Author Topic: I can't stop facepalming long enough to respond to this.  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Swanny

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
I can't stop facepalming long enough to respond to this.
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:02:40 PM »
I can come up with something on my own, of course. I have read most of "The Greatest Show on Earth," all of "The God Delusion," "God is not Great," and am in the midst of an Evolutionary Psychology course. Someone posted this to Facebook, and I feel I responded very intellectually. Now someone came back with this:

First of all I don't think this statement is harsh at all and by any means unloving. The truth hurts sometimes. We can all establish the fact that Jesus was a real person who came to the earth even other religions know that, they just don't want to acknowledge him as God, and of course all of his teaching in the bible that were recorded declare his existence. Even if u dont believe He is God he is one of the greatest teachers to ever walk the earth. His sermon on the mount is incomparable to any other philosophers teaching. You can take and put every philosophers teachings together and still have an incomplete teaching of the sermon on the mount- which if u didn't know is Matthew chapters 5-7. Jesus walked in truth and people were in awe of his perfect ways.( Disciplined In every way) so either he was a complete lunatic/liar or He is who he says he is(God). Why on one statement would he lie?... I saw that evolution was mentioned also. Evolution/big bang theory is by far the most ridiculous concept man has ever come up with. By believing this u obviously believe that at some point in time we came from monkeys. Variations have been observed within a species ( dog breeds) but no one has ever witness or observed or has even come close to proving any sort of variation taking one species and changing it into another (dog into cat).You take two different kinds of dogs breed them and always still get a dog.... Anyways...We're putting our faith in a big God, where as you are putting your faith in a speck of dust that came from nowhere, out of nothing, and somehow managed to create the universe.

Faced with this much stupid in one person, I am not sure what to say. The entire thing is obviously moronic, but I could respond logically.

Is it worth it?
Do any of you have anything you think would stop even someone this ignorant in their tracks?
The most basic fact of life is that there has to be a creator and to deny this no matter how many phd's u have mean you are still at the most elementary stage of true knowledge.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-6
  • WWGHA Member
Re: I can't stop facepalming long enough to respond to this.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:14:45 PM »
There is an unlimited supply of them. Do not deal with them unless they are relatives. Then you need some truce.

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +216/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »

Faced with this much stupid in one person, I am not sure what to say. The entire thing is obviously moronic, but I could respond logically.

Is it worth it?

That's something you have to decide for yourself. This person is regurgitating fundie propaganda that they clearly have an emotional attachment to; responding logically is not likely to reach them. If you do respond, accept that it's very unlikely for them to be swayed by your arguments and evidence.

With someone this ignorant of what they're criticizing (if you can even call it that), I think the most you can hope for is adding another increment to their own internal doubts. And if they're human, they have doubts, however deeply buried. Those doubts may cause them to examine their beliefs at some point in the future.

Do any of you have anything you think would stop even someone this ignorant in their tracks?

Don't I wish. My stepmother, a very sweet and shrewd Southern Baptist from North Carolina, warned me decades ago about debating creationists. She said basically not to bother unless it was very important, and not to expect to change their minds.

Sorry I don't have anything more substantial to offer.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +1176/-6
  • This space for rent
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
If you have been watching us discuss similar topics with our current crop of theists you should be able to predict the sorts of responses you would get. If you have a high threshold for pain and don't mind having your sensibilities offended more by this person, go have some fun.

It's quicker just to stick your head in a blender, though.
What I lack in sophistication I make up for with other shortcomings.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +377/-1
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 09:49:55 PM »
Tell this individual that "great teachers" generally don't infest herds of pigs with demons, causing their death by drowning (Mark 5:11-13), assassinate fig trees (Matthew 21:19), call foreign women dogs (Matthew 15:21-26) or instruct their followers to steal someone's colt (Luke 19:30-31).

Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +117/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »

First of all I don't think this statement is harsh at all and by any means unloving. The truth hurts sometimes. We can all establish the fact that Jesus was a real person who came to the earth even other religions know that, they just don't want to acknowledge him as God, and of course all of his teaching in the bible that were recorded declare his existence. Even if u dont believe He is God he is one of the greatest teachers to ever walk the earth. His sermon on the mount is incomparable to any other philosophers teaching. You can take and put every philosophers teachings together and still have an incomplete teaching of the sermon on the mount- which if u didn't know is Matthew chapters 5-7. Jesus walked in truth and people were in awe of his perfect ways.( Disciplined In every way) so either he was a complete lunatic/liar or He is who he says he is(God). Why on one statement would he lie?... I saw that evolution was mentioned also. Evolution/big bang theory is by far the most ridiculous concept man has ever come up with. By believing this u obviously believe that at some point in time we came from monkeys. Variations have been observed within a species ( dog breeds) but no one has ever witness or observed or has even come close to proving any sort of variation taking one species and changing it into another (dog into cat).You take two different kinds of dogs breed them and always still get a dog.... Anyways...We're putting our faith in a big God, where as you are putting your faith in a speck of dust that came from nowhere, out of nothing, and somehow managed to create the universe.

That is a work of art.

That last statement sounds very similar to the christian god.
Mankind is not likely to salvage civilization unless he can evolve a system of good and evil which is independent of heaven and hell.

George Orwell

When you believe in things you don't understand
Then you suffer
Superstition ain't the way

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +173/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 11:35:43 AM »
I'd probably be too tempted to respond.   ;D

"No, we cannot 'all establish' that Jesus existed.  The bible says so, but there is no credible corroborating evidence to support his existance.  The fact that the gospels were written, AT BEST, 70 years after Jesus' death calls all details into question.  You refer to Jesus by the classic C. S. Lewis "Lunatic, liar, or lord" but you're forgetting another possible L word: legend.
"Your lack of knowledge regarding evolutionary science is astounding.  Speciation has been observed in the lab, and in the wild--and only a complete idiot would even pretend to expect that the kind of speciation we're talking about is as drastic as your lame-ass 'dog to cat' example.
"Finally, why isn't 'we don't know yet' a good enough answer for the origins of the universe?  You claim to have all the answers in that your invisible sky daddy, who somehow always existed--and you don't have a problem with the double-standard THAT imposes, do you?--decided to create a vast universe that included a tiny mote of a mud-ball for his chosen creation to dwell on for 70 years or so (or 900 if you're Adam) before being either forever blessed with heaven, or forever damned in a burning hell?  Frankly, I'll take 'I don't know but science is still wokring on it' over your bronze-age barbarism any day of the week."
...religion is simply tribalism with a side order of philosophical wankery, and occasionally a baseball bat to smash...anyone who doesn't show...deference to the tribe's chosen totem.

~Astreja

To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place.

~Sam Harris

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +266/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 01:00:52 PM »

First all I don't think statement is harsh all and by mean unloving. Truth hurt sometime. We can all establish fact King Agga was real person who came to earth even other Shamans know that, they just don't want acknowledge him as Ugabuga, and course all his teaching in Ancient scrolls were record declare his existence. Even if u dont believe He is Ugabuga, he is one greatest teacher ever walk earth. His sermon on volcano is incomparable to any other elder teaching. You can take and put every elder teaching together and still have incomplete teaching of the sermon on volcano which if u didn't know is Mouguw Scroll 5-7. King Agga walked in truth and islanders were in awe of his perfect way.( Discipline In every way) so either he was a complete lunatic/liar or He is who he says he is(Ugabuga). Why on one statement would he lie?... I saw evolution was mentioned also. Evolution/big bang theory is by far the most ridiculous concept man ever come up with. By believing this u obviously believe that some point time we came from monkey. Variation been observe within species ( dog breeds) but no one ever witness or observe or come close to proving any sort variation taking one species and changing it another (dog into cat).You take two different kinds dog breed them and alway still get  dog.... Anyway...We're putting our faith in great Ugabuga, where as you are putting your faith in speck of dust came from nowhere, out nothing, and somehow managed to create universe

That's what the statement is the equivalent of.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 01:19:11 PM »

First all I don't think statement is harsh all and by mean unloving. Truth hurt sometime. We can all establish fact King Agga was real person who came to earth even other Shamans know that, they just don't want acknowledge him as Ugabuga, and course all his teaching in Ancient scrolls were record declare his existence. Even if u dont believe He is Ugabuga, he is one greatest teacher ever walk earth. His sermon on volcano is incomparable to any other elder teaching. You can take and put every elder teaching together and still have incomplete teaching of the sermon on volcano which if u didn't know is Mouguw Scroll 5-7. King Agga walked in truth and islanders were in awe of his perfect way.( Discipline In every way) so either he was a complete lunatic/liar or He is who he says he is(Ugabuga). Why on one statement would he lie?... I saw evolution was mentioned also. Evolution/big bang theory is by far the most ridiculous concept man ever come up with. By believing this u obviously believe that some point time we came from monkey. Variation been observe within species ( dog breeds) but no one ever witness or observe or come close to proving any sort variation taking one species and changing it another (dog into cat).You take two different kinds dog breed them and alway still get  dog.... Anyway...We're putting our faith in great Ugabuga, where as you are putting your faith in speck of dust came from nowhere, out nothing, and somehow managed to create universe

That's what the statement is the equivalent of.

uga buga    

Something you write in the subject of an email message when you have nothing else to put in.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=uga%20buga
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1865/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 01:32:39 PM »
Lunatic, liar, lord, legend, lollipop, lesbian, lifelike lizard alien in a meat suit, lazy lily-livered lederhosen-liking Lebanese? We can go on with the L words and then start with the rest of the alphabet.

Since there is no real documentation about the guy, he could have been any of these things. Or none of them. Not enough to base your life on, at any rate. &)
When all of Cinderella's finery changed back at midnight, why didn't the shoes disappear? What's up with that?