Author Topic: The Chicken or the Egg  (Read 548 times)

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
The Chicken or the Egg
« on: November 04, 2011, 12:02:02 AM »
Which came first?

I will give one free +thumb to the first person who answers this question correctly.

If the correct answer has not been provided by the 20th post I will provide the correct answer and one free -thumb[1] to each incorrect answer.

...Begin
 1. Not really
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Navarattti

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Atheist
Re: The Chicken or the Egg
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 12:16:07 AM »
The egg. We had eggs long before chickens even evolved.
If everything that is considered good considers you evil, are you?

Offline thunderridge

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 12:42:38 AM »
The chicken came first.  This fertilized the female that she may lay the egg.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 02:00:50 AM »
A case can be made for egg, because the immediate ancestors of chickens laid eggs. One could even imagine the very first chicken hatching from an egg laid by something that was almost, but not quite, a chicken. The problem is that the boundary between not-quite-chickens and barely-chickens is not so sharply defined. And the idea of a first chicken is problematic because whatever offspring it had would have been the result of it mating with with a not-quite-chicken, meaning some of the first chicken's offspring could be chickens, and others not chickens. It could even happen that ALL of the first chicken's offspring are not-quite chickens, so that there's a gap between the first and second chicken. It's also possible that the first bird that meets the definition of "chicken" might not produce ANY offspring, such that all chickens trace their lineage back to a later, independently mutated second (or third, fourth, etc.) chicken instead of the first. And then there's a problem with definitions. Do we define "chicken egg" as an egg layed by a chicken, or as an egg from which a chicken hatched?

I think it was someone on this forum who made an analogy that this is a bit like trying to identify the first person to speak French. It would take a pretty contrived definition of "French" to be able to distinguish the very first french speaker from all of the almost-French speakers with whom he communicated just fine.

So I suppose the best answer is that there is neither a first chicken nor a first chicken egg, but just a very fuzzy transition involving many individuals in a very un-smooth progression in which individual offspring could be either more, or less, chicken-like than their parents, but with chicken-like features becoming more frequent in the population.

On the other hand, the phrasing of the question just said "egg", and not "chicken egg". That loophole makes "egg" the correct answer, even if it isn't the most explanatory answer, or the answer that you're looking for.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 06:24:44 AM »
The road..... ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 06:33:32 AM »
It was the chicken that must have come first as the formation of eggs is only possible thanks to a protein found in the chicken’s ovaries.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +512/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 08:32:26 AM »
Neither.  Reptiles came first.

Offline relativetruth

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 09:26:06 AM »

You mean Dinosaurs. Modern reptiles are not necessarily the same thing.
God(s) exist and are imaginary

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 09:52:52 AM »
The chicken came first.  This fertilized the female that she may lay the egg.

I am assuming that you meant Rooster. The rooster came first.

Thanks for playing, you've all been great...just great  ;D
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 10:52:40 AM »

You mean Dinosaurs. Modern reptiles are not necessarily the same thing.

No, reptiles came first.  The dinosaurs were an offshoot of the reptiles.  Cold-blooded reptiles such as lizards and crocodiles continued on in parallel.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 10:59:52 AM »
How big is a single celled creature?

The human ovum is the largest human cell and can just barely be seen with the naked eye.

The answer is the ostrich egg is the largest single celled creature.

All multicellular life is a derivation of single celled life which developed colonies -- like the slime mold --colonies used chemical signals to cause some colony members to differentiate, specialize, and even commit suicide for the good of the whole.  Slime mold develop fruiting bodies which release new members as single cells on the wind.

Just add some connecting tissue.

So the egg (=single cell) came first.

"The chicken was the egg's idea for reproducing its own kind."
------- Anonymous