Author Topic: Why does God hate himself?  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Why does God hate himself?
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:39:29 PM »
Falling tree damages crucifix at Mission San Gabriel

Howling Santa Ana winds and a falling tree flung a statue of Jesus off his cross at the historic San Gabriel Mission, snapping off his arms and flinging him upside-down.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Why does God hate himself?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:41:28 PM »
You would think He could at least stopped that without upsetting the balance of the universe. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 09:11:43 PM »
Why does God hate himself?

Indeed, the Bible says Yahweh was deeply troubled, jealous, was big on revenge and deception, and had anger that would burn forever.  What's more, he thought he knew everything and was in capable of lying.

Makes perfect sense we should all worship him.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 09:13:09 PM »
Are Ann and Gabriel having some kind of argument in Heaven?

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 09:15:54 PM »
What is worth worshipping for you? I think the Bible has a lot of twisted explainations. But that jus me. :P

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 09:24:09 PM »
I find truth to be worth worshipping.  But that's just me.

Say, what does this have to do with the topic of the thread, Lance?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
Because God does not hate himself as this topic falsely renders. So i ask if God is not your way then who is, yourself?

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 09:34:29 PM »
Because God does not hate himself as this topic falsely renders. So i ask if God is not your way then who is, yourself?

Which God Lance?  There are so darned many to choose from.  Heck, even the Bible has three of them.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 09:45:56 PM »
The One and Only God - the Almighty God. The God who created everything. The God who commisioned Abraham and Isreal to be his servants not for their sake or for His sake but for the entire world which was accomplished through Jesus Christ, the Son of God. Any questions?

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 09:54:37 PM »
The One and Only God - the Almighty God. The God who created everything. The God who commisioned Abraham and Isreal to be his servants not for their sake or for His sake but for the entire world which was accomplished through Jesus Christ, the Son of God. Any questions?

Interesting that a Moslem could make the very same claim.  And there are more of them than Christians.  What makes you completely right and them completely wrong?
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 09:59:39 PM »
Simple. Because Islam came nearly 500 years after Jesus Crist died on the cross after uttering his last word "IT IS DONE!" 

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 10:12:04 PM »
Simple. Because Islam came nearly 500 years after Jesus Crist died on the cross after uttering his last word "IT IS DONE!"

A rather dubious arguement, since Christianity wasn't formalized until about 300 years after Christ died.  And were those the last words of Jesus?  I believe Matthew, Mark, and Luke disagree with you.

Regardless, so many other religions & gods came before Jesus was born.  In fact Sumarians were learning to brew beer about the time Christains claim Yahwea crated the heavens and the earth.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:16:09 PM by Backspace »
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 10:16:29 PM »
religions, gods, whatever, the one God in the old and new testament is the same. you can't mix hindu or some egyptian god or greek because those are myths. the one i'm talking about has a book he authored called the BIBLE. you can see it for more info. Sumerians didn't brew beer, the egyptians did.

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +187/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 10:21:35 PM »
religions, gods, whatever, the one God in the old and new testament is the same. you can't mix hindu or some egyptian god or greek because those are myths.

All gods are myths.  Yours too. 

the one i'm talking about has a book he authored called the BIBLE. you can see it for more info.

Capitalizing the word bible doesn't make an already unconvincing statement more convincing.  And suffice to say, most of us have read that book.  It's a bit of a downer.  Not worth the read.  I found myself saying, "Oh, that's complete bullshit!" an awful lot when I read it.  You? 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 10:25:50 PM »
I laugh to all who reads it and doesn't get it because God didn't write the BIBLE jus so you can read and understand like any other book. the BIBLE is coded and only through FAITH would you understand it's meaning. Do you really think God will lay out his entire plan for all to understand by jus reading. If that's the case than we can all believe in God without faith. But it is Faith that God is after not knowledge of reading. you can do that in the classrom. :laugh:

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 10:27:46 PM »
you can't mix hindu or some egyptian god or greek because those are myths.

Funny, they say the same thing about Christiantiy

the one i'm talking about has a book he authored called the BIBLE. you can see it for more info.

Read it, cover to cover more than once.  You can thank a Christian minister for challenging me to do so - big mistake on his part.

Sumerians didn't brew beer, the egyptians did.

Then please update the the Wiki History of Beer, so we can all have our facts straight http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_beer
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 10:30:57 PM »
I laugh to all who reads it and doesn't get it because God didn't write the BIBLE jus so you can read and understand like any other book. the BIBLE is coded and only through FAITH would you understand it's meaning. Do you really think God will lay out his entire plan for all to understand by jus reading. If that's the case than we can all believe in God without faith. But it is Faith that God is after not knowledge of reading - you can do that in the classrom.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 10:31:50 PM »
I laugh to all who reads it and doesn't get it because God didn't write the BIBLE jus so you can read and understand like any other book. the BIBLE is coded and only through FAITH would you understand it's meaning. Do you really think God will lay out his entire plan for all to understand by jus reading. If that's the case than we can all believe in God without faith. But it is Faith that God is after not knowledge of reading. you can do that in the classrom. :laugh:

Biblical codes, hidden understandings, secret meanings -- and you laugh at us?
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 10:37:31 PM »
yes i will laugh because you people approach the Bible like some ordinary book where you read what you see to understand. God wrote the BIBLE and it's the truth that he's writing and truth cannot be filtered through knowledge but through faith.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 10:50:17 PM »
God wrote the BIBLE and it's the truth that he's writing and truth cannot be filtered through knowledge but through faith.

Which version of the Bible did the father, son, and holy ghost write Lance?  There are more than a hundred different versions now, all differing in one way or another. After nearly 2,000 years, one would think 'God's Truth' would be agreed upon, but it seems to be just the opposite.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +187/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 10:52:34 PM »
Lance,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I have to let you in on something that the rest of us know (just from the few posts you've made) and you don't.  You're arguments are very bad.  I mean... really bad.  Like... I can't even express to you how bad.  Now, we could probably give you the benefit of the doubt here and say you are very young, in which case, your arguments are unsophisticated because you yourself are not old enough to formulate decent arguments.  That's fine.  If that is the case, then you probably deserve to be treated with the kid gloves, but some people may ignore that and start throwing haymakers that rip your arguments to shreds just for the fun of it.  Others will simply mock you a little bit and shake their heads at the utter foolishness of everything you say. 

If, by slim chance, you are old enough (say... past 20 or so) to make decent arguments, and what you have put forward already is the very best you've got, then you shouldn't be treated with kid gloves; and you probably won't be.  You'd be old enough to be held accountable for your idiocy. 

The thing is, you come here thinking you are right.  Deep down inside, you really think you've got the truth.  You feel it in your bones that God had a hand in the bible and all that other stuff.  But that is simply not true.  We know that's not true.  The bible wasn't written by God.  Faith isn't virtuous, it's absolutely ridiculous.  We don't believe this because we hate God, or dislike the notion of God, or are angry at God.  The simple truth is that we have very valid, well thought out reasons for thinking the God of the bible is utter nonsense.  The arguments against God are extremely compelling if you would open your mind to the possibility of being wrong, you might learn something.  Ask yourself... have you ever given any time to hearing out the arguments against you?  Seriously, have you?  Then ask yourself if hearing only one side of an argument is the best way to determine which side (of a VERY 2 sided argument)  has the better argument? 

Please consider that seriously.  Most of the people here were once Christian and after hearing the arguments against God, they slowly found out the truth...  That God wasn't real. 

The third possibility is that you are a POE.  In which case, just let everyone in on it so we don't waste time on you.  Thanks.
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 10:56:11 PM »
Others will simply mock you a little bit and shake their heads at the utter foolishness of everything you say. 

Was I being that transparent?  ;)
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 11:04:32 PM »
@ JeffPT - Faith is not ridiculous. I think you should be treated with the kid glove. Here's an example about Faith which may help you understand jus a little. You work two weeks before payday right. why do you go to work? Because you know that in two weeks time, you'll get paid although you don't know what will actually happen in those two weeks time. that's the faith i'm talking about.

If you two have any arguments you want me to answer post it and i will answer it but don't post nonsens like that long one which you've posted which is nothing but guess guess guess. Now, lets debate. ;D

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 11:08:36 PM »
If god is going to knock down his own symbols including his own personification, then he must think that his own religion needs a complete makeover. Perhaps he thinks that he has become too corrupt to justify reverence and worship? Might your god be trying to tell you something?
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 11:11:17 PM »
God didn't invent religion, man did. In no where in the BIBLE did God say create Christianity or Judaism. Get real!

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 11:33:51 PM »
Falling tree damages crucifix at Mission San Gabriel

Howling Santa Ana winds and a falling tree flung a statue of Jesus off his cross at the historic San Gabriel Mission, snapping off his arms and flinging him upside-down.

Too bad the Mission San Gabriel Jesus didn't have the sense to jump down like kin hell's Jesus did. 

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 11:41:35 PM »
And suffice to say, most of us have read that book.  It's a bit of a downer.  Not worth the read.  I found myself saying, "Oh, that's complete bullshit!" an awful lot when I read it. 

Alright, which one of you folks wrote these helpful comments on amazon

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 11:42:52 PM »
God didn't invent religion, man did. In no where in the BIBLE did God say create Christianity or Judaism. Get real!

That makes no sense on so many levels. But, since when do believers every strive to make sense?

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 11:55:20 PM »
"makes no sense?" excuse me? Tell me somewhere in the Bible that God specifically ordered the creation of religion. God endorse fellowship only BUT not religion. There's a difference between these two - a huge difference.

@albeto LOL.