Author Topic: Where is the christian soul located? Heart? Kidneys? Brain?  (Read 809 times)

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
Where is the christian soul located? Heart? Kidneys? Brain?
« on: December 08, 2011, 08:05:03 PM »
Where is the christian soul located? Heart? Kidneys? Brain?

Does the soul develop or does it spring completely formed and perfect?

When do you get your soul? At conception? Before? At the age of accountability?

Is everyone's soul just alike? Is someone's soul big or little, simple or complex?

;D
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
Re: Where is the christian soul located? Heart? Kidneys? Brain?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 08:27:08 PM »
Where is the christian soul located?

I believe it resides in the gluteus maximus.  That's why churches are filled with pews  :o.

There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 08:34:07 PM »
Where is the christian soul located?

I believe it resides in the gluteus maximus.  That's why churches are filled with pews  :o.
haha, I'll give a +1 for that one.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 08:36:42 PM »
We are created in the image of God.  God is a tri-une (three in one) being. The soul is you (part 1), you inhabit a body (part 2: all limbs may or may not be included), you need a spirit to be tri-une (part 3).  Our spirit needs "born again" (Read John 3).  Note: when Adam ate the apple the spirit died.....he (Adam, a person with a soul) didn't.

The Christian soul is located in the same place your soul is, wherever that is (liver, gonads, gluts).  The soul is you.  Just as Jesus said, "The Father and I are one", so is a born again spirit one with God.
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +787/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 08:38:17 PM »
I'm guessing mine was in my tonsils, so when they got taken out at age 2, whoosh.

Why else would I be an atheist?
Jesus! The cracker-flavored treat!

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 08:39:32 PM »
Funny you should ask that question.

Last night I was surfing youtube and stumbled across a video about Dr. Konstantin Korotkov and his use of GDV (Gas Discharge Visualization). Enjoy  8)

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 08:46:02 PM »

Last night I was surfing youtube and stumbled across a video about Dr. Konstantin Korotkov and his use of GDV (Gas Discharge Visualization). Enjoy  8)

Wow, you have the smoking gun!  Better buy his software!

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 08:48:08 PM »
"Faith is under the left nipple."
---Martin Luther

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 08:50:41 PM »

That's that old Kirlian stuff.  Enough electrostatic charge and moisture on the surface becomes charged with electrons.  Electrons repel each other so the moisture is propelled off.  What you're seeing is vaporized sweat.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 08:51:50 PM »
Gas Discharge Visualization

Ha!  I rest my case.

BTW - thanks Nick!
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 08:52:04 PM »

You MOCK me!
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 08:57:28 PM »
Here's a 1993 article by Ed Babinski:

http://www.skeptictank.org/files//skeptic2/11brain.htm  which starts:

Does the Bible or the witless Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz mention the brain more frequently?  If your answer was the scarecrow, you are right. The Bible mentions a number of key human organs, such as the heart, blood, bowels, liver, and kidneys, but never mentions the most important organ of all, the brain.

And so on.  It's a good read, not too long.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 09:00:57 PM »

You MOCK me!

I'm a sinner...I had to return mock for mock.  Bible says we "might" not sin.  God knows my heart... a sinner.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 09:09:35 PM »
By the way, I love that song:

? I could wile away the hours ?
Conferrin' with the flowers
Consultin' with the rain ?
And my head I'd be scratchin'
While my thoughts were busy hatchin' ?
? If I only had a brain ?

I'd unravel any riddle
? For any individ'le ?
In trouble or in pain

(Dorothy):
? With the thoughts you'd be thinkin'
You could be another Lincoln ?
? If you only had a brain ?

(Scarecrow):
? Oh, I would tell you why
The ocean's near the shore ?
I could think of things I never thunk before
? And then I'd sit and think some more

? I would not be just a nuffin'
My head all full of stuffin'
My heart all full of pain ?
? I would dance and be merry ?
Life would be a ding-a-derry
? If I only had a brain ?

Offline free

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • We didn't land on Mt Sinai, Mt Sinai landed on us!
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 09:28:27 PM »
We are created in the image of God.  God is a tri-une (three in one) being. The soul is you (part 1), you inhabit a body (part 2: all limbs may or may not be included), you need a spirit to be tri-une (part 3).  Our spirit needs "born again" (Read John 3).  Note: when Adam ate the apple the spirit died.....he (Adam, a person with a soul) didn't.

The Christian soul is located in the same place your soul is, wherever that is (liver, gonads, gluts).  The soul is you.  Just as Jesus said, "The Father and I are one", so is a born again spirit one with God.

Please clarify the difference between my 'soul' and my 'spirit'.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 09:45:39 PM »

This is difficult.  Have you ever eaten a "T" bone steak?  If you have, where does the bone stop and the marrow begin?  Hebrews 4:12  "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

The difference is so close.  Only the Bible can differentiate.  The soul and spirit are so close.  I don't know how to answer you question better than this.

John Chapter 3.....

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 09:54:48 PM »
JP,
how is the "Spirit" or "soul different from the mind of the person? Or is it the same thing?
Is your soul your thinking mind?

Offline free

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 10:10:29 PM »

This is difficult.  Have you ever eaten a "T" bone steak?  If you have, where does the bone stop and the marrow begin?  Hebrews 4:12  "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

The difference is so close.  Only the Bible can differentiate.  The soul and spirit are so close.  I don't know how to answer you question better than this.

John Chapter 3.....

The bone is the hard white part, the marrow is the spongy inner reddish part.  Easy.  That's my point.  You're just parroting without anything thought behind what you're saying, or frankly without even understanding what you're saying. 

Think very hard about things before you claim to believe them.  Just because some less sophisticated culture 2000 years ago said you have three things (of which you can't define), that doesn't make it true.  Why not writings of the Hindus and the Taoists?  Those are old and tell people to believe in a deity also.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 10:30:18 PM »
JP,
how is the "Spirit" or "soul different from the mind of the person? Or is it the same thing?
Is your soul your thinking mind?

You are diving deep.  It's hard for me to answer your question on a reasonable/rational level.  I can only respond to you based on my own understanding, which is not based on scripture, but my understanding of scripture.  I believe the soul is the thinking mind.  Being filled with the spirit doesn't make one's mind "unthinking", which many on this site will disagree with.   I believe God is a Spirit and the Bible was written for spiritual beings.  That you need to be "born again" (John 3:) to understand.  Although this seems ridiculous to a rational mind, it fits.  To me it is the only thing that makes sense, but I don't know how to explain it rationally to a genius who doesn't believe it.

The Bible was written by 40 different men over a period of 1,500 years.  It all fits together.  The odds of the OT prophesies coming true are astronomical.  Yet they did come true in Jesus.

It boils down too: do you believe the Bible? or Hawking, Einstein, Greene, Historicity, Hatter, etc.

Do you think your soul lives after your body breaks down and stops working?

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +236/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 11:16:52 PM »
You are diving deep.  It's hard for me to answer your question on a reasonable/rational level. 

Isn't this the hallmark of someone who's about to say a whole bunch of bullshit they can't prove in any way, shape or form?  Is anyone else automatically going into /eyeroll mode before they even read the rest?  And much like a massive 10 car pile up on the highway, NONE of you can resist looking at the rest of what he wrote, right? Or is that just me? 

I can only respond to you based on my own understanding, which is not based on scripture, but my understanding of scripture. 

And the traffic slows down on both sides of the road... can't...look.... away! 

I believe the soul is the thinking mind.  Being filled with the spirit doesn't make one's mind "unthinking", which many on this site will disagree with.   I believe God is a Spirit and the Bible was written for spiritual beings.  That you need to be "born again" (John 3:) to understand.  Although this seems ridiculous to a rational mind, it fits.  To me it is the only thing that makes sense, but I don't know how to explain it rationally to a genius who doesn't believe it.

Terrible.   

jtp, just because your 'reasoning' makes theological sense (or 'fits) to you, does that in any way make it true?  I mean, you can rationalize anything you want here.  Using the word 'spirit' just makes the whole thing a mess, because you can't just toss it in there as some sort of given fact that it exists.  The conversation is already off on the wrong foot the minute you say "X causes Y" if both sides do not agree on whether X exists. 

The Bible was written by 40 different men over a period of 1,500 years.  It all fits together.  The odds of the OT prophesies coming true are astronomical.  Yet they did come true in Jesus.

That's... just so wrong.  For centuries, thousands of scribes, monks, priests, etc, have manipulated, changed, rewritten, copied and recopied other error filled copies of the bible, so much so that we have no way of knowing what the original authors even said anymore.  We have no idea who wrote a good portion of the bible.  The gospels are NOT eyewitness accounts.  There are contradictions and errors all over the place.  It does NOT all fit together.  In fact, only when you read the individual books for themselves can you see what each author was trying to say.   

The OT prophecies... damn man, that is such a dead argument.  Look, if you found a really old book that talked about the future actions of some future character, how hard would it be for you to write a book, today, with a character that filled all the 'prophecies' you found in that book?  The gospel writers had copies of the OT with them when they wrote the gospels, jtp.  Is this really that difficult for you to understand? 

I guess a better way to look at it is this... Is it more likely that some God spawned human came down into a virgin, popped out, did a bunch of miraculous stuff, satisfied a whole crap load of prophecies, died, came back to life, and then went up to heaven sometime later.... or... Is it more likely that the people who wrote the gospels just filled in the blanks, because they wanted people to believe that Jesus was the messiah?  Do we know people lie?  Yes.  Do we know people tell stories?  Yes.  Do we know people can be fooled by lies?  Yes.  It is vastly more likely that the latter is true, and you know it.  The whole prophecy argument is stupid.

It boils down too: do you believe the Bible? or Hawking, Einstein, Greene, Historicity, Hatter, etc.

Given the amount of proof for the biblical claims, and given the amount of proof for what Hawking and Einstein claimed, anyone who goes with the bible should have their head examined.  It's completely ridiculous. 

Here are two good quotes for you, from an atheist, that will sum up what I believe. 

“Imagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly.” - Isaac Asimov.

"I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be.”  - Also, Isaac Asimov. 

I would believe in God if there were evidence for it, but the evidence would have to be overwhelming.  That's just the way it is.  That is the same way I approach most, if not all of the things in my life.  I don't see any reason to dump that process when it comes to religion.  The fact that there is ZERO evidence for God is a big issue for me. 

There is no such thing as a soul.  Prove me wrong. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 06:54:40 AM »
You are diving deep.  It's hard for me to answer your question on a reasonable/rational level.  I can only respond to you based on my own understanding, which is not based on scripture, but my understanding of scripture.  I believe the soul is the thinking mind.  ..

How do you balance the Idea that the mind and the soul are the same (or directly linked) under this verse?
( from http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/14-14.htm )

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

Bible in Basic English
For if I make use of tongues in my prayers, my spirit makes the prayer, but not my mind.

As a christian, I used to believe the same as you've stated, but now, as an atheist, I don't think I have a soul and upon death. I will go back to the nothingness that I knew before my birth.

We a a massive multicellular organism. Just like a huge corporation, after a few years, there are no more original founding members inside. At my age now, I don't have any of the original cells I was born with, they are all dead. When I look at my photos of myself as a cute little boy, I have to realize that that kid, in his entirety, is already dead. The fact that his death was very gradual doesn't change the fact. So if the my soul was linked to any cells in my birth body, then I lost it gradually over the years, unless it is like you say, connected to my mind.

But drugs and brain injuries can change the mind in contrast to free will, which is very problematic for a soul. Do retarded people have retarded souls? Do highly intelligent people have highly intelligent souls?

Offline free

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 07:31:50 AM »

We have a whole board to address this.  It's called Biblical Contradictions, check it out.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 09:56:23 AM »
  Again, this is a lie.  There is no evidence of any prophecies coming true and plenty of indication that they have not.  That's why we still have Jews.

in that they don't lie and claim things that never happened, I think it's rather obvious. It's so sweet to see a Christian being a hypocrite again and cherrying pickign science.

what happens to this soul when you have brain damage? Is this spirit damaged as evidently the case, damaged by the physical?  Can't god get this right either?
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline songpak3000

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 03:32:07 AM »
The soul is comprised of the will, mind, and emotions.  It means that the soul resides inside the human body and is like a spirit.  There have been accounts where people have died and suddenly they have felt their soul leave their body and they could see everything happening around them.  They could look down and see the doctors and the dead body laying there but the soul would be able to hear, see, all this going on.  It is not in a particular organ but in the body which is made up of more than just the physical aspects.  When referring to a soul, it means their spirit.  When Christians die, they believe that their soul will be caught up in the air on rapture day and will be unitied with a new a perfected glorious body like Christ's.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 07:58:30 AM »
^Sounds very New Age and magical. 
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 09:09:40 AM »
The soul is comprised of the will, mind, and emotions.  It means that the soul resides inside the human body and is like a spirit.  There have been accounts where people have died and suddenly they have felt their soul leave their body and they could see everything happening around them.  They could look down and see the doctors and the dead body laying there but the soul would be able to hear, see, all this going on.  It is not in a particular organ but in the body which is made up of more than just the physical aspects.  When referring to a soul, it means their spirit.  When Christians die, they believe that their soul will be caught up in the air on rapture day and will be unitied with a new a perfected glorious body like Christ's.

^^^ What a load of baseless piffle  &)

Are you saying that as a personal opinion and belief that it is true ? ....Or are you just parroting what you've heard the theists say ?

"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 09:10:12 AM »
The soul is comprised of the will, mind, and emotions.

So... it's the brain?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 10:06:24 AM »

which have all been shown to be nothing "magical".  Song, at least do some research rather than just spewing the comforting lies you've read on other lying theist websites.

and no, not all Christians believe that their soul will be caught up on "rapture day".  Some think they'll go bodily to heaven, some think that the dead are in heaven now, etc.  Again, more lovely examples of Christians' not having a clue.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 12:46:02 PM »
So Identical Twins, those who were conceived as a single egg, received one soul at conception, but upon splitting, have to go through life on just half a soul? How fair is that?  Why doesn't the bible mention this? Is it because bronze age shepards didn't know anything about blastomere splitting?