Author Topic: I really hate Christmas.  (Read 2299 times)

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
I really hate Christmas.
« on: November 28, 2011, 04:20:58 PM »
Warning, this thread contains graphic images of severe malnutrition in children. If you are squeamish, or simply do not want to see this, do not scroll down.

Also, Warning. This thread contains a lot of charitable preaching.... :/

I need somewhere to talk about this, nobody I know gets what I am talking about.

Every time I get to this time of year, I can barely take the constant barrage of capitalistic 'buy me! buy me!'.

The worst thing is that all these 1,400,000,000 Christians in the world, they are supposed to be all goodwill to all men and charitable at this time of year, yet if all of these 1,400,000,000 Christians donated £50 each (presumably a fraction of what some spend on presents), then that would be over a third of Africa's crippling debt relieved. (£200bn according to http://www.africaaction.org/cancel-africas-debt.html)

I know that there many Christians in the world live in the African countries in mention, and I also know that a lot of families do give money to charity, but I am literally saying that people in the Christian faith have a duty in their holy book from their God to do this. They are not supposed to accumulate vast quantities of useless shit, they are supposed to help others.

I personally this Christmastide, am going to donate at least 50% of money I receive to a charity of my choice. I don't need many more material things in my life than my viola and my piano, and obviously food, which I am very VERY lucky to have. As for the most important things, that is my family and girlfriend, and my friends.

Christians all worship Baby Jesus at Christmas, but if they really cared about children, they would note this sort of thing:

I could post these images all day, and it would not do anything. Do people really need that new iPhone 4S? Do people really need to buy children tons of tacky plastic rubbish toys that cost a fortune and break in a week?

I can't say I need it...

I also can't stand the constant barrage of religion onto fazed children in primary schools, I volunteer in a primary school on Thursday afternoons, and the emphasis on Jesus and the Nativity is almost sickeningly indoctrinating.

I know that Dawkins addresses this in the God Delusion, and I thank him for it! He really hit a point home on his writing on the disquieting nature of Christian teaching in schools.

Even if it isn't Christians not being particularly generous, if the billions of people who are privileged across the world to have access to safe water and food this December all donated the same amount of money, we could make a hell of a lot of difference.

I guess the Occupy movements are really getting to me positively at the moment, I really cannot abide the regime the world is living in at the moment. I'm seriously considering going and camping outside St Paul's Cathedral, London this Christmas, because I want to make a difference to the world, by spreading rational thought. It is totally irrational that 1% of the world hold 99% of its wealth... I know this sounds like communism and communism doesn't work, but it would be nice if that were even a little bit more evenly distributed.

[/rant]

Is there anyone else out there who shares my views?

I am really hoping that someone who reads this may be influenced to do something slightly different this Christmas. We all go and spend our money in December, clearly thinking of others, but maybe missing a fundamental point, there are people who could use the money far better than us.

I am guilty of it, as are most people.

Should atheists even celebrate Christmas? That's another stonker of a question. I don't want to have anything to do with it myself, as I hate the consumerist culture. But we have it forced down our throats from the beginning of October nowadays.

I know I am sounding quite Christian here, with my 'put others before yourself' sort of thing, but I guess I just hate seeing people suffer.... I just want to do something good to appease my guilt for the state of the world.

-Elliot

P.S Anyone posting
Bah, Humbug
will be shot...... ;)
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Re: I really hate Christmas.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 04:36:05 PM »
I hear you.  We like to buy gifts for heifer international in the name of the family member for christmas and birthdays.  It's the only christmas gift my parents have given my kids for a couple years now.

Offline kardula

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 04:39:18 PM »
I try to donate every year. I can't part with much but I do try to help.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 04:46:28 PM »
I hear you.  We like to buy gifts for heifer international in the name of the family member for christmas and birthdays.  It's the only christmas gift my parents have given my kids for a couple years now.

That site looks fantastic, the sort of thing I really admire. I've always secretly hoped that someone might buy one of those animal donation bonds.

I might buy everyone a goat as a gift...

'What did you get for Christmas?'

'Some new socks and a Goat.'
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."

Offline kevinagain

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 04:58:51 PM »
the heifer people are good people, and the work they do is important. i give them money every year.

but just so you know, it's a christian charity founded by a dunkard named dan west in the 1940s:

American farmer Dan West, the founder of Heifer International, was serving as a Church of the Brethren relief worker in Spain during the Spanish Civil War when he became frustrated at being forced to decide how to allocate the very limited rations of milk to refugees (see rationing, triage).[1] Upon his return to the United States, he founded Heifers for Relief, an organization dedicated to providing permanent freedom from hunger by giving families livestock and training so that they "could be spared the indignity of depending on others to feed their children." The basic philosophy of Heifers for Relief was based on the proverb, "Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; you have fed him for a lifetime." West's "Give not a cup, but a cow" set the example for what would become Heifer’s sustainability model, which includes Passing on the Gift.[2] With this, each participating family would study animal husbandry and agree to Pass on the Gift, to donate any female animal offspring to another family. In this fashion, he imagined that a single gift would multiply far beyond the original investment. Heifers for Relief became an official project of the Church of the Brethren's Brethren Service Committee in 1942, and the first shipment of 17 heifers went from York, Pennsylvania to Puerto Rico in 1944.

wiki
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 05:01:52 PM by kevinagain »

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:10:28 PM »
No kidding.  Figures, coming from my mom.  Do you know if they're run like a parachurch organization today? 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 05:23:51 PM »
Yes, Christmas will be grand for the 1%.  The rest of us will figure out how to pretend like we are happy.

Christians (at least those in te US) seem to think that God wants them to be better off than others.  It is like they(those in other countries) have done something wrong to end up like they are in those pics.  Pray and give and God blesses you many times over.

I often wondered why so called Christians are not doing more to help.  Most of their charities end up getting very little of the money where it needs to go.  They must have a lot of overhead to take care of.

Besides why would a loving God allow that to go on year after year anyhow?   Pretty damn sad. If you were God would you let that happen?  But they will continue to point to the sky (Denver quarterback) thanking this God for allowing the winning points.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline kevinagain

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »
No kidding.  Figures, coming from my mom.  Do you know if they're run like a parachurch organization today?

i don't think so. the money is overseen by a separate organization, http://www.heiferfoundation.org/whoWeAre.cfm, but i don't know how they're structured internally

there's essentially no mention of religion in their literature, and as far as i have ever seen, no mention of religion in anything they do, unless you go digging into their history.

their goal is feeding people by giving them a way to feed themselves, and their price is that the people they help have to help someone else farther down. cow recipients have to give a calf to someone, goat recipients have to help someone else with a kid.

probably the beehive recipients have to share colony splits with their neighbors.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 06:45:15 PM »
I just got some literature from them in the mail and saved it aside because it seemed like a really good charity, but I hadn't heard of it before. I'm not suprised that it was originally started as a Christian organization, but I went through the pamphlet with a fine-tooth comb, and couldn't find anything overtly religious. Unless you count the gift of combined pairs of various animals which was presented as an "ark" with graphics of animals two-by-two and a big boat . But, really, that's imagery which is familiar to pretty much everyone in this society, religious or not.

For that matter, I also contribute, among other things, to Habitat for Humanity, which doesn't play the god card too strongly when soliciting, but lays it on with a trowel once you send them something.

I will probably send the heifer group a donation, though. Thanks for all the extra info.

Offline kevinagain

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 07:06:20 PM »
i donated all my father's construction tools to habitat when he died-- table saw, air compressors, pneumatic guns, the works. they'll take construction materials as well as money, if you've got stacks of stuff lying around

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +893/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 07:21:10 PM »
Shelterbox is also good.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 09:29:59 PM »
Why the hell are their parents spitting out 4, 5, 6 kids or more when they don't have the means to support them? Personally I don't feel any responsibility to help them, and I don't feel any guilt or regret if they die.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 12:07:57 AM »
Why the hell are their parents spitting out 4, 5, 6 kids or more when they don't have the means to support them? Personally I don't feel any responsibility to help them, and I don't feel any guilt or regret if they die.

That's...wow, that's just harsh.

What of women who live in a society without access to birth control and/or circumstances in which it's unthinkable to deny a man sex? What of families who can only hope that one or two of the six or seven kids will survive to adulthood, to maybe bring in some much needed income?

I can maybe understand not feeling personal responsibility or guilt, but to feel no regret? That's just unimaginable to me.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 12:56:43 AM »
I don't believe that all human life is unquestionably sacred.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 01:15:30 AM »
I don't believe that all human life is unquestionably sacred.

Quoted for truth
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 01:42:27 AM »

That's...wow, that's just harsh.

What of women who live in a society without access to birth control and/or circumstances in which it's unthinkable to deny a man sex? What of families who can only hope that one or two of the six or seven kids will survive to adulthood, to maybe bring in some much needed income?

I can maybe understand not feeling personal responsibility or guilt, but to feel no regret? That's just unimaginable to me.

Personally, I don't feel anything for death other than "Well, that sucks". It is inevitable. All that we can do is postpone it.
However, I think that all life should be preserved for as long as possible, and with little suffering as possible.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:24:07 AM by Lucifer »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 06:46:29 AM »

Well maybe that's another reason where religion and society are incompatible.

According to the BBC, Africa has 13.2% of the total world population of Roman Catholics (approx 143 million people).

Maybe this is actually relevant to my angst about Christmas and Christianity... We all know that Roman Catholics teach that Contraception is totally wrong and ungodly. You could argue that we have a duty to expose the facsimile of religion. Our world is falling apart at the seams because of overpopulation thanks to soaring populations in 3rd world countries.

Why?

Because a man in a silly hat says using condoms makes you go to hell.

As a result, the RC leaders of the country refuse to implement family planning education for the inhabitants and the problem continues.

We are incredibly lucky to know, through  reason, experience and rationality, and common sense that God does not exist, and these millions of people are being duped in a massive scam.

Why is it then, that you don’t care, if in 10 years’ time, you will face rising food and energy bills because there are too many people in the world? The money donated can go towards sub-saharan families who have all the children because they need farm workers to farm their vast expanses of completely barren land. If they have enough food and safe water, the odds are that they won’t need so many children. And the entire world has a better existence as the repercussions of the change.

It is our duty to try to expose the chronic lies of religion, and to maybe to curb our over-enthusiastic spending at Christmas and think a little about someone who may need that money a lot more.

Unfortunately this will probably not happen because there are too many people who can just not be bothered to surrender to a simple fact.

We need to help the world for it to help us.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 10:11:20 AM »
You think if they had more food they would have fewer children? I think they'd just use that as justification to have more kids.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 11:10:24 AM »
You think if they had more food they would have fewer children? I think they'd just use that as justification to have more kids.

I think that if they had more food, they wouldn't want more children because then it would not go between them all.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 12:07:58 PM »
Why the hell are their parents spitting out 4, 5, 6 kids or more when they don't have the means to support them?
I guess if you know that the chances are that  most of your kids will die before they grow up, you might not want to wait 4 years to see if the first one dies before you have another.  Wait too long between children each time and if you are unlucky, maybe you'll never have any kids survive into adulthood.  I can understand why they might choose to have as many children as possible, even without taking Ellliotviola's points into the equation.

Personally I don't feel any responsibility to help them, and I don't feel any guilt or regret if they die.
Except.....it's not the children that made the poor decision.  By that argument, we should feel no imperative to help children in poverty in our own countries either, nor should we give assistance to children born with problems caused by the mother's drug use or sexual habits.

I can see where you're coming from if you are saying that you feel no regret for people suffering the consequences of their decisions.  And to a point, I agree with it.  But, like I said, I can't bring myself to not care about the ones who suffer as a result of some other person's choices.  Its a bit too "visit the sins of the father on the sons" for me.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 12:35:48 PM »
Except.....it's not the children that made the poor decision.  By that argument, we should feel no imperative to help children in poverty in our own countries either, nor should we give assistance to children born with problems caused by the mother's drug use or sexual habits....

I can see where you're coming from if you are saying that you feel no regret for people suffering the consequences of their decisions.  And to a point, I agree with it.  But, like I said, I can't bring myself to not care about the ones who suffer as a result of some other person's choices.  Its a bit too "visit the sins of the father on the sons" for me.

Exactly. That's pretty much what I was trying to say.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +893/-6
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 04:32:49 PM »

I thought like this too, until I lived with poor people in third world countries for several years. These people must be stupid to make babies when they are so poor--what is wrong with them? Well look at the other side. Why do people in Europe, Japan and the US have so few kids? Is it because of poverty, lack of food? Of course not. :?

It is the exact opposite--because of wealth, low death rates, long life spans, the expenses of upscale urban life and retirement security. Worldwide the birth rate is leveling out at two kids per family on average as people become settled into lower to middle class stability.[1]Wealthier people have even fewer than two on average. It's a good thing, too, because rich people use way more resources.

If you can earn enough money to support a household without every single family member scrounging, if you know your one or two kids will survive infancy, if you know that you will be able to retire with some source of government or private support, you don't need to have ten kids.  You can have one or two or even none. Especially when the kids have to stay expensive and dependent for 20 or more years to become self-supporting. And you are going to live a long time after you retire. :)

People in poor countries have many children mainly because the mortality rate is so high. High birth rates almost exactly parallel high death rates. The kids who die in those circumstances are at risk because of things like malaria and diarrheal disease--easily preventable causes, primarily lack of clean water and mosquito nets, made worse by weakened immune systems from chronic malnutrition, etc.  :(

People in poor countries are not stupid, even if they are uneducated. They are experts at long-term group survival. They make a pretty careful calculus of how long it takes to get a child to the age where they can start bringing in more than they cost. Around age 5-6 the kid can go to work in the fields, or start selling peanuts or newspapers, shining shoes, etc. (At the very least help care for the younger kids; at the very worse, picking pockets or prostitution.) How quickly we forget that 100 years ago this was the way nearly everyone in Europe and the US survived. :P

Since there is no welfare system or social security, parents must have a number of kids survive infancy so they can help with basic expenses. And, when people are too old and sick to do the heavy physical work of farming or whatever (which can happen in your 50's in a poor country) you have a number of adult children who can all contribute to your support.  So, a big family is not necessarily a negative thing. Besides, adding another poor kid in the third world uses very few of the world's resources compared to adding another upper middle class US kid to the planet.[2]

The children in the photos who are dying of starvation, on the other hand are victims of warfare. This is entirely different from plain old poverty. War is the number one cause of starvation; poverty only causes malnutrition. It takes a rather long time for a famine to take hold and kill people. People do not starve to death due to poverty. Poverty is the normal state of humanity on earth. Starvation is not normal for anyone. Think about it. What would you do to get food to keep your kids from dying? Anything.  :o

If you cannot get food it is because you have been driven off your farm land by war. Before you starve, you have eaten down your emergency stores, have eaten your seeds, have killed and eaten all your animals. You have walked for miles trying to find work, but the soldiers come after you.  You can't settle in one place long enough to grow food or raise more animals. The people who are trying to kill you know this and use starvation as a weapon of war. They also attack aid workers and prevent food aid from getting to refugee camps, which is where photos like these come from. >:(

Basically it is not the fault of the starving people. They had the kids when things were better. And they had a lot of kids because things were kinda bad already, but they were not starving. Prevent war and you prevent child starvation. Until then, donate to ShelterBox.
 1. Every couple in the world thinks that they decided to have two kids all on their own-- not realizing that they are part of a global demographic shift. ;)
 2. All this is purely economic, and does not include the health risks to women from early and too frequent childbearing.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:35:34 PM by nogodsforme »

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 04:17:12 PM »
Nogodsforme, that's exactly what I wanted to say, but found to hard to put into the right words... Thank you very much :)

Shelterbox is great. I'm still not sure which charity to donate my Christmas money to at the moment...

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 06:40:08 PM »
I love the winter holidays. And I give to the local food bank almost every week. We have an additional 300 people needing food this year over last year in my town, and many of them are children. Are they as starved as those in your photos? No, they're not. But they're here, and I'm here, and so I help them as best I can. Money is very tight in my household. We spend very little on each other for the holidays. Gifts under the tree are generally either hand made, or small, token gifts meant to make us smile. I'm not going to wallow in guilt for those who have no tree, no gifts or no food. If I spent all my time worrying over all the people in the world who I cannot afford to help, I'd be too depressed to get out of bed.

Now. If I were rich, I'd do much, much more. And I believe that the distribution of wealth in the world is quite obscene. I don't have an answer to that problem. I wish I did.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 03:37:07 AM »
Now. If I were rich, I'd do much, much more. And I believe that the distribution of wealth in the world is quite obscene. I don't have an answer to that problem. I wish I did.

It's why I support the Occupy movement.

Good post though, I admire your actions. I am going to try and push my family to do the same this year.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +893/-6
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 05:22:08 PM »
Nogodsforme, that's exactly what I wanted to say, but found to hard to put into the right words... Thank you very much :)

Shelterbox is great. I'm still not sure which charity to donate my Christmas money to at the moment...
Thank you for the response. I don't like to let relatively privileged people get away with ignorant remarks about some of the smartest and hardest working people in the world. The folks who manage to survive and raise a family on less than 2 bucks a day deserve our admiration and assistance, not our scorn.

These people are my friends and relatives-- when I lived with them I learned far more than I could ever teach them.  We ate two meals a day and then went down to one. I learned what being chronically hungry does to you-- I was weak, angry and irritated all the time, and could only think about food. I lost a lot of weight and got sick frequently. Those around me went through the same thing, and still had to work in the fields and take care of their kids.

We in rich countries say poor people bring their problems on themselves, don't have a future orientation, don't know how to plan for the long term, don't invest, crap like that. Of course they plan for the future and invest in it-- by having kids and keeping them alive as best they can.

And yes, the problems of chronic povety are due to global economic decisions, not due to defects in poor people. Rich countries support the dictators that rob these people, tell them sell off their natural resources, want them to produce cheap oil, coffee, chocolate, tea and bananas, want them to suck it usp and work in sweatshops making cheap plastic crap for us to buy.  If the people revolt, overthrow the bad system,  and try to make their lives better, a rich country invades them and puts another dictator in charge.[1]

I wonder how well joebbowers would do in that situation?

BTW Buy fair trade products whenever possible, because then the money goes to the people who grew the stuff and not to some big multinational corporation that rips them off.
 1. See Haiti, Guatemala, Iran, Congo/Zaire, etc for specific examples...

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +893/-6
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »

Good post though, I admire your actions. I am going to try and push my family to do the same this year.

Yes, the Occupy movement is scaring the rich and powerful 1%, because it means we are starting to get wise. Working folks all over the world have to realize that we have more in common with each other than with the rich in our own countries. The rich, of course,  have always known this.....it is like how racism kept the working poor whites from uniting with the blacks in the US south. The rich were able to screw over both groups.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
    • My Website
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 06:04:48 PM »

Yes, the Occupy movement is scaring the rich and powerful 1%, because it means we are starting to get wise. Working folks all over the world have to realize that we have more in common with each other than with the rich in our own countries. The rich, of course,  have always known this.....it is like how racism kept the working poor whites from uniting with the blacks in the US south. The rich were able to screw over both groups.

Exactly. EXACTLY. I can't actually stand the arrogance of the rich in these respects. My family are not particularly well off ourselves, but compared to a vast proportion of the world, we are millionaires. The well off people who pray for the needy at christmas time whilst sitting in their nice cosy houses with loads of useless (as you mentioned) shit produced in the countries of the needy for slave-labour prices, and feeling good and fuzzy because they:

a) donated £2 to a charity like Oxfam (after spending £1,000 on Christmas) and
b) because they prayed to a God who is causing hundreds of people to suffer if he exists. (Not going into the suffering argument now :P )

It makes me sick. I am going to try and raise awareness over this Christmas period. Might do some flyers and stand in the rain.

BTW Buy fair trade products whenever possible, because then the money goes to the people who grew the stuff and not to some big multinational corporation that rips them off.
Fair trade is great. But I don't know if this is true- I heard that Fair Trade also discriminates unfairly against poorer farmers because they can't afford the sign-up fee for the fair trade tarrif. Do you know anything about that or is that just a rumour I heard?

I also have a fantastic site here, that I have been a member of for a while. It is a charitable website, that operates on a click to donate basis, but the best thing is you can donate for free. It works by people clicking, and their sponsors donating to charities a set amount of money (no idea how much) per click. Absolutely genius idea, and you guys should all give it a go. It takes like a minute and all you have to do is click like 14 times on the different causes. You don't even need an account, and can do it once a day.
http://www.care2.com/click-to-donate/
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:11:59 PM by ElliotViola »