Author Topic: Will God accept you on your deathbed?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Will God accept you on your deathbed?
« on: November 15, 2011, 07:58:29 PM »
Of course,only your God knows for sure,but can you be accepted by him on your deathbed? Can you be a good person without Jesus all your life and accept him just before death,would that be OK with this God guy?

On the other hand can you be a religous nut and an asshole who has accepted Jesus,all the while being a prick,can God reject you because of your poor attitude?

Question is for believers obviously....but feel free
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Babdah

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • “We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered
Re: Will God accept you on your deathbed?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 08:06:27 PM »
blaspheming the holy spirit , it is the only "unforgivable" sin that Jesus mentions.  It is also described in three of the four gospels.The texts are Matthew 12:31-32, Mark 3:28-29 and Luke 12:10.
“We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered, afraid of its own forces, in search not merely of its road but even of its direction

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »
blaspheming the holy spirit , it is the only "unforgivable" sin that Jesus mentions.  It is also described in three of the four gospels.The texts are Matthew 12:31-32, Mark 3:28-29 and Luke 12:10.
As Rick Perry said, "OPPS".
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:29:50 PM »
I'd say the answer to both questions is hell no.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 11:01:47 PM »
No: Your retarded, useless, make-believe 'god' is a delusion. 

It doesn't EXIST to 'accept' a deathbed conversion.

Offline freefromjesus

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 11:16:46 PM »
Having been a former xian, I'll put in my .02 from my old church's (Souther Baptist) POV.

They always referred to the Calvary scene where the Thief accepts Christ on the cross, thus the answer would be yes, He will. As to the 2nd question, hey, as long as you believed in Jeebus and said the sinner's prayer, it didn't matter how big a prick you were. Once saved always saved. Fire Insurance.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 12:12:42 AM »
I'd say the answer to both questions is hell no.
because God and Jesus are fictional or ????
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 01:32:38 AM »
Of course,only your God knows for sure,but can you be accepted by him on your deathbed? Can you be a good person without Jesus all your life and accept him just before death,would that be OK with this God guy?

On the other hand can you be a religous nut and an asshole who has accepted Jesus,all the while being a prick,can God reject you because of your poor attitude?

There are plenty of parents whose children have done awful things, yet the parents still love their children.
The concept of a kind, loving God, who not only judges his children, but condemns them to eternal suffering for the most ludicrous supposed wrongs, whilst forgiving the worst mass killers who kiss God's ass at the last moment is truly laughable. Beyond laughable, this is supposedly the basis of our "morality"!
When are Atheists going to wake up, and look at the psychology behind religion, instead of being drawn into the  never ending debates, repeated a zillion times, on the biblical faery tales presented to gullible morons.
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 06:13:13 PM »

There are plenty of parents whose children have done awful things, yet the parents still love their children.
The concept of a kind, loving God, who not only judges his children, but condemns them to eternal suffering for the most ludicrous supposed wrongs, whilst forgiving the worst mass killers who kiss God's ass at the last moment is truly laughable. Beyond laughable, this is supposedly the basis of our "morality"!
When are Atheists going to wake up, and look at the psychology behind religion, instead of being drawn into the  never ending debates, repeated a zillion times, on the biblical faery tales presented to gullible morons.
You and I know this......It is truly a retarded concept theists have come up with

Offline MathIsCool

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-6
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 08:18:47 PM »
Yes.  Look up the parable of the workers in the field.  Salvation is the mercy of God, not the righteousness of you.

If you were a religious nut and an a$$ who had accepted Jesus, over time I'd expect you to become less of a religious nut and an a$$.  If you didn't, I'd question whether you accepted Christ the way you said you did.
So if you accept Jesus and are still a prick the rest of your life, at the end of your life you'll probably find God is indeed rejecting you because of your "poor attitude", and you hadn't in fact accepted Jesus the way you thought you did.
Why not name the website ... "whywontGodallowlaserstoshootoutofmyeyespewpewpew.com"

- Expurgate, here

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 09:12:02 PM »
If you were a religious nut and an a$$ who had accepted Jesus, over time I'd expect you to become less of a religious nut and an a$$.  If you didn't, I'd question whether you accepted Christ the way you said you did.
So if you accept Jesus and are still a prick the rest of your life, at the end of your life you'll probably find God is indeed rejecting you because of your "poor attitude", and you hadn't in fact accepted Jesus the way you thought you did.

So I am guessing the folks who issue death threats to non-Christians per their religious ideals and the folks over at Westboro Baptist Church who take the Bible as the literal word of God are going to hell? Point is, you can be both a prick AND a "true believer", whatever that is.
The Second C

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-1
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 10:16:42 PM »

This also brings up the "once saved, always saved" question.

There are those people who accept Jesus when they hit rock bottom and feel completely hopeless. Under those circumstances, I'd imagine most of them are completely sincere, and go on to feel that their lives have been changed. Presumably, if they died at this time, they would be saved (all this is hypothetical, of course. The most logical answer to the whole thing is that this life is all we get).

But others, if things went on to where they no longer felt threatened, might backslide and slowly pick up their previous thoughts and habits. Are they no longer saved? Maybe they don't even realize how much they have reverted to their previous selves. As you say, maybe they "hadn't in fact accepted Jesus the way they thought they did"... Does this mean there are millions of moderate Christians out there living their lives in the comfort of believing that heaven awaits them who simply won't cut muster because while they had every confidence that they had accepted Jesus, they will still find themselves inexplicably damned? How can anyone know that their faith is strong enough?

If faith the size of a mustard seed is enough to move mountains, shouldn't it be enough to keep you from eternal torment?

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 12:44:12 AM »
12 Monkeys, would we get the opportunity to say NO if invited?  I mean, I'd rather not be a bad person but if it would spare me an eternity of having to bow before the goat-hearders' favorite god and sing his praises for ever and ever and ever, I might just consider how mean I'd have to be. 

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 11:58:52 AM »
I might convert on my deathbed...because I may be emotional and not in a good frame of mind to remain logical when I am dying. I will likely be, literally, frightened beyond the capacity to think clearly. If this happens, I will also be wrong, and it no more makes current theology correct, than if I had lived at 79A.D. in Pompeii it would mean those gods existed because I prayed to them when Mt Vesuivius erupted.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 01:29:08 PM »
IN that this doesn't happen with any regularity, getting JC and becoming nicer, what then?  This becomes just another no true scotsman argument. 

MiC, would you find it being a "prick" if someone had the secret to salvation and didn't share it with everyone?
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 01:54:04 PM »
...When are Atheists going to wake up, and look at the psychology behind religion, instead of being drawn into the  never ending debates, repeated a zillion times, on the biblical faery tales presented to gullible morons.

Please start a thread. I'm sure many of us, myself included, would happily participate. Most of the christians I know personally are moderates who don't believe in fundamentalist, bible-literalist, young earth creationism. I'd love to discuss it.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline MathIsCool

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-6
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 02:13:37 PM »
So I am guessing the folks who issue death threats to non-Christians per their religious ideals and the folks over at Westboro Baptist Church who take the Bible as the literal word of God are going to hell? Point is, you can be both a prick AND a "true believer", whatever that is.
If I had to guess, I'd agree with you on both counts.

IN that this doesn't happen with any regularity, getting JC and becoming nicer, what then?  This becomes just another no true scotsman argument. 
Just because people call themselves Christians doesn't mean they are, in fact, Christians.  You can call "No True Scotsmen" all you want, it doesn't change this underlying fact.

Let's say Bob hates bald eagles.  I mean, really hate them, he kills all the bald eagles he can find.  Bob calls himself a PETA member, despte the protests of real PETA member.  If I'm a person who doesn't like PETA, can I then apply the "No True Scotsmen" fallacy to demonstrate that PETA is a corrupt organization because a self-avowed member of PETA kills bald eagles?
Neither can you demonstrate the corruption of true Christianity by pointing at people who call themselves Christians.

MiC, would you find it being a "prick" if someone had the secret to salvation and didn't share it with everyone?
No, God is not a "prick" for not sharing the 'secret' of salvation to everyone.  It's hardly a secret, by the way - acknowledge the fact that Jesus Christ is Lord over all, believe in him as your one true salvation from the deserved wrath of God for your sins, and you will be saved.  There it is.  That's the "secret."  I bet that's probably the 278,534,709th time you've heard it, but the promise is still valid.  Come to Him, right now, as you are, and you will be saved.
God created us, we sinned, and we deserve Hell.  Every one of us.  The fact that God saves some (not all) of us from deserved wrath does not make Him "a prick", it makes him more kind, more merciful, more generous, more patient, and more good than the best person you can imagine.  As you get on your keyboard to bang out some semi-coherent raging response (if not you, then someone else on this forum) to try to defame his character yet again, He provides you with breath to fling words at Him, the mind to translate your insults to words, and the technology to form your words into bits and bytes and send them winging all this way to everyone on this forum, and if that is not enough, afterwards He still offers to save you through his Son.  Again and again He demonstrates his longsuffering, his patience, and his kindness, even to his enemies (like you.)  Why wouldn't you come to a God like Him?
Why not name the website ... "whywontGodallowlaserstoshootoutofmyeyespewpewpew.com"

- Expurgate, here

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 02:24:42 PM »
Let's say Bob hates bald eagles.  I mean, really hate them, he kills all the bald eagles he can find.  Bob calls himself a PETA member, despte the protests of real PETA member.  If I'm a person who doesn't like PETA, can I then apply the "No True Scotsmen" fallacy to demonstrate that PETA is a corrupt organization because a self-avowed member of PETA kills bald eagles?

There's a big difference between determining who's a PETA member and who's a Christian.  To be a PETA member, you have to donate a certain sum of money annually to one specific organization.  Thus, it is not a "No True Scotsman" fallacy.  Bob may call himself a PETA member all he wants, but if he hasn't given that donation to PETA, then he simply isn't one.

There is no analog to this situation with Christianity.  Far from it, in fact.  Look at how many different sects there are, most of them insisting that all the others are wrong.

I'll let others address the other unpleasantness in your post.  I'm not feeling up to it today.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 02:46:27 PM »
God created us, we sinned, and we deserve Hell.  Every one of us.

Wow. What a sad, self-pitying existence you must lead. I'm caught between feeling pity for you and wanting to throw a rock at you for being such a mewling and pathetic shell of a human being.

Oh, and go f**k yourself very much for actually thinking everybody on Earth deserves eternal torture. You are one sick puppy.

The fact that God saves some (not all) of us from deserved wrath does not make Him "a prick", it makes him more kind, more merciful, more generous, more patient, and more good than the best person you can imagine. 

BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA LMAO LOL LULZ ROFLCOPTERWITHCHEEZE  ;D ;D WTF are you TALKING about dude? Your god IS THE SAME GUY WHO DETERMINED THAT WE'RE WORTHY OF "WRATH"!!!!

So Charlie Manson's a big sweetie because he didn't decide to kill MORE people? Are you for real!?  :laugh:

Hitler is a super cuddly snugglebear that loves people big huggie bunches because some (not all) of Europe was deemed worthy of NOT BEING THROWN INTO AN OVEN?

"More good" than the best person I can imagine? The Yahweh character isn't even as "good" as the homeless junkie pedophile who hangs out by the dumpsters at the Circle K!!! I mean Ruby Red never EXTERMINATED ALL LIFE ON EARTH on a whim or sent freakin' BEARS to murder 48 kids, now did he? And he damn sure never tortured nobody for an eternity, let alone 95% of all Asians and East Indians who ever lived.

I'm sorry for all the lol'ing but seriously now... Do you realize this is the twisted logic you're trying to spin? There ain't a sane person on the planet outside your cult who's going to hear you say something like that and go "Oh, wow, that's so true!"

Holy s**t. Your brain is a pretzel man!

The fact that your big spooky space genie condemns *anybody* to an eternity of suffering, simply because it can't get over the fact that it fucked up the blueprints for it's defective prototypes 5,000 years ago or whatever, is some of the most petulant, immature, UNJUST bullshit you could ever regurgitate.

Has it really never occured to you that having unlimited punishment for limited "sin" is the very definition of unjust?

lol.. Your childish god can't even bring itself to forgive and forget, despite all the yammering you people do about forgiveness. It's STILL supposedly holding a grudge over some s**t your great-to-the-100th power grannie did, and it's willing to torture you FOREVER for it.

The character of Yahweh is a f**k-up and a prick, by any standard definition. Sorry champ. You worship Darth Vader. Or more appropriately, that wrinkled little emperor guy in the robe with the lightning fingers.

I seriously can't stop laughing over your "God's SO loving & swell because he doesn't torture EVERYBODY!" thing...  ;D To accurately refect the audio going on in my office, I'd have to cover this entire post in "hahahahaha"s... lulz.

As you get on your keyboard to bang out some semi-coherent raging response (if not you, then someone else on this forum)

Our raging responses are quite coherent, thanks!  :D

to try to defame his character yet again, He provides you with breath to fling words at Him, the mind to translate your insults to words, and the technology to form your words into bits and bytes and send them winging all this way to everyone on this forum, and if that is not enough, afterwards He still offers to save you through his Son.  Again and again He demonstrates his longsuffering, his patience, and his kindness, even to his enemies (like you.)  Why wouldn't you come to a God like Him?

Because you sound like a freaking lunatic man, and I'm not in the habit of following lunatics down the bunny trail of philosophy and Truth. "The breath to fling words"??? Who the hell talks like that? What planet are you from?

You talk like we're going through some great experience by pointing at a picture of bigfoot and going "bullshit". Being as you're indoctrinated and brainwashed and stuck insde your little cult world, you just seriously don't have a concept of how easily dismissed your god really is to anybody on the outside looking in.

You might as well be wearing a viking helmet and preaching about Odin. I mean come on. He gave you breath and a computer and will take you to Valhalla when you die where we will feast and drink forever. Why would you not come to a god like him?

I mean s**t, he's at least 500 times cooler than YOUR god. Odin never obsessed over foreskins, for one thing... And as far as I know, doesn't have the blood of a city's worth of first-borns on his hands.

As for "defaming His character"... Just read the book. WE don't need to defame it... The book does it just fine. The guy/robot/alien/whatever spends the entire old testament trying to accomplish stuff, messing it up, and then smiting his way out of it. And a lot of the time, like with Noah's Ark, his/it's "great plan" ultimately amounted in there being no difference between the before and after.

And I swear, impotent gods are the worst kinds lol. STRIKE ME DEAD, JESUS! YOU TAKE DICKS UP THE NOSTRILS!!!!

Still here. One impotent god mocked, and I'm about to head home to enjoy a beer and play some videogames. Ahhhh! I blasphemed the holy spook! I'm doomed forever! But don't cry for me Argentina. If your religion was real, I'd take a thousand hells over bending a knee to the vile child-killing, slavery-endorsing, mysognist homophobe pedophile you call a god.

Really a shame you can't see how embarassingly you've been duped. What a rube. :-\

lol... Anyway. Thanks for the laughs, Chuckles. Sorry you think everybody you know is worthy of eternal torture though. Oh, and sorry you think you suck and are made out of ancient suckjuice from the kingdom of suck and all that. Hope you... You know... Don't hate yourself and humanity so much down the road.

Laters!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:30:51 PM by RaymondKHessel »
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 02:50:40 PM »
Just because people call themselves Christians doesn't mean they are, in fact, Christians.  You can call "No True Scotsmen" all you want, it doesn't change this underlying fact.
Yes, I know that’s what so many theists say, “those” Christians aren’t “real Christians” like me.”  Define Christian and define what Christ-like means.  Your “saviour” isn’t all rainbows and kittens.  I’m still waiting for a Christian to do as JC said he could but not surprisingly, none of you can, self-described TrueChristian or not.  From all evidence, there are no TrueChristianstm at all.
Neither can you demonstrate the corruption of true Christianity by pointing at people who call themselves Christians.
Again, define “true Christianity”, MiC.  Does your savior “bring a sword” or does he only speak of loving everyone?  Everyone cherry picks the Jesus that they want.  We know what PETA stands for, what does your god do to show what it stands for?  Why do we have so many different version of what God “really” meant and everyone claiming the same Holy Spirit as their source?  Can you show me how to tell a false Christian from a TrueChristian or are you limited in telling me the difference between you and someone you disagree with, both with the same amount of evidence that they are “right”?  We’ve gone through this before and you’ve yet to demonstrate your claim to TrueChristianhood.  To bring this a bit back to the OP, can you show me that you’ll be the one resurrected and that someone else won’t?  On your deathbed, will you be so sure that you got it “right” and will you wonder why JC hasn’t returned yet despite promise after promise by Christians everywhere?
No, God is not a "prick" for not sharing the 'secret' of salvation to everyone.  It's hardly a secret, by the way - acknowledge the fact that Jesus Christ is Lord over all, believe in him as your one true salvation from the deserved wrath of God for your sins, and you will be saved.  There it is.  That's the "secret."  I bet that's probably the 278,534,709th time you've heard it, but the promise is still valid.  Come to Him, right now, as you are, and you will be saved.
And again, you fail to remember that pesky bit in Romans 9 where it says that it is not by faith that people become Christians but by God’s whim and those pesky bits in the gospels where JC says that some people are intentionally meant never to get this “secret” one he kept by telling parables per your own bible. Your version of “what all has to be done” is another example of Christians being unable to decide what their god “really” meant. Is it accepting JC? Is it works? Is it grace? Is it God’s choice?  is it childbirth (for women only)? The bible gives various “only” ways to be saved?

God created us, we sinned, and we deserve Hell.  Every one of us.  The fact that God saves some (not all) of us from deserved wrath does not make Him "a prick", it makes him more kind, more merciful, more generous, more patient, and more good than the best person you can imagine.
ROFL.  Oh my.  So babies magically somehow sin and deserve hell. Good for you, MiC!  I assume you advocate the claim of “original sin” considering what you’ve just written.  Well, just how fair is it to damn someone for something they didn’t do?  Would you do that and consider yourself fair? How “merciful” is that? How “generous” or how “patient”?  And how is saving some and making sure some are damned through no fault of their own “merciful”?  You sure have a warped idea of what merciful, kind, generous patient and good mean. 
As you get on your keyboard to bang out some semi-coherent raging response (if not you, then someone else on this forum) to try to defame his character yet again, He provides you with breath to fling words at Him, the mind to translate your insults to words, and the technology to form your words into bits and bytes and send them winging all this way to everyone on this forum, and if that is not enough, afterwards He still offers to save you through his Son.  Again and again He demonstrates his longsuffering, his patience, and his kindness, even to his enemies (like you.)  Why wouldn't you come to a God like Him?

Nice baseless personal attack there, MiC.  False witness much?  And poor poor God, golly, I dare to defame his character again.  This character? A being that commits murder, creates strife where there was none, advocates genocide, fails multiple times at “saving” humanity finally requiring a bloody murder of himself to himself and needing the help of supposed pure evil to get it done, kills people for money, and to top it all off, after killing all of the supposedly “evil” people on earth, intentionally releases a being of “pure evil” back on to the earth to corrupt some more people for no reason?  All documented in your bible.  Do you support BibleStudent’s claim that might equals right?

Please do also show me evidence that this god of yours did anything that you’ve claimed.  Why wasn’t it Amun-Ra who did this? Do you have evidence? Or physics/chemistry that all science seems to point to, the same science that as usual, you use when convenient? Indeed, what will happen to your baseless claims when we find life on other worlds as seems quite likely?  What new excuses will you come up with? 

Allah offers to save me too, so who shall I pick?  And where does this god of yours demonstrate anything, MiC?  There is no more evidence of this being than any evidence of any god. Your god is at best impotent (sad from a big high of causing magic floods and smiting men for daring to keep his magic box upright)  and the evidence shows most likely imaginary.  It is portrayed as one more nasty brat of a god, just like Zeus or Odin. The same temper tantrums, the same mating with human women, etc.  Of course I wouldn’t “come” to such a thing, and if this weren’t the religion you were raised in or near, you wouldn’t either if you hadn’t have invented your own god, by ignoring all of the parts of the bible you don’t like.     
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:52:30 PM by velkyn »
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 03:00:07 PM »
You might as well be wearing a viking helmet and preaching about Odin. I mean come on. He gave you breath and a computer and will take you to Valhalla when you die where we will feast and drink forever. Why would you not come to a god like him?

I mean s**t, he's at least 500 times cooler than YOUR god. Odin never obsessed over foreskins, for one thing... And as far as I know, doesn't have the blood of a city's worth of first-borns on his hands.

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-1
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 03:02:20 PM »

But here's the thing; you can say you accept and acknowledge Jesus until you are blue in the face. You can read the Bible, go to Bible studies, pray for faith...you can do all that and still, in your heart of hearts, know that it simply doesn't ring true for you. Not for lack of trying. There are a lot of people on this forum who have had this experience. So God (if he were to exist), in effect, IS being a "prick" for only giving a select few the actual secret and letting the rest either pay him lip service with no actual conviction (because they can't summon it up) or give up trying and conclude that it's all a fairy tale.

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
But here's the thing; you can say you accept and acknowledge Jesus until you are blue in the face. You can read the Bible, go to Bible studies, pray for faith...you can do all that and still, in your heart of hearts, know that it simply doesn't ring true for you. Not for lack of trying. There are a lot of people on this forum who have had this experience. So God (if he were to exist), in effect, IS being a "prick" for only giving a select few the actual secret and letting the rest either pay him lip service with no actual conviction (because they can't summon it up) or give up trying and conclude that it's all a fairy tale.

Exactly.  Giving humanity "free will" and then extorting them for to capitulate their will to his is the very definition of "prick." 

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 03:18:04 PM »

You bet your ass. I rest my case.  ;D

<drops mic>
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline Babdah

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • “We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 08:39:02 PM »
No, God is not a "prick" for not sharing the 'secret' of salvation to everyone. 

Apparently, he did not share it with the Americans when he decided to come to earth.

God created us, we sinned, and we deserve Hell.  Every one of us.  The fact that God saves some (not all) of us from deserved wrath does not make Him "a prick", it makes him more kind, more merciful, more generous, more patient, and more good than the best person you can imagine.

Considering the fact that he was mostly talking to the Israelite bunch he possibly only meant it for them and only them for tat time. 

Again and again He demonstrates his long suffering, his patience, and his kindness, even to his enemies (like you.)  Why wouldn't you come to a God like Him?

Prove it...

“We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered, afraid of its own forces, in search not merely of its road but even of its direction

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 01:03:36 AM »
<pedantic Valkyrie>That's actually My little brother Thor in those posters; Dad wears a floppy hat, and His right eye is missing.  Otherwise, I concur; I haven't seen any ice giants either, and I live in Winterpeg. </pedantic Valkyrie>

A particularly good one for Thor is "Your god died nailed to a cross.  My god has a hammer.  Any questions?" ;D

It's been a thousand years in the making, but it looks like the Æsir and Vanir will get their revenge on Olaf Tryggvason and the other Christian invaders... One Internet graphic at a time.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 01:08:30 AM »
God created us, we sinned, and we deserve Hell.  Every one of us.
Absolute rubbish.  Nothing "deserves" Hell.  No exceptions.

Again and again He demonstrates his longsuffering, his patience, and his kindness, even to his enemies (like you.)  Why wouldn't you come to a God like Him?

If a hell actually exists (but I very much doubt it), there is simply not enough "longsuffering," "patience" and "kindness"  in your alleged god to cancel out the infinite evil of torturing even one thinking, feeling entity for eternity.  I find it simply appalling that you're making excuses for a god like that.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 06:25:42 AM »
As you get on your keyboard to bang out some semi-coherent raging response (if not you, then someone else on this forum) to try to defame his character yet again, He provides you with breath to fling words at Him, the mind to translate your insults to words, and the technology to form your words into bits and bytes and send them winging all this way to everyone on this forum, and if that is not enough, afterwards He still offers to save you through his Son.  Again and again He demonstrates his longsuffering, his patience, and his kindness, even to his enemies (like you.)  Why wouldn't you come to a God like Him?

Thank you, Jesus, for inventing the computer!

Or maybe He didn't invent the computer but just supplied me with mine.  Even tho I never prayed for this computer.

I don't know what to say.  Reading your funny posts leaves me in a "semi-coherent" state.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 09:19:38 AM »
If I were a PR CEO for any god that may wish to employ me, I would definitely take deathbed confessions as the key to Heaven. In fact, I would make it a selling point. What better publicity than someone admitting on his deathbed that he had been wrong? The word of a dying person always carries a lot of weight, they have nothing to lose.

Look how powerful the myth of Darwin's deathbed conversion was.

PS
At this stage I feel sure that someone is going to say that Hitler, a good catholic boy, is in heaven and Ann Frank (who never accepted Jesus) is roasting in Hell.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”