to Adam, it was like Adamu or something like that .

Azura Mazda and BibleGod(s) may be twin brothers or 1st cousins.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2011, 04:34:05 PM »

Why I said what I did about Man using religion. Well think of it this way, if you would. When we first split the atom was it for the purpose of a weapon? But that is what man used it for. To gain power. Name anything that man has come across that he has not tried to manipulate to gain power in one way or another, That is what I feel man has used religion for , thus making it a tool.

Not that: I'm curious, then why did you say  "the religion does not advocate the terrible things that have happened" when it does? 

I agree, humans like power and like tools to get it.  However, if one assumes a god,  a god that has had anything to do with this has given them a faulty tool, if it exists.  and has allowed that tool to be misused for no good reason sicne it can do supposedly anything to alter that. 

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2011, 06:05:39 PM »
I agree, humans like power and like tools to get it.  However, if one assumes a god,  a god that has had anything to do with this has given them a faulty tool, if it exists.  and has allowed that tool to be misused for no good reason sicne it can do supposedly anything to alter that.
I don't know if God wants to do anything about it or not. Given that free will. I mean if you throw in free will how could anyone including God know the out come before it happens. Now he may be able to predict an out come, but to know. Plus with all of the things that are said about God , who really knows what God can do and what he can't do. The more you look at this the more I think no one knows what the hell they are talking about. But at least there are a lot of people trying to find out what in the hell went on. And that is a start. So once again I can not blame anything on religion it self. but only on the people that manipulate it
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +97/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2011, 06:59:47 PM »
I don't know if God wants to do anything about it or not. Given that free will. I mean if you throw in free will how could anyone including God know the out come before it happens. Now he may be able to predict an out come, but to know. Plus with all of the things that are said about God , who really knows what God can do and what he can't do. The more you look at this the more I think no one knows what the hell they are talking about. But at least there are a lot of people trying to find out what in the hell went on. And that is a start. So once again I can not blame anything on religion it self. but only on the people that manipulate it
If I lack the intellectual capacity to know that Satan is corrupting me,making it impossible to attain spiritual enlightenment,what then? Peoples intelligence varies greatly worldwide......does God have a dislike for the gullable? Does Satan still work for God? after all Satan's original Job(pardon the pun) was to try and corrupt souls......up to and including MURDER with God's blessing.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2011, 07:28:30 PM »
If I lack the intellectual capacity to know that Satan is corrupting me,making it impossible to attain spiritual enlightenment,what then? Peoples intelligence varies greatly worldwide......does God have a dislike for the gullable? Does Satan still work for God? after all Satan's original Job(pardon the pun) was to try and corrupt souls......up to and including MURDER with God's blessing.
Yea I guess you would be correct if the Bible was truly the word of God. That is what I am now questioning. If however the Bible is the true word of God then I am not sure that would mean that Satan/ devil, whatever has the ability to corrupting anyone. If I am understanding this correctly he can only tempt you other than that I believe he must first ask God to allow him to do any more. At that point God can let Satan really mess with you . Which is why I am having trouble with the ideal that God would allow Satan to mess with his flock.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +97/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2011, 09:47:02 PM »
 To test the faith of one (just ONE) of his followers Satan was "allowed" by God to KILL Job's family....how is God not evil in this scenario?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2011, 10:06:22 PM »
To test the faith of one (just ONE) of his followers Satan was "allowed" by God to KILL Job's family....how is God not evil in this scenario?
In the scenario you are talking about , if indeed this was Gods doing, then I would have to admit that is one evil son of a bitch. And no body that I am willing to worship. But that brings me back to the 6 million dollar question. Is the Bible truly the word of God? Again , the more I look at  it , the more I question it.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2011, 10:39:11 PM »
Well. as for me, HMMMMM.

I was  raised a Christian and never met a Christian that mass murdered anyone for any reason. For that matter I never met any mass murderers. But Mao and Pot lived in my time and I doubt they were Christians. I alos doubt they were athiest. The were NUTS!!!!!!!!!

Why do you use two different standards? You limit the standards for Christian to "you know," then you go on to list people how are killers who weren't Christian, but you don't personally know.

This strikes me as more than a little disingenuous.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2011, 01:01:54 AM »

It seemed like god was sending me a personal message to go out and act on my recurring thoughts and kill people. Fortunately I resisted and was able to restore myself.

Same here, more or less. Thanks to my former supernatural beliefs, my head is filled with violent images. Thankfully, I pay no attention to them.

And you would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling brain cells!

Unfortunately yes but I'm better now. I reassure myself that such thoughts are delusional and to be ignored.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2011, 01:31:38 AM »
Let me ask you Riley, do you really want me to believe in god? (If you're smart you'll say "No.")

Wow. Reducing the people. Scary thought.
 As for me wanting you to believe in god. I think that is the problem , You may think that is all theist wants is for you to believe in God or Gods (and some do).

Most of the vocal theists are of the type who want everyone to submit to their god. They don't understand that religion and god only appear to be shared ideas when really everyone has their own view of what god is – why the acronym SPAG came about here. Of course some of those gods get silly and you get SPAGHETTI (Self-Projection As God Helping Everyone To Titter Insanely).    :D

I do not believe you are stupid because you don't believe in God and I don't believe some one that believes in a God that is strange to me is stupid. And if you don't believe in a God I don't believe you stupid.

That's good. Especially since the opposite might be true.
I do not recall which book I read the following in – it was one of the refutations of religion: the author indicated that there has been at least one study showing that theists score an average of 10 points lower on IQ tests than atheists. Given my experiences, I can readily believe that.

Any one that puts down another for the simply reason of not thinking the same , well , those are the ones to keep an eye on. Those are the people that scare me. And they should scare you also. Just saying. Ok, now you can rip this apart.  &)

Okay if I snip it apart instead? Unfortunately people putting each other down for being different is common. It is potentially even hard-wired into us but decent people fight against such urges. When humans were tribal hunter-gatherers different could/would be dangerous so they learned to exclude the different for the good of the tribe. We are no longer primitives – for the most part – so we try to accept others with varying degrees of success.

That is one of the frustrating things about far too many theists: they seek to embrace the dangerous tribal ideals and encourage hatred of those who are different. So, I (we?) keep an eye on the theists - because some of them are scary.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther