Author Topic: Dealing With Physical Ailment  (Read 677 times)

Offline Ataraxia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
Dealing With Physical Ailment
« on: January 16, 2014, 03:18:15 AM »
WLC up to his usual tricks. This isn't specifically about amputees, but it covers them:

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +374/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
Re: Dealing With Physical Ailment
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 10:13:09 AM »
Summary:

Suck it up and quit complaining - you're getting an awesome reward later.  Trust megod.

If you want actual help, call a doctor.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:58:54 AM »
Put WLC in long hair and gold lamme spandex and you could not tell him apart from David Lee Roth.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +374/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:09:27 AM »
Put WLC in long hair and gold lamme spandex and you could not tell him apart from David Lee Roth.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 04:00:33 PM »

Wow...kinda scary! I'd give you another +1 for this, but since Screwtape was the one who actually noted the resemblance, he gets one too.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 05:33:10 PM »
What's more, I believe WLC has been all around this great big world, and hes seen all kinds of girls. Yeah, but he couldn't wait to get back to the states, back to the cutest girls in the world. (I think he married a Californian girl)
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »

I think its very good that he made a point of telling the bloke to seek the best possible scientific help.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Ataraxia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 02:45:03 AM »

I think its very good that he made a point of telling the bloke to seek the best possible scientific help.

It appears very good in contrast with the other four pieces of advice, but by itself it's ordinary and exactly what you'd expect anyone to say. Plus, it should've been the first thing in his list, not the last.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 10:50:59 AM »
Summary:

Suck it up and quit complaining - you're getting an awesome reward later.  Trust megod.

Of course he did not address those who have no access to medical care.  How much to you want to be he is against "Obamacare"?

It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 10:52:34 AM »

Boooo! You ruined David Lee Roth for me!
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +374/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 02:06:27 PM »
Summary:

Of course he did not address those who have no access to medical care.  How much to you want to be he is against "Obamacare"?
Sure he addressed them.

They just need to suck it up and quit complaining - they're getting an awesome[1] reward later.
 1. Did I mention how awesome the reward is?

- Eddie Izzard

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 07:00:31 PM »
Boooo! You ruined David Lee Roth for me!

??  that's kind of like saying I ruined root canals.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +533/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 07:17:06 PM »
WLC up to his usual tricks. This isn't specifically about amputees, but it covers them:

Does anyone believe that WLC really means, "God sends us doctors, who have explored the mysteries of His created order to uncover the secrets of health and healing." God sends us doctors??? What? From Xenu? Or does he create the male ones out of mud and the females from spare rib?

And why do we need to " uncover the secrets of health and healing"? Can't God simply tell us?

Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-1
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 08:18:29 AM »

Does anyone believe that WLC really means, "God sends us doctors, who have explored the mysteries of His created order to uncover the secrets of health and healing." God sends us doctors??? What? From Xenu? Or does he create the male ones out of mud and the females from spare rib?

And why do we need to " uncover the secrets of health and healing"? Can't God simply tell us?

I think that the concept that science is finding out the secrets of the universe with medical science finding out about how we work and how to fix us when it goes wrong is probably something WLC would want to say. If he doesn't then there is the immediate problem of science healing and god not healing which deals  bit of blow to his theology. of course, as a good apologist he's got the answers ready as to why god doesn't heal people but none make sense of an all-loving god.

Now it is certainly true that those of us who have physical disabilities manage to get along in life one way or another what with the support of family, friends and some great aids like wheelchairs etc. but it is insulting at best to be told that one has to 'deal with the disability' to get a better reward later.' In many cases, the science does not provide cures, at least yet. Multiple Sclerosis, spinal injuries etc. have no cure so that only rehab and aids allows people to live somewhat harder lives. Again, if this amazing god channels his 'love' through medicine one would have expected to see a lot more treatments that cure and very much fewer neurologists saying, 'well we know what's wrong but there's no treatment.'

WLC ought to have a rethink after talking to groups of people with disabilities and come up with something that makes sense. A demonstration of the existence of god would be good too and not just his usual philosophical ruminations.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)