Author Topic: real flood/tsunami research  (Read 425 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
real flood/tsunami research
« on: October 29, 2008, 03:00:38 PM »
"The Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004 was not the first of its size to hit the region, according to new research.

Two international collaborations have sampled the sediments in Thailand and Sumatra to examine tsunami history.

At both sites, there was evidence of sediment laid down by a large tsunami between 600 and 700 years ago, pre-dating written and oral records."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7697482.stm

you can see the layers of the repeated waves over time They have very distinct features, so we know what they are.  This is what real geology is, not the creationist nonsense that many people spout without understanding even the basics. 

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline PingTheServer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Devil's Advocate
Re: real flood/tsunami research
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 08:28:34 PM »
God is testing you.  Hey you wanna go to hell forever, or come to my church with me, and maybe give a few bucks if you want to come back?  Totally your call, no pressure.

Offline Sota

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 11:05:07 PM »
Geologists are on my list of the coolest people ever.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 12:56:06 AM »
But that flood was almost... biblical in proportion!
Isn't that good enough for you 'sciency types' that keep on with your 'evidence'?

Nice post.  Not such good news for Thailand though if it means they're prone to huge population squeeges every so often.  Better invest in concrete pillars and Tsunami resistant housing.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 09:49:23 AM »
But that flood was almost... biblical in proportion!
Isn't that good enough for you 'sciency types' that keep on with your 'evidence'?

Nice post.  Not such good news for Thailand though if it means they're prone to huge population squeeges every so often.  Better invest in concrete pillars and Tsunami resistant housing.

I do love that term "population squeegees".  What's sad is that the problem will only get worse with sea level rise.  The slow-motion "population squeegee" is emptying islands in the Pacific. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/