Author Topic: Would you follow the command of a god?  (Read 3189 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +342/-19
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Would you follow the command of a god?
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 10:05:26 AM »
It's easy for us to laugh at the idea, but self reinforcing delusion is a powerful thing.

Velkyn raised the rather obvious hokeyness of the image I chose.  Search your imagination, I'm sure there is something, or someone that could convince you.  Christians have a built in mythology that punishes people who question their delusions (which is why I used a patently Christian image).
Hmmm, I just can't think of one. I think I've internalized too much of James T. Kirk and am a god killer from the get go. 

I think 12 Monkeys has a good point, why not ask for power to complete the task and if none is forthcoming, and the entity wont' do the deed itself, then I'm not going for it.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 11:03:42 AM »
To the OP: "What do you do?"

Go about my day.  No, really. 

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline madame_zora

• Graduate
  • Darwins +3/-1
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 01:28:49 PM »
If it asked me to kill people I either don't know, or care about- I'd lie and tell it whatever it wants to hear, then go on about my day. Now, if it asked me to kill the pope...I'd have to hear it out.
"Reality isn't something we invented to embarrass religious people." ~ captainmanacles

"Looking forward to a continuation of already-eternal life as myriad wandering  atoms doing interesting stuff." ~ Astreja

http://madamezoratoo.blogspot.com/

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +485/-5
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2011, 04:57:52 AM »
He then commands you to go out and kill certain people, two of whom are your own family.  If you fail to do this, there will be great wrath and devastation, millions will die.  If you do this, then your place in the afterlife is secured.  His voice echoes through your head, unmistakably powerful, unmistakably supernatural.  You are utterly certain that what you saw was real.

What do you do?

Based on what I've seen and heard?  No.  Even if convinced that I HAD just seen a super-powerful thingummy, I've still got no information on:

1) Whether it acually has the power to see into the future as it implies, and/or
2) Whether it was just plain old lying to me.

Mystical visions simply won't do it.  I'd have to be convinced both of its ability to acurately predict the future, AND its unquestionable benevolence.....AND, come to that, whether it really had the power to get my into the "nice" afterlife....

...and I'd then ask why if it was so good and powerful, it needed me to do something so against my nature rather than do it himself.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 09:02:40 AM »
....what it would take for you to accept a delusion....

If it showed up in time square, las vegas, or Kabukich? district and a mass amount of people seen it, would it still be considered a delusion?

It could be. There are many examples of mass delusion in history. http://www.csicop.org/si/show/mass_delusions_and_hysterias_highlights_from_the_past_millennium/

Intresting did not know that
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.