Author Topic: MUSIC your favourite cover versions  (Read 2062 times)

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
MUSIC your favourite cover versions
« on: November 02, 2011, 10:45:32 PM »
My suggestion is post the original (or most famous/standard version) track at the top,

and then post your favoured cover version/s  :)

I'll start with a very apt atheist forum song.

like one of the comments states   
"there doesn't have to be a god for this to be a great song ........like you don't have to believe in The Force for Star Wars to be a great movie"
Spirit in the Sky   Norman Greenbaum 1969

beautiful bauhaus mad

George Thorogood meets Norman? with ZZ top backing them when drunk (tube comment that's not far wrong)

"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
Re: MUSIC your favourite cover versions
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 10:52:05 PM »
Fun topic.

Most famous:

Original:

"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 11:38:07 PM »
Soundgarden

Vs.

Johny Cash

Guns n Roses

Vs.

Richard Cheese

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
  • You know
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 01:51:03 AM »
OG version:

The version everyone knows:

My favorite version:

Perfect for family functions and cookouts.  After a few beers, it's very hard not to sing along.
Nah son...

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
  • You know
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 02:18:54 AM »
For us hipity hop (c)rap music type people, covers really don't make a lot of sense.  Rappers are expected to come with mostly original lyrics and so we don't tend to do straight covers.[1] Instead we tend to just take things from each other and nod at the source.  So here's the OG version:

And here's the "cover":

They used one of the hooks and recreated the beat using the same sample, which is from this here:

And even that one is a variation of the Mad Mad riddim, which, wouldn't you know it, goes back to.....Alton Ellis[2]:

1. Snoop's almost word for word cover of Slick Rick and Doug E Fresh's "Ladidadi" being the exception that proves the rule
 2. It's a conspiracy.
Nah son...

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 06:37:36 AM »

This man is very beard.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 08:43:22 PM »
Cool thread. A few come to mind.

Ozzy Osbourne - Over the Mountain

Vs.

Gloomy Grim - Over the Mountain

System of a Down - Aerials

Vs.

Amon Amarth - Aerials

Twisted Sister - Burn in Hell

Vs.

Dimmu Borgir - Burn in Hell

King Diamond - The Trial

Vs.

Dark Funeral - The Trial

Burzum - War

Vs.

Rossija - War

And I have a TON more!

Maybe not a cover per say, but there Suffocation’s drummer Mike Smith has a rap side-project named Grimm Real, and he took  a riff from Suffocation’s song Liege of Inveracity and made a beat and rap song called Infected. Since I know Timo is the master of rap/hip-hop here, it would be greatly appreciated if you could tell me your opinion, if Mike Smith is good as a rapper or if he should just stick to drumming.

Suffocation - Liege of Inveracity

Vs.

Grimm Real - Infected

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 09:37:06 PM »
thanks folks

my greatest delight in covers is when I end up wishing I could be a fly on the wall of the original artists when they first get to hear the cover version.

Some truly classic subverts

Rolling Stones

Vs  Devo

Elvis

Vs John Cale
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
  • You know
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 10:47:12 PM »
@Death over Life

I think dude's cool.  He's got a strong voice (kind of reminds me of Immortal Technique) and works with more or less El-P's crammed up too many syllables type of flow.  And he's got some nice lines in there.  I particularly liked the thoughts clashing like dog fights one.  So I think he should do both.
Nah son...

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 11:10:32 PM »
^^^ Lyrically? Or tonally? And which Technique? Old or new? 'Cos the latest thing I heard from him, it sounded like somebody karate chopped him in the throat and now he's got DMX/Busta syndrome. A whole lot of blargiddy-blarg.

Don't know if he's doing that all the time now, and if it's on purpose or if he blew out his voicebox, but it sounded got damn ridiculous when I heard it lol. Just completely goofy and unnatural.

It IS Tech though. Maybe it'll grow on me if I hear it more. <shrug>

Anyway, who are we talking about again that sounds like IT?
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 11:27:03 PM »
Original

The Byrds in '69

Duran Duran in 1995

Magnet from the Mr and Mrs Smith soundtrack

Here

my favorite version

Magnet remixed featuring Snoop

Jeez how many times this been done?

Somebody lip syncing to Isaac Hayes

It never ends

Holy frickin shit! I havn't found a "bad" version of this song yet!

Think that's about it unless you wanna watch random people recording themselves in their bedrooms...even most of those weren't half bad. I am dissapointed that I couldn't find a bluegrass version.

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
  • You know
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 11:31:51 PM »
@RaymondKHessel

I'm just talking about his voice.  And it's not so much that he sounds like him as much as he reminds me of him.  Same kind of roughness to it.  So I don't know that I'd compare him to earlier or later Immortal Technique.  As far as styles go, like I said, I'd stick with comparing him to El-P.  And I'm talking about dude in Death over Life's post.  It's the last clip.
Nah son...

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 11:40:23 PM »
Raise up off dees N.U.T's

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 11:54:42 PM »
@RaymondKHessel

I'm just talking about his voice.  And it's not so much that he sounds like him as much as he reminds me of him.  Same kind of roughness to it.  So I don't know that I'd compare him to earlier or later Immortal Technique.  As far as styles go, like I said, I'd stick with comparing him to El-P.  And I'm talking about dude in Death over Life's post.  It's the last clip.

Ah. Okay, gotchya on all counts. Thanks man. Just listened to it - you're absolutely right. Sounds like he's doing a Tech impression in fact lol.

So, ya'll realize that this thread is inevitably going to lead to a "Your most HATED covers" thread, right? If it doesn't, it SHOULD. I've got ammo for YEARS on that front!  :P

As for my favorites... Generally I'm not a super-huge fan of covers - I think most are usually inferior to the originals.

But you've got brain damage if you don't think Jimi's version of "All Along the Watchtower" stomps the s**t out of Dylan's original. That's indisputeable. If your opinion tells you otherwise, your opinion is wrong, and you should just jam screwdrivers into your earholes because your eardrums are already fucked beyond repair and you might as well enjoy a "handicapped" sticker on your car for the excellent parking.

That's kind of a thing about ol' Bob though... Guy wrote amazing songs, but his voice is universally recognized as shite (and it's okay to love a shite voice - I do in this case!). So it's not terribly difficult to bang out an awesome cover of a Dylan song if you're modestly talented.

That said, gotta love this:

Bobbie boy's original -

And the cover - which a semi-retarded ex of mine wisely commented: "Wow, that really puts a different spin on it!" 

Umm... Yes dear. Yes I suppose it does.  &)  :-X

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:07:36 AM by RaymondKHessel »

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 01:36:06 AM »
Well, I did specifically post that song from Grimm Real since it is technically a cover/remix of the Suffocation song He drums in, but most of what I was able to find off of youtube is more traditional style beats than the death rap that he and Necro like to delve into. Speaking of that, His album looks extremely rare to find. For more on Smith, I'll have to post in the What are you listening to thread. It's kind of interesting though, that this rapper is the same guy who invented blast-beat drumming which pretty much genre-defines everything in the extreme metal world. I do love using that idea to give the finger to Nazi's though! ;D

The other fun thing is, that people tend to think of extreme metal as white man music, yet Suffocation alone has 2 black people in them, the drummer and a guitarist.

Speaking of Rage, I do love their cover of Renegades of Funk. Remembered posting that a long time ago here, but here it is again:

Soul Sonic Force-Renegades Of Funk

vs.

Rage Against the Machine - Renegades of Funk

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 01:48:15 AM »
jesus jay talk about a great track being treated to the Play Badly Blandly Play  ;)

Actually it wasn't anywhere near as bad as that, but this is exactly the point I made in the last post.

I listened to everyone of those Lay Ladys and while they individually had some interesting variation (often percussion) I could not find a cover there that really impressed.
Sorry mate , I am a fan of some of Ministry's big tracks, but even their skills did nothing outstanding with what obviously is a very approachable song.
Skills to that Bod Dylan chap. I was kinda interested in the Here version, but even that was just above neutral re: a new take.

For the sake of bandwidth here folks I respectfully suggest we cull posted vids down to our real favourites. 
That wasn't aimed specifically at you jay  :), I enjoyed the tour, and accomplished some much needed domestics while listening loud (the neighbours are v distant, but they'll be giving me bemused looks no doubt after that stint).  ;D

EDIT ADDED CLASSIC DOUBLE-TAKE AMBUSH

jay .....bloke   what can I say?

I just watched the Snoop G and J   then the cover by The Gourds   ....and that is exactly what I am talking about and we get to be the fly on the wall after all!!!

Snoop's response brought a tear to my eyes

fucking excellent.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 02:00:06 AM by kin hell »

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
  • You know
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 02:05:40 AM »
OG version:

The one a lot of people know:

My favorite version:

Nah son...

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 02:41:33 AM »
a variation of the meaning of a cover version. 
Phil Manzanera and Brian Eno feature in both versions, but the treatment is vastly different and I have always preferred the second "cover".

801 "live" ....Pump up the volume   the real difference kicks in at about 1:47  and it just rocks....   
pity the only versions of this I can find on the web cut off the classic seamless transition into another "cover" of the Kink's "You've Really Got Me"

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 08:10:21 AM »
I cannot tell if it's been posted (firewall blocks video here), but Johnny Cash did a great cover of Nine Inch Nails (who I generally loath) "Hurt". 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline StPatrick

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • The patron saint of WWGHA
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 08:30:09 AM »
I've got one:

Original "Bad Company" by...well, Bad Company

And the cover (my preferred version) by Five Finger Death Punch
If we come together and do not fight over religion, class and borders then we hold the key to a peaceful world. There are two possible futures in store; either a March of power and greed or a March of a unified human race.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 08:46:27 AM »

My favorite version: (Betty Swan       "Tell it like it is")

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQbjaSTMokM

Agreed 
I cannot tell if it's been posted (firewall blocks video here), but Johnny Cash did a great cover of Nine Inch Nails (who I generally loath) "Hurt". 
Yes mate somebody beat you to it, good call though. (firewalls blocks videos here)sucks a big one eh? 

@stpatrick

My nephew was in one of the scenes in the Death Punch video. I like their version better myself.
Ditto my bold.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:59:45 AM by kin hell »

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 08:49:31 AM »
@stpatrick

My nephew was in one of the scenes in the Death Punch video. I like their version better myself.

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »
This was written and recorded by the Crickets (post-Buddy Holly) in 1959. It's a little bland...

It's supposed to sound like this (the Clash in 1979):

Offline StPatrick

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • The patron saint of WWGHA
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 10:54:22 AM »
Quote from: jaybwell32
I like their version better myself.

Agreed.  I can't stand Bad Company's original, but 5 Finger Death Punch's version is probably one of my favorite songs.
If we come together and do not fight over religion, class and borders then we hold the key to a peaceful world. There are two possible futures in store; either a March of power and greed or a March of a unified human race.

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 01:24:12 PM »
kin:
my greatest delight in covers is when I end up wishing I could be a fly on the wall of the original artists when they first get to hear the cover version.
Ah right; we could call this the "Spinning in their Grave Factor".  ;D

Two nominations for that. First, Sinatra hearing Sid Vicious doing My Way:

(^^ that vid is mistitled, btw, it's Sid on his own, not with the Pistols...)

Second, Paul Simon hearing Yes doing an eleven minute prog-rock version of America:

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 02:27:46 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 03:17:45 PM »
The great 1937 original:

The greater 1969 cover by the Stones off Let it Bleed (with Ry Cooder on mandolin, trivia fans):

... btw, I just found this recent cover by Clapton in the original style:

Can white men play the blues?

Can blue men play the whites?

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 03:38:46 PM »
Now that you remind me Gnu

original

Emerson Lake and Palmer

not to forget to mention their whole album "cover" of  Modest Mussorgsky's  classical work "Pictures at an Exhibition"

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 04:00:14 PM »
Speaking of Clapton, not many guitarists dare to do a Hendrix song, for obvious reasons, but his version of Little Wing is almost as fab as the original (thanks partly to Duane Allman playing with him), but very different.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 04:09:10 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 08:48:23 PM »
^^^^^ Love that song. Here's a cover of it most people haven't heard...

Kinda "meh" musically, but Bach's voice was amazing before he blew it out and then got all old and bloated.

Used to be one of the most straight-up badass rock vocalists to come out of the 80's, and pretty enough to want to prison rape, but now he's just a joke. Pre-madonna douchebag who still thinks it's 1989, and his voice is shot to s**t with a vibrato knob he turned to 11 and then broke off.

Sad, really.  :-\ Still, in a decade where like 80% of rock singers were just god-awful, you gotta take the good when and where you can lol.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:02:55 PM by RaymondKHessel »