Author Topic: Another example of fine religious moral standards  (Read 1437 times)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +103/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Re: Another example of fine religious moral standards
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 07:54:58 PM »
Or are you saying that if someone believed God told them to kill them the fault falls on religion?

Yes god says to kill both infidels and witches. God has ordered many thousands of deaths in the bible, haven't you ever read any of it? Or are you just in denial?

Again watch the video..
Ok , I think I understand what you are saying, I just don't see it that way. Do I believe in God? Yes I do. Do I blame God for all of the crap that man does. Why would I , or why would anyone. Does some people read a book or hear a song ( I.C.P.) and go stupid? Yes but blaming that on the book or the song is screwed up and just throwing blame instead of facing the problem. The problem being that there are alot of messed up people out there.
So you are saying God never commanded the deaths of people who questioned or opposed him?

http://rarebible.wordpress.com/2009/08/30/god-orders-saul-to-kill-babies/

In this verse God is angry because his follower did NOT kill all he was commanded to kill
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 08:06:32 PM »
12 Monkeys:
Very easy answer, the stuff that is there makes a few white guys very rich
Is the colour of their skin relevant?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +103/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 08:10:23 PM »
^^^ he asked why the west was still sticking their nose over there......I simply stated the truth.......if they were not making money that place would have been glass decades ago
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2011, 08:40:55 PM »
That doesn't answer my question.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +103/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 11:40:36 PM »
would rich Caucasians fit better? are they caucasins who have been exploiting the oil industry profits or not? if there was no oil there would the people in the USA care about relations in the middle east? Did I neglect to say Rich Arabs as well....is that your point? Arabs are also profiting
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 11:43:00 PM by 12 Monkeys »

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
  • learn to laugh at yourself. I am.
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2011, 03:25:32 AM »
Or are you saying that if someone believed God told them to kill them the fault falls on religion?

Yes god says to kill both infidels and witches. God has ordered many thousands of deaths in the bible, haven't you ever read any of it? Or are you just in denial?

Again watch the video..
OK , I think I understand what you are saying, I just don't see it that way. Do I believe in God? Yes I do. Do I blame God for all of the crap that man does. Why would I , or why would anyone. Does some people read a book or hear a song ( I.C.P.) and go stupid? Yes but blaming that on the book or the song is screwed up and just throwing blame instead of facing the problem. The problem being that there are alot of messed up people out there.
So you are saying God never commanded the deaths of people who questioned or opposed him?

In this verse God is angry because his follower did NOT kill all he was commanded to kill
No I am not saying God has never commanded the death of people. What I am saying is the only thing that one could take as evidence for God commanding this(in this story of the bible) is the word of a man that may have something to gain from the very action the he is saying God commanded. Sounds like they maybe leaving a little of the information out or adding a little for their own purpose. This is just one of the things that I am struggling with.
Most people think they know what they know. The problem starts by not knowing what you don't know. You know?  (Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence)   (Albert Einstein)One fool can ask more questions in a minute than twelve wise men can answer in an hour.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline free

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • We didn't land on Mt Sinai, Mt Sinai landed on us!
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2011, 09:18:07 AM »
No I am not saying God has never commanded the death of people. What I am saying is the only thing that one could take as evidence for God commanding this(in this story of the bible) is the word of a man that may have something to gain from the very action the he is saying God commanded. Sounds like they maybe leaving a little of the information out or adding a little for their own purpose. This is just one of the things that I am struggling with.

The entire bible is like this.  That's one of the biggest problems a lot of atheists have with organized religion.  It's mostly written to fit the agenda of the people in charge at the time.  Your response here shows another problem we have, people selecting which passages the want to believe and which they don't.  You can't simply say that the bible is true, except this one part that I don't like.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2011, 12:35:15 PM »
Exactly right.  Religion has had this all thru history.

And WTF are we still doing over there?
Very easy answer,the stuff that is there makes a few white guys very rich,and they will do what they have to to keep it that way.....much like the Gold rush helped kill the Indians in North America
[/quote]

I agree with your points about greed being often a "hidden" motivator. Follow the money, explains a large number of the world's "religious" or "moral" conflicts.

I would further agree that religion has been abused by the powers that be to manipulate the masses. That is different from saying that the powers that be fully created religion. That isn't always true. It was there and for the most part, they exploited it, sometimes they bent it or even corrupted it to serve their purposes.

I don't agree if you are associating:
1) whiteness with racism
2) wealth with racism
3) maleness with racism
4) any of the above with wealth or corruption
5) religion as being only inititated by the wealthy

In the case of the American Indians, I certainly agree, white people, not all of whom were "rich", motivated by greed, using religion partially as an excuse, stole their land and even performed some degree of genocide on them.

Without religion and without white people, I think its highly likely that the technologically background Indians in North America, would eventually get exploited by a more powerful greedy civilization with better technology.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2011, 12:40:52 PM »
would rich Caucasians fit better? are they caucasins who have been exploiting the oil industry profits or not? if there was no oil there would the people in the USA care about relations in the middle east? Did I neglect to say Rich Arabs as well....is that your point? Arabs are also profiting

What about the Chinese and the Pakistani's or the Turks?  :police:

Your key point that our interest in the middle east is related to their oil wealth is true. Yes, we are involved in the middle east because oil is a stragic resource.

The definition of caucasion here is also a bit arbitrary. Lots of arabs are quite white in complection. Some Italians are kind of darkish.

Anyway, its currently true that caucasion powers still dominate. China and to a lesser extent India are rising. They won't behave differently.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 01:16:44 PM »

The entire bible is like this.  That's one of the biggest problems a lot of atheists have with organized religion.  It's mostly written to fit the agenda of the people in charge at the time.  Your response here shows another problem we have, people selecting which passages the want to believe and which they don't.  You can't simply say that the bible is true, except this one part that I don't like.
I think you hit it on the nail with this, I too have a problem with organized religion. Most of it looks like they are more interested in their likes and dislikes then they are about learning more about the God they are worshipping.(realizing of course that you do not believe in God) But my biggest problem is I am starting to wonder if I am not guilty of the same thing.  :-\ The more I think about and read the Bible it would seem that I am picking out the things I agree with and dismissing the things that I see as absurd or unbelievable.
 Oh hell, maybe I just need another dose of ( how did Jeff put it? Oh yea) Jesus juice form the local church.  :laugh:
Most people think they know what they know. The problem starts by not knowing what you don't know. You know?  (Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence)   (Albert Einstein)One fool can ask more questions in a minute than twelve wise men can answer in an hour.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +103/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 02:17:46 PM »

What about the Chinese and the Pakistani's or the Turks?  :police:

Your key point that our interest in the middle east is related to their oil wealth is true. Yes, we are involved in the middle east because oil is a stragic resource.

The definition of caucasion here is also a bit arbitrary. Lots of arabs are quite white in complection. Some Italians are kind of darkish.

Anyway, its currently true that caucasion powers still dominate. China and to a lesser extent India are rising. They won't behave differently.
The question asked was why was America in the middle east or why do they care about the middle east

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2011, 05:00:05 PM »
12Monkeys:
The question asked was why was America in the middle east or why do they care about the middle east
And your answer superfluously referred to skin colour (as if all Americans in the oil industry or who have an interest in the Middle East were white).

Free to 12Monkeys in a Darwin:
For dealing well with the race guy, it's ok to say white.
It's OK to mention someone's skin colour or race when it's relevant to an issue.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +103/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2011, 07:05:16 PM »
12Monkeys:
And your answer superfluously referred to skin colour (as if all Americans in the oil industry or who have an interest in the Middle East were white).

Free to 12Monkeys in a Darwin:
For dealing well with the race guy, it's ok to say white.
It's OK to mention someone's skin colour or race when it's relevant to an issue.
I get what you are saying.....Generally it (before regular guys invested in mutual funds and stocks) WASP's profiting from oil,was it not? Generally speaking who was profiting from oil,in your opinion before middle class people started investing in mutual funds and rrsp's,who was the biggest beneficiary of the oil industry in America? Why does this upset you so much?

Offline free

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2011, 07:26:18 PM »

I think you hit it on the nail with this, I too have a problem with organized religion. Most of it looks like they are more interested in their likes and dislikes then they are about learning more about the God they are worshipping.(realizing of course that you do not believe in God) But my biggest problem is I am starting to wonder if I am not guilty of the same thing.  :-\ The more I think about and read the Bible it would seem that I am picking out the things I agree with and dismissing the things that I see as absurd or unbelievable.
 Oh hell, maybe I just need another dose of ( how did Jeff put it? Oh yea) Jesus juice form the local church.  :laugh:

Don't feel bad, most people do this.  I would say a dose of Jesus is the last thing you need.  Take a dose of reason instead.  Here is one from Napoleon Bonaparte: Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 

Be loud.

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2011, 07:33:30 PM »
Generally it (before regular guys invested in mutual funds and stocks) WASP's profiting from oil,was it not?
The dynamics of the global oil industry aren't racial, they're national. Skin colour isn't a factor, so why mention it?

Why does this upset you so much?
Why do you think I'm upset when I'm not?

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2011, 07:46:47 PM »

Again watch the video..
OK , I think I understand what you are saying, I just don't see it that way. Do I believe in God? Yes I do. Do I blame God for all of the crap that man does. Why would I , or why would anyone. Does some people read a book or hear a song ( I.C.P.) and go stupid? Yes but blaming that on the book or the song is screwed up and just throwing blame instead of facing the problem. The problem being that there are alot of messed up people out there.

It is not what I am saying that is at question here. However are you saying that God commanded the deaths of people who questioned or opposed him? What I am saying is, because a book tells you to do something you know is wrong , and you do it , then you are going to blame the book? Really?
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline free

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2011, 10:11:41 PM »

Again watch the video..

It is not what I am saying that is at question here. However are you saying that God commanded the deaths of people who questioned or opposed him? What I am saying is, because a book tells you to do something you know is wrong , and you do it , then you are going to blame the book? Really?

First, anthropomorphism.  No one is blaming the book, they are blaming the institution which endorses the book and encourage their masses to follow the teachings of the book.

And absolutely, the world's religions are to blame for a huge number of the world's problems. I'll even quote Blaise Pascal, who theists love for Pascal's wager: Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.

Pascal is right here, see what the cause of most wars and most acts of terror are.  When these acts are made in the name of religion, the blame is shared between the individual and the institution.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +103/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2011, 12:47:00 AM »
^^^^ also if the book is the word of God and God commands people to kill in it, then what is that gods or his peoples motivation for their actions......In the book there is a command by God and the action by his followers that followed said command.....other followers use it as an example for the actions they take or a justification

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +103/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2011, 12:51:46 AM »
Generally it (before regular guys invested in mutual funds and stocks) WASP's profiting from oil,was it not?
The dynamics of the global oil industry aren't racial, they're national. Skin colour isn't a factor, so why mention it?

Why does this upset you so much?
Why do you think I'm upset when I'm not?
the subjuct I brought up was the reason the US has an interest in the middle east........oil is money ......who made the money?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:53:43 AM by 12 Monkeys »

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2011, 08:55:10 AM »

Question, Riley, do you believe that this book came from a divine source? 

It sounds like you are going to the usual Christian excuses, decidign that you (or the particular church you ascribe to) is the only ones who know what your God "really" meant.  YOu want to accept the story of the resurrection so you get your magic afterlife, but you try to ignore the violent, puerile god that you get with that package.   We have this god repeatedly wanted people murdered for it.  We have this god intentionally allowing people murdered for a bet with its supposed arch enemy.  And we have JC himself saying that's its nifty for believers to bring the non-believers before him and murder them too (Luke 19). 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2011, 10:18:25 AM »
Quote from: riley Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 03:52:54 PM

Actually the Bible, and even the Qu'ran and the Torah all tell their followers that they must kill certain people because either their sin is that great of a sin and/or because to allow such actions committed by those particular sinners to spread to other people (such as homosexuality etc.,) would be devastating.  So, in that particular case you can blame the particular religion since their "holy" scripture tells them to do it.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2011, 10:25:22 AM »
Actually the Bible, and even the Qu'ran and the Torah all tell their followers that they must kill certain people because either their sin is that great of a sin and/or because to allow such actions committed by those particular sinners to spread to other people (such as homosexuality etc.,) would be devastating.  So, in that particular case you can blame the particular religion since their "holy" scripture tells them to do it.

-Nam

For what it's worth the Koran is much more creative when it comes to murdering heretics. Pouring boiling water down the throats of nonbelievers is one of the more quirky ones.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2011, 10:31:57 AM »
^Yes. I agree.  But, the english version seems watered-down a bit in comparison to the literal arabic language it was written in.  I could be wrong, though.  I sometimes am.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2011, 11:40:52 AM »

Riley...I think what they are trying to say is that people don't kill people, ideology does. Which is totally fucked up. So I see your problem with understanding the discussion.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2011, 11:47:49 AM »

Question, Riley, do you believe that this book came from a divine source? 

It sounds like you are going to the usual Christian excuses, decidign that you (or the particular church you ascribe to) is the only ones who know what your God "really" meant.  YOu want to accept the story of the resurrection so you get your magic afterlife, but you try to ignore the violent, puerile god that you get with that package.   We have this god repeatedly wanted people murdered for it.  We have this god intentionally allowing people murdered for a bet with its supposed arch enemy.  And we have JC himself saying that's its nifty for believers to bring the non-believers before him and murder them too (Luke 19).
I did believe the book came from a divine source. Now I am thinking that it was suppose to come from a divine source and a lot of man make things was written into it . But the problem that poses is which part was divine and which part was man made? It would seem that my belief system is being chipped away at faster than I can put a bandaid on it to hold it in place.( As for my church being the only one that is right, of course it is) . :laugh: If I believed my church was right and had all of the answers I would not be here searching for things that may prove God exists or may not exist. I may be a slow learning or maybe I just want to make sure I am learning the correct things. :-\
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2011, 11:49:37 AM »

Riley...I think what they are trying to say is that people don't kill people, ideology does. Which is totally fucked up. So I see your problem with understanding the discussion.
Thanks, for a min. there I Thought I really was stupid. &)
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2011, 12:16:55 PM »
]I did believe the book came from a divine source. Now I am thinking that it was suppose to come from a divine source and a lot of man make things was written into it . But the problem that poses is which part was divine and which part was man made? It would seem that my belief system is being chipped away at faster than I can put a bandaid on it to hold it in place.( As for my church being the only one that is right, of course it is) . :laugh: If I believed my church was right and had all of the answers I would not be here searching for things that may prove God exists or may not exist. I may be a slow learning or maybe I just want to make sure I am learning the correct things. :-\
Yep, you got it.  All Christians simply create a bible that they like, that has nothing to do with a magic god.  The parts they like, those are “obviously” from God and those that they don’t like, well, *those* must be from man. 

And I say that you are looking for things that are supported, not necessarily “correct” since that is oh-so often subjective. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/