Author Topic: Where else but in christianity could you find such nonsense?  (Read 488 times)

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
Where else but in christianity could you find such nonsense?
« on: November 20, 2011, 11:25:05 AM »
From "Not Always Right" Website..

What Possessed You To Do That
Bookstore | North Shore, MA, USA | Bizarre, Bookstore, Religion

(This happens while I am working at a Christian book store that also sells other “Christian” items. This particular incident involves a customer’s dissatisfaction with a child’s toy called the “Armor of God”, which includes a sword, a shield, and armor.)

Me: “Hello, thank you for calling [store]. How may I help you today?”

Caller: “Hello, I would like a refund for a toy I bought my son last week called the ‘Armor of God’.”

Me: “I can help you with that. Can I please have the order number?”

Caller: “Yes, the order number is ########.”

Me: “Now, was the item defective or damaged in any way, or are you simply dissatisfied with the product?”

Caller: “The toy is possessed.”

Me: “I’m sorry?”

Caller: “The moment my son put on the armor he started screaming and running around attacking everything with the sword. The toy is possessed and I want a full refund. Frankly I’m shocked that a store advertising Christian products would sell something like this!”

Me: “Okay, well, if you box up the items, I can send you a return shipping label. When the toy arrives at our warehouse you will receive a full refund.”

Caller: “You want it back?”

Me: “Yes, ma’am. I can’t give you a refund unless the item is returned.”

Caller: “I’m afraid that’s impossible.”

Me: “Has the toy been damaged in some way?”

Caller: “No, I buried it.”

Me: “What?”

Caller: “It was possessed by a demon, so I buried it.”

Me: “Well, I’m sorry, ma’am, but if that’s the case, I’m afraid I cannot give you a refund.”

Caller: “Why not?”

Me: “Well, you buried the toy in the ground. You’re refusing to return it and the toy is ruined anyway. Per company policy, I cannot give you a refund.”

Caller: “Are you serious? First, you sell me a possessed toy, putting my family in danger, and now you refuse to give me my money back? I demand to speak to your manager!”

Me: “Certainly, ma’am, but first have you considered that possibly the toy isn’t possessed and that your son was just play fighting?”

Caller: “How dare you! Do you think I don’t know the difference? Do you think I’m lying? My son has never acted this way before. The toy is possessed and I am owed a refund. I demand to speak to your manager! I have never been so insulted!”

Me: “Let me place you on hold while I transfer you to my supervisor…”
1 Thumbs Up (1,149 Thumbs Up!)
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
Re: Where else but in christianity could you find such nonsense?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 12:46:13 PM »
Is there a word for a mixed feeling of amusement and horrifying shame?  :blank:
The Second C

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Praise Ba'al really hard!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 01:49:50 PM »
If I had a nickel for every 'satanic' toy I couldn't play with when I was a kid, I would have owned all the Lego sets.

Well, except for the pirate ones.  That would have been supporting pirates, and thus glorifying murder.

Incredulity almost fits it, but I feel like there's a word that's even closer.
.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
##### OF BA'AL!!!!!! #####
####################

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
If I had a nickel for every 'satanic' toy I couldn't play with when I was a kid, I would have owned all the Lego sets.

Well, except for the pirate ones.  That would have been supporting pirates, and thus glorifying murder.

Obviously you were not acquainted with the Flying Spaghetti Monster as a child  ;)
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline freefromjesus

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 11:18:56 PM »
I wonder if Sarah Palin knows her call was transcribed here?

Offline Illuminatus99

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 01:17:03 AM »
I'm glad my parents weren't like that. My mom did get concerned for a bit about D&D though. I invited to to watch a game so she could see what it was really about. She no longer thought there was anything evil about it but she was worried about ever getting grandkids.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 01:21:28 AM »
I'm glad my parents weren't like that. My mom did get concerned for a bit about D&D though. I invited to to watch a game so she could see what it was really about. She no longer thought there was anything evil about it but she was worried about ever getting grandkids.

My grandmother just asked me "Is your friend in a cult?". After I said no she let it drop and never voiced a concern again.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 02:19:55 AM »
The OP would actually make a pretty good intro to 'The kids who wanna play with the dead' by Lordi. :)
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Aceluffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 01:50:43 PM »
LMAO  ;D ;D

This reminds me back in the day when I own & run my own game shop.
I sold an action figure, it was the main villain ( Forgot the name ) from the Spawn series by McFarlane Toys. The conversation went like this:

Crazy Old Lady (COL): Good afternoon, I would like to return this toy & I want my money back

Me: Good afternoon ma'am, do you have the receipt ?

COL: No, my son threw it away

Me: I'm sorry ma'am, but our store policy states that in order for you to be entitled for a refund, you must have a receipt with your returned merchandise & the merchandise has to be in an acceptable condition. May I ask why you decided to return it ?

COL: Jesus doesn't like us owning that demonic toy, it was very horrible, I don't know why you people can sell those demonic toys.

Me: Ma'am, with all due respect, this is just a toy.

COL: I know that, but my pastor said that this can be considered as false idol, especially for teens

Me: I'm sorry you feel that way ma'am. Is there anything else I can do for you ?

COL: Yes, I want my money back & here's your demonic toy ( She put in on my cashier desk with one arm dangling off & of course it's already been opened )

Me: Again, I'm sorry but I can't comply with your request ma'am. As stated in our store policy....

COL: I demand to speak with your manager or your boss !!

Me: I'm the owner, ma'am

COL: Well, what kind of business are you running here ? Selling demonic toys to kids & refusing to refund when you have a dissatisfied customer ? I'm never coming back here again !!
( She proceeds by walking out & cursing at me with almost everyone at the store staring at her )

She left the toy there & I saved that toy for years just in case her son decided to come back & claimed it :)

If we were made in His image, then why aren't humans invisible too?

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 04:22:18 AM »

If there is, I'm sure it's in German.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 06:47:29 AM »

If there is, I'm sure it's in German.

Trappenwitz ... when you've been insulted and you think of a funny and scathing retort ... half an hour after the conversation ended (sort of fits the bill ;) )
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »
[pedant]

It's treppenwitz, literally stairs-wit i.e. when you're on the way out of the building and it's too late.

The French equivalent often used by English speakers is similarly constructed, l'esprit de l'escalier.

[/offpedant]