Author Topic: Is mocking religion wrong?  (Read 1491 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Is mocking religion wrong?
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 01:08:29 PM »
Religion advocates:
Intolerance
Hatred
Murder
Stupidity
Wars
Persecution
Indoctrination
Amorality
Slowing down everything that might be used to prove it wrong
(...)

So no, it's not wrong to mock it. If anything, it's wrong not to.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +40/-9
  • learn to laugh at yourself. I am.
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2011, 01:31:42 PM »
Wow.  Like I have said in the pass; tough crowd. As for mocking anyone. I can handle being mocked, now please understand I never said I liked it, but I can handle it. If it is done right it can even be funny.
 I have been mocked on this site. Did it upset me? You know it . But did it make me stop and think alittle harder about what I was talking about. Damn right it did. So mocking can be a good thing. If your skin is not all that thin. And by the way , I don't think you guys are evil. Well, not totally.
Most people think they know what they know. The problem starts by not knowing what you don't know. You know?  (Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence)   (Albert Einstein)One fool can ask more questions in a minute than twelve wise men can answer in an hour.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »
If somebody is going to sit across from me, and seriously try to convince me that a talking snake (who was really a red, hooved goat man and the incarnation of evil) got a rib lady to eat a wisdom-giving fruit, and THAT is why babies in Africa get devoured by vultures...

You bet your ass I'm going to mock them.

Why? Because, real talk, that's one jaw-droppingly stupid thing to believe.

You're a grown ass adult living in the 21st century. Get a fucking GRIP.
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +40/-9
  • learn to laugh at yourself. I am.
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 02:01:41 PM »
If somebody is going to sit across from me, and seriously try to convince me that a talking snake (who was really a red, hooved goat man and the incarnation of evil) got a rib lady to eat a wisdom-giving fruit, and THAT is why babies in Africa get devoured by vultures...

You bet your ass I'm going to mock them.

Why? Because, real talk, that's one jaw-droppingly stupid thing to believe.

You're a grown ass adult living in the 21st century. Get a fucking GRIP.
There may be a little more to it than that. But you are right about one thing, I am a grown ass adult living in the 21st century and as for getting a grip, maybe that is not the answer. Maybe your grip is just a little to tight, maybe you should relax, just a little. Or are you just mocking me.  :?
Most people think they know what they know. The problem starts by not knowing what you don't know. You know?  (Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence)   (Albert Einstein)One fool can ask more questions in a minute than twelve wise men can answer in an hour.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline fishjie

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 02:35:11 PM »
I like to troll fundies

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 07:38:58 PM »
Religion advocates:
Intolerance
Hatred
Murder
Stupidity
Wars
Persecution
Indoctrination
Amorality
Slowing down everything that might be used to prove it wrong
(...)

Not all religions advocate those things.
The Second C

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 01:33:50 AM »
Not all religions advocate those things.

Even if I am willing to grant that Buddhism and such are religions, although they do not advocate those things, they still provide an incentive for all of those.
As I pointed out in another topic, theism gives a simple way to "apologize" for what they did without actually doing anything. It makes them feel good and, as I'm sure you know, we are just animals. Our brains are still hardwired with the "Reward/Punishment" system, whether we want to admit it or not.

Consider this:
You hurt someone. You feel bad (or maybe you don't). You "apologize" with whatever ritual you want. Now you feel good.

How does this not provide an incentive?

And even if you don't agree with this, the mere fact that it gives people a scapegoat for the bad things they do is, in itself, bad.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:27:49 AM by Lucifer »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2011, 02:16:49 AM »
http://terrorism.about.com/od/politicalislamterrorism/tp/Religious-terrorism.htm
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0618/p04s01-wosc.html

In Sri Lanka, Buddhist nationalism among Sinhalese.

For a more infamous example, Shintoism is an offshoot of Buddhism.  Nationalized by the Japanese in the early 20th century, we have a lovely example of violence, too.

It's not strictly a 'religion' or its STATED beliefs, but the hierarchical, authoritarian structure of it that can be exploited.

When you can become an authority who can convince people that doing evil is 'right', they will go out and do their 'good works' according to what they're told.  They can do no wrong!

It's 'right' because the authority says so!  Strap on that bomb, now!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:19:31 AM by pingnak »

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »

It's not strictly a 'religion' or its STATED beliefs, but the hierarchical, authoritarian structure of it that can be exploited.

When you can become an authority who can convince people that doing evil is 'right', they will go out and do their 'good works' according to what they're told.  They can do no wrong!

It's 'right' because the authority says so!  Strap on that bomb, now!

This is the problem with religion in a nutshell. Anytime one's religious faith is a part of a hierarchical and/or authoritarian structure, eventually there will be dissent and trouble. Religion practice and ritual on virtually any level above that of the personal and individual level lends itself to authoritarian exploitation.
Large religious groups have the power to move and persuade governments and other regimes in ways that can be dangerous to a populous as well as oppressive to those within the realm of the religious group's influence. That is one of the main reasons why church and state need to be as far apart and disconnected as possible.

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 04:20:23 PM »
Or are you just mocking me.  :?

That depends. You actually believe a single 900 year old dude somehow got 60,000 species of beetle onto a 450 ft wooden boat?

Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 06:41:21 PM »

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 06:43:02 PM »
Jesus Himself was mocked!  Why should run-of-the-mill American Christians think they won't be.  It is to be expected.  Christians being treated like Jesus was foretold.  Proof the Bible is True!

Oh that's right, just because Bible prophecy has time and again been shown to be true, it can't be used as "evidence" for truth.  Gosh, you guys only believe scientists; I forgot. 
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +406/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 07:13:45 PM »
Jesus Himself was mocked!  Why should run-of-the-mill American Christians think they won't be.  It is to be expected.  Christians being treated like Jesus was foretold.  Proof the Bible is True!

Oh that's right, just because Bible prophecy has time and again been shown to be true, it can't be used as "evidence" for truth.  Gosh, you guys only believe scientists; I forgot.

It's not the scientists, it's the objectively verifiable data.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline pingnak

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 07:16:13 PM »
I agree:  The same bible prophesies have successfully 'predicted' completely different events, over and over again, over the centuries.

That's 'proof'... if you're a drooling idiot.

I am an expert prognosticator, given biblical 'proofs' as a metric: "There will be rain."

No, wait!  I have more predictions!

"There will be war."

"There will be snow."

"There will be famine."

"There will be disease."

Downright 'miraculous', how I can generate so many uncanny predictions!

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +406/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 07:19:28 PM »

Also, the 'mocking' thing isn't so much a prophecy (or, if it is, is a pretty dumb one).  If I told a group of people that they'd be mocked for shouting at the top of their lungs a stream of unverifiable "truths" and untestable "promises", I'd make sure to let them all know that they will probably be mocked by others.  It'd be kind of irresponsible for me not to mention that you proclaiming that the sky is falling to a bunch of strangers will lead to being mocked.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline pingnak

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 08:43:25 PM »
Good point; I predict: "Idiots will be mocked!"

Missed that one.

The sun will come up.  The sun will set.  The moon will appear in phases. 

The moon will be eclipsed by the earth!

The sun will be eclipsed by the moon!

I'll be 'right' again and again!  And I don't even have to tell you when or where this will happen.  That would be too much like science, or even looking it up in a table.  Proper RELIGIOUS predictions have to be more vague and ignorant than that.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2011, 10:45:25 PM »

Well, we also believe in tourist agencies that claim Tyre is a still yet an inhabited vibrant city that one could visit.
We believe in linguists that tell us that languages evolve with each other and were not created by a Babel Tower disaster.
We believe Cowboys when they say you can't make striped cows with striped sticks.
We believe in high school science labs where one can see with their own eyes bacteria that is not unlike the bacteria that causes leprosy, but we don't feel the need to sacrifice Birds to kill it, we know that bleach will do it.
We can trust  the makers of kotex tampons that women are plenty clean even during their periods.
We can trust the local weatherman that the rain that comes will not originate from windows in the firmament.
We can trust the local librarian that information about the Ammonites still exists. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ezekiel%2021:32;&version=31;
I could go on.. but a christianity diseased brain would have trouble with even this much..
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +236/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2011, 11:14:27 PM »
Jesus Himself was mocked! 

That's not overly surprising. We mock adults who still believe in Santa Claus.  We mock people who say the holocaust never happened.  We mock people who claim they've been abducted by aliens.  What's the common denominator here?  We mock people who say, believe, and do stupid shit. 

Here's a thought for you.  If your next door neighbor suddenly started claiming he was the only begotten son of the greatest being in the history of the universe, would you mock him? 

Why should run-of-the-mill American Christians think they won't be.  It is to be expected. 

Right. It is to be expected.  Because believing in God is really stupid.  Its right up there with believing in horoscopes.   

Christians being treated like Jesus was foretold.  Proof the Bible is True!

It's not proof that the bible is true.  It's proof that authors knew it was stupid when they were writing it.  They were preparing the believer for the onslaught of mockery that rightfully ensues after admitting they believe something so dumb.

Come on now.  If I wrote a book about the FSM and said that followers of the FSM would be mocked, do you REALLY think that's prophetic or just common fucking sense? 

Proof the bible is true... lol.
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline pingnak

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2011, 11:23:16 PM »
And I predict great genocides against the turkeys!

A turkey day prayer:

Thank 'god' I'm not a turkey!

This would be one hell of a day.

Bein' killed' 'n chopped up 'n gettin' bread crumbs jammed up my keester!

An' the same thing happenin' to everybody I ever knew!

Remember!  Stay off the UFO!  The book, 'To Serve Man'... it's a COOK BOOK!

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2011, 11:29:23 PM »
And I predict great genocides against the turkeys!

A turkey day prayer:

Thank 'god' I'm not a turkey!

This has already happened to the turkeys in my country. Praise Pingnak! Clearly he is the one true prophet!
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2011, 11:39:46 PM »
Nay!  'Tis the turkey on the cross that guides me!

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2011, 05:19:51 AM »
Nay!  'Tis the turkey on the cross that guides me!
Which is the better guide - fresh, or frozen?

Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline Maxwell

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2011, 07:26:28 AM »
To most Christians, anything short of getting down on your knees and praying right next to them is 'mocking' their religion. 

You're 'persecuting' them just by not being one of them.

Irreverence is our position, by definition.

My cousin is a christian. He's not like that.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2011, 07:36:48 AM »
To most Christians, anything short of getting down on your knees and praying right next to them is 'mocking' their religion. 

You're 'persecuting' them just by not being one of them.

Irreverence is our position, by definition.

See the part I bolded?

Offline pingnak

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2011, 04:15:54 PM »
Which is the better guide - fresh, or frozen?
The frozen, thawed, then fired from an air cannon at a jet engine variety, of course!

Offline I am become relevant

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2011, 11:44:06 AM »
I'd say no. It's not especially wrong.
I'd say just rude depending on how it's done.....
I is back.

I'm a muslim.
No I won't email you a bomb if you tick me off, but only because I don't know how to.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2011, 11:55:47 AM »
Actually god himself just whispered in my ear and told me that he was. I'm so sorry you are wrong.
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !