Author Topic: a good bit about god and the claim that god defines good  (Read 172 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
a good bit about god and the claim that god defines good
« on: December 09, 2011, 10:23:28 AM »
from one of my favorite bloggers, Greta Christina: http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2011/12/07/what-does-it-mean-that-god-is-good/

It's much of what we've discussed on here, but I like her writing style.

Because this sort of thinking renders the entire concept of good and evil meaningless. It says that if God does something, it’s good by definition. Killing your own child; slaughtering people (including children) by the thousands; torturing people to death (famine, drought, tsunami, pediatric cancer, etc.) — all of it is good, by definition, simply because it’s God doing it. Even if it’s something that would be monstrously, irredeemably evil if a person did it.

Therefore, what “good” and “evil” mean for God are entirely disconnected from what “good” and “evil” mean for people. The concepts literally bear no relation to one another.

Which, if you believe that human goodness emanates from God, is entirely incoherent.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Re: a good bit about god and the claim that god defines good
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »
What an awesome blog! +1 and thanks for sharing the link. It's gone straight into my favorites folder.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +99/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 10:32:38 AM »
 God has a plan if he has to kill the humans 5X over it's part of the plan....... :angel:
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 03:59:20 PM »
from one of my favorite bloggers, Greta Christina.

I've enjoyed her blog too.  And she's authored some interesting books as well *blush*
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz