Author Topic: Since we know it is all fiction...Casting  (Read 932 times)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
Since we know it is all fiction...Casting
« on: November 15, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »
If you were casting for the parts of God and Satan, here in 2011...who would you pick for the roles?

I gave it some thought, and Satan is generally portrayed as a fiftish guy who is way too uptight, or a sexy chick...I think John Goodman would breathe some new life into the role. Satan as the laid back good buddy type who talks you into the easy/self indulgent way.

As to God, fifteen years ago, James Earl Jones hands down, but his age has caught up with him. I think Patrick Stewart would be a good choice. As for God you need: (1) Presence (2)A good disapproving Look (3)Slight befuddlement asto others stupidity. Patrick Stewart as all of those nailed. Barring him, Ian Maccellan also has those three things.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:44:25 PM by Hatter23 »
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Since we know it is all fiction...Casting
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 03:40:18 PM »
I'm rather fond of the Satan as sleek and sexy rocker.  Not sure who I'd cast as that though. 

and as God?  Betty White? 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »
I'm rather fond of the Satan as sleek and sexy rocker.  Not sure who I'd cast as that though. 

I thought Jude Law might work if you were going for that angle

and as God?  Betty White?

Actually my girl who brought up the question thought she would make a good Satan; a little old lady with a filthy mouth.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:46:36 PM by Hatter23 »
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 04:04:04 PM »
hmm, Jude Law.  yep, he's tasty.  :)

of course we could go with God as really depicted in the bible, a powerful brat rather than the all-knowing, all-wise father figure.   Then I'd pick Roseanne Barr.  :P 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 04:17:39 PM »
hmm, Jude Law.  yep, he's tasty.  :)

Yes...many, many, many women agree with you on that one. He has a slightly unearthly aspect of sex appeal.

of course we could go with God as really depicted in the bible, a powerful brat rather than the all-knowing, all-wise father figure.   Then I'd pick Roseanne Barr.  :P

And once again something that came up in the conversation. God as Roseanne Barr, Satan as John Goodman.
We also thought Bette Midler could do an interesting Satan.

But barring that(he he)I was a little hard pressed to come up with many actresses that could get that, forgive the expression, patrician aspect of God. Perhaps Maggie Smith or Judi Dench or <grimace> Whoopi Goldberg.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 04:55:30 PM by Hatter23 »

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 04:18:06 PM »
Criss Angel as Satan.

I've read some evangelists who say he is already.

I dunno if he can read lines.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +851/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 04:26:16 PM »
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 04:29:03 PM »
How about Tricia Helfer in both roles?
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 04:29:28 PM »
Criss Angel as Satan.

I've read some evangelists who say he is already.

I dunno if he can read lines.

He states he's an illusionist...and they still don't get it???????????????????????

Wow I knew fundies were stupid, but that's suprisingly stupid.

His "big" tricks never meant squat to me. I could figure them out pretty easily. The Steamroller stunt was, in a word, pathetic in how easy it was to figure out. His street magic, however, tends to astound me as to how he does it.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +851/-6
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »
A guy told me that Criss Angel had real magical powers. I looked at the video where he walks on water. I told the guy that Criss Angel walks on water by putting a piece of plexiglass in a swimming pool and paying some people to act astounded. Anyone could do it.

The guy clammed up.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 05:23:07 PM »
For some reason I think that Michael Caine would play a good God, and Mickey Rourke would play a good Satan.

EDIT: I just did a search, and Caine did play God in a movie I've never seen.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +851/-6
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 05:28:45 PM »
For some reason I think that Michael Caine would play a good God, and Mickey Rourke would play a good Satan.

Good ones. I love Michael Caine, and Mickey Rourke (like my boy RDJ) has seen Satan a few times.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 05:33:32 PM »

Good ones. I love Michael Caine, and Mickey Rourke (like my boy RDJ) has seen Satan a few times.

Thanks! I think Daniel Day-Lewis might make another good Satan, and Ving Rhames might play a good God.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +388/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 07:54:32 PM »
Yahweh:

Michael Clarke Duncan - talented actor who I think could capture the way Yawheh flips from "god who wuvs you" to "FEAR MY WRATH!!! BWAHAHAHAHAA!" very well and make the latter genuinely scary.

Helen Mirren - I think she could do a very good cold, imperious Yahweh.

Anthony Hopkins - Reprise his performance as Hannibal, but with magic powers.

George Takei - Did a pretty good job of being lofty and forbidding in Heroes.  I think he could get Yahweh's ruthlessness down.

John Noble - My favorite.  Played Walter Bishop on Fringe, would be awesome because of the way he can portray a seamless blend of menace and personal presence with bumbling absent-mindedness and madness (hence all those Biblical contradictions and iron chariot class fails).

Jackie Chan - For a more comedic-oriented film with some physical slapstick and perhaps martial arts, emphasizing Yahweh's bumbling side over his viciousness.

John Malkovich - Does creepy psychopath very well.

Satan:

Wesley Snipes - I picture him as a very "cool" Satan.

Jada Pinkett Smith - Would do a good job as an intense, fierce rebel leader.

Jude Law - Great as a cunning, "tempter" type.

Angelina Jolie - Has the range to cover both "temptress" and "fierce rebel" (action/combat) aspects of the role.

Zhang Ziyi - Opposite Jackie Chan in the comedic/martial arts version.  Grace and beauty (see Ezekiel 28).

Captain Robert from Abney Park - I have no idea if he can act, but he has buckets of charisma.  Plus, Satan as a Prometheus "giver of forbidden knowledge to humankind" figure with brass goggles, airship pirate duds, and clockwork gadgetry...yeaaaah. :D

As both ("Oh God, You Devil" style):

Alan Rickman - 'Nuff said.  ;)

Angelina Jolie - I think she could do Yahweh also, with some special effects makeup to age her a little.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 08:14:30 PM »
Kcrady, I sense a slight fascination with AJ? 

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 09:26:12 PM »
Girlfreind came up with two more Satan choices: Elijah Wood and Anthony Hopkins

Offline Bad Pear

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Observations from one bad fruit to the bunch.
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 10:04:59 PM »
No new ideas, but I loved Ray Wise as Satan in Reaper (for a more comical approach). I also liked Peter Stormare in Constantine.

Speaking of bad movies, Tilda Swinton (also from Constantine) could pull of either role fairly well I think.
Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions implode, atheism is what is left behind

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 03:27:30 AM »
for Satan you just HAVE to go Metal (or Hard Rock at the least) ... Alice Copper seems perfect. As for a female Satan ... Sharon den Adel
God: ... think the Norwegians will let Breivik out long enough to film his scenes? ... what? too much typecasting?

Oooooh, nonono, Amy Lee as God ... then we could make Bible: The Musical
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 09:18:37 AM »
Robert Downey Jr. as Satan. So very HOT, and a bad, bad boy.
http://static1.purepeople.com/articles/6/15/17/6/@/73232-robert-downey-jr-637x0-1.jpg

Jill Scott as God. Nuff said.
http://www.afrobella.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Jill-Scott-1-Low.jpg

oh yes.  And Ms. Scott has already got a beautiful halo  :)

and oh my, Cap't Robert, he'd be great.  :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 09:20:16 AM by velkyn »

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 11:23:51 AM »
I really liked Morgan Freeman as God in Bruce Almighty.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-1
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 02:41:28 PM »
Some great suggestions!

I like the idea of Jude Law as Satan. He's always given me the creeps even though he's superficially good looking. Wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole, though.  Part of me would kind of prefer a Satan that isn't strictly evil, though. With all the speculation possible on whether Satan could, in fact, be the sympathetic character vs the tyrannical Yahweh, it would be nice to cast someone with more complexity.

As an avid fan of "Lost" (before they ruined the ending), I'd suggest Michael Emerson, who can switch between absolute Evil and Innocence without missing a beat. Heck, go with that theme, and Terry O'Quinn could make a pretty good Yahweh, too.

I also like the idea of Anthony Hopkins or Alan Rickman in either role, but I've been in love with both of them for decades, so that might just be my personal bias.

And Helen Mirren could run with either role as well.

It's kind of funny how most of those I think would be really good as one character seem just as apt for the other.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 04:40:03 PM »
Agree on Patrick Stewart as God, especially if you want to portray God in a positive light. He immediately came to mind when you first asked the question. Picard was the most believable of the Star Trek captains, due in large part to Stewart's excellent acting in that role, though it probably owes something to good writing as well. Picard was firm but fair, and ruled more by respect than by fear. He somehow managed to not come off as a tyrant, yet still leave no doubt about who was in charge.

However, for a less flattering, and arguably more accurate, portrayal of God, another Star Trek TNG character comes to mind. Q. Petulant, arrogant, immensely powerful, highly intelligent, judgemental, yet not entirely bad. Usually uncaring, but would occasionally step in as an ally when he felt like it. John de Lancie was great in that role. Not sure if he could pull it off as well now though, due to aging.

Johnny Depp comes to mind as Satan. Especially if you're shooting for more of a mischievous bad guy that you could almost root for, instead of a one-dimensional, pure evil kind of Satan.

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 08:46:26 PM »
Daniel Day-Lewis is a MUST for Satan. He was spectacular in The Gangs of New York and There Will Be Blood

@Traveler: They probably won't use Morgan Freeman as God again.  ;) Will seem too recycled, even for Hollywood.

I guess if such a film was to be actually made in Hollywood, there'd be extremely different castings in comparison to the good suggestions posted here.  &)

Sci-Fi/Action/Adventure:

The Second C

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +102/-1
  • You know
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 03:00:30 AM »
I like the idea of Frankie Faison essentially reprising his role in The Wire as Ervin Burrell in portraying Yahweh.  Like Burrell, Yahweh is powerful, is sometimes supportive and sometimes vindictive.  And like Burrell, He is, in many ways, inept and ill suited for His position.

I guess as far as Satan goes, I like the idea of Satan being portrayed as a woman.  For one thing, it fits in with some of the old Jewish and Christian folklore in which Lilith is conflated with the serpent in the garden of Eden.  I also think that the temptation of Christ would be much more entertaining if it had some sexual overtones.  And for that reason, I'd like to see Lisa Bonet as Satan, as she is an essential part of my conception of sexiness.  For the same reason, I'd also cosign his suggestion of Jada Pinkett Smith.

So:

Yahweh:

Ha Shatan:

Peace
Nah son...

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 07:42:41 PM »
Satan:
Rupert Everett
Bill Murray
Kat Denning
Emma Stone
David Bowie

Yhwh
Harvey Fierstein
Billy Bob Thornton
Mike Tyson
Courtney Love
Naomi Campbell
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.