Author Topic: Atheistwatch  (Read 1026 times)

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
Atheistwatch
« on: November 06, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »
If you want to gauge the intellect of the opposition, check out the spelling mistakes on their website, Hilarious.

http://atheistwatch.blogspot.com/2011/08/if-atheism-is-not-organized-movment-why.html
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
Re: Atheistwatch
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 04:20:25 PM »
If you want to gauge the intellect of the opposition, check out the spelling mistakes on their website, Hilarious.

http://atheistwatch.blogspot.com/2011/08/if-atheism-is-not-organized-movment-why.html

"Dawkins had 2 points he wanted to make, one, =That reducible and sarcasm are useful tools in confronting religious people, and second, that we have to raise consciousness about atheism."

Ugh.

One of the articles the site links to.

http://www.firstthings.com/article/2010/04/believe-it-or-not

Fuck this shit is trite.

Ungod, I'll get you for putting this stuff into my head if it's the last thing I do. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I need to go plunge my skull into anti-matter.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:26:06 PM by Alzael »
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »
I found its twin!
http://jewwatch.com/

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 04:31:26 PM »
This is the thing that drives me crazy. No matter how many times we answer their questions, they ask them again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

Thank goodness another generation of atheists is coming to the fore so they can take over answering the same questions again, and again, and....
Denis Loubet

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +602/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 04:35:56 PM »
I dunno, it's quote humorous if you look at it the right way.  I mean, the guy quoted Dawkins correctly, and not two sentences later, couldn't spell ridicule correctly.  And he's got three separate misspellings in his tags.  All in all, this so-called "hate watch" site does more damage to his cause than it does to the supposed mass-movement of atheism that he's trying to point out.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 04:43:22 PM »
I dunno, it's quote humorous if you look at it the right way.

Humourous, undoubtedly. It still does not make it any less trite, annoying, or mind-rapingly stupid however.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +105/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 10:06:53 PM »

Congratulations.  I didn't realize atheists needed watching.  :)

Sincerely.

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 06:41:12 AM »

This is the thing that drives me crazy. No matter how many times we answer their questions, they ask them again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

Thank goodness another generation of atheists is coming to the fore so they can take over answering the same questions again, and again, and....

I wonder, if the rate of new atheists/non-believers will ever outpace the rate of indoctrinated individuals?
The Second C

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 09:38:39 AM »
I should give you a Darwin smite for that.

The term is P.R.A.T.T (Point Refuted A Thousand Times).

You only have 52 "again"s.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 10:05:06 AM »
In his profile under "favorite music" he has "Mauler Telemann Stravenski Bach boys (PapaJohan Christian and PDQ)"

Mauler?  Not MahlerWiki
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 10:35:11 AM »
I notice that Atheist Watch includes the Poe site, Shelley the Republican.

As with any good Poe it is, by definition[1], hard to tell the difference.  I submit Shelley's versions of the frustrations of Linux as my evidence:

http://shelleytherepublican.com/problems/the-definitive-review-of-ubuntu-linux-804-hardy-heron

1. There!  One of the few times that anyone has used that argument correctly.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 10:50:35 AM »
I found its twin!
http://jewwatch.com/

Oh, shit, LOL. It is so funny that you posted that. About a year ago I took my kid to a little birthday party, and this creepy-ass middle-aged Armenian guy started hitting on me (saying his wife knew that he had affairs, so it was OK), and claiming that the Jews were responsible for 9/11 and the collapse of the economy. He handed me a card with his name on it and wrote that website on the back. Oh, yeah, and he claimed that the Holocaust never happened. Anyway, I think of him as the "Jew Watch" guy. The scary thing is that my mom is currently dating a guy really similar to the one I just described...  :o
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 04:10:41 PM »
For people who are impatient, here is Atheist Watch's sysop:

He complains:
They {atheists} don't even read more than two lines of a post.
That comes at the end of this:
this is the little gimmick that atheists are using on ever single message board. They get it from their moronic guru Dawkins who himself is an idiot.

They don't bother with logic, they violate logical norms in every argument they make then worm out by saying "logic doesn't tell us nothing about the world." It's beginning to look like the new atheist movement is based upon being stupid.
by their fruits you shall know them. Jesus said. Their fruits are ignorance and laziness.

Then that atheist goes "I read your stuff it's so standard it's the same old stuff they always say." It's not. I have a Masters degree from a major seminary I know what is standard. How many times do you find the average Christian apologist on a message board saying God is being itself? In 13 years of doing apologetic on the net the only one's ever seen talk about it are those who were influenced by me.

the allegation that my stuff is like all the others is obvious bunk. The refusal of atheists to read the martial presented is becoming epidemic. They don't even read more than two lines of a post. They wont read the arguments being arrayed against them and yet they pretend to know all it. It's ridiculously intolerable. They should be banned from every message board. I urge Christians to boycott. Have nothing to do with atheists. Don't talk to them on message boards.

Is there a whiff of postmodernism there?

Offline Emergence

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • do i look impressed?
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 04:26:41 PM »
Is there a whiff of postmodernism there?

There is a whiff of Christian Existentialism a'la Paul TillichWiki:

Quote from: Wikipedia
[...]

God Above God

Throughout most of his works Paul Tillich provides an apologetic and alternative ontological view of God. Traditional medieval philosophical theology in the work of figures such as St. Anselm, Thomas Aquinas, Duns Scotus, and William of Ockham tended to understand God as the highest existing Being[citation needed], to which predicates such as omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence, goodness, righteousness, holiness, etc. may be ascribed. Arguments for and against the existence of God presuppose such an understanding of God. Tillich is critical of this mode of discourse which he refers to as "theological theism," and argues that if God is a Being [das Seiende], even if the highest Being, God cannot be properly called the source of all being, and the question can of course then be posed as to why God exists, who created God, when God's beginning is, and so on. To put the issue in traditional language: if God is a being [das Seiende], then God is a creature, even if the highest one, and thus cannot be the Creator. Rather, God must be understood as the "ground of Being-Itself." [...]
Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal.
Arthur Schopenhauer

EurekAlert - Science News / Public Library of Science / Scholarpedia

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 07:52:18 PM »
From the previous Atheist Watch quote:
They don't bother with logic, they violate logical norms in every argument they make then worm out by saying "logic doesn't tell us nothing about the world." It's beginning to look like the new atheist movement is based upon being stupid.

So irritatingly ironic. Theists come onto this site every damn day who fit that description. Just take the word "atheist" in his statement and replace it with "Christian."

Then that atheist goes "I read your stuff it's so standard it's the same old stuff they always say." It's not. I have a Masters degree from a major seminary I know what is standard.

It is the same old stuff they always say, because they are spoonfed that bullshit. LOL, great, he has a Masters degree in what...mythology as reality?  &)
The dude/chick needs to learn to separate sentences and punctuate properly. So much for that degree...
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-1
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 12:44:57 AM »
At the bottom of the page linked in the OP, the author (of the linked page, not the OP) says "yesterday on carm an atheist said I insulted Einstein's intelligence becuase I said he believed in God." I got curious about this, and tried to locate that discussion. I haven't found it yet, but I did find some gems by this same author on carm.org. The guy is quite a prolific poster (17K posts on carm). He touts his masters degree a lot, often in ways that don't inspire confidence that he really has one. He says it's from SMU, Perkins School of Theology. You'd think that someone would need better grammar and spelling skills to get a degree from a respectable school like SMU. But I suppose it's not impossible. Nutjobs with genuine degrees are not unheard of.

For your entertainment, here are some fine examples of him extolling his status as an expert:

I studied at Ph.D. level in history of scinece, I know more about scinece than you do. You think knowing scinece is just a mater of knowing a list of facts. that means you don't know what scinece is or what's it's about.
Spinoza's god was not a god at all it is another word for nature.
YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY CREDENTIALS IN THEOLOGY. i DO! i HAVE A MASTERS DEGREE FORM A MAJOR SEMINARY. i AM QUALIFIED TO SAY WHAT IS A VALID THEOLOGICAL IDEA AND WHAT IS NOT.
You know nothing at all about theology. you don't know squat about it. your understanding level in theology is less than a first grade understanding. it' nothing.

you have no credentials and I have a Masters degree. no that doesn't I'm always right it does mean I know theology and you have no right tot tell me anything about it.
I see you have learned to parrot back what you near these no knowing saying. Because they don't read theology and none of you has ever been to a seminary just by the general hatred you feel for Christians you assume you know more about it than someone who received Masters at a major seminary?

that's really brilliant. I know more than you do about scinece.

get it through your head little pretender. You don't know anything about ethology. you haven't read a single page. you can't name a theologian. you wouldn't have the sliest idea what you are talking about. I am spitting back the things I was tough in seminary by major theolgoians in the Methodist curacy how dare you try to tell me that you know more than I do? You don't know ****!

You would not know a single thing about theological concepts if one git you where you sit and gave you a head ache. you don't know **** from shinola about theology. have a Masters in it.
get this through your little head, free press. University of Texas at Dallas is a state school! get it?

SMU is Methodist it has a fine rating. ti's a good school. as tough you know anyting about schools.

There are many more examples of this, but that's enough for one post. He seems to be somewhat obsessed with it, and sometimes seems to get a little unhinged about it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 12:50:34 AM by Willie »

Offline Xero-Kill

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Wait... what?
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 01:29:49 AM »
"Scinence" haha... fucking brilliant! I guess he isn't technically lying... no one knows "scinence" quite as well as he does. I wouldn't criticize at all if it was a one-time error, but he types it that way every single time. Makes me giggle.
"Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God? You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen."

~Tyler Durden

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 07:42:48 AM »
Nutjobs with genuine degrees are not unheard of.
I hate to wander into the territory of illiterates with envy so I will state that I am usually impressed by impressive educations.  But....

To be a scholar requires 10,000 hours of holing up with books, reading, reading, reading. 

Psychologically who can do that well.

1) Classic introvert, wimp, geek, nerds.  Like a British paleontologist I heard decades ago on TV who accounted for the massive musculature of Neanderthals as them being very stupid and inefficient and they had to spend all day, day after day,  walking and walking and walking.  He meant this seriously.  Walking and starvation will produce upper body strength.  I interpreted him as the skinny kid the bigger boys bullied and his mockery of the Neanderthals was his way of getting back at a childhood trauma. Social ineptitude produces a nut job with a hypersensitivity to criticism.

At my college there was a history teacher with a doctorate who had submitted a formal paper that UFOs had landed in China and bred with some Chinese and this was the Chinese imperial family and civilizations far away as ancient Egypt had negotiated to get Chinese princesses as wives so they could bread the UFO blood into their royal lines.  He was quite good at math, however, and I assisted him a bit in the computer lab as he worked on a project to prove that 300 years of astronomy was wrong.  Kepler had guessed that orbits were elliptical.  The fact that 300 years of navigation would not work not to speak of astronomical observation did not deter him.  He spent months trying to prove that the planets move in an egg shaped curve.  He was a very short man, maybe 5'3".  When I told him that Kepler had tried all sorts of ovals and did not jump to a conclusion he snapped and cut me off.  Criticism was just more bullying by us big guys.  (I talked to a girl who had his world history class.  She said it was a painful experience.)

2) Asperger's syndrome.  Aka high functioning autism.  Aka idiot savants. Aka absent minded professor syndrome.  As an example of absent minded professors, Adam Smith (The Wealth of Nations 1776) once had an interesting thought as he was getting dressed one morning and walked out thru the town following it till someone told him he had forgotten his trousers.  People with this syndrome can intensively follow a narrow field of thought without distraction but have no common sense.

3) White balling.  How in heaven did Carlos Castaneda get a doctorate in anthropology at UCLA for claiming magic was real including levitation and invisibility spells?  I read an article in Playboy, I think it was by his debunker, Richard DeMille.  When you try to get a doctorate you must have a faculty advisor.   He is supposed to edit or reject.  The other professors are supposed to have a kind of trial to accept or reject a doctoral candidate.  But the deal is, if you reject my bad candidate, I will reject your next good candidate.  Hence, criticism of the candidate at the hearing can be savage, but the vote is almost always favorable.  The real importance of grilling a bad candidate is to embarrass the faculty advisor for supporting him.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 08:07:57 AM by Historicity »

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 08:50:12 AM »
It is hilarious that he keeps talking about his credentials and Masters degree, yet his command of English is at about a sixth grade level.

I might have to go poke him.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 09:08:10 AM »
I have a sharp stick if you need one but I know where you can get harpoons cheaply if you prefer.
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 03:59:34 PM »
In his profile under "favorite music" he has "Mauler Telemann Stravenski Bach boys (PapaJohan Christian and PDQ)"

Mauler?  Not MahlerWiki?
Stravenski? Bach boys - is that The Beach boys?  :laugh:
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 04:13:41 PM »
It is hilarious that he keeps talking about his credentials and Masters degree, yet his command of English is at about a sixth grade level.

I checked out the Institution from which this loon claims to have gotten a Masters Degree.

Perkins Theological School

Master of Theological Studies (M.T.S.)

The Master of Theological Studies (M.T.S.) degree program is designed to provide a
basic understanding of the theological disciplines as a foundation for further
graduate study, for enhancement of lay leadership roles or for personal enrichment.
The degree requirements are designed to ensure some breadth of exposure to the
various disciplines of theological study, while at the same time allowing each
student to fashion a plan of study that serves her or his particular interests and
goals.

Requirements for Admission:

The requirements for admission to the M.T.S. program are the same as those for the
M.Div. program, excluding 2.
The requirements for graduation are that the student must complete 48 term hours of
approved coursework, with a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0 and that six term hours
of this work must be completed in each of three of the four divisions of the course
of study. The prerequisites for each course must be met.

Hmmm, 48 hours of study for a MASTERS DEGREE! The Perkins School of Theology does claim "Higher Learning", But I suppose in 48 hours you really can't expect a lot better than

Horrophying thoughts form atheists (with apolgizes to Hermit)
I hate to kick up this fuss but I think it has to be done. I know Hermit gets angry at me when I imply that atheist are Nais.

I've got to investigate further - this looks a great laugh mine.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 04:28:28 PM »
Nutjobs with genuine degrees are not unheard of.
I hate to wander into the territory of illiterates with envy so I will state that I am usually impressed by impressive educations.  But....

To be a scholar requires 10,000 hours of holing up with books, reading, reading, reading. 

Psychologically who can do that well.

1) Classic introvert, wimp, geek, nerds.  Like a British paleontologist I heard decades ago on TV who accounted for the massive musculature of Neanderthals as them being very stupid and inefficient and they had to spend all day, day after day,  walking and walking and walking.  He meant this seriously.  Walking and starvation will produce upper body strength.  I interpreted him as the skinny kid the bigger boys bullied and his mockery of the Neanderthals was his way of getting back at a childhood trauma. Social ineptitude produces a nut job with a hypersensitivity to criticism.

At my college there was a history teacher with a doctorate who had submitted a formal paper that UFOs had landed in China and bred with some Chinese and this was the Chinese imperial family and civilizations far away as ancient Egypt had negotiated to get Chinese princesses as wives so they could bread the UFO blood into their royal lines.  He was quite good at math, however, and I assisted him a bit in the computer lab as he worked on a project to prove that 300 years of astronomy was wrong.  Kepler had guessed that orbits were elliptical.  The fact that 300 years of navigation would not work not to speak of astronomical observation did not deter him.  He spent months trying to prove that the planets move in an egg shaped curve.  He was a very short man, maybe 5'3".  When I told him that Kepler had tried all sorts of ovals and did not jump to a conclusion he snapped and cut me off.  Criticism was just more bullying by us big guys.  (I talked to a girl who had his world history class.  She said it was a painful experience.)

2) Asperger's syndrome.  Aka high functioning autism.  Aka idiot savants. Aka absent minded professor syndrome.  As an example of absent minded professors, Adam Smith (The Wealth of Nations 1776) once had an interesting thought as he was getting dressed one morning and walked out thru the town following it till someone told him he had forgotten his trousers.  People with this syndrome can intensively follow a narrow field of thought without distraction but have no common sense.

3) White balling.  How in heaven did Carlos Castaneda get a doctorate in anthropology at UCLA for claiming magic was real including levitation and invisibility spells?  I read an article in Playboy, I think it was by his debunker, Richard DeMille.  When you try to get a doctorate you must have a faculty advisor.   He is supposed to edit or reject.  The other professors are supposed to have a kind of trial to accept or reject a doctoral candidate.  But the deal is, if you reject my bad candidate, I will reject your next good candidate.  Hence, criticism of the candidate at the hearing can be savage, but the vote is almost always favorable.  The real importance of grilling a bad candidate is to embarrass the faculty advisor for supporting him.

Overeducated black science nerd, introverted, generally anti-social but can fake it. Have never left house without pants. Hmmm. I wonder which category I fit into?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 06:53:52 PM »
Hmmm, 48 hours of study for a MASTERS DEGREE! The Perkins School of Theology does claim "Higher Learning", But I suppose in 48 hours you really can't expect a lot better than
A good friend of mine is continuing his college education for another two years to get his masters in history.  He'll be in for a total of six years and he might feel a little ripped off spending so much money on his degree when he could have just spent two days getting his theology major.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 11:56:08 PM »

the student must complete 48 term hours... 

Hmmm, 48 hours of study for a MASTERS DEGREE!

bold mine.  In all fairness, it does say "term hours".  A hundred years ago when I was in college, we had "credit hours".  It roughly correlated to the number of hours you spend in class a week.  A normal class was 4 credit hours. Labs were 1. 12 was the minimum we could take to be considered full time.  Anything over 20 and they'd charge extra.  Many grad level classes were 3, so you had to take more of them.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-1
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 03:39:56 AM »
That makes sense. I'm guessing term hours are the same (or very close to the same) as credit hours. 12 credit hours * 2 semesters * 2 years = 48 credit hours. This is presumably in addition to having already completed a 4-year undergrad degree, so it seems believable as a minimum requirement for a masters.

At any rate, SMU is a well known and well respected school with a 100 year history. (Beautiful campus with a nice art museum too.) The doubtful thing here is not the legitimacy of the school, just the legitimacy of his claim to have a degree from there.