Author Topic: Help creating Atheism pamphlets and billboards  (Read 3223 times)

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Help creating Atheism pamphlets and billboards
« on: November 27, 2011, 03:51:22 AM »
I am creating a series of printed atheism materials to be distributed in response to the deluge of theist propaganda. This will include pamphlets, flyers, brochures, bumper stickers, billboards, T-shirts, posters, coloring books, etc., and a new website where visitors can learn more.

My goal with these materials is not to make a profit, but to promote reason and rational thought. They will be available online to download free or for printing cost+shipping.

There are already some of these materials available online, but most of them are poorly designed and meant to be downloaded and printed at home with a cheap inkjet. As a professional photographer with lots of design experience, I want to create a line of professional, attractive, and compelling materials.

I will set up booths at events like fairs, festivals, concerts, etc. (anywhere the theists establish their presence) to hand them out and answer questions, just like the theists do. I already know someone will make the argument that by handing out materials at events like the theists, I will be lending legitimacy to their claims that atheism is a religion. My response would be that MADD is there handing out materials against drunk-driving, the EPA is there handing out materials against littering and pollution. Spongebob is there handing out balloons. Are they religions? If not believing in a god is a religion then not playing chess is a hobby.

The content of these materials will cover topics such as: "Why Religion is Harmful", "Why God is Imaginary", "Why Atheists Do Not Worship Satan", "Who Are Atheists", "The Founding Fathers Were Not Christian" and others.

Some of them will be humorous, shedding light on the ridiculous nature of religion. Others will adopt a serious, cautionary tone, such as detailing how so-called Christian Scientists cause death by forgoing medical care for prayer.

The materials will direct readers to the newbsite I will be creating if they would like to learn more. From that website they can find links to other atheist websites including this one, as well as purchase atheist books by Dawkins, Hitchens, and others. Any profits from the website will help pay for the cost of maintaining the website, and maybe putting up billboards and bus signs if there's enough revenue. We will also accept donations towards those goals.

I would like to ask if anyone would be interested in helping me write or design some of these materials, or helping create and maintain the website. I already have a great design layout for the website, and a server with plenty of space and bandwidth to host it. What I'm really hoping to find is some content writers and maybe some help creating templates for the printed materials.

I am also looking for people who would like to help spread the message. I want to find volunteers who would be interested in setting up their own booths at events in their cities and handing out my materials, as well as selling the T-shirts, posters, etc., to pay for the cost of the booths.

I will create a list of topics that I would like to create material for. If you are willing and able to write a clear and intelligent presention for that topic I'll put your name beside it. If two people would like to collaborate on one topic together that's fine.

TopicContent FocusPresented by
The Founding Fathers Were Not ChristiansSeperation of church and state, Godless constitutionJoe Bowers
Why Religion is HarmfulNegative effects on society and individualsAvailable
Why God Is ImaginaryFlawed Bible, Complete Lack of EvidenceAvailable
What Your Church Doesn't Tell YouSlavery, rape, baby-bashing, animal sacrifice in the bibleAvailable
What is AtheismWho Are Atheists, How Atheism is not Devil-worshipAvailable
Can You Be Good Without God?Morality is evolutionary, not devineAvailable
Evolution vs. CreationObservable science vs. fairy tales, why ID shouldn't be taught in schoolsAvailable

The standard pamphlet will be a single sheet, trifolded, which makes 6 panels for content. The front cover will be mostly graphics and titles, which leaves 5 panels, so there is a lot of flexibility in the type and amount of content each one can have. Consider the use of photos, statistical charts, quotes, snippets from other sources, lists, etc., to add a visual flair.

Some of these topics may overlap a bit and be merged together. If you have ideas for others, please suggest them, I will add them to the list.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 05:55:06 AM by joebbowers »
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
Re: Help creating Atheism pamphlets and billboards
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 04:03:32 AM »
I will gladly help you in any way I can.
The Second C

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +411/-5
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 04:37:04 AM »
It's a good plan - but are there enough Christians where you live to make it worth while?  1.5% doesn't sound a lot, given that 67% are Buddhist.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 04:56:13 AM »
It's a good plan - but are there enough Christians where you live to make it worth while?  1.5% doesn't sound a lot, given that 67% are Buddhist.

My location is irrelevant. I am travelling in Laos right now, but I do not live here. I spend most of my time in China although I am planning to move back to the US soon. That is all off-topic though, as I want to find volunteers who would be interested in setting up their own booths at events in their cities and handing out my materials, as well as selling the T-shirts, posters, etc., to pay for the cost of the booths.

And BTW, I am not only targeting Christians, but all religions, including Buddhist.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 04:59:05 AM »
Some of these topics may overlap a bit and be merged together. If you have ideas for others, please suggest them, I will add them to the list.

I suppose you could merge some of these topics (ike "Why Atheists Do Not Worship Satan" & "What is Atheism, and Who Are Atheists") into an umbrella topic titled "Top X Misconceptions Of Atheists/Atheism".

But I guess that would be more lengthy than separate topics.

Additional (sub?)topic for now:

Being An Atheist Is Not Being A Nihilist (Perhaps with "Can You Be Good Without God"?)
The Second C

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 05:05:56 AM »
I suppose you could merge some of these topics (ike "Why Atheists Do Not Worship Satan" & "What is Atheism, and Who Are Atheists") into an umbrella topic titled "Top X Misconceptions Of Atheists/Atheism".

I agree. I will merge those. The standard pamphlet will be a single sheet, trifolded, which makes 6 panels for content. The front cover will be mostly graphics and titles, which leaves 5 pages, so there is a lot of flexibility in the amount of text each one can have.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 05:55:55 AM »
Is there a limit to how many times a post may be edited? It won't allow me to modify my original post anymore.  >:(
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 05:59:30 AM by joebbowers »

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 06:19:24 AM »
I believe that there is a time limit rather than the amount of times you can modify your post.
The Second C

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 08:02:58 AM »
So far all of the pamphlet topics I've suggested are directed at theists. I would also like to create a couple for atheists as well, perhaps one about coming out to their family and friends, one about how to deal with the loss of God for the recently deprogrammed, and one about um.... oops. I forgot the third one.  ;D

Oh yeah, I remember. A list of top arguments from theists and how to refute them.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 08:08:20 AM »
Is there a limit to how many times a post may be edited? It won't allow me to modify my original post anymore.  >:(

Like C said, it's a time limit. Two hours, IIRC.

On-topic: Assuming that this would be in the USA, pamphlets would not be very effective, IMO. We should focus on billboards, even though they are (a lot) more expensive.

Pamphlets tend to be thrown in the trash (or even the middle of the street) as soon as someone sees that they disagree with what's written on it. Also, there are three groups who might read a "Why God Is Imaginary" pamphlet (for example): Fundies (very low probability, unless they want to use those against us; twisting it around as some sort of "Atheists are trying to destroy this country" thing), atheists (who already agree) or liberal christians (who would say something like "Let's agree to disagree").

Billboards and bus signs, on the other hand, are "huge"[1] and people have a tendency to read them, regardless of what's written on them. There's always the risk of vandalism (you know how "good christians" are, right?), but that's a risk we'd have to take either way. Distributing pamphlets, although harmless, could spark a few physical encounters with the fundies (once again, "good christians" are awesome[/sarcasm]).

On that note, I think that mocking them might also not be the best tactic. Mocking causes violent thoughts, which in turn causes violence towards the people distributing the pamphlets. Fundies are particularly prone to this. I'm all for this, but I'd much rather not have to get beaten up by fundies (and most likely ignored by the police and surrounding people, given the fact that a very large percentage of my country is christian and/or retarded) to achieve this goal.

That said, billboards and bus signs also have the downside of being too small for a very long message; we'd have to come up with short phrases to put on them. However, I think that a short phrase that makes people think is more effective than a large pamphlet with many rational arguments against theism.

So far all of the pamphlet topics I've suggested are directed at theists. I would also like to create a couple for atheists as well, perhaps one about coming out to their family and friends, one about how to deal with the loss of God for the recently deprogrammed, and one about
<snip>

They would have to be very well written, and we shouldn't advise those with fundamentalist parents to come out to them unless they're safe (on their way to college or not living with them anymore, for example). Fundies are not above killing their kids or completely cutting them off. We would also have to offer advice to those who would choose to come out either way.

A list of top arguments from theists and how to refute them.

C (IIRC) made such a topic a while back. 13 (IIRC) top arguments from christians (and their respective refutation).
 1. I'll explain why I wrote it this way below.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 08:44:09 AM »
Oh yeah, I remember. A list of top arguments from theists and how to refute them.

It's brief, but here: http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,20572.0.html

On that note, I think that mocking them might also not be the best tactic. Mocking causes violent thoughts, which in turn causes violence towards the people distributing the pamphlets. Fundies are particularly prone to this. I'm all for this, but I'd much rather not have to get beaten up by fundies (and most likely ignored by the police and surrounding people, given the fact that a very large percentage of my country is christian and/or retarded) to achieve this goal.

So much shit would hit the fan if they tried to physically harm you. So much that people would be forced to pay attention. I really don't recall any major incidents when atheists were physically harmed, threatened yes, but not actually harmed. Though of course, I'm not suggesting that you get beaten up in the first place.

As for mocking them, I think we should stay on the informative side rather than the aggressive side for now. Better to spread "easy" facts/information and helpful guides than to outright attack established religions.

That said, billboards and bus signs also have the downside of being too small for a very long message; we'd have to come up with short phrases to put on them. However, I think that a short phrase that makes people think is more effective than a large pamphlet with many rational arguments against theism.

As you've pointed out, billboards and such are really expensive. And I don't think they'd be really effective anymore considering all that media attention on the vandalized billboards in the past. People will probably see it as atheists trying to stir up things again.
The Second C

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 08:52:27 AM »
So much shit would hit the fan if they tried to physically harm you. So much that people would be forced to pay attention. I really don't recall any major incidents when atheists were physically harmed, threatened yes, but not actually harmed.

You don't live in my country. These people are fucking retarded and have a serious case of "misplaced anger". They threw a couple of molotovs into two finance buildings (country's economy is going down the drain right now; the government asked people to work for an additional thirty minutes every day, but apparently that's too much to ask for), probably harmed innocent people, all because they're retards.
I might have been exaggerating with the "ignored by the police" thing, now that I think about it, but the surrounding people would most likely ignore it.

Though of course, I'm not suggesting that you get beaten up in the first place.

I knew it! You want me to get beaten up. :'(

As for mocking them, I think we should stay on the informative side rather than the aggressive side for now. Better to spread "easy" facts/information and helpful guides than to outright attack established religions.

Good idea.

As you've pointed out, billboards and such are really expensive. And I don't think they'd be really effective anymore considering all that media attention on the vandalized billboards in the past. People will probably see it as atheists trying to stir up things again.

Maybe you're right.

Small thing I forgot: Not all religions are harmful or falsifiable[1]. If we move on to attacking established religions, we should only do so to the ones that are actually falsifiable[2] and harmful, rather than the others.
 1. Taoism, Buddhism, et cetera.
 2. Christianity, Mormons, et cetera.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:53:59 AM by Lucifer »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 09:07:35 AM »

Joe - repost the full edited text in a new reply, and I will modify your original, with a note indicating my intervention.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +454/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 09:29:21 AM »
Joe, what you're planning sounds awesome, but I think Lucifer does make a good point about the limited utility of atheist pamphlets.  Handbills could still be posted on community bulletin boards, attached to telephone poles at street corners, etc. though.  Here's an idea regarding billboards:

The billboards can feature the title of one or more of your pamphlets, as a URL, Like: "FoundingFathersNotChristian.com" or "GodIsFake.com" as their message.  Each website would then feature written versions of the arguments and graphics, and/or YouTube videos, and link to the other sites.  Hopefully an approach like this would have the advantages of billboards (highly public, controversial, simple message that can be read quickly) and pamphlets/videos (more thorough explanation/argumentation than can fit on a billboard).  This would be expensive, with the cost of the billboards and hosting fees, but maybe you could put up your designs somewhere people can see them (to solicit support for the project) and set up a Kickstarter.com account to raise funds.  My money's going to be tight until (probably) January due to car expenses, but once I've got some spare funds, I'd be happy to donate to a project like that.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 09:53:57 AM »
...Small thing I forgot: Not all religions are harmful or falsifiable[1]. If we move on to attacking established religions, we should only do so to the ones that are actually falsifiable[2] and harmful, rather than the others.
 1. Taoism, Buddhism, et cetera.
 2. Christianity, Mormons, et cetera.

I agree with you. He does not. he's got buddhism listed as one to argue against.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 10:05:31 AM »
And BTW, I am not only targeting Christians, but all religions, including Buddhist.

As others have pointed out already, and I agree, that attacks on every religion which would also include the relatively harmless ones won't go anywhere. ^^^^^^
The Second C

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 10:13:48 AM »
Joe, what you're planning sounds awesome, but I think Lucifer does make a good point about the limited utility of atheist pamphlets.  Handbills could still be posted on community bulletin boards, attached to telephone poles at street corners, etc. though.

The pamphlets serve several purposes, with deprogramming theists among them, but also to establish a presence, to let atheists and theists alike know that we have arrived, we're not ashamed or afraid to stand up and be counted. Hopefully it would encourage other atheists to come out, maybe it will let some on-the-fence theists realize there is another option than what they've been raised to believe, and it might also plant the seeds of doubt in others.

Remember I also said we should have members setting up booths at events, we could even possibly raise money to set up an information kiosk at some local malls with a couple of volunteers to be there to answer questions. In my hometown in Idaho, churches often do that. The handouts are important, but a real person there to talk to puts a human face on atheism, makes it seem less threatening, and more approachable.

It also lets those churches handing out their propaganda know that we're not afraid of them.

Here's an idea regarding billboards:

The billboards can feature the title of one or more of your pamphlets, as a URL, Like: "FoundingFathersNotChristian.com" or "GodIsFake.com" as their message.  Each website would then feature written versions of the arguments and graphics, and/or YouTube videos, and link to the other sites.  Hopefully an approach like this would have the advantages of billboards (highly public, controversial, simple message that can be read quickly) and pamphlets/videos (more thorough explanation/argumentation than can fit on a billboard).  This would be expensive, with the cost of the billboards and hosting fees, but maybe you could put up your designs somewhere people can see them (to solicit support for the project) and set up a Kickstarter.com account to raise funds.  My money's going to be tight until (probably) January due to car expenses, but once I've got some spare funds, I'd be happy to donate to a project like that.

Very clever. I already have a hosting package with plenty of space and bandwidth, that allows me to host unlimited websites. We would just have to buy the domains for about $12 each, per year. Not very expensive.

So much shit would hit the fan if they tried to physically harm you. So much that people would be forced to pay attention.

I expect that to happen. I'm not afraid, but if another volunteer were to run at the first hint of trouble, I'd understand.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 10:19:55 AM »
Oh and regarding Buddhism... I've been living in Laos for about six months. This is a Buddhist country. They use a large portion of their tax base to build and maintain giant temples, and feed and clothe thousands of monks. And unlike in other countries where churches are capable of doing useful things like offering classes and feeding the homeless, the temples and monks in Laos provide no public services, just a massive drain on the economy. 

Meanwhile, homelessness is rampant, people are starving, they have no public education system and no modern hospital.

Edited to add more examples of the harm of Buddhism here in Laos--

30 years ago the US government gave them a shipload of concrete specifically to build a modern runway. Instead they used it to build another temple.

Monks at the temples will tell your fortune, for a donation of course. We know they are charletans, giving false hope but taking real money in return.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:29:44 AM by joebbowers »

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 10:22:49 AM »
Oh and regarding Buddhism... I've been living in Laos for about six months. This is a Buddhist country. They use a large portion of their tax base to build and maintain giant temples, and feed and clothe thousands of monks. And unlike in other countries where churches are capable of doing useful things like offering classes and feeding the homeless, the temples and monks in Laos provide no public services, just a massive drain on the economy. 

Meanwhile, homelessness is rampant, people are starving, they have no public education system and no modern hospital.

I did not know this. We should dedicate one type of pamphlet to advocating the complete removal of support by the governments of the world (including, but not limited to, tax exemption status).
We choose our own gods.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 10:36:23 AM »
We should dedicate one type of pamphlet to advocating the complete removal of support by the governments of the world (including, but not limited to, tax exemption status).

Great idea, I'll add it to the list.

Edit: Actually I think that information could go into the "The Founding Fathers Weren't Christians" pamphlet, after explaining how the founding fathers wanted the churches to get no tax money.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:38:53 AM by joebbowers »

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 11:46:51 AM »
This probably should have been your first post but that's all water under the bridge.

I work in a print shop. I have the time, experience and resources to help layout the pamphlets and posters up to 12x18 in black and white and color. We have very competitive prices in our area and I can offer deeper discounts as well. The cost of shipping becomes an issue as I cannot absorb them, however it should still be relatively inexpensive for me to cover the southeast portion of the US.

All I would need is high resolution images, preferably .jpg or .pdf. We currently use Adobe CS3 which is quickly becoming obsolete.

As a side note. Perhaps you could set up a (503c) and partner with other charitable causes to provide clean  drinking water and medicine to impoverished areas. This would give your message a more humanitarian flavor and allow you to say "Proceeds go to help fill in the blank"

I am all for this type of campaign and will do every thing I can to help. Just don't ask me to make fun of people while jerking Christian coloring books from their kids hands.

Best regards,

Jason  Blackwell
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:50:00 AM by jaybwell32 »
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 12:10:15 PM »

Edited to add more examples of the harm of Buddhism here in Laos--

30 years ago the US government gave them a shipload of concrete specifically to build a modern runway. Instead they used it to build another temple.

Monks at the temples will tell your fortune, for a donation of course. We know they are charletans, giving false hope but taking real money in return.

Definately an issue, thanks for sharing that. My only experience with buddhism is within the USA, where it seems mostly to be much more benign.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »
Joe, as a fomer English teacher, current pedant and all-round Grammar Nazi (which isn't a figure of speech, it's literally true - I really do think that splitting an infinitive should be a capital offence), I'd be happy to proof-read your material.

Seperation of church and state, Godless constitution
Separation.

Morality is evolutionary, not devine
Divine.

See? I'm hard at work already.

Gnu.

PS: Where do we send our expenses claims? Mine are mounting up...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:45:30 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 03:47:55 PM »
Joe, as a fomer English teacher, current pedant and all-round Grammar Nazi (which isn't a figure of speech, it's literally true - I really do think that splitting an infinitive should be a capital offence), I'd be happy to proof-read your material....

As someone who couldn't remember exactly what a split infinitive was, I had to look it up. Here is what I found at wiki ...

As the split infinitive became more common in the 19th century, some grammatical authorities sought to introduce a prescriptive rule against it. The construction is still the subject of disagreement among native English speakers as to whether it is grammatically correct or good style: "No other grammatical issue has so divided English speakers since the split infinitive was declared to be a solecism in the 19c [19th century]: raise the subject of English usage in any conversation today and it is sure to be mentioned".[1] However, most modern English usage guides have dropped the objection to the split infinitive

See? We can create controversy about anything;D

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 10:21:18 PM »
Joe, as a fomer English teacher, current pedant and all-round Grammar Nazi (which isn't a figure of speech, it's literally true - I really do think that splitting an infinitive should be a capital offence), I'd be happy to proof-read your material.

I appreciate it, obviously in any finalized printed materials I make I would have done a spell check. If you're offering to proof-read, I will take you up on that, however please don't post minor spelling corrections in the thread, it's off-topic. If it bothers you, you may send a private message, which in all honesty I won't read as I'm not concerned about the occasional spelling error.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:31:19 PM by joebbowers »

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 10:48:22 PM »
I appreciate it, obviously in any finalized printed materials I make I would have done a spell check. If you're offering to proof-read, I will take you up on that, however please don't post minor spelling corrections in the thread, it's off-topic. If it bothers you, you may send a private message, which in all honesty I won't read as I'm not concerned about the occasional spelling error.

Joe,

After reading your reply to Gnu I am reminded that atheists are dicks. It's true. Also true, Christians are pussies. You, Joe, are an asshole.

Edit:
To remove unnecessary knee jerk asshole statement on my part. The rest I leave for sheer comedic value.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:14:23 AM by jaybwell32 »
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +598/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Good luck with this.  Seriously.  Sometimes, the simplest ideas can be the most difficult and challenging to execute.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 03:17:37 PM »
Have you considered making a list of magical claims from various religions and magical traditions of ancient times each followed by:

" Even though thousands believed this, you probably think this tale is ridiculous because we know better now, and if someone insisted this was the truth, you would then likely ask for proof."

Then go to

"There is a document, just about as old, that states a mystical being caused the world to flood, talks about men living hundreds of years, demons being driven into pigs, mud being made to magically heal blindness, and the dead rising from the graves.

You probably think this tale is true....why?"

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 04:18:30 AM »
Have you considered making a list of magical claims from various religions and magical traditions of ancient times each followed by:

" Even though thousands believed this, you probably think this tale is ridiculous because we know better now, and if someone insisted this was the truth, you would then likely ask for proof."

Then go to

"There is a document, just about as old, that states a mystical being caused the world to flood, talks about men living hundreds of years, demons being driven into pigs, mud being made to magically heal blindness, and the dead rising from the graves.

You probably think this tale is true....why?"

I was thinking of making a "What do They Have in Common?" pamphlet with Jesus, Santa, Harry Potter, Superman, and Zeus on the cover, which would include content like you've suggested.