Author Topic: thanks [#2625]  (Read 12715 times)

Offline naemhni

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
thanks [#2625]
« on: November 30, 2011, 04:55:31 AM »
i just wanted to say thanks for making me feel better. i was looking for some inspiration and a story of healing to help lift my spirits. that usually helps me when i start feeling sad about my condition. i thought i was going to read an uplifting story about an amputee healing instead i had to be really lucky and got you(ugggh).whether or not god is real my feelings are REAL no matter what you say and now they are in a  worse place than they were when i got on the internet. and ussually 100 percent of the time i feel better after i read a few testimonies. thanks for taking away my medicine and decreasing what little faith and hope i had.

yours depressed,
[name removed]
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +624/-67
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: thanks [#2625]
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 05:02:05 AM »
Sorry that you feel this way, but this website has helped a lot of people, some of which, IIRC, were in your situation.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:43:46 AM »
Unfortunately, reality has no invested interest in your feelings. But yes, the de-conversion process I went though was quite a depressing ride.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:51:36 AM »
Go to your local library, walk to the immense fiction section, and tell yourself "I believe all of this is true!" and you'll feel millions of times better!  :o
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:02:06 AM »
i just wanted to say thanks for making me feel better. i was looking for some inspiration and a story of healing to help lift my spirits. that usually helps me when i start feeling sad about my condition. i thought i was going to read an uplifting story about an amputee healing instead i had to be really lucky and got you(ugggh).

I'm sorry to hear that you have a condition that makes you feel so bad. However, you cannot blame us for your condition or for what you read on the internet and how that affects your feelings.

whether or not god is real my feelings are REAL no matter what you say and now they are in a  worse place than they were when i got on the internet. and ussually 100 percent of the time i feel better after i read a few testimonies. thanks for taking away my medicine and decreasing what little faith and hope i had.

A belief in a god that doesn't actually exist is not necessary to pull through hard times. It is precisely the dependency on this false idea that we are against. It is detrimental. Many of us here are perfectly content with reality the way it is and pull through hard times without having to rely on some self-delusional myth.

yours depressed,
[name removed]

I don't know what your condition is ... but one positive thing you can do is seek treatment. If something is affecting your health, it can probably be helped via medical science. My wife went through a depression. We are atheists so we don't pray or read testimonies to feel better. What we did was seek professional help from a psychologist who helped her pull through.

Seek help, for your depression and for your underlying condition. Science does a lot of good for people... a placebo effect from a delusional belief in an imaginary god does more harm in the long run.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +399/-9
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 07:59:46 AM »
You are a big boy.  You don't need imaginary sky daddies to make things better.  Get rid of that crutch and just live life because it is there and on your own terms.  In the long run you will be healthier for it.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

rob

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 08:03:30 AM »
i have congestive heart failure and im 34 i passed away in april but the doctors revived me and put stints in my heart and you are right i talked to god when i died but i never heard him say anything back and i didnt see him. and i did feeel and hear my self return to my body which was really weird. iwas going like thousands of miles per hour until i popped back in my body wow crazy moment. im tired anyway and i think im done with this whole illusion of life thing i just need to do it you know and you are right  this life has nothing to offer me if there was a god he would have never allowed this to happen to me in the first place. the stories helped me some but i always came back to feeling depressed anyway. i was just hoping for something to be there. anyways yall be good

thanksrob

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 09:16:12 AM »
i have congestive heart failure and im 34 i passed away in april but the doctors revived me and put stints in my heart

Hey man ... I'm sorry to hear about your heart condition. However, you are alive and still here ... that's a good thing  ;) ... and that is thanks to medical science.

I can't imagine what it's like to live with a life threatening condition... I don't know what my outlook on life would be in your shoes. All I can say is... do your best to enjoy the time you do have.

That's what we should all do. I mean, I don't have a heart condition that I'm aware of... but any one of us could have a stroke or get a heart attack or get hit by a bus before the end of this day. There's no point wasting time and energy on negative feelings and pointless useless crap that won't matter after we die. I keep myself positive, enjoy my time with my loved ones and do what makes me happy (which includes making others happy). That's my goal ... to be as happy as I can be for as long as I can be.

and you are right i talked to god when i died but i never heard him say anything back and i didnt see him. and i did feeel and hear my self return to my body which was really weird. iwas going like thousands of miles per hour until i popped back in my body wow crazy moment.

The mind will do some crazy shit when it's dying. That's what you experienced.

im tired anyway and i think im done with this whole illusion of life thing i just need to do it you know and you are right  this life has nothing to offer me if there was a god he would have never allowed this to happen to me in the first place. the stories helped me some but i always came back to feeling depressed anyway. i was just hoping for something to be there. anyways yall be good

thanksrob

You're life is not pointless just because there isn't an afterlife. You have the opportunity to give your life your own purpose and meaning here and now. You are 34 ... you have lived a lot longer than many millions of people who have died before reaching that age. I'm 32 ... if I get hit by a bus this evening you will have lived longer than I... but I won't spend my life worrying about the day I die.

There's no need to piss away whatever time we have left. If you are having trouble getting away from feelings of hopelessness and despair, get some help. Your life doesn't have to be that way.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:18:59 AM by plethora »

rob

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 10:38:35 AM »
thanks for repying back but when i finally get to the absolute conclusion that their is no god like you im outta here like yesteryear. i have had money happiness love joy family and peace for moments in this life but they are all false illusions and of no profit under the sun if there is no god. i have pondered everything you believe multiple upon multiple times during so called time. and in response to being alive is a good thing-tell me what is good? and then please explain why. is good not relative? so please relate. not trying to bash you or anything or argue just speaking what i call the reality of truth. mans destiny is to die, and if death does not mean separation from the body it means total peace and tranquility(iwas happiest befor i was born). memories and legacy mean nothing to me. the only conclusion i can come up with, is that the only reason to live is vanity the thing i hate most!

nothing is realrob

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1134/-27
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 10:52:58 AM »
The purpose of life is to live.  Nothing more, nothing less.  So you get out of it what you put into it.

And yes, good is relative.  But the key to remember is that 'relative' depends on your perspective.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 11:15:37 AM »
thanks for repying back but when i finally get to the absolute conclusion that their is no god like you im outta here like yesteryear.

Hey ... it's your life.

i have had money happiness love joy family and peace for moments in this life

You have experienced moments of happiness, love, joy and peace. I fail to see the illusion in that. That was real.

but they are all false illusions and of no profit under the sun if there is no god.

This is where you are wrong. So what if there is no god? Does that make your happy moments less happy or less meaningful just because your existence is finite? Hell no.

What kind of 'profit' were you expecting other than to have the opportunity to experience those moments of love, joy, happiness and peace?

i have pondered everything you believe multiple upon multiple times during so called time.

A bit presumptuous of you to assume you know everything I believe and have already thought of it all multiple times... and whether you like it or not, "time" exists.

and in response to being alive is a good thing-tell me what is good? and then please explain why. is good not relative?

You're right about 'good' being relative... or rather, subjective. Being alive is good for me. Maybe being alive is something you don't classify as 'good'. In that case, maybe the best thing for you is not to be alive at all. If somebody doesn't like being alive they certainly shouldn't be forced to... maybe you feel obliged to stay alive because of your beliefs ... in which case, it sucks to be you.

so please relate. not trying to bash you or anything or argue just speaking what i call the reality of truth.

I'm not bashing either... I understand what you're saying.

mans destiny is to die, and if death does not mean separation from the body it means total peace and tranquility(iwas happiest befor i was born). memories and legacy mean nothing to me. the only conclusion i can come up with, is that the only reason to live is vanity the thing i hate most!

The existence of humanity is finite. The same goes for our planet, our sun and all of life in the universe. The universe will eventually cease to be able to support any kind of life. There is no 'destiny'. Reality is what it is.

Now, I chose to value and cherish this one life I have. It's the only one I'm going to get. I don't see the vanity in accepting what I am... a finite being who's existence will become meaningless eventually after I die and everything dies.

So what? I am alive now. My life, humanity, this planet... it all has meaning to me now. What I am experiencing, I am experiencing now. That's what matters.

If you want to go down the nihilist path, then by all means, do so. I'm sorry you dislike your existence. But don't accuse me of being vain when you're the one who wants to believe in a god that created everything especially for us humans and promises everyone eternal life. That there is nothing but pure human vanity.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:18:13 AM by plethora »

Online velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +433/-25
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 11:17:06 AM »
thanks for repying back but when i finally get to the absolute conclusion that their is no god like you im outta here like yesteryear. i have had money happiness love joy family and peace for moments in this life but they are all false illusions and of no profit under the sun if there is no god.
Way to devalue your family, love, joy, and peace for your fear of a god that doesn’t exist. How sad. 
i have pondered everything you believe multiple upon multiple times during so called time. and in response to being alive is a good thing-tell me what is good?
Well, the things you insisted were worthless, like family, money, happiness, love, joy, etc.  What isn’t good is a mindless devotion to something that breaks its promises, as your religion and god have done. 
and then please explain why. is good not relative? so please relate. not trying to bash you or anything or argue just speaking what i call the reality of truth. mans destiny is to die, and if death does not mean separation from the body it means total peace and tranquility(iwas happiest befor i was born). memories and legacy mean nothing to me. the only conclusion i can come up with, is that the only reason to live is vanity the thing i hate most!
Good is largely subjective.  I find that good is anything that I enjoy in that it harms no one else.  Man’s destiny is to live and then to die. Do what you can with your life rather than whining about how bad it is without your imaginary friend. Love your family, help another human, it’s not that hard to find meaning. It’s a lot harder to find a god that doesn’t exist. 
Honestly, if you are an amputee (which I do honestly doubt and think that you are a poe), you need some counseling.  Go see a real human and talk this out rather than depending on a god that does nothing.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

rob

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 11:17:20 AM »
see this is the only reason i still hold on to god!!i wish you could make me believe their is no god. (this athiest belief has nothing to offer me but total peace in a so called nonexistence/ athiesm is nonexistence). no god no truth no reality no purpose no perspective no life no death. follow me to  beyond fear. fear is the only thing that binds you to this earth realm. every so called TRUE athiest should be dead right now. for those who have ears let them hear and walk this path. dont be scared to go there. the bible says fear is the beginning to wisdom. true athiesm=NO FEAR=death their is no so called life in fear

nothing is realrob

rob

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 11:20:15 AM »
what is sad?

rob

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 11:24:38 AM »
i dont claim their is a god i just dont know

rob

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 11:26:31 AM »
give me a reason not to believe and still live! and not a reason that is finite or not real!

rob

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 11:30:46 AM »

[/quote]

Hey ... it's your life.

Hey now you are spitting some REALNESS!!!

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 11:33:03 AM »
see this is the only reason i still hold on to god!!i wish you could make me believe their is no god. (this athiest belief has nothing to offer me but total peace in a so called nonexistence/ athiesm is nonexistence).

Guess what? Whether you believe in god or not ... when you die, you cease to exist. I am not offering anything. I'm just stating reality.

no god no truth no reality no purpose no perspective no life no death. follow me to  beyond fear. fear is the only thing that binds you to this earth realm. every so called TRUE athiest should be dead right now.

I'm an atheist... not a nihilist.

Just because there is no god doesn't mean everything else you listed doesn't exist.

Truth, reality, purpose, perspective, life and death are all things that exist ... and they don't depend on the existence of a god.

for those who have ears let them hear and walk this path. dont be scared to go there. the bible says fear is the beginning to wisdom. true athiesm=NO FEAR=death their is no so called life in fear

Preaching the bible? You gotta be kidding me. The bible is a meaningless work of fiction. Might as well quote Harry Potter.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 11:34:02 AM »
give me a reason not to believe and still live! and not a reason that is finite or not real!

Fuck you, Rob. It's now obvious you are a troll and a poe. I'm sorry I wasted my time with you.

rob

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 11:34:53 AM »
oh i so agree but i love ecclesiastes how bout you.

rob

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 11:38:22 AM »
why are you so mad i have never in my life blogged before and everything i said is TRUE and to be honest this blog is enlightening me as we are speaking. but i think i am leaning more to god side of things in the last few hours

rob

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 11:43:15 AM »
hey look dont get offended im just debating i am looking for truth and  from my perspective so far you dont have it. i need proof there is no god to become an athiet

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 11:54:02 AM »
i need proof there is no god to become an athiet

Is that like how you need proof there are no leprechauns before you become an aleprechaunist?
Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Online velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +433/-25
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 11:55:02 AM »
what is sad?

that yo have good things and you don't appreciate them.  It's rather a pity that they are wasted on people like you or the person you represent yourself to be, which is rather pathetic and whiny.   

I'm wondering if you need evidence that there is no Allah or Krishna to not believe in them too. Now, considering how no god has any evidence support it, you have all the reason you need to not believe in your god too.   I was once a Christian, Rob, and now I'm not.  I am no longer afraid of this god who does nothing nor am I vainly waiting for it to do something.  I am quite happy with my life, though I'm guessing you are desperately hoping I'm not.   I know I only have one life and I am enjoying it to its fullest.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

rob

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 11:56:58 AM »
what are good things that i dont appreciate?. I WANT TO KNOW WHO TOLD SOCIETY WHAT IS GOOD OR NOT? please SOMEBODY. anybody

rob

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 11:57:56 AM »
no idont need jesus krishna hindu voodoo whatever i need truth

rob

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 12:02:19 PM »
anybody got any truth here if ill leave this forum and know that athiesm is not what i once thought it was.

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 12:02:46 PM »
what are good things that i dont appreciate?. I WANT TO KNOW WHO TOLD SOCIETY WHAT IS GOOD OR NOT? please SOMEBODY. anybody

Why do you need someone to tell you?

Why not determine for yourself what you appreciate?
Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

rob

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »
anybody got any truth here if ill leave this forum and know that athiesm is not what i once thought it was.
anybody got any truth here if NOT ill leave this forum and know that athiesm is not what i once thought it was. this has been one of the most enlightening moments of my life