Author Topic: Please respond urgently. [#2618]  (Read 1833 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Please respond urgently. [#2618]
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:38:35 AM »
Dear Sir/ Mrs

I want to respond to the 10 question video online and recommend you read this attentively- since you said you want to speak to intellectuals. It is clear to me, and will be evident to every other committed Christian, that you desperately want to find Jesus and salvation. You use 10 questions to try and prove God does not exist, because you have not found His mercy yet. God is not human, therefore what we think is or isn't true or what is possible or impossible is not applicable. I know that at night when you go to sleep there is a feeling you have that something is missing. You go through life with a constant 'emptiness'. This you have tried to explain away, but guess what, God will never forsake you. That feeling will remain because God is real and His love is true. He wants to care and give you salvation, but you must choose to live according to His way. I am a Christian and will stay true to Jesus, because I have felt his mercy, forgiveness and salvation. Today I speak to you because I know that as a Christian, I must share the truth and life that is Jesus with my fellow human beings. When you say the following aloud and "if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. "- Romans 10:9-10 "Dear God, I know that my sin has separated me from You. Thank you that Jesus Christ died in my place. I ask Jesus to forgive my sin and to come into my life. Please begin to direct my life. Thank you for giving me eternal life. In Jesus'name, Amen." I can guarantee that you will find the light and the Lord will help you to see He is alive.

Please respond to me as I would like to speak to you more about this.   

Sincere Regards and God Bless
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Re: Please respond urgently. [#2618]
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 09:43:25 AM »
Yes, you are right.  I want to find Jesus and salvation.  I spend many sleepless night knowing something is missing.  I have been fighting against God for so long.  I am so tired.  I want peace.  Jesus come into my life.  Make me full and like other true Christians who know of your love and mercy. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline kevinschroeder

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 10:03:30 AM »
Nick,

Luckily I'm prone to sarcasm, but if you're serious (and you will be eventually), e-mail me at kevinschroeder2011@hotmail.com. God Bless

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:30:42 AM »
From Kevin Schroeder:

Dear Sir/ Mrs

I want to respond to the 10 question video online and recommend you read this attentively- since you said you want to speak to intellectuals. It is clear to me, and will be evident to every other committed Christian, that you desperately want to find Jesus and salvation.

You know, Kevin, I was a committed Christian who was seeking the truth. Yet the truth does not lie in the Bible, because the Bible (yes, even the parts about Christ) does not make sense when viewed through the lenses of logic and science rather than faith. Your words sound awfully close to the No True Scotsman fallacy. Try to be careful with that.

You use 10 questions to try and prove God does not exist, because you have not found His mercy yet. God is not human, therefore what we think is or isn't true or what is possible or impossible is not applicable.

I think you are being presumptuous if you think we "have not found His mercy yet." Many of us are ex-Christians who were very devoted to Christ. And yes, God was supposedly a human for a short time, through the Son in the form of Jesus. What we think is true is certainly applicable. Why serve an illogical, unlikely God?

I know that at night when you go to sleep there is a feeling you have that something is missing. You go through life with a constant 'emptiness'. This you have tried to explain away, but guess what, God will never forsake you.

Actually, I don't have that feeling. Maybe you do, but again, it is presumptuous to claim that you know that we do.

That feeling will remain because God is real and His love is true. He wants to care and give you salvation, but you must choose to live according to His way.

And what if God's way just seems like illogical SPAG from archaic misogynists? It makes no sense that I would be thrown into the lake of fire for not wanting to believe in something that does not seem to make sense.

I am a Christian and will stay true to Jesus, because I have felt his mercy, forgiveness and salvation. Today I speak to you because I know that as a Christian, I must share the truth and life that is Jesus with my fellow human beings. When you say the following aloud and "if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. "- Romans 10:9-10 "Dear God, I know that my sin has separated me from You. Thank you that Jesus Christ died in my place. I ask Jesus to forgive my sin and to come into my life. Please begin to direct my life. Thank you for giving me eternal life. In Jesus'name, Amen." I can guarantee that you will find the light and the Lord will help you to see He is alive.

I already said that prayer and confessed that Jesus was Lord a long time ago, but then I realized that believing in a story so you won't be in eternal torment does not make sense. It is just like so much other mythology. There are some stories that predate Biblical prophecies that are very similar to the story of Jesus. Try reading about Horus, Dionysus, Attis, Krishna and Mithras. Jesus is recycled mythology. He is not a special savior.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 10:55:24 AM »
I rate this a "meh".  Nothing fundie or wacky about it, but rather unremarkable.

Very typical "void in your heart"(baseless assumption), "god loves you and wants a relationship with you" (baseless assumption) and ending with "bible verses designed to move you and sweep you off your feet" (unsupported claims)

I can guarantee that you will find the light and the Lord will help you to see He is alive.

I can already say that I found the light (just don't look directly).

Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 11:00:43 AM »
I want to respond to the 10 question video online and recommend you read this attentively- since you said you want to speak to intellectuals.

I doesn't seem to me like you responded to the 10 questions video... as in actually having addressed the 10 questions.

It is clear to me, and will be evident to every other committed Christian, that you desperately want to find Jesus and salvation.

I certainly don't... because I don't believe in the existence of any god, demigod nor do I believe there is anything supernatural or divine I need to be "saved" from.

Don't presume to know my thoughts and feelings. Ask me and I will tell them to you but don't assume.

You use 10 questions to try and prove God does not exist, because you have not found His mercy yet.

7.6 million children under 5 died in the world in 2010[1]. Where was your god's "mercy" for them?  (hint: nowhere because god doesn't exist)

I know that at night when you go to sleep there is a feeling you have that something is missing. You go through life with a constant 'emptiness'. This you have tried to explain away

You know jack about me. I sleep quite soundly thank you very much.

God will never forsake you. That feeling will remain because God is real and His love is true. He wants to care and give you salvation, but you must choose to live according to His way.

... and you don't see the threat in that statement?

"Love me and do what I say or I'll torture you forever... but I won't force you, it's your choice[2]."

What a disgusting belief system. Luckily, I don't actually live my life under constant threat by some deity because I don't believe there is one.
 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_mortality
 2. air quotes on the word "choice"
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:04:30 AM by plethora »
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 11:03:55 AM »
Dear Sir/ Mrs

I want to respond to the 10 question video online and recommend you read this attentively- since you said you want to speak to intellectuals. It is clear to me, and will be evident to every other committed Christian, that you desperately want to find Jesus and salvation. You use 10 questions to try and prove God does not exist, because you have not found His mercy yet.
and per your bible there are potentially millions of people your god has intentionally made unable to “find his mercy”. So much for “mercy”. You should be aware that many on this forum have been Christians and have read their bible.  Your particular version of what you think your God “really” meant is just one more.

God is not human, therefore what we think is or isn't true or what is possible or impossible is not applicable.
You’re right, God isn’t human.  God is a fictional character with no evidence to support its existence.  Christians make up wht they want to on what they think is true or not, is possible or not. 

I know that at night when you go to sleep there is a feeling you have that something is missing. You go through life with a constant 'emptiness'. This you have tried to explain away, but guess what, God will never forsake you. That feeling will remain because God is real and His love is true.
Sorry to disapoitn you but no, I don’t feel this way at all.  I know you really hope I do, which is sad to hope anyone feels bad. But you need to since that would validate your fantasies.

He wants to care and give you salvation, but you must choose to live according to His way.
His way?  You know what his way is?  So why are there thousands of Christian sects all saying that only their way is the true on and that the others are not, all with the same amount of evidence this is the case, aka NONE?  And why should I think this god wants to do anything when he can’t even answer prayers as the bible promises?

I am a Christian and will stay true to Jesus, because I have felt his mercy, forgiveness and salvation. Today I speak to you because I know that as a Christian, I must share the truth and life that is Jesus with my fellow human beings. When you say the following aloud and "if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. "- Romans 10:9-10 "Dear God, I know that my sin has separated me from You. Thank you that Jesus Christ died in my place. I ask Jesus to forgive my sin and to come into my life. Please begin to direct my life. Thank you for giving me eternal life. In Jesus'name, Amen." I can guarantee that you will find the light and the Lord will help you to see He is alive.
No, you can’t guarantee any of this.  You claim you are staying true to Jesus but you only stay true to your assumption of what you think JC wants.  You share no “truth” but one more baseless opinion.   You offer one more magic spell of a prayer to get your god’s attention.  Well, Christian, I was once a Christian and when losing my faith, I prayed to this god for help.  And, got nothing.  Why is this?  Well, it’s because your magic spell fails and yoru god is imaginary, just like every other god.

As for your god “blessing” anything, why does that fail too?  Why doesn’t God “bless” the starving? The amputees?  Why is my life as good or better than so many Christians living in mud huts dying of dysentery in third world countries?
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 11:14:24 AM »
"Dear God, I know that my sin has separated me from You. Thank you that Jesus Christ died in my place. I ask Jesus to forgive my sin and to come into my life. Please begin to direct my life. Thank you for giving me eternal life. In Jesus'name, Amen." I can guarantee that you will find the light and the Lord will help you to see He is alive.
A GUARANTEE!!!

From what I have read from a number of WWGHA members who were Christians (most of them) they want to cash in on the guarantee and get their money back, so to speak.

Thank you for admitting that there is nothing reasonable about what you say:
God is not human, therefore what we think is or isn't true or what is possible or impossible is not applicable.
It's all on the level of feeling.  You, of course, cannot conceive of someone who distrusts their feelings.

What kind of emotion?  You answer clearly:
I know that at night when you go to sleep there is a feeling you have that something is missing. You go through life with a constant 'emptiness'.
You have an Imaginary Friend. How nice for you.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 11:51:16 AM »
It is clear to me, and will be evident to every other committed Christian, that you desperately want to find Jesus and salvation.
 He wants to care and give you salvation, but you must choose to live according to His way. I am a Christian and will stay true to Jesus, because I have felt his mercy, forgiveness and salvation. Today I speak to you because I know that as a Christian, I must share the truth and life that is Jesus with my fellow human beings. When you say the following aloud and "if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. "- Romans 10:9-10 "Dear God, I know that my sin has separated me from You. Thank you that Jesus Christ died in my place. I ask Jesus to forgive my sin and to come into my life. Please begin to direct my life. Thank you for giving me eternal life. In Jesus'name, Amen." I can guarantee that you will find the light and the Lord will help you to see He is alive.

Kev, as you can tell the issue of salvation is what I wish to focus on here. Please answer me these questions:

What is it that you believe man is in need of being saved from? And why?

How do you define death?

Are receiving salvation by confessing and believing in Jesus and receiving eternal life one and the same to you? If so, why does Jesus tell the teacher of the law in Luke 10:25-28 that he could receive eternal life by saying the man was correct in asserting that eternal life was attained by "loving Jehovah your God with your whole heart, life, strength, and mind, and your neighbor as yourself," nowhere mentioning a need to believe in or confess Jesus? In addition, why does Jesus in Matthew 25:31-40 describe those who will be rewarded with life in his kingdom not as those who believed and confessed him, but rather as those who loved their fellow man?

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 12:40:03 PM »

As your own book says, "Ask, and ye shall receive."

When you say the following aloud and "if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. "- Romans 10:9-10 "Dear God, I know that my sin has separated me from You. Thank you that Jesus Christ died in my place. I ask Jesus to forgive my sin and to come into my life. Please begin to direct my life. Thank you for giving me eternal life. In Jesus'name, Amen." I can guarantee that you will find the light and the Lord will help you to see He is alive.

I assume you won't be surprised to hear that you are not the first person to say this to us.  I will make the same counterproposal to you that I always do with any Christian who "challenges" me this way.

I will recite your prayer as you ask, and if I do, indeed, "see the light", I will freely acknowledge it and become a Christian.  However, if I recite your prayer and experience nothing, you, in turn, must utter the words, "I hereby speak against the Holy Ghost" and declare yourself an atheist.  You're asking me to place my entire worldview on the line; it is only fair that you do the same, is it not?

Furthermore, you agree that the mere fact that I have accepted your challenge does not in any way indicate or imply that I am actually a "believer in denial", one who does believe but simply does not wish to admit it for whatever reason, and you will make no such claim after I have recited your prayer.

So how about it?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:42:25 PM by pianodwarf »
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 03:37:51 PM »
Yes, you are right.  I want to find Jesus and salvation.  I spend many sleepless night knowing something is missing.  I have been fighting against God for so long.  I am so tired.  I want peace.  Jesus come into my life.  Make me full and like other true Christians who know of your love and mercy. ;)

Hey, let us know how that works for you.  That was my prayer long ago and apparently god is more of a procrastinator than I.  I have a whole boatload of christians praying for me and still god is too lazy to make me full.   Well, full of shit maybe, that's about all I got.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 03:54:03 PM »
I know that at night when you go to sleep there is a feeling you have that something is missing.

In My case at least, you are completely wrong about this.  Nothing is missing.

I can guarantee that you will find the light and the Lord will help you to see He is alive.

Are you offering a "double your intellectual integrity back" warranty with that, or are you just going to shrug and say something like "You didn't try hard enough" or "You didn't pray sincerely" when it doesn't happen?
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 04:46:31 PM »
I read a short story once which involved emotional certainty.  Basically, it was representatives of a "Federation" coming to Earth and offering gift after gift to prove their sincerity, and only asking in return that people open their minds and hearts to the aliens.  Most did; some didn't.  None of the ones who did survived, because it was all a scam designed to play on manipulating emotions (the gifts were a trap which was intended to quickly and easily kill off everyone so that the aliens could easily take over).

That does not mean I am accusing the writer, or the writer's religion, of being a scam.  After all, this was a fictional book.  But it should be evident why atheists and other people are reluctant to take stuff like this on faith.  Show the evidence to demonstrate that what you're saying is true, and then there'll be no problem.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +769/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 12:33:01 AM »
I know that at night when you go to sleep there is a feeling you have that something is missing.

No you don't know. I'm over 60 and I don't remember having such a feeling even once in my life. You are way too used to filling in the blanks with what you hope is true. For your beliefs to be legitimate, mine have to suck, and I have to suffer because I don't have your insight. You're the one who has to be loved by that guy who couldn't even die for your sins very good (as per your story, his death only lasted a few days. How is that a sacrifice).

You go through life with a constant 'emptiness'.

Beep! Wrong again. I would suggest you start looking at at least some of us as people who don't go through this imaginary turmoil that you are hoping for. Since I have neither the sense that something is missing nor the emptiness you previously ascribed to me as an atheist, I would suggest you reframe your frickin' belief system a bit. I know you won't, because the only way I, as an atheist, can fit into your life is if I follow your pre-formated template of misery and doubt, etc. That it doesn't exist is of no concern. Since your entire philosophy of life is made up, making up my misery is a cinch. And as you read this, all you need to do is say that I'm in denial and that makes up for any doubts I may have accidentally put in your head.

Whew, that was probably close. You almost listened to a heathen.

You can go back to your simple little world now, with it's simple little inadequate but pleasing explanations and enjoy your simple little beliefs that cause you to sleep as well as I do.

For the wrong reasons.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 02:17:03 AM »
Nick,

Luckily I'm prone to sarcasm, but if you're serious (and you will be eventually), e-mail me at kevinschroeder2011@hotmail.com. God Bless

I don't know. It kind of sounds like you are running away. Prove me wrong. The above seems to contradict this;

Today I speak to you because I know that as a Christian, I must share the truth and life that is Jesus with my fellow human beings.

You are given your opportunity here, but all you do is drop by and leave an e-mail address where "if we were serious" we should contact you, as if you will the all bringer of all hope and will lead us towards finding grace. And if we don't drop you an e-mail that'll mean we aren't serious, right? Even though if you even view this thread as a guest you will find some serious questions that we wish for you to address regarding your god, your savior and your religion. This forum is your best opportunity. Take advantage of it.

"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Onesimus

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • Endlessly striving to be a happy cartoon bear.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 02:27:17 AM »
Actually, this is one of the most Christian letters I've ever seen here.

Uh, I better explain what I mean.

The presumption is truly amazing; the writer absolutely can't conceive that other people might not have the same feelings they do, and therefore blissfully denies any alternatives.  The 10 questions go unanswered, and really, why should they be?  Answering the questions doesn't accomplish anything from the Christian point of view.  The only thing that counts is witnessing, witnessing, witnessing.  You must do it because God commands it.  You are called to witness, not to debate.  And this letter is all witness; not a shred of debate to be found anywhere. 

Having once had my brain in this formation, I'd wager that the writer felt a real sense of peace and accomplishment after writing it, confident that the will of God had been carried out and that souls would, eventually, be won.   

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 08:59:54 AM »
Quote from: Visitor

Desperately Seeking Jesus©
Starring: Luke Wilson as Jesus of Nazareth, Drew Barrymore as Mary Magdalene, Wendie Malick as Mother Mary.
Release Date: March 2, 2012

Summary: After the tragic crucifixion of Jesus (Wilson), follow Mary Magdalene (Barrymore) to the cave and to her discovery that Jesus is missing in her life. With the help of Mother Mary (Malick), they go on a journey of redemption throughout Jerusalem in search of Jesus. After being scorned and spat on by the Romans, Jesus appears in front of the women through a glowing halo out of thin air, but later hears the higher calling of himself as his own father and ascends through a glowing halo in the sky in order to be one with his creator, himself.

Producer/Director: Steven Spielberg
Special Effects: Industrial Light and Magic
Distribution: Warner Bros.

You use 10 questions to try and prove God does not exist, because you have not found His mercy yet. God is not human, therefore what we think is or isn't true or what is possible or impossible is not applicable.

Then, why think anything at all? God is not ... possible or impossible ... is not applicable. If it is merely possible, we should go ahead and believe it, right? Is that really your standard  for belief? Why not believe in Harry Potter? Zeus?

I know that at night when you go to sleep there is a feeling you have that something is missing. You go through life with a constant 'emptiness'. This you have tried to explain away, but guess what, God will never forsake you. That feeling will remain because God is real and His love is true. He wants to care and give you salvation, but you must choose to live according to His way.

Jibber-jabber. Vince sells sham-wows and slap-choppers better than this attempt to sell nothing for something.

Have you ever stepped back and thought about any of this stuff you repeat?

Oh, you are a live one, aren't you? You are unlikely to sign up, visit or post on the forum, and that's probably best for all concerned.

Sincere Regards and God Bless

I do take your remarks as sincere. It is obvious that you sincerely believe this and that you wish to assist us in some way with problems that you think we have but that we fail to recognize. Although my previous remarks might be considered crass, it is only because I have heard before all the sentiments you expressed above. Just rearrange the words a bit, choose a different bible verse, and you could be any of a thousand faceless individuals who believe in a jesus that never shows up for church on sunday, nor as himself as his father, god. Even Mary fails to make an appearance. We just aren't worth it. Oh, but yes, if we just have faith, we can go for the rest of our lives expecting Jesus of Nazareth to appear before us and when it never happens, well, we just weren't True ChristiansTM.   Meh.

I am a rational, logical person. Once you enter the land of logic, evidence and proof, you are truly set free.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 09:31:27 AM »
Desperately Seeking Jesus©
Starring: Luke Wilson as Jesus of Nazareth, Drew Barrymore as Mary Magdalene, Wendie Malick as Mother Mary.
Release Date: March 2, 2012

Summary: After the tragic crucifixion of Jesus (Wilson), follow Mary Magdalene (Barrymore) to the cave and to her discovery that Jesus is missing in her life. With the help of Mother Mary (Malick), they go on a journey of redemption throughout Jerusalem in search of Jesus. After being scorned and spat on by the Romans, Jesus appears in front of the women through a glowing halo out of thin air, but later hears the higher calling of himself as his own father and ascends through a glowing halo in the sky in order to be one with his creator, himself.

Producer/Director: Steven Spielberg
Special Effects: Industrial Light and Magic
Distribution: Warner Bros.

Sorry, Chronos, there will have to be some recasting.  The Gospels agree that the guy who appeared after the Crucifixion did not look like Jesus and had to talk people into it.  So if Luke Perry is playing the pre-Crucifixion Jesus, you will need another actor to play the resurrected one.

Offline Grogs

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 02:03:02 PM »
Dear Sir/ Mrs

I want to respond to the 10 question video online and recommend you read this attentively- since you said you want to speak to intellectuals.

Let us know when one shows up.  ;)

It is clear to me, and will be evident to every other committed Christian, that you desperately want to find Jesus and salvation. You use 10 questions to try and prove God does not exist, because you have not found His mercy yet. God is not human, therefore what we think is or isn't true or what is possible or impossible is not applicable.

Right, forget about all that logic and stuff. Just because it seems crazy doesn't mean that it really is.

I know that at night when you go to sleep there is a feeling you have that something is missing. You go through life with a constant 'emptiness'. This you have tried to explain away, but guess what, God will never forsake you.

Except, you know, after you die. Then he'll toss your ass into a fiery pit for all eternity. But he'll feel bad about it or something, right?

That feeling will remain because God is real and His love is true. He wants to care and give you salvation, but you must choose to live according to His way. I am a Christian and will stay true to Jesus, because I have felt his mercy, forgiveness and salvation. Today I speak to you because I know that as a Christian, I must share the truth and life that is Jesus with my fellow human beings. When you say the following aloud and "if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. "- Romans 10:9-10 "Dear God, I know that my sin has separated me from You. Thank you that Jesus Christ died in my place. I ask Jesus to forgive my sin and to come into my life. Please begin to direct my life. Thank you for giving me eternal life. In Jesus'name, Amen." I can guarantee that you will find the light and the Lord will help you to see He is alive.

Let me see if I have this straight. God gives us eternal life, but he has also decided that we're dirty sinners who deserve to be tortured for all of that eternal life. But wait! It's OK because if you say the magic words and worship him, he might decide not to torture you eternally. God is so nice that he's willing to spare us the eternal torment that he has decreed we deserve. Gee, thanks.

As others on this forum have pointed out, that's as bad as a mafia protection racket. Pay us protection money every month or something awful will happen to you or your store = worship me or something awful will happen to your soul. It's actually even worse than a mafia protection racket. At least with the mafia, you know that they exist and their threats are real. If you don't pay up, a couple of goons are likely to come by and rough you up or bust up your store. Christianity is like a protection racket where you never see the actual mafia. Other store owners will tell you that you better leave the protection money in an envelope outside the door or else someday the mafia really truly will come by and burn down your store. Of course, nobody has actually seen the mafia, and the only stores that have been burned down were in another town that nobody can seem to recall the name of. But they're real darn it, so you better pay up or else you'll be sorry!

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 05:07:15 PM »
Sorry, Chronos, there will have to be some recasting.  The Gospels agree that the guy who appeared after the Crucifixion did not look like Jesus and had to talk people into it.  So if Luke Perry is playing the pre-Crucifixion Jesus, you will need another actor to play the resurrected one.

Michael Cera?
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 05:43:19 PM »
Michael Cera?
Too young.  Maybe we can have a flash back to when he was younger and ...

Hey, just what did Jesus do for his first 30 years??  Didn't he know who he was?

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 09:17:13 PM »
Too young.  Maybe we can have a flash back to when he was younger and ...

John Waters

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 09:19:57 PM »
Willem Defoe played the definitive jesus.

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Online Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 12:46:30 AM »
Nick,

Hey Ken. Before we get to that...try answering the ten questions. You know, actually addressing them. I think there's a very good reason you haven't. Because you can't. You can't answer them because they deal with the reality the god described in the bible cannot possibly exist.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Onesimus

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • Endlessly striving to be a happy cartoon bear.
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 02:15:59 AM »
Hey Ken. Before we get to that...try answering the ten questions. You know, actually addressing them. I think there's a very good reason you haven't. Because you can't. You can't answer them because they deal with the reality the god described in the bible cannot possibly exist.

Why would he bother trying?  God made no such requirement.  God only requires Ken to preach to us.

I may be falling into the same trap that Ken falls into by assuming that I know how people think, but in this case it's a feeling I have known all too well.  It's that little strangulated groan a Christian makes when he's been confronted with a question he can't possibly answer.  You can hear it a lot on The Atheist Experience, from callers who twist and turn every which way and finally hang up in barely-disguised defeat.  They are not thinking that it behooves them to answer the question; that's not part of the equation.  They are thinking that they have just failed in their witness and that this failure may result in a soul damned to eternal hell.  They are thinking that God might be displeased with their performance.  These are utterly terrifying thoughts.  Who has time for silly debates about milk jugs when HELL IS OPENING UP TO SWALLOW A VICTIM BEFORE OUR VERY EYES?

That's the thing about Christianity.  It gives you this utterly false sense of peace and security, but it does so upon a foundation of utterly morbid fear.  And rather than see that as a conflict with no resolution, Christians simply see it as two sides of one coin.  For those who never went through it, I doubt there's any way to further explain what it's like.

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 11:22:20 PM »
Hey, just what did Jesus do for his first 30 years??  Didn't he know who he was?

Supposedly he was a carpenter but no one ever started selling tables and chairs "made by Jesus™" Every year you just happen to find more and more "artifacts" left by Jesus to sell to all those pilgrims. To give tours to people to visit the house of Jesus' home town... and to talk to those that knew him personally. Yup, no one ever did that. Kinda makes one wonder why, if he was what the bible claims he was.

Online Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 10:42:23 AM »

Why would he bother trying?  God made no such requirement.  God only requires Ken to preach to us.

And obviously the only way we are going to listen is if he answers the questions. It isn't preaching if the audience will not listen.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
Sorry, Chronos, there will have to be some recasting. 

this could be a whole thread.

pre-crux jesus... David Letterman
post-crux jesus... jonah hill (fat version.  nobody wants to see a skinny jonah hill.)

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2011, 04:41:34 PM »
... I'd wager that the writer felt a real sense of peace and accomplishment after writing it, confident that the will of God had been carried out and that souls would, eventually, be won.   

Sounds like the plan to occupy Iraq.