Author Topic: Catholic League Launches "Adopt an Atheist" Campaign  (Read 1096 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Catholic League Launches "Adopt an Atheist" Campaign
« on: December 09, 2011, 04:45:56 PM »
These generous and tireless souls are magnanimously offering to individually "adopt" one of us to help us with "uncovering our inner selves" and finally coming to realize that "we were Christians all along".  How presumptuous and condescending can you get?

http://www.catholicleague.org/adopt-an-atheist-campaign-begins/
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Catholic League Launches "Adopt an Atheist" Campaign
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 04:58:19 PM »

So are we going to draw straws to see who from here gets to play along and get adopted?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 04:58:56 PM »
I say let them. I'll legally change my name to "Lucifer Satan Beelzebub" and wear contacts that will make my irises red. We'll see how many of them adopt me. ;)
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 05:05:56 PM »
I was going to laugh this off until I read the last line.

Who the fuck do these repellent little bastards think they are?

If I was an American atheist I'd be looking forward to one of their 'adoption' emails to see if they consider people who "believe in nothing and are good for nothing" are morally inferior to those who believe paedophilia is just dandy.

See? I can make offensive blanket statements just as well as those little shits.

Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 05:35:19 PM »
I was raised by Catholics once, and still ended up as a non-believer...don't know how being "adopted" by another set will change anything.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 05:47:56 PM »
Thanx for the heads up.  I will read it and anticipate.

Hey, a quotable quote from the link:
If we hurry, these closeted Christians can celebrate Christmas like the rest of us. As an added bonus, they will no longer be looked upon as people who “believe in nothing, stand for nothing and are good for nothing.”

Okay, I'm not going to worry.  The Catholics I know are the type who IMO think Bill Donohue is a jerk.

Gotta sign off now.  I'm meeting a Catholic friend for a couple beers in a few minutes.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:55:09 PM by Historicity »

Offline Herenow

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • all in due time
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 05:54:34 PM »
Quote from: hickdive at 05:05:56 PM
I was going to laugh this off until I read the last line.

I just read the same “believe in nothing, stand for nothing and are good for nothing” out loud to my son and we both laughed! What?! Whoa.. that's quite the assumption isn't it. Rather contradictory as well, since obviously atheists are good for adopting.

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 05:55:30 PM »
Apparently, according to JT Eberhard and Greta Christina, the Catholic League has been so overwhelmed with atheist volunteers for 'adoption' that they've pulled the campaign and insisted that it was all just a light-hearted bit of fun.

Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »
Yeah, Hickdive.   Just this afternoon a friend had to saw a piece of wood on a curb and I was there.  I stepped on the other end of the board to stabilize it.

Atheists aren't good for nothing.  I make a pretty good paperweight.

Gotta go.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 06:57:52 PM »
Thanx for the heads up.  I will read it and anticipate.

Hey, a quotable quote from the link:
If we hurry, these closeted Christians can celebrate Christmas like the rest of us. As an added bonus, they will no longer be looked upon as people who “believe in nothing, stand for nothing and are good for nothing.”

Okay, I'm not going to worry.  The Catholics I know are the type who IMO think Bill Donohue is a jerk.

Gotta sign off now.  I'm meeting a Catholic friend for a couple beers in a few minutes.
NO NO NO ...its a trap.  You will be adopted.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 07:02:29 PM »
  How presumptuous and condescending can you get?

It's pretty standard Catholic ideology.  See, the sacraments themselves are how God interacts with humanity, dontchaknow, and since only the Catholic Church has the sacraments, they do this for the whole wide world.  Seriously, God would be forgotten and abandoned if not for the Holy Mother Church.  We should be grateful that they just want to adopt atheists and not burn them at the stake or stretch them on the rack any more. 

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 07:26:17 PM »
If I'm adopted by one of them do I get extra presents?  If so I'm all in.  ;D
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +781/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 07:32:59 PM »
I always wanted to be adopted.....will my new parents be a king and queen so I can be a princess?

Actually Catholic mass is way cooler as a spectacle than most dry boring US protestant services. Except the pentacostal and holy ghost black choiches.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 09:38:38 PM »
These generous and tireless souls are magnanimously offering to individually "adopt" one of us to help us with "uncovering our inner selves" and finally coming to realize that "we were Christians all along".  How presumptuous and condescending can you get?

If I go all the way and put a fathers collar on could I fuck little boys and get away with it too?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 03:16:37 PM »
I'm surprised the Mormons didn't think of this first.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 03:36:10 PM »
I'm surprised the Mormons didn't think of this first.
The Mormons adopt you after you are dead.  Really.  A descendant who is a Mormon will go to your grave and baptize you and then you will be visited in the afterlife and asked if you want to go to Heaven.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +502/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 04:15:28 PM »
"believe in nothing, stand for nothing, and are good for nothing".  While it is an amusing quip, this is logically meaningless and a red herring.  The fact that atheists do not believe in deities does not mean they believe in nothing; the fact that atheists do not stand for deities does not mean they stand for nothing; so it is obvious that the only thing that atheists, as a rule, are not good for is deities.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »
"believe in nothing, stand for nothing, and are good for nothing".  While it is an amusing quip, this is logically meaningless and a red herring.  The fact that atheists do not believe in deities does not mean they believe in nothing; the fact that atheists do not stand for deities does not mean they stand for nothing; so it is obvious that the only thing that atheists, as a rule, are not good for is deities.

Yes, and its insulting besides. I was amused by the adoption effort until I read that phrase. Useless indeed.  >:(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »
Catholic league has now taken down their "contact us" link. Presumably because they got what they wanted, and atheists have had a field day signing up.

They're on the run, let's advance and insist on our adoptions.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 06:04:08 PM »
So when they adopt us does that mean they got to take us out to dinner and pay and such because I am in then, if  not o well but i am not paying.
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 06:20:12 PM »
So when they adopt us does that mean they got to take us out to dinner and pay and such because I am in then, if  not o well but i am not paying.

Since we are good-for-nothings and they have adopted us they should at least the tuition and books for a technical school.  I'll email my adopter the links to the local community college.  I need a course in more modern versions of C.

Offline Iamrational

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 09:36:23 PM »
Monkey took mine. I was going to tell them no thanks guys I don't you all to be molesting my son and daughter. You be ashamed of yourselves (yes I would purposely lump them all in together just to make them feel perverted.)

I was raised Catholic, so I had first communion and I was confirmed. They were, and remain, extremely unemotional events that I have never felt any connection with.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 10:10:06 PM »
...I was raised Catholic, so I had first communion and I was confirmed. They were, and remain, extremely unemotional events that I have never felt any connection with.

I remember when one of my catholic uncles died. At his funeral the priest droned on and on and everyone, catholics and not, looked bored and as if they were going to fall asleep. Then my (dead) uncle's bagpipe corps would start (they were up in the balcony), and everyone started crying. They'd stop, the priest would start again, and faces got flat and bored again. Bagpipes, more tears. And on it went. I went home and wrote a poem about it, I wish I still had it. I honestly couldn't figure out what the mass was supposed to accomplish. The bagpipes, on the other hand, helped people grieve and remember him. That's what its all about.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 08:18:16 AM »
Apparently, according to JT Eberhard and Greta Christina, the Catholic League has been so overwhelmed with atheist volunteers for 'adoption' that they've pulled the campaign and insisted that it was all just a light-hearted bit of fun.

Aw.  I wanted to see them fail at getting any of us useless atheists to become the Christians we "really" are. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 08:28:38 AM »

Does that mean they will send me free money? If so, I'm in. We have to hear their BS all the time anyways, getting paid for it would be great!
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 08:31:10 AM »
...I was raised Catholic, so I had first communion and I was confirmed. They were, and remain, extremely unemotional events that I have never felt any connection with.

I remember when one of my catholic uncles died. At his funeral the priest droned on and on and everyone, catholics and not, looked bored and as if they were going to fall asleep. Then my (dead) uncle's bagpipe corps would start (they were up in the balcony), and everyone started crying. They'd stop, the priest would start again, and faces got flat and bored again. Bagpipes, more tears. And on it went. I went home and wrote a poem about it, I wish I still had it. I honestly couldn't figure out what the mass was supposed to accomplish. The bagpipes, on the other hand, helped people grieve and remember him. That's what its all about.

I love bagpipes. They are great for mourning music. Music > God when it comes to getting in touch with your feelings.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 08:47:59 AM »
hmm, why is it that these christians always use motivational pictures with a great big bright sun in em?
It's almost as if they worship that thing.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 09:28:57 AM »
hmm, why is it that these christians always use motivational pictures with a great big bright sun in em?

All hail the great god Ra!!! lol

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +781/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »

All hail the great god Ra!!! lol

Don't they always say that when you die you go towards a bright light? Maybe we should be worshipping energy-efficient bulbs. :D
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.