Author Topic: meteors,the universe and God  (Read 448 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline 12 Monkeys

  • Professor
  • ********
  • Posts: 5596
  • Darwins +182/-16
  • Gender: Male
  • Dii hau dang ijii
meteors,the universe and God
« on: November 27, 2011, 08:21:04 PM »
 Could an event like a meteor hitting the earth and killing 90% or more of the earth finally put a rest to the God belief or would the remainder of humanity (10%) renew their faith because they survive?

 Could the universe have the last laugh? It has happened to the earth before,could again....thoughts?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline jetson

  • Administrator
  • *******
  • Posts: 8884
  • Darwins +420/-6
  • Gender: Male
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: meteors,the universe and God
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:34:50 PM »
God flung a giant asteroid at the earth long ago, in order to create the moon.  It's right there in Genesis, and hinted at through other scripture.  Look up Hugh Ross at the Reasons to Believe website, they lay it all out in perfect alignment with modern science.

Bwu ha ha ha ha hah ahah a,... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But yeah, I'm sure the leftovers would be 80% believers, so God would have spared them.  Imagine if there are about 144,000 survivors!

Offline kevinagain

  • Postgraduate
  • *****
  • Posts: 555
  • Darwins +24/-4
  • mean people suck.
Re: meteors,the universe and God
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:48:42 PM »
a meteor could never hit the earth. only meteorites can do that.

just a technical point.
don't make excuses for nasty people. you don't put a flower in an asshole and call it a vase.

Offline Irish

  • Fellow
  • *******
  • Posts: 3153
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Gender: Male
Re: meteors,the universe and God
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 10:37:37 PM »
Assuming the meteorite killed humans off uniformly across the globe we would be left with a mix of the religious and non-religious, roughly at what it is today at 85%/15%.  I can't see how it would be any different than now, only with fewer total numbers.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Historicity

  • Reader
  • ******
  • Posts: 2350
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • Gender: Male
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
Re: meteors,the universe and God
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 11:32:39 PM »
I remember an A.E. Van Vogt story in a post nuclear apocalyptic world where the 3 gods were Uranium, Plutonium and Radium.

During the story a priest mentioned there was a minority who had been around since nobody knows when who had an alternate version of origins.  One of their stories was about Noah and the great flood.  But as the priest of the radioactive gods pointed out that cult said everyone except Noah's family were killed.  Since there were people on Venus and Mars that would mean the flood would have had to flood the solar system.  That was ridiculous.  And look at the glowing pits of the radioactive gods.  There was a manifestation of real power!

Note that the Flood legend may have been caused by the Burckle Crater near Madagascar and it's credible the meteor[1] could be the basis of new beliefs.
 1. Whatever