Author Topic: Religious debate is pointless, the best cure is prevention  (Read 6417 times)

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Religious debate is pointless, the best cure is prevention
« Reply #232 on: November 27, 2011, 12:43:13 AM »
And if that's not enough, read my original post! Or if you're incapable of reading it without self-projecting your own thoughts into it, ask someone to read it for you.

This wasn't a personal attack. I meant it literally. Some people have shown that they can't read something and see it as it's written, they project their own thoughts into it and see it as they want to see it. By asking someone else to read it and explain it to them, perhaps they could understand it's intended meaning without being filtered through their personal biases.

Of course, this assumes that the person who read it to them also doesn't self-project, but as we've seen here the majority are able to understand my original post as I intended it.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #233 on: November 27, 2011, 12:49:02 AM »
Quote from: Lucifer
And most of those were directed at me!

That's because you've written the most replies to my original post, most in number and most in deserving of ridicule.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #234 on: November 27, 2011, 12:50:52 AM »
Quote from: Lucifer
And most of those were directed at me!

That's because you've written the most replies to my original post, most in number and most in deserving of ridicule.

Aww. :(
And here I thought we had something special. :(
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #235 on: November 27, 2011, 01:15:07 AM »
Circular reasoning.

Joe - Original Post
Forum - What do you mean, this...or this?
Joe - I am not going to waste my time answering your questions. Well, maybe I'll answer some questions that I don't think go against my OP but If I think you might be trying to question my superior intellect then I am not going to waste my time.
Forum - Why not
Joe - Read my original post.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #236 on: November 27, 2011, 01:18:48 AM »
Circular reasoning.

Joe - Original Post
Joe - I am not going to waste my time answering your questions. Well, maybe I'll answer some questions that I don't think go against my OP but If I think you might be trying to question my superior intellect then I am not going to waste my time.
Forum - Why not

To be fair, he did start answering a few questions that he had previously dismissed. Now we'll just see if that continues until there are no more questions about his OP. Afterward, we can have a proper debate.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #237 on: November 27, 2011, 01:20:05 AM »
To be fair, he did start answering a few questions that he had previously dismissed. Now we'll just see if that continues until there are no more questions about his OP. Afterward, we can have a proper debate.

One can only hope.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #238 on: November 27, 2011, 01:28:31 AM »
Circular reasoning.

Joe - Original Post
Forum - Why not

I think this is more accurate:

Joe: Original Post
Minority of members of forum: "Olliptical Pots?" That's ridiculous!
Majority of members of forum: He said "Original Post."
Joe: Yeah, "Original Post"
Minority of members of forum: I demand to know what you meant by "Olliptical Pots"!
Joe: *sigh* /ignore
Minority of members of forum: "Olliptical pots" must be defined!
Majority of members of forum: Seriously, he said "Original Post."
Joe: Original Post.
Minority of members of forum: *off-topic rant*

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #239 on: November 27, 2011, 01:35:22 AM »
Circular reasoning.

Joe - Original Post
Forum - Why not

I think this is more accurate:

Joe: Original Post
Minority of members of forum: "Olliptical Pots?" That's ridiculous!
Majority of members of forum: He said "Original Post."
Joe: Yeah, "Original Post"
Minority of members of forum: I demand to know what you meant by "Olliptical Pots"!
Joe: *sigh* /ignore
Minority of members of forum: "Olliptical pots" must be defined!
Majority of members of forum: Seriously, he said "Original Post."
Joe: Original Post.
Minority of members of forum: *off-topic rant*

Well shit dude...now you have to demonstrate that the "majority" of this forum understood what you meant in your olliptical pot.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #240 on: November 27, 2011, 01:41:15 AM »
Well shit dude...now you have to demonstrate that the "majority" of this forum understood what you meant in your olliptical pot.

I don't have to demonstrate what is obvious, which has been my point all along.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #241 on: November 27, 2011, 01:41:29 AM »
Okay - this thread has turned into a slapping contest, so I'm locking it.

Joe, I think you need to consider that on a forum such as this, the specific words you use are extremely important.  Its true that there are some things that many people may take as "obvious" and which need no explanation - indeed, that may apply to the majority of people.  But consider that - to the majority of people in the Western world - "god" is considered to be "obvious".  You'll have a more enjoyable time here - and have your thoughts and opinions taken more seriously - if you take the time to clarify when someone questions you.  Accept that - sometimes - your communication skills may not be as incisive and obvious as you think they are.

And to the others: consider that Joe is on the side of rationality and reason and non-theism.  He's "one of us", even if we dislike the way he may be putting the message across.  Remember that he is new to this forum - consider whether it would have been better to deal more softly with a newbie whose heart appears to be in the right place.

...aaaaaand locked.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?