Author Topic: Suggestions [#2612]  (Read 727 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
Suggestions [#2612]
« on: November 04, 2011, 06:31:51 AM »
I have a suggestion for the "Proof #18 - Imagine heaven"
(http://godisimaginary.com/i18.htm):
Suggest readers to watch the "#28 - A Nice Place to Visit" The
Twilight Zone episode.

And I have a suggestion for the "Proof #46 - Ponder Pascal's Wager"
(http://godisimaginary.com/i46.htm):
Get ideas that can be added from the "Atheist's wager" Wasteland Of
Wonders page, which can be found in:
(http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/wager.html), or by opening
the Wasteland Of Wonders homepage, then clicking on Enter, Atheism
then Theism then Pascal's Wager - gambling on God (24/7/98).

Note: There is a website named "Wasteland Of Wonders" (original URL:
http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/), it is now offline, but I have
uploaded a snapshot of that site here:
http://www.box.net/shared/6zi9h5qxco
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
Re: Suggestions [#2612]
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:27:53 PM »
Let's see.  That's the Twilight Zone episode with the career criminal in heaven who tries to repeat his shallow life and finds he becomes bored with it.  He even finds the the houris he's supplied with really are airheads and are the live equivalent of blowup dolls (which hadn't been made by the time of the show).

His life was one of enjoying the sense of trespass, scoring at gambling meant taking someone's money, burglary meant stealing someone's property.  In heaven he couldn't hurt anyone and they wouldn't even give him the video game experience of sometimes losing so he could pretend it was a real conflict.

My thought on watching it was while he could have any music he wanted, he had no taste for it.  Could you spend infinity on exploring an infinity of music? 

The Pure Land of the Amitabha denomination of Buddhism says you will be sent to heaven in order to get bored so you'll really want to go to Nirvana.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 11:42:37 PM »
I have a suggestion

as do I, unsolicited Zip files are foolish to open.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Lawand

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • Rationalist
    • Personal Homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »
@Historicity: I don't know about Buddhism, but the point of the episode (, which I would say was brilliantly expressed,) is that when a man went into heaven; the place which is often described as one in which man always gets what he wants, he wasn't able to stand it. I suggested suggesting readers to view this episode because it shows that, even if there was a heaven, people won't stand it.

@Hatter23: It's ironic that during your knowledge-of-computer-security showoff, you succeeded in displaying complete ignorance of the mere basics.

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 04:56:02 PM »
I have a suggestion for the "Proof #18 - Imagine heaven". Suggest readers to watch the "#28 - A Nice Place to Visit" The Twilight Zone episode.
Good idea; but none of us here on the Forum have any control over the WWGHA source material. There are a number of ways it could be improved, but as far as I know the author has never updated it.

Welcome to the Forum.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 01:46:06 PM »

@Hatter23: It's ironic that during your knowledge-of-computer-security showoff, you succeeded in displaying complete ignorance of the mere basics.

I don't know. Therefore I don't make assumptions. So fuck off.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 04:23:42 PM »
@Historicity: I don't know about Buddhism, but the point of the episode (, which I would say was brilliantly expressed,) is that when a man went into heaven; the place which is often described as one in which man always gets what he wants, he wasn't able to stand it. I suggested suggesting readers to view this episode because it shows that, even if there was a heaven, people won't stand it.

You have brilliantly expressed that you see what you want to see in something.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 04:28:29 PM »
Let's see.  That's the Twilight Zone episode with the career criminal in heaven who tries to repeat his shallow life and finds he becomes bored with it.  He even finds the the houris he's supplied with really are airheads and are the live equivalent of blowup dolls (which hadn't been made by the time of the show).

His life was one of enjoying the sense of trespass, scoring at gambling meant taking someone's money, burglary meant stealing someone's property.  In heaven he couldn't hurt anyone and they wouldn't even give him the video game experience of sometimes losing so he could pretend it was a real conflict.

I remember that episode.  It ended with this dialogue (not verbatim, of course) between the career criminal and his "personal assistant", the guy assigned to give him everything he wants.

Criminal:  Arrgh!  I can't take this anymore, this place is driving me crazy!  I don't belong here!  ...Yes... yes, that's it!  I don't belong in heaven!  I want to go to the other place!

Assistant:  Heaven?  Whoever said you were in heaven, Mr. Davis?  This IS the other place!

So you're mistaken about the criminal being in heaven and thus overlooking a very important point that the ep was making.

EDIT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Nice_Place_to_Visit
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Lawand

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • Rationalist
    • Personal Homepage
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 05:00:11 PM »
@Historicity and pianodwarf:
I may have misexpressed myself.
Let's forget what the point of the episode is, and let's focus on how it was portrayed that a man went into a place which most, if not all, major religions describe as (more or less) heaven. In other words, a place in which you can get everything you want all the time. But he, naturally enough, was only able to enjoy it for a brief period of time before getting fed up with it, and not being able to stand it anymore.
We can see that in the episode, regardless of what the point of the episode is and regardless of other details. I mean, sure it turned out as "the other place", but that also says what I am saying. In other words, what people usually consider heaven is actually more or less hell.

So, all I am saying now is that this supports that idea of imagining heaven and thinking about it and finding out that it doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 05:06:00 PM by Lawand »

Offline Lawand

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • Rationalist
    • Personal Homepage
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 05:01:07 PM »

I don't know. Therefore I don't make assumptions. So fuck off.

Oh, so you don't know, and yet you state it as a fact. Thanks a lot!

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 05:14:22 PM »

How so? It's pretty well known that viruses and malicious software can be packaged in .zip files. So we are supposed to take your suggestion and open this "offline page" anyways, without worry about our systems? Where was Hatter's ignorance? Should we just take the suggestion from anyone on the interwebz? If so then it shows your ignorance of the mere basics.

BTW: I downloaded that page because I am a completely arrogant Linux user so I feel i have little to fear about viruses' etc. First of all the page layout sucks. Was it made in MS Frontpage or something. Second: Why should the author of the video take suggestions from your (or this) site?

Oh, so you don't know, and yet you state it as a fact. Thanks a lot!

They are pretty foolish to open, and who knows what you could have laced that file with. Would you open a zip file that just popped up in your mailbox one day? I should hope you wouldn't.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 05:26:48 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +540/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 08:34:19 AM »
Easy, easy.  There's no point in getting in an argument over it.  The point's been made that it can be dangerous to open unsolicited zip files.  It's can also be dangerous to simply browse websites now, I've had to fix malware infections for other people that came from sites that looked perfectly normal until you clicked on them.

Do I think Lawand planted a trojan in this zip file?  No.  Do I recommend opening unsolicited zip files based on a letter and a few posts about it?  No.  Caveat browser - let the browser beware[1].
 1. If the Romans had had something like the Internet, we would probably have an official Latin saying for it.

Offline Lawand

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • Rationalist
    • Personal Homepage
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 09:36:01 AM »
First of all the page layout sucks. Was it made in MS Frontpage or something. Second: Why should the author of the video take suggestions from your (or this) site?

Did you read the actual article?