Author Topic: Most True Christians Are Sadists  (Read 36373 times)

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
Re: Most True Christians Are Sadists
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
@Alzael

You think you are right. I think I am right. Let's just agree that we disagree on something. It's over and done with. Let it go, man.

No, it isn't that we each think that you're right. It's that I am telling the truth and you are obviously lying.

You said that there was no evidence presented as to why you were sent to the ER. Or that you don't know why.

I just pointed out several points where it had not only been explained in geat detail. But that directly showed where people had proved their points about your behaviour.

I think I'm right, you think you're right only works when neither side has obvious evidence to back up what they say. This isn't that. This is you being a duplicitious lying shit and trying to portray yourself as having been the victim.

Oh, and as for it being over and done with, you're the one who brought up the claim. I didn't mention it. You're only saying it's over and done with now because the lie didn't work out for you.

God did not say that He regretted causing the flood....nor did He drown ALL of creation. He removed the evil which had almost completely destroyed all of mankind and preserved the only living humans who still recognized Him as the one and only God. Satan's grand plan to obliterate any chance of the promised Messiah was brought to an end. While it may seem harsh to you, the consequences of it not occurring would have been a fatal blow to God's plan to save any of us.   

Yeah, BS.

He saved the only non-evil people. Who then proceeded to go ahead and do exactly what pissed him off in the first place. Clearly god is a master planner. It was a whole day or two before Noah's son got cursed for doing something wrong.

And I'm sure the babies of course we're so intensely evil that they had to be drowned as well. Not to mention that an all-powerful god had no choice but to kill everybody. Clearly an omnipotent being just had to do it that way. Not to mention that gods plan to "save" us involves saving us from the punishment that he himself inflicted upon us.

Ugh. You are such a vile excuse for a human being.

It's truly disgusting that you so easily justify things like genocide and child slaughter.

I'd ask the usual question of whether or not you kill your own children if god ordered you to, but we both know the answer to that already. You would not only kill them, you would happily bathe in their blood and dance the can-can in a frilly pink tutu all the while declaring how great and merciful your god is.

I feel like I need a shower just talking to you.

Yes, that pretty much sums it up. I trust that everything God has commanded or allowed was for the preservation and betterment of the human race over the entire course of time. He is the Creator, not just some politician in the sky trying to show off.

However you only think this because god told you so.

So basically because god tells you that it's for a greater good, it's ok for him to do things that even the most depraved and immoral humans in history would consider evil. All because he has told you to trust him and you decide to do so, even though there's really no apparent reason why you should do so. In fact there's every reason that you shouldn't since by nearly every standard of morals that humans have your god is a monster. Including your own standards. You simply give him a pass because you "trust" that he does these terrible things for a good reason. Wonderful.

You see, BS, this is why you are the worst example of humanity possible. People like Hitler or Pol Pot or Stalin may have killed millions in horrible ways, but at least they had some sense of right or wrong and  some sense of morals. At least they thought they were doing something good, however deluded and wrong they were.

You however, you simply don't care. You show no concern or caring for the suffering and agonies that others experience nor any consequences. Or what may happen to others. All you ever show concern for is the will of your god.

This is why everyone was so horrified with you when you declared that if you were in Nazi germany and hiding a family of Jews that you would turn them over to the Nazis if asked because your god tells you not to lie. Because your own selfish and narcisistic beliefs (that you don't even know for sure are real) take precedence over the butchering and torture of innocent people. You have not once in all the time I've read your tripe shown any concern for any other human being beyond how it applied to you and your beliefs.

You don't care if what you are doing is right or wrong, you don't care who suffers, you don't care if the being you serve is evil or good, or even exists. All that matters to you is your beliefs and what you think you are being told by your god. You don't even care if what you think your god is telling you is true. Because your belief is simply based on trusting it's word.

You are completely and utterly without anything that could even remotely be called morals. You're a robot that obeys. Nothing more. Even animals are capable of demonstrating more empathy than you. You are as far removed from a human being as can be possible.

And you thoroughly disgust.

Do you see the hypocrisy? Do you realize you may be just as deceived as you accuse me of being? You claim to use ‘logic’ and ‘rationalization’ as your guide but you cannot validate their trustworthiness anymore than I can validate the Bible. How do you know that ‘logic’ leads to truth?

There's no hypocrisy at all. The computer that you are using is proof that our methodolgy works. The vaccines that you take, the tv you watch, the food that you eat, the weatherman on the radio that you listened to while you went to work. Nearly everything in our modern lives shows that our methodlogy works. I can look around the room that I am in right now and point to fifty things that show that my methodolgy works, because these things came about as a direct reslut of using that methodology.

Can you do the same with yours? If not then the hypocrisy is yours.

The real kicker is, I don't have to ask you to accept anything to prove it to you. I don't need to use mystical words, or ask you to accept ideas on faith on anything. You can believe whatever you want and I can still prove that my method works much better than yours. Because the accomplishments of my method are available for all to see. Even if you don't believe that logic and rationality are the be all and end all, I can still prove that they work without question by the very fact that you use them everyday and everywhere to live. My proof exists and can be shown even if you don't believe in the methodology or don't want to believe the methodology, the proof is still there for all to see. Which is how evidence should be.

You can't say the same about your methodolgy can you?

"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2011, 05:51:38 PM »
Wow.  Really?

Let me be very clear here: He is under no obligation to save you.  He is under NO obligation to show you mercy.  He WILL, if you but ask him, but your demanding it of Him like a petulant child will get you nowhere.  I mean, how could you even think He has some sort of obligation to you?  Remember, we're assuming the whole biblical narrative is true.  How in the world do you get from "I've sinned against an infinitely holy Creator" to "He really ought to save me because I know better than He does about what's best."  Have you even read the Bible?  I mean, that's the whole point of Romans 9: You're a sinner.  You've sinned.  You don't get to demand things of God.  You just don't.  Have you really truly and honestly examined your own life, that you could honestly think a perfect and holy God is required to capitulate to your dands?  Seriously?  The arrogance of such a claim is stunning...

If a being that is benevolent, good, and loving doesn't have to show mercy, then the words cease to have any meaning don't they?

I could be the most moral person in the world if I only had to do live up to them when I felt like it.

Math, this exactly when those things should come into play. It's when someone has sinned and done wrong that you should be the most loving and merciful. That's where morality really comes into play. It's easy to say "don't steal when" you're rich. It's when you're poor and starving that it becomes a true moral decision.

If god is loving then the sinners are the ones he should love the most. They should be welcomed, not rejected, because he loves and no one needs that love more. That's the true test of love and morality.

You are admitting that your god only shows love and goodness when he feels it's deserved him. This is the exact opposite of a loving or good being. It is the sign of a narcisistic and tyrannical one.

yeah amazingly, not so amazingly, dude ignored my post too.   tsk

Don't take it so hard. It's how he rolls.

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.

Offline MathIsCool

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-6
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2011, 06:22:08 PM »
Alzael, fishjie, Velkyn:

Do any of you understand that, according to the Biblical narrative which we've assumed to be true for the sake of discussion, you sinned against God?  Do you thus understand that He owes you no mercy, only justice?  Do you understand that the just punishment for sinning against an infinite God is an infinite Hell? 

I mean, you're talking about the fact that sinners are sent to Hell as a terrible state that God really ought do something about.  According to the Bible (which you've assumed true to show how mean He is) sinners get sent to Hell because they deserve it.  You ought be perfect, and yet are not.  You are mercifully offered chance after chance after chance after chance to turn, and will have none of it.  After the umpteenth time you spit in his face, (and look at all the threads on this very forum to see examples of just that) do you really think God still owes you His mercy?  How can "mercy" be something anyone owes you, anyway?

I'm flabbergasted.
Why not name the website ... "whywontGodallowlaserstoshootoutofmyeyespewpewpew.com"

- Expurgate, here

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +625/-67
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2011, 06:26:30 PM »
<snip>sinners get sent to Hell because they deserve it.

Nobody deserves infinite punishment for finite crimes. The mere fact that you seem to think otherwise proves how warped your sense of right and wrong is.

You ought be perfect, and yet are not.

So only christians are perfect? Wow. Well, we'd better start calling Hitler a saint. All he did was getting rid of "sinners" who "get sent to Hell because they deserve it". Not to mention that all those christian states and nations slaughtering each other are also perfect. We should all start killing each other.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline fishjie

• Graduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2011, 06:26:46 PM »
Alzael, fishjie, Velkyn:

Do any of you understand that, according to the Biblical narrative which we've assumed to be true for the sake of discussion, you sinned against God?  Do you thus understand that He owes you no mercy, only justice?  Do you understand that the just punishment for sinning against an infinite God is an infinite Hell? 

I mean, you're talking about the fact that sinners are sent to Hell as a terrible state that God really ought do something about.  According to the Bible (which you've assumed true to show how mean He is) sinners get sent to Hell because they deserve it.  You ought be perfect, and yet are not.  You are mercifully offered chance after chance after chance after chance to turn, and will have none of it.  After the umpteenth time you spit in his face, (and look at all the threads on this very forum to see examples of just that) do you really think God still owes you His mercy?  How can "mercy" be something anyone owes you, anyway?

I'm flabbergasted.

same diatribe that completely ignores my post.    don't worry i don't take it personally, i've been debating with christians for so long i expect this behavior.

According to the bible, it is all God's fault.

who created satan?   who put the serpent into the garden with adam and eve?    who then decided not to send jesus until centuries later, allowing billions of people to burn in hell with no recourse?   who then finally sent jesus, but decided to only visit the middle east, allowing billions of people to burn in hell with no recourse while the missionaries took their sweet time to spread the word?   

if an omnipotent and omniscient creator makes a flawed product, and then punishes it for being flawed, only the creator is at fault.  free will does not exist in this scenario, because omnipotence and omniscience make that impossible.    if i programmed a piece of software that has a bug in it, i cannot be angry if the software is buggy.   I made it that way.   

in conclusion - lol at ur rant

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2011, 06:35:33 PM »
Alzael, fishjie, Velkyn:

I'm flabbergasted.

You ignore the issue, however. Why should this matter to a loving and good being?

I assume that you love your wife/children or whatever it is that you have.

Is there anything that they could do that would ever make you want to stuff them into hell? Is there anything any human could do that would make you want to punish them eternally?

You fail to respond to my point (big surprise). What does that mean to a being that is supposed to be good and loving? How can he truly be these things if they are conditional?

If he were truly good and loving he would show it, not when he wanted to, but all the time. It should not matter that a person is a sinner. They are the ones he should be the most merciful too.

I'm flabbergasted at you, that your idea of morality is so weak. Especially since you think that morals are objective. Why is it ok to only be good and merciful some of the time.

Again, shouldn't the sinners be the ones he loves the most? Not the least.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2011, 06:44:54 PM »
Am I the only not one surprised that Math's idea of good is apparently "be good.......whenever it's convenient for you".

This rather neatly shoots to hell his repeated claims of objective morality. Not that he had much to sustain them in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:27:53 PM by Alzael »

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +625/-67
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2011, 06:47:07 PM »
Am I the only one surprised that Math's idea of good is apparently "be good.......whenever it's convenient for you".

Yup. I've seen very few theists who are genuinely selfless (or at least as selfless as possible).
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline MathIsCool

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-6
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2011, 06:57:41 PM »
You ignore the issue, however. Why should this matter to a loving and good being?

Why shouldn't it?  He's also Just and Holy.  He's not the bland milksop you seem to be envisioning.  (Again, according to the Bible that you've assumed to be true to show how God is a big jerk.)
Why not name the website ... "whywontGodallowlaserstoshootoutofmyeyespewpewpew.com"

- Expurgate, here

Offline fishjie

• Graduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2011, 07:11:20 PM »
I don't think anyone whose read the OT thinks he's a bland milksop.   He's genocided the entire human race once, including the land dwelling animals, ordered genocide on a bunch of enemy tribes, killed a bunch of babies on top of that, and a bunch of other stuff that pretty much everyone here already knows about.

And he blames his creation instead of himself, punishing everyone to eternity in torment when they do not accept his son as lord and savior, despite providing no evidence/reason to accept jesus, when he could have made us not flawed to begin with or shown evidence that said stories in the bible are not fairy tales.   HMMMMMMMMMM....

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2011, 07:26:57 PM »

Why shouldn't it?  He's also Just and Holy.  He's not the bland milksop you seem to be envisioning.  (Again, according to the Bible that you've assumed to be true to show how God is a big jerk.)

He's not Just though. The bible defines justice by gods actions, it treats his actions as just no matter what they are, so saying god is just has no meaning. He could skull-fuck the corpses of children and it would still be just by the bibles standards.

More to the point, what do Just and Holy have to do with it? How is being good and loving also unjust? How is it not being holy (what is holy anyways, if it isn't good or merciful? define your terms, Math)? You still haven't responded to any of the questions I asked,Math. Would you do this to your own children or to the people that you love?

Where is the justice in what you are proposing? Why is Justice (if it even is justice) more important than love, mercy, and goodness? Why is condemning people to hell the only just action that an omnipotent being can take?

Why do you always fail to answer questions, Math? (Well we all know why)

The point still stands Math. By your own admission your god cannot be a loving or good entity (just maybe, depending on how you define it and maybe Holy if you ever get around to defining it), because he only shows those qualities when people are obedient to his word. A moral that only applies when you find it convenient is not a moral.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:30:46 PM by Alzael »

Offline BibleStudent

• Fellow
  • Darwins +43/-164
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2011, 08:15:16 PM »
No, it isn't that we each think that you're right. It's that I am telling the truth and you are obviously lying.

You said that there was no evidence presented as to why you were sent to the ER. Or that you don't know why.

I just pointed out several points where it had not only been explained in geat detail. But that directly showed where people had proved their points about your behaviour.

Wrong again. Those so-called 'points' or 'evidence' show ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of the sort. I wonder if you've even read them and/or can even understand them. I marvel at how you continue to blabber such slop and embarrass yourself. You, sir, rank as the biggest imbecile I have encountered on this board or any other....and that's a fact.

Offline BibleStudent

• Fellow
  • Darwins +43/-164
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2011, 08:22:54 PM »
You know, I sit here and wonder why any of what is being discussed matters anyway. In the non-theist belief system, this world is going to burn up someday and this all amounts to a bunch of nonsensical rantings and ravings. Seriously, what is the non-theist's motivation for challenging any belief system...whether it's Christian, Islam, Buudha, Wicca, etc etc?   

Offline Babdah

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • “We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2011, 08:28:33 PM »
You know, I sit here and wonder why any of what is being discussed matters anyway. In the non-theist belief system, this world is going to burn up someday and this all amounts to a bunch of nonsensical rantings and ravings. Seriously, what is the non-theist's motivation for challenging any belief system...whether it's Christian, Islam, Buudha, Wicca, etc etc?   

Why not is it ok for theist to push their beliefs into our face but it is not ok for us to do the same.
“We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered, afraid of its own forces, in search not merely of its road but even of its direction

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +72/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2011, 08:42:43 PM »
Seriously, what is the non-theist's motivation for challenging any belief system...whether it's Christian, Islam, Buudha, Wicca, etc etc?   

This is a novice question. It's on par with a theist asking, at post #500, "Do people on this forum not believe in a god or gods?".

It is really out of place.....have you been drinking? Because, I bet on a good (sober?) day you could write my answer for me.

Please assure me that you have this base, entirely accessible, understanding of "non theist motivation for challenging [belief systems]".
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2011, 08:43:12 PM »
Wrong again. Those so-called 'points' or 'evidence' show ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of the sort. I wonder if you've even read them and/or can even understand them. I marvel at how you continue to blabber such slop and embarrass yourself. You, sir, rank as the biggest imbecile I have encountered on this board or any other....and that's a fact.

Then feel free to prove such a thing. You have a perfect chance to demonstrate my ignorance for all here (atheist and theist alike) to see. You could have done it right now in this post. I provided evidence, if your current claim is true then you could tear it apart easily enough, go ahead. Surely you can do more than make broad ad hominems? Right?

Oh wait......

While we're on the subject, I note that you didn't respond to any actual point that I made, and I made quite a few of them. THAT as I already pointed out with the post you seem to find so derisive was one of the main reasons for your ER visit and general receiving of mockery and admonishment from everyone. So this post that you just made goes further towards proving the evidence of what I posted. It shows the clear pattern of behaviour I claimed existed.

Need I remind you that dodging arguments and stonewalling is against the rules of this forum. Which you, of course, are well aware of. Yet it is what you are doing. So how does my evidence prove "nothing of the sort" when you have just outright engaged in the same behaviour I was showing you engage in?

But,as I said. Feel free to prove me wrong (as opposed to just asserting it). You have a perfect opportunity to expose me as what you say I am. Go ahead.

Edit:I mean if you weren't able to prove me wrong that would mean that you just lied. You certainly wouldn't do that. You would rather turn a Jewish family over to a Nazi deathsquad then tell a lie, remember. So surely you wouldn't lie now for the sake of your own ego.....right?

You, sir, rank as the biggest imbecile I have encountered on this board or any other....and that's a fact.

Then you should have no difficulties at all backing this up......with facts.

Because I have to live in a world that is constantly being polluted by beliefs like yours. People such as you are ruining the world that I have to live in and that my little brothers and sisters are going to have to grow up in.

Isn't that reason enough?

Edit: Anyone else notice how BS just instantly took off after that post?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:10:17 PM by Alzael »

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-11
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2011, 08:52:06 PM »
It's people like BS who are clearly trying to keep the primitive tradition of religion alive for some reason in a day of science, reason, and logical understandings and conclusions for our natural world and universe.  Yet again, for whatever reason, he persists on trying to tell his tall tales of his bible as if it were truth on an obvious forum of people who have just finally figured out our world as well as the reasons behind the games people like bs play.

P.S. BS - Perfect initials for your name.  Are you proud of trying to be a snake-oil salesman in the 20th centrury?  Is this what you plan on trying to make a living on, religions snake oil salesman?  I understand that people have to lie for there own motivation and survival but seriously... It's pathetic and even more pathetic on this type of forum and why you whine and feel defeated...?  Can't sell your snake oil here and it's here you'll learn all the tricks of the snake-oil trade game; but you know that, it's why you're here!  ;)

Oh, and there is no such thing as an afterlife, logic and physics says this is impossible; sorry, just trying to be honest with you...  :-\  I think you know this too, but you can't sell snake-oil unless you believe in your product right; and that's being dishonest, even if it's unknowingly.  You've been convinced by the all the previous generations knowing or unkowning otherwise and here you are today, convinced in your own BS BS.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:13:09 PM by DVZ3 »
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2011, 08:56:29 PM »
Oh yes, in case you do come back at some point, BS. Why don't you make an effort to actually respond to some of Jamie's rather good points.

If they don't scare you that much.

Offline fishjie

• Graduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2011, 09:04:58 PM »
Maybe BibleStudent is a troll.

I mean is it really a coincidence his initials are BS?

As in, the christian belief system is BS and completely without logical or rational or empirical basis?

I mean cmon now.   

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2011, 09:07:48 PM »
Maybe BibleStudent is a troll.

I mean is it really a coincidence his initials are BS?

As in, the christian belief system is BS and completely without logical or rational or empirical basis?

I mean cmon now.   

Oh no. He's quite real. Either that or he's the most committed troll in the history of the internet.

Go through his 800+ posting history. He's depressingly genuine.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2011, 09:20:44 PM »
POST #1500                   POST #1500                   POST #1500 
Seriously, what is the non-theist's motivation for challenging any belief system...whether it's Christian, Islam, Buudha, Wicca, etc etc?   

Well there's Voltaire's answer which is usually paraphrase: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
                                             POST #1500                   POST #1500                   POST #1500
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:27:53 PM by Historicity »

Offline BibleStudent

• Fellow
  • Darwins +43/-164
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2011, 09:58:49 PM »

This is a novice question. It's on par with a theist asking, at post #500, "Do people on this forum not believe in a god or gods?".

It is really out of place.....have you been drinking? Because, I bet on a good (sober?) day you could write my answer for me.

Please assure me that you have this base, entirely accessible, understanding of "non theist motivation for challenging [belief systems]".

I really don't....BUT....perhaps it's because I've never been an unbeliever subjected to some of the judgmental words and actions you encounter. Even so, what's the point of trying to promote anything that advances human existence when it faces imminent extinction anyway? You may change the course of human history but what value is that history when it doesn't exist anymore.
Seriously, what do my beliefs do to you personally that hinders you from being able to fulfill goals and dreams and plans that you may have?

While we're on the subject, I note that you didn't respond to any actual point that I made, and I made quite a few of them.

This is part of the problem. You don't make points and even when I think you try, it is incoherent. You ramble and jump from one topic to another and will occasionally ask a rhetorical question or one that has already been addressed. You spend time looking through everyone's post in an efforts to find something that you feel was ignored through negligence and then hound on the person you are writing to. What you seem to focus the majority of your efforts on is making insults and accusations. It is very clear that your primary motivation for engaging in these conversations is to try and show off or something. You might want to observe how the true intellects in these forums rarely, if ever, attempt to mask their knowledge by beating down their opponent with adolescent remarks. Then, when you've made those observations, do some self reflection and admit that you are carrying on like a child.

Edit: Anyone else notice how BS just instantly took off after that post?
This is what I'm talking about. So much of what you say is childish. What is the purpose of this? Is it possible that perhaps I am involved in something else and that is why I departed? Is what I do with my time any of your business?

I beg you to kindly bow out of conversations with me. Talking to you is like trying to watch TV through a substantial haze of static. I know you're there and I know you are trying to say something but I just can't quite tune you in.   
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:01:28 PM by BibleStudent »

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +266/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »

If it is a fact, the it is objectively verifiable. It isn't, so it isn't a fact. In case you are wondering, what I stated IS a fact. What you stated was an opinion.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline BibleStudent

• Fellow
  • Darwins +43/-164
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2011, 10:04:10 PM »

If it is a fact, the it is objectively verifiable. It isn't, so it isn't a fact. In case you are wondering, what I stated IS a fact. What you stated was an opinion.

LOL....If you felt the brain pain I feel, you'd consider it verified as fact.

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1134/-27
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2011, 10:12:01 PM »
The fact that you got a headache from something doesn't prove anything except that you got a headache.  It certainly doesn't prove the point you're trying to contend.

For that matter, ignoring someone's post simply because it's long also doesn't go very far to proving other points you might want to make.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2011, 10:16:05 PM »
...what is the non-theist's motivation for challenging any belief system...whether it's Christian, Islam, Buudha, Wicca, etc etc?   

Religious persons all over the world attempt to control what others do. They try to limit our freedoms, they insist theirs is the only way. If we're not to be taken over by [insert favorite religion here]'s rules, we must keep talking. What's the phrase about evil? That all it takes is for good men to do nothing? I find fundamentalist religion to be evil. It's requirement that everyone march to their drum is evil. We are different. Difference is ok. People who want to do away with everyone who disagrees with them, change all the rules to their own, and limit our options, must be challenged. And so we do.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline BibleStudent

• Fellow
  • Darwins +43/-164
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2011, 10:19:49 PM »
The fact that you got a headache from something doesn't prove anything except that you got a headache.  It certainly doesn't prove the point you're trying to contend.
It was a joke. But thank you just the same for clarifying what constitutes a "fact."

For that matter, ignoring someone's post simply because it's long also doesn't go very far to proving other points you might want to make.

I made my point, you made yours. What else is there to say? If you have something in particular you would like me to comment on, just let me know. I did read your post and did not infer that you were seeking a response.

Offline BibleStudent

• Fellow
  • Darwins +43/-164
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2011, 10:22:23 PM »
...what is the non-theist's motivation for challenging any belief system...whether it's Christian, Islam, Buudha, Wicca, etc etc?   

Religious persons all over the world attempt to control what others do. They try to limit our freedoms, they insist theirs is the only way. If we're not to be taken over by [insert favorite religion here]'s rules, we must keep talking. What's the phrase about evil? That all it takes is for good men to do nothing? I find fundamentalist religion to be evil. It's requirement that everyone march to their drum is evil. We are different. Difference is ok. People who want to do away with everyone who disagrees with them, change all the rules to their own, and limit our options, must be challenged. And so we do.

Okay. Fair enough. Can you give me an example demonstrating how organized religion hinders your ability to live a fulfilling life?

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +212/-1
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2011, 10:23:38 PM »
For my own mind, it's mostly a curiosity as to how someone can hold so strongly to something that I see as so full of holes. I mean that honestly, and not trying to put you down or anything...It's just that over the course of almost 53 years of life, I've found that religious arguments make less and less sense, but believers never seem to be willing to actually sit down and dissect all the things that I find impossible to fathom. Of course, I think I'm right. If I thought I was wrong I'd be a theist. It's just the state that life has brought me to. I don't resent, hate, or look down on you, I just can't understand how it is that all those gaping holes just don't seem to register.