Author Topic: Help creating Atheism pamphlets and billboards  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
Re: Help creating Atheism pamphlets and billboards
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 08:19:26 AM »
Have you considered making a list of magical claims from various religions and magical traditions of ancient times each followed by:

" Even though thousands believed this, you probably think this tale is ridiculous because we know better now, and if someone insisted this was the truth, you would then likely ask for proof."

Then go to

"There is a document, just about as old, that states a mystical being caused the world to flood, talks about men living hundreds of years, demons being driven into pigs, mud being made to magically heal blindness, and the dead rising from the graves.

You probably think this tale is true....why?"

I was thinking of making a "What do They Have in Common?" pamphlet with Jesus, Santa, Harry Potter, Superman, and Zeus on the cover, which would include content like you've suggested.

Specifically,while I use Harry Potter in my Essay "Why I Blaspheme" one of the things theists do when using Harry Potter or Superman analogy is the "Everyone knew/the author says it is fiction" canard. That's why, in this case, sticking to things thousands of people believed as true helps to drive the point home. Santa is a strange bordline case between the two.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2011, 11:26:45 AM »
I will offer to work on "who are atheists?".  I need some specifics though. 

What is the deadline? 
How many words?
Are there specific ideas you wanted incorporated?
Is there a specific format you wanted?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2011, 10:00:42 AM »
I will offer to work on "who are atheists?".  I need some specifics though. 

What is the deadline?  No deadline, they don't need to be all printed at the same time. I'll make them available as they are completed.
How many words? 1 page of text, single spaced, should be plenty.
Are there specific ideas you wanted incorporated? Atheism is not a religion, famous atheists past and present, we aren't satanists.
Is there a specific format you wanted? Plain text is fine, if you want to include any specific images, send them too, otherwise I'll just pull stuff from the web that fits.

"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 02:06:36 AM »
OK--- long time coming but I'm finally ready to take this project to the next level, and be more pro-active in defense of atheist rights. For those who would like to help or be involved in some way, I would really like this to be a community effort. If you can help write, proof-read, or fact check the information, or design templates and layouts for pamphlets, tri-fold flyers, billboards, etc, please add me on MSN, windsabre@hotmail.com.

To do immediately (over next 2 months)
1. build a website,
2. get pamphlet publishing cost estimates,
3. create nonprofit organization to collect donations
4. begin collecting donations through Kickstarter, Keva, Reddit, Facebook to offset initial creation costs of said materials

Next 2-6 months
5. write, design, and print initial sample run.
6. offer print-ready templates for download through website
7. publicize and collect volunteers through Facebook, Reddit, etc.
8. translate materials into other languages

After that
9. Sponsor booths at state fairs, and other events where the theists typically hand out their propaganda (to be organized and paid for in part by donations and in part by local atheist/freethinker/humanist organizations)
10. create support network of trustworthy people who would be willing to shelter those who have been kicked out of their homes or fear violence from their families for their atheism. Something like this already exists on Reddit.com/r/atheisthaven but it could use more organization and accessibility.
11. create a jobsforatheists website for people who have been fired or are afraid to be fired for being atheist.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 11:12:37 PM »
I can do all your programming for your website, for free.  If you can generate a team from here - all the better.  I can do some wizardry on the computer... But it takes time, as I do work my main job on the side. :)

Oh - even though I visualize code readily, I don't have a visual imagination to do artwork - someone will have to either design the web pages for me or do it in a graphical program.  Or you can choose a template, but that is lame, and it usually doesn't follow through on their design requirements to turn it in to an actual site, doesn't fit later, etc...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:15:18 PM by jeremy0 »
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline RNS

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
  • Diplomat
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2012, 11:03:18 AM »
I'd like to help, but I'm not sure how really. I'm just a student with limited resources etc.
Was thinking about taking on the "Can You Be Good Without God?   Morality is evolutionary, not devine" if that's not already taken.
love and truth and love of truth

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2012, 08:07:03 PM »
I owe you a "who are atheists" piece.  I've not forgotten.  And I have worked on it.  I will try to have it by 5/1.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 09:56:40 PM »
I will start working on the website right now. These domains are available, which one sounds best? (Don't click on them, there's nothing there!)

openatheist.com or .org
openatheism.org
freeatheism.com or .org

Or suggest a different one. Please check www.godaddy.com or any other domain registrar you prefer to see if it's available before making a suggestion.

For anyone who wishes, I will create an email account or an email forward for you with our new domain.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 02:54:10 AM »
Basic framework of the website is up at temporary address. http://openatheist.chazbowers.com

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 03:36:12 PM »
In light of this, I think I may 'unleash the web..'  To come in the distant future, unless I meet an accidental death.. I need to write a couple of other software pieces first..
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +888/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 03:54:32 PM »
This sounds like a wonderful project. I will donate money when you are ready for that. I also have some ideas on what it is like to be an atheist who is black and female, ie risks and benefits of coming out, reasons why black folks believe in the face of reality. Maybe Timo can work on this? He is a dynamite wordmeister.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 10:04:44 PM »
@JoeBowers:

Colorado has an atheist group called the 'Colorado Coalition of Reason'.. They are mainly a group of somewhat activists in colorado, however my point here being that perhaps we can use a site like what you are putting up in order to form localized groups > I'm saying this because I think it would be more to the benefit of individual atheists to have groups local to their area rather than just on the internet in the form of youtube or forums..

I am imagining your site bringing local groups for people to meet and get involved, discuss matters that they want to discuss, etc., and maybe efforts could be coordinated on a larger-than-local stage at times..

Just a thought - I would rather be able to get involved by attending meetings and such or group discussion/events rather than just doing it all on the internet alone..

But, your post gave me an idea, that maybe I'll try if I live long enough.  It relates to software, so it's not really relevant in this post.  You gave me an interesting idea for a web-based operating system..

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2012, 12:24:26 AM »
@Jeremy0

I can create subdomains like boise.openatheist.org, chicago.openatheist.org, etc. for local chapters to manage. I also plan to create a directory of local atheist/secular/humanist organizations so people can find support and company in their hometown.

I'm a bit stalled out right now as I'm trying to arrange for someone to purchase a domain name for me. You see I live in China and typically my uncle buys things for me if I need something from the US, but he's a Christian and I don't want to ask him to register this for me.

Once I get the domain issue settled I will continue filling out the website and make it public.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 12:47:15 AM by joebbowers »

Offline IAmFirst

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2012, 04:51:14 AM »
JOE!

I would really like to be involved somehow with the creation of this material. Please PM me, I will send you email/phone info. I really think your plans for a little bit of rational enlightenment are right on target.

"Being Good Without God" is one that interests me the most. I think it's easy to tell and to really show people how just being nice doesn't require a eternal reward.

One thing to point out-- you're trying to open a conversation with your plans you describe, not an attack, which I agree with. When we all work on debunking the dumb shit like "we really worship satan" or "Hitler was an atheist", we have to be as factual and not opinionated like we are on this board.

Again, please feel free to PM me for my contact info. Looks fantastic so far! :)
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +105/-1
  • You know
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2012, 01:33:48 AM »
Maybe Timo can work on this? He is a dynamite wordmeister.

I appreciate the compliment but nah, I'd be bad for this project.  It's all about being open.  And while I am that in real life, I'm trying to keep my online life and my offline life as separate as possible.  Which means, nah, I'm not trying to throw my name and photo up there like that and have potential bosses finding out the kind, gentle, respectable Negro that just made a great impression in the panel interview thinks their god is for pretend.   And I'm not trying to hold my tongue out of fear for that kind of scenario.

All the best though.
Nah son...

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +888/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2012, 10:29:39 AM »
I get ya. I already have a professor job with tenure, I have been around the block a few times, and I am still a bit nervous about having my face and name associated with atheism.

Although when I discussed this project with my [religious] husband, he said it was a lot like many people who come out as gay and nobody they tell is surprised.... :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2012, 10:49:52 AM »
I am still a bit nervous about having my face and name associated with atheism.

What a sad statement, and just the type of thinking my website is trying to fight.

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +105/-1
  • You know
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »
I don't know about all that.  I think that we atheists are a reasonable and pragmatic people.  We know that a lot of believers think certain things about us, that we are immoral, arrogant, obnoxious, etc.  And we know that, at the very least, they are often threatened by our position in a way that they would not be threatened by say, someone of a different faith.  They also happen to constitute the vast majority of people and therefore the vast majority of employers. 

So, yeah, I'd agree that it's important to be open about our atheism for the same reason that it was and is important for gays to be open.  It's harder to hate us when they know us.  Still, I don't think that it's more important than gainful employment.
Nah son...

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012, 02:23:23 PM »
Unfortunately in NA, if you put yourself out as an atheist you could in fact be fired by your theist bosses.. or denied positions on the basis that you are an atheist.  I think the numbers of atheists are more important than the names anyway, as well as the message(s) they are trying to bring to the public.

That being said, I think there's more importance for the group to be publicly known, rather than just the individual.  If the individual chooses to claim atheism, they can certainly do so on their own time.  Not every case of discrimination/wrongful termination can be verified as such.  A lot of companies will make something up when firing you, as well as make something up when deciding not to hire..

So I would say, would be best for people in the US to remain 'individually silent' as atheists, unless they are in a good position and choose otherwise, until atheism gains more acceptance in the US aside from 'damn you, burn you, demons, satan, etc.' that we'll get from the theists..

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »
So I would say, would be best for people in the US to remain 'individually silent' as atheists, unless they are in a good position and choose otherwise, until atheism gains more acceptance in the US aside from 'damn you, burn you, demons, satan, etc.' that we'll get from the theists..

The thing is, though, atheism won't gain more acceptance until atheists have greater visibility, and that can't happen if we all remain "individually silent".  The gay rights movement, in its early days, realized this, which is why they had events like parades that basically served only one purpose: to show the world that they existed.  ("We're here, we're queer, get used to it.")  The most basic element that must exist for civil rights and liberties to be granted to a minority is for the majority to have no choice but to face and accept the realization that that minority exists.

All that being said, though, I still wouldn't say that all atheists have an obligation to be "out".  For some, it can be dangerous, and in such cases, I can't sit in judgment on those who feel they need to remain closeted for their safety.  For my own part, however, being out is pretty safe -- probably the only risk I take is job loss, but around here, that's probably unlikely -- so I wear my scarlet "A" pin every day, and when asked what it means, I explain it.  Among other things, it's my own small contribution toward creating a society in which being openly atheist will be safe, or at least safer than it is now.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2012, 02:56:05 PM »
Agreed, pianodwarf..

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2012, 02:50:02 AM »

The thing is, though, atheism won't gain more acceptance until atheists have greater visibility, and that can't happen if we all remain "individually silent".  The gay rights movement, in its early days, realized this, which is why they had events like parades that basically served only one purpose: to show the world that they existed.  ("We're here, we're queer, get used to it.")  The most basic element that must exist for civil rights and liberties to be granted to a minority is for the majority to have no choice but to face and accept the realization that that minority exists.

Indeedy.  But there a big difference between being part of a crowd, and having your face and name individually and permanently displayed.  There ARE nutters out there, let's face it, so I've got no issue with anyone who wants to keep any part of their life hidden.  I applaud those who are ready and willing to put their face out there - but some of us don't just have our own selves to think about.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2012, 07:38:38 AM »

Indeedy.  But there a big difference between being part of a crowd, and having your face and name individually and permanently displayed.  There ARE nutters out there, let's face it, so I've got no issue with anyone who wants to keep any part of their life hidden.  I applaud those who are ready and willing to put their face out there - but some of us don't just have our own selves to think about.

Yes, I know that, and I agree -- that's what I said in the paragraph after the one you quoted above:

All that being said, though, I still wouldn't say that all atheists have an obligation to be "out".  For some, it can be dangerous, and in such cases, I can't sit in judgment on those who feel they need to remain closeted for their safety.  For my own part, however, being out is pretty safe -- probably the only risk I take is job loss, but around here, that's probably unlikely -- so I wear my scarlet "A" pin every day, and when asked what it means, I explain it.  Among other things, it's my own small contribution toward creating a society in which being openly atheist will be safe, or at least safer than it is now.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2012, 08:30:01 AM »
Dang.  Cut the wrong paragraph - I DID register you'd said that, honest!
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2012, 09:15:39 AM »
All that being said, though, I still wouldn't say that all atheists have an obligation to be "out". 

I think as long as it is safe, it is an obligation.  If it is unsafe, then said atheist should have a plan for making himself or herself safe and then put that plan into action.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2012, 10:00:59 PM »
I think as long as it is safe, it is an obligation.  If it is unsafe, then said atheist should have a plan for making himself or herself safe and then put that plan into action.

Exactly. Unless there is a clear and present physical danger in revealing yourself, I think you owe it to yourself and the community to do so. Why live a lie that only serves to delay our acceptance? The only reason it's dangerous to be an atheist is because the theists think there are so few of us. They must be shown that they are wrong. There are far more of us than they think.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »
When I have my opportunity, I will come out as an atheist with ferocity...   >:(