Author Topic: The Sickening Predjudice of Believers  (Read 2080 times)

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
The Sickening Predjudice of Believers
« on: December 02, 2011, 10:13:40 AM »

Read this my atheist comrades and try to stop your blood from boiling  :(

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2011/12/01/do-christians-believe-in-atheists-ubc-study-finds-believers-distrust-atheists-as-much-as-rapists/

The Study at length, that "offers the first known systematic exploration of the social psychological processes underlying anti-atheist prejudice, and also contributes to the scientific understanding of both the psychology of prejudices and the cultural evolutionary landscape of religion", is here:

http://www2.psych.ubc.ca/~ara/Manuscripts/Gervais%20et%20al-%20Atheist%20Distrust.pdf

Believers being he most untrustworthy and irrational group on the planet, refuse to trust the most principled and rational group on the planet ??

Oh the Irony !

;)

"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: The Sickening Predjudice of Believers
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 10:28:48 AM »
but pretty expected. There's no one a charlatan hate more than somone who shows him to be the fake he is.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 11:15:43 PM »
I find it funny that when I told my friends that I did not believe in GoD how many stop letting their kids hang out with mine. Although losing three friends was not a great loss.   
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 11:18:18 PM »
This is the result of thousands of years of uninterrupted religious slander.

Harmless my ass.
Denis Loubet

Offline thunderridge

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 01:39:46 AM »
The silly thing is you can't lump people into a category expecting same behaviors from those in the same category.  We are all individuals and there are untrustworthy people and trustworthy people in all categories whether they be Muslims, xians, atheists,  Hindus or whatever.

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 04:11:35 AM »
I would argue that if people self identify as a member of a group, it's not unjustified to have expectations regarding those people.

The difference is that the only thing atheists have in common is a lack of belief in any gods. Those that self identify as Christian, however, are assumed to have many things in common, or there's no point in calling oneself Christian.
Denis Loubet

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 04:17:57 AM »
Am I the only one who pities the theists, knowing what kinds of awesome people they will never meet and/or trust because of their prejudice?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 07:38:46 AM »

Read this my atheist comrades and try to stop your blood from boiling  :(

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2011/12/01/do-christians-believe-in-atheists-ubc-study-finds-believers-distrust-atheists-as-much-as-rapists/

The Study at length, that "offers the first known systematic exploration of the social psychological processes underlying anti-atheist prejudice, and also contributes to the scientific understanding of both the psychology of prejudices and the cultural evolutionary landscape of religion", is here:

http://www2.psych.ubc.ca/~ara/Manuscripts/Gervais%20et%20al-%20Atheist%20Distrust.pdf

Believers being he most untrustworthy and irrational group on the planet, refuse to trust the most principled and rational group on the planet ??

Oh the Irony !

;)

Sad but not surprising based on my non-scientific sampling.  Prior to coming to this website, I had a rather simple picture of how ALL atheists were angry people who had a bad church experience and were now taking it out on all believers.  To my surprise and enlightenment I discovered the people at this sight are just as human as I am and that (surprise!) not all of them are angry.  Participating in this site has been a great experience and one I enjoy very much.

Having shared my experience with other theists the one constant I see in their faces is fear or concern.  It doesn't seem to matter how I present my experiences, the result is always an extreme reluctance to explore for themselves.  Not sure how to get around this but will keep on trying. 

Enough babbling.

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 08:10:42 AM »
Yes, fear and concern sums it up nicely.  The threat to them is exposing the whole thing...don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 08:25:13 AM »
Yes, fear and concern sums it up nicely.  The threat to them is exposing the whole thing...don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain.

You may be right.  The fear or concern I am sensing is more along the lines that (thanks to various literalist fear-mongers) all the atheists are angry and out to destroy all religious institutions and replace it with a godless-Darwinian society with no social restraint at all (i.e. social and political anarchy).  Frankly, if that were true, it would scare me also.  [it's not true, right?]  :)

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 08:27:40 AM »
[it's not true, right?]  :)

You have nothing to worry about... :angel:
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline free

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • We didn't land on Mt Sinai, Mt Sinai landed on us!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 10:20:11 AM »
It's scary out there.  I am (legally?) raised Catholic and teach Physics and Engineering at a Orthodox Jewish Yeshiva (recession man).  I am basically shunned by my co-workers for being part of the goyim; I could never come out atheist and keep my job.   I wonder if I'd get legal protection...

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +771/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »
Distrust, for christians, esp. The fundy variety, is a concept for their convenience. It only applies when they see a need to be righteous.  I think I've told the story before of the very christian contractor I worked for. After wrongly accusing the tiny company I worked for of causing a long delay in the completion of a house (when he knew well that it was due to his neglect), I asked him how he, as a committed and vocal Christian he could lie about about who caused the problem, he said with a very straight face "This is business".  I should point out that my boss was an ardent attendee of the bible study group this man founded and bragged about. And he had no idea that I was an atheist. And he was accusing both of us. Trustworthiness at that point was not convenient for him.

I'm almost completely trustworthy. Believers can safely trust me with their kids, their wives, their possessions and their money. But they can't trust me with their delusions. Those I want to steal from them.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 12:27:28 PM »
the atheists are angry and out to destroy all religious institutions and replace it with a godless-Darwinian society with no social restraint at all (i.e. social and political anarchy).  Frankly, if that were true, it would scare me also.  [it's not true, right?] 
It's true if the atheist is Ayn Rand.  For her either you are a creative genius at the top of a Darwinian/Nietschean heap or you are a parasite who should just plain die.

One of her heroes bragged about stealing from the poor.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 09:38:42 AM »
feh, Rand was as much a megalomaniac as atheist.  What a nut case. 

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 08:32:36 AM »
I have often thought it unfair (I realize life is not fair, doesn't mean we can't work to make it more so!) that Atheists are essentially an unrecognized minority, one that almost seems to unite typically opposing groups against it. White Christians who are bigots against gays, blacks, etc. might suddenly find something in common with them if they had to unite against an atheist "threat".

How is such a prejudice considered so acceptable? I have heard at times Christians complaining about the "persecution" Christians have had to endure throughout the ages, yet they NEVER have any problem persecuting atheists (or anyone else they deem unworthy), and it is still in practice today, as evidenced by people being unwilling to hire atheists for certain jobs or elect them president. It's truly shameful.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline free

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 09:21:14 AM »
I have often thought it unfair (I realize life is not fair, doesn't mean we can't work to make it more so!) that Atheists are essentially an unrecognized minority, one that almost seems to unite typically opposing groups against it. White Christians who are bigots against gays, blacks, etc. might suddenly find something in common with them if they had to unite against an atheist "threat".

How is such a prejudice considered so acceptable? I have heard at times Christians complaining about the "persecution" Christians have had to endure throughout the ages, yet they NEVER have any problem persecuting atheists (or anyone else they deem unworthy), and it is still in practice today, as evidenced by people being unwilling to hire atheists for certain jobs or elect them president. It's truly shameful.

McCarthyism?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 10:01:41 AM »

McCarthyism?

Forgive me, but it's not clear whether you are saying what I described is similar to McCarthyism, or that I am an advocate of McCarthyism. I suspect the former. It is very much like McCarthyism, essentially black-listing Atheists for the crime of... ummm... exercising their Constitutional rights? As I've said before, it seems like the Constitution only applies to God fearing gun owners. If you are an atheist, you're not a real American, because real Americans are Christians. Even though the Founding Fathers didn't see it that way at all.

This is somewhat tangential, but sometimes, I find it hard not to be that "angry" atheist. We really have a lot to be angry about. Atheists aren't even perceived to have the right to complain about unfair treatment, prejudice, and the blatant lies and hypocrisy advocated by believers. Believers rarely fail to be vocal and obnoxious whenever they perceive their rights as being limited or infringed, yet they are not willing to allow similar outrage from an actual minority group. I'm not saying that we should all be angry atheists, just that perhaps an angry atheist has as much right to be so as an angry believer, and perhaps also more justification. So much for JC and the Golden Rule. Rarely have I encountered believers doing unto others as they would have done unto them. Unless they WANT to be told they will suffer eternally if they don't become part of the special club. In that case, they are just sick bastards.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 10:42:59 AM »
Telling someone that what they believe to be true is perhaps not even close to being what is true will put a damper on trust and the like.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline free

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 06:06:32 PM »
@ kb you were right, the former.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 06:14:54 PM »
@ free : thank you for clarifying.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »
I would argue that if people self identify as a member of a group, it's not unjustified to have expectations regarding those people

Distrust, for christians, esp. The fundy variety, is a concept for their convenience.

Speaking of TRUST and predjudice...........

Trust is an interesting issue to address that I find quite intriguing. It's an issue that is subject to biases and can be influenced by ignorance and misinfo. I've always wondered what would be the best way to approach not only whether or not you will trust someone that you do not know, but also the extent to which you initially do NOT distrust them.

For me and I'm sure many others who are honest with themselves will agree, it has always been easy to give more trust to a person that you have some commonality with. Having something in common is very disarming and allows for easier communication in my experience. Having been a person that has interviewed others in the past another quality that has influenced my initial trust trust level has been the confidence projected by an individual.

As it relates to interviewing or getting a job, I tell any prospect that the more a person can be defined and classified, whether that classification is based on religion or something else, the more data employers THINK they have to make judgments about what can be expected from a person. If a person is a declared atheist and the employer knows nothing else about them, what their values are, etc., the employer must probe more to get an idea about them than say a person of faith because faith gives me something to go on as I try to make a quick judgment about a stranger. Employers typically do not want to spend the time probing, (though doing so could prove beneficial to the ER in the long run). I guess that is why many find it valuable to list all the organizations and groups they are a part of on their resumes. Doing so helps the potential employer get an idea about what type of person you may be and what types of values you may have.

Where faith creeps in for me as it relates to my perception of how much I should trust a person has more to do with whether or not a person has convictions they subject themselves and their behaviors to. We know of many specific convictions, or at least we believe that many believers have certain guidelines they are compelled to abide by. For those without any declared faith, the waters are more muddy as we have no grounds to use to come up with our (often faulty, but often employed) preconceptions.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 12:53:58 PM »
...Where faith creeps in for me as it relates to my perception of how much I should trust a person...

I'll never forget a casual conversation I had with a fundamentalist one day. He was selling something, and had offered it online. This guy was a bit isolationist ... fence around entire property, off the grid, etc. He usually doesn't give out his address, but he did to the fellow who responded to the ad. Why? Because the responder was christian, so he assumed he could trust him.

I was actually worried for the fellow, because hopefully we all know that trustworthiness isn't inevitably tied to a religion or belief system or philosophy. And I know many christians who are not at all trustworthy. The assumption amazed me. I guess I'm still naive, even at my age.   :-\
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Philosopher_at_large

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-2
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 12:37:07 AM »
That isn't prejudice, that's stupidity. I don't know about you, but the thought of being sexually assaulted and the thought of somebody not believing in a God, well it's six to one, half a dozen to the other to me.

Take solace in the fact tat these people don't actually mistrust atheists, they mistrust there idea of what an atheist is.
"A moral philosophy that is fact based should be based upon the facts about human nature and nothing else." - Mortimer J. Adler

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 12:59:13 AM »
Believers being [T]he most untrustworthy and irrational group on the planet, refuse to trust the most principled and rational group on the planet ??

You can take that opinion and shove it right back up your ass were you got it from.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 08:09:47 AM »
That isn't prejudice, that's stupidity. I don't know about you, but the thought of being sexually assaulted and the thought of somebody not believing in a God, well it's six to one, half a dozen to the other to me.

Take solace in the fact tat these people don't actually mistrust atheists, they mistrust there idea of what an atheist is.

Unfortunately, that is where the problem lies. They mistrust people they know nothing about. They make judgments about others (Jesus: "Tsk Tsk!") based on (typically willful) ignorance. I'm sorry, but that is just not acceptable. When an Atheist (who, according to this study, don't inherently distrust religious people) offers a criticism of religion, it is typically well informed, well thought out, and doesn't rely on the suspension of the operating principles of the real world. I became an Atheist after 18 years of unanswered, or poorly answered, questions. It was the only rational choice I could have after the evidence that had accumulated. People making broad and inaccurate judgments about a another group of people based solely on ignorance is something I would consider dangerous.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 08:48:06 AM »
Believers being [T]he most untrustworthy and irrational group on the planet, refuse to trust the most principled and rational group on the planet ??

You can take that opinion and shove it right back up your ass were you got it from.

It's not an opinion and where did I say it was mine ? .......It a truth... Prove it to be a false statement then Mr. Fucking Know-it-All.  ;)

"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 11:07:04 AM »
It's not an opinion and where did I say it was mine ?

It most certainly is an opinion. Perhaps you did not explicitly claim it as your own in your OP but it was certainly implied and I know that you hold a view very similar to the opinion expressed. My apologies for the misreading.

.......It a subjective truth...

Fixed that for ya.

Prove it to be a false statement then Mr. Fucking Know-it-All.  ;)

That's not how the game works and you know it :)

You made the positive claim, whether it is something you agree with or not, it is your responsibility validate it.  The way I see it, you have two claims to substantiate.

1. That theists are the most untrustworthy and irrational group on the planet
2. atheists (implied) are the most principled and rational group on the planet

I am curious as to how you can prove this to be a fact without getting all anecdotal on me.

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Philosopher_at_large

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-2
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 01:41:20 PM »

Unfortunately, that is where the problem lies. They mistrust people they know nothing about. They make judgments about others (Jesus: "Tsk Tsk!") based on (typically willful) ignorance. I'm sorry, but that is just not acceptable. When an Atheist (who, according to this study, don't inherently distrust religious people) offers a criticism of religion, it is typically well informed, well thought out, and doesn't rely on the suspension of the operating principles of the real world. I became an Atheist after 18 years of unanswered, or poorly answered, questions. It was the only rational choice I could have after the evidence that had accumulated. People making broad and inaccurate judgments about a another group of people based solely on ignorance is something I would consider dangerous.

I'm reminded of the Rick Perry commercial where he decided to juxtapose Gay rights with the fact that (in his own mind) people can't be openly Christian anymore. These people (evangelicals) have convinced them selves that there religious rights have been taken away, and that they are somehow an oppressed minority, when in fact no religious rights have been stripped away anywhere (having a protestant prayer session over a loudspeaker in school is not a right): And if I'm not tribally mistaken they make up 70 + percent of the population. But they live in an increasingly insular community, they only listen to each other, and they think that facts are just tricks to try and get them to reject god on accident.

Wow, having said that I'm even more worried about the future than I was before.
"A moral philosophy that is fact based should be based upon the facts about human nature and nothing else." - Mortimer J. Adler