Author Topic: oy, History Channel's "Proving God"  (Read 1049 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
oy, History Channel's "Proving God"
« on: December 14, 2011, 09:10:51 AM »
watched about 20 minutes of this drek.   Got to see the claims by a physcist that the parting of the red sea could be true because of winds pushing the water back (he forgot that the water would not be pushed back in a nice straight line and far deeper on the far end, drowning everyone) and claiming that the bible was mistranslated *yet again* so there really weren't hudnreds of thousands of Israelites crossing, but only a few thousand if that. 

I always love to see "devout Christians" depowering their god in their desperate attempts to find any evidence at all for their delusion.   If they actually had faith, why the scrambling for any little bit of "but but it's posssssiiiiiibbbbllleeee"?   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Iamrational

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: oy, History Channel's "Proving God"
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »
All it takes for these god lovers is to get one knucklehead on their show and say, sure, it is possible. Forget about the next 5 minutes they cut out where he/she states the 100 reasons why it could never happen. It is called cornering. Oh and quote mining.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 12:55:09 PM »
watched about 20 minutes of this drek.   Got to see the claims by a physcist that the parting of the red sea could be true because of winds pushing the water back (he forgot that the water would not be pushed back in a nice straight line and far deeper on the far end, drowning everyone) and claiming that the bible was mistranslated *yet again* so there really weren't hudnreds of thousands of Israelites crossing, but only a few thousand if that. 

I always love to see "devout Christians" depowering their god in their desperate attempts to find any evidence at all for their delusion.   If they actually had faith, why the scrambling for any little bit of "but but it's posssssiiiiiibbbbllleeee"?

I notice about 10 years ago it seems that there seeped a very pro-Christian bias to the history channel. There are certainly counter examples(such as the History of Christmas)
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 01:07:42 PM »
they unforunately have discovered that most humans are idiots and don't care about history.  They only care about sensationalism and half-baked nonsense that is cheap adn flashy to film
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +53/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 03:09:30 PM »
And World War II.
Denis Loubet

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »
I saw it too last night. It seemed that the producers were under the impression that finding the mystical Ark of the Covenant, (which they all but declared was in a small guarded "holy place" in Ethiopia) along with verifying that the frontal lobe of the brain was the "God Spot" would prove the existence of BibleGod. I found it to be poorly thought out, condescending to a thinking audience, and overal poorly done.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 06:27:05 PM »
.. along with verifying that the frontal lobe of the brain was the "God Spot" ..

Oh my gosh! I've sure been looking at the wrong area for my wifes "G" spot. Why don't they tell us when these things move?
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 07:14:12 PM »

Oh my gosh! I've sure been looking at the wrong area for my wifes "G" spot. Why don't they tell us when these things move?

Just ask her to show you.  Saves tons of time and frustration.   :?

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +48/-20
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 07:32:29 PM »

Yeah, it's infinitely more probable to get results by asking her than it would be by asking God.
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 07:38:38 PM »

Nah, she's just so awed being married to a "REAL" man like me, she screams "OH GOD!" when I even mention sex.. ;D
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 08:24:19 PM »
It seems that most cable channels cater to those most likely to watch. Statistically, people who get spooked easily tend to watch this stuff, so why provide them with material to disprove their own infantile thoughts?
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »
Well, they have to do that.

On a Christian majority forum (not one devoted to it) I remember years ago when some of them swore off the History Channel because of a Ancient Astronauts episode.

They did that not because it wasn't Christian but because it was a waste of time to watch them if it's something that is so certainly not history.

They have to get those viewers back. 

I remember a show like that 20 years ago and I sat with my trusty King James and checked the references.  The format was to have talking heads presented with opposite opinions on the screen so briefly that I couldn't get the names.  The quality of the skeptical opinions was shown by the Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego episode where the skeptic said that the story was impossible because Bel Marduk had not been worshipped there for 200 years.  Huh?  In polytheism you have a favorite god but none are denied.  And huh?  I don't remember Bel Marduk in the incident in the Bible.  I checked.  Nope.  The Book of Daniel doesn't say of whom the statue was. 

The pseudoscientific explanation was sometimes a fiery furnace has a cool spot.  Then the TV show had them stepping out along with the 4th figure -- the angel -- who raises his arm and blows up the 100 ft idol.  And that isn't in the book, either.

It was aimed at people who don't read science OR their scriptures.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 01:28:30 AM »
I didn't get to watch all of it, but I did watch some to 1/2 of it. From what I have seen, I thought it did a good job of disproving God, or at least the Christian God.

You notice how they try to change up everything to validate the story and scientifically prove a story, but in them trying to prove the story, even if they were correct, they were showing off that their God had absolutely nothing to do with the story at hand, thus making their God, non-existent, and from their own mouths never the less.

In addition, until they can actually find the Ark of the Covenant, they have no room to talk to use it as evidence to prove of a God.

I at least did enjoy the honest Truth of the Church in what they did to the Scientists of old like Galileo and how the church had to 180 everything because they came to find out that Galileo was indeed correct. That being said, you got to love the comment about Christianity not being anti-science despite the history that they talked about and what they did to those like Galileo who were correct in their assertions.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 02:21:16 AM »
... You notice how they try to change up everything to validate the story and scientifically prove a story, but in them trying to prove the story, even if they were correct, they were showing off that their God had absolutely nothing to do with the story at hand, thus making their God, non-existent, and from their own mouths never the less. ...

Depends on what their god is.  So long as their god is their bible, this sort of story won't actually detract from its power.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.