Author Topic: Butterball Blessing Turkeys in Allah’s Name  (Read 883 times)

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Butterball Blessing Turkeys in Allah’s Name
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 11:54:52 PM »
There is an awful lot of pandering to Christians by retailers this time of the year....

I don't think so. Look around at the advertisements. Pictures of Santa, "Happy Holidays" and "Season's Greetings" signs everywhere. None of that is directed at any specific religious group. You see far fewer "Merry Christmas" signs than in the past, and I don't see any ads for "Blessed Baptised Baked Hams" or "Holy Water Eggnog".

Do you really think American Muslims (presumably the market for a halal Thanksgiving turkey) are "the enemy"? Even the Muslims currently serving in the US armed forces?

As a rational human being I think all religions are the enemy. As an American I think Islam is the most dangerous of those religions.

Should we be rooting them out of our communities, perhaps making them wear a certain color star on their clothes to identify them? You can't be too safe, you know...

SPAJ.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +441/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2011, 10:14:38 AM »
SPAJ.
The fact that you have a tendency to dismiss harsh criticism as "self-projection-as-joe" is a disturbing form of ad hominem, as you are ignoring what they actually say and instead declare that they are projecting.
Worldviews:  Everyone has one, everyone believes them to be an accurate view of the world, and everyone ends up at least partially wrong.  However, some worldviews are stronger and well-supported, while others are so bizarre that they make no sense to anyone else.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +677/-1
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2011, 03:52:50 PM »
There is an awful lot of pandering to Christians by retailers this time of the year....

I don't think so. Look around at the advertisements. Pictures of Santa, "Happy Holidays" and "Season's Greetings" signs everywhere. None of that is directed at any specific religious group. You see far fewer "Merry Christmas" signs than in the past, and I don't see any ads for "Blessed Baptised Baked Hams" or "Holy Water Eggnog".

I haven't seen any ads for holiday halal turkeys, nor any ads wishing us all a Happy Eid or a Joyous Ramadan, either. Are you trying to say that if Christians are not directly mentioned in a commercial or ad, retailers must be secretly promoting Muslim holidays? Why can't we just have the holidays be whatever people want to celebrate?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:59:22 PM by nogodsforme »
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2011, 04:24:38 PM »
I just bought my cards from the left side of the rack.  They say "Season's Greetings" and have a nice wreath of seaweed, shells and a starfish lying on the beach.

And what sitteth at the right hand side of the rack?  The "Merry Christmas" cards with the wise men and shepherds.   

It's the Yuletide season and those of you up north will soon have the treasure of snow sprinkled on you from the storehouse where God and his little angels make it and store it up.   That's in Job 38:22.

RSV Job 38:22 "Have you entered the storehouses of the snow, or have you seen the storehouses of the hail ..."

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 12:32:08 PM »
No, the objection is to an American company pandering to a group we see as our enemy during a national holiday. I see it as giving aid and comfort to the enemy.

I'll have to add my name to those who aren't part of your "we".  How ridiculous and evidently ignorant. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +677/-1
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 04:01:03 PM »
I am an atheist but I don't think of all religious people as "the enemy". And even if I did, why would I care how private businesses recognize or promote different holidays? If I don't like halal turkey, I don't have to buy one. Of course, there is not really such a thing as a blessed vs unblessed turkey. Turkey is either clean and healthy to eat or it isn't. Prayers have nothing to do with it.

....Now, the separation of religion and government is definitely a legitimate goal to fight for. I am more irritated by Obama having to publicly mention god all the time than I am by the idea of someone in a factory praying over a turkey. &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »
Quote from: nogodsforme
Should we be rooting them out of our communities, perhaps making them wear a certain color star on their clothes to identify them? You can't be too safe, you know...

SPAJ.
The fact that you have a tendency to dismiss harsh criticism as "self-projection-as-joe" is a disturbing form of ad hominem, as you are ignoring what they actually say and instead declare that they are projecting.

I didn't ignore what they said, I read it, did you? I never suggested or even implied that we should be rooting them out of our communities, or making them wear a certain color star on their clothes to identify them. And if they didn't get the idea from me, where did it come from? That is self-projection.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +441/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2011, 11:15:07 AM »
I didn't ignore what they said, I read it, did you? I never suggested or even implied that we should be rooting them out of our communities, or making them wear a certain color star on their clothes to identify them. And if they didn't get the idea from me, where did it come from? That is self-projection.
Did I say you had ignored what he and others have said?  I said you dismissed it, which is not the same thing.

By the way, that is not self-projection, that's hyperbole - exaggerating for effect.  It is quite apparent to me that nogodsforme was exaggerating for rhetorical effect, rather than seriously suggesting that you were truly advocating those things.  That is why I criticized your accusation of "SPAJ", because you're using that as an excuse to ignore the point he was really making.
Worldviews:  Everyone has one, everyone believes them to be an accurate view of the world, and everyone ends up at least partially wrong.  However, some worldviews are stronger and well-supported, while others are so bizarre that they make no sense to anyone else.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2011, 11:43:53 AM »
It shouldn't need repeating but it does:

The Butterball Turkeys that were done all halal were for EXPORT.

Thinking logically, if you were making a halal product to sell in the US you would be doing it so you would increase your sales among the Moslem minority.  Adding a feature to a product logically does nothing for the sales unless the potential customers know about it. Look at kosher products in the stores.  They are labeled kosher and the rabbi who certified it is named.  So logically the FUD that Butterball had gone to the expense of halal slaughtering of all its turkeys and was keeping it hush-hush could only be if the Moslems were trying to trick the Christians customers into absorbing Islam in some way.  This is what is known as a CONSPIRACY THEORY.

Loose free association is just one early step in the process of logic.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +116/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2011, 07:06:13 PM »
You mean I didn't eat a halal turkey!?!?!     THANK GOD!

chuckles
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline used to believe

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2011, 07:40:45 PM »
Theres always that one Out

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2011, 07:52:41 PM »
I have a question. If you're eating a "blessed" turkey in a christian home and then you cut off the turkey's butt and stick your tongue to it and lick it, Have you just committed a horrible sin of necro-beastial-sodomy with a haft twist of heresy?? 
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !