Author Topic: What if there were no Moon?  (Read 852 times)

Offline wwdriver

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
What if there were no Moon?
« on: November 01, 2011, 12:32:11 AM »
This thought has bounced around in my head for several decades now: What if there were no Moon? How might life as we know it have changed? I saw an article about it once, but it didn't really cover what I was thinking about. For instance:

If there was no Moon, then stars would be all the light that Early Man had every night. Do you suppose that this would have changed our evolution any? Fewer big game hunts at night?

If there was no Moon, then we would not have tides? How would this affect anything? Ships wouldn't have to wait for high tide. Do tides effect the weather? Does the Moon affect the weather?

On an unscientific note, would we have a mythological beast like the werewolf?  ;D

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
Re: What if there were no Moon?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 01:05:27 AM »
The Moon doesn't give off light like stars. And yes the Moon has played a role in determining behaviors and living patterns of animals including ourselves. Some owls, for example, would be hard pressed to stay nocturnal as they'd have trouble hunting during the night without the Moon giving off the reflected light by the Sun.

If there was no Moon, there'd be no gravitational pull from the Moon affecting our ocean tides which are ultimately a huge factor in affecting the weather.

And I doubt the diversity and complexity in life, or life on Earth in general, we see today would exist had it not been partly for the Moon.

And holy shit, forget the werewolf, we'd have no Artemis or the Moon Bunny!
The Second C

Offline wwdriver

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 03:06:04 AM »
Are you saying that owls actually hunt less when the moon is not up and reflecting light? Or was that just an example?

Oh, wait. Here is a great discussion about owls:
http://365daysofastronomy.org/2010/05/08/may-8th-how-lunar-cycles-affect-wildlife/
The owls prey on them (gerbils and desert rodents) so, during full moon, they’re less active.
Now I have lots of reading to do. Thanks for prodding me in the right direction.

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 03:22:43 AM »
I said some, and yes it was an example.

Some owls do rely on both auditory and visual senses (both of which are spectacular and strong, the famous Great Horned Owl is an example), while others are more sided on the auditory due to the positioning of their ears. So yes the moon does in some ways affect their hunting patterns, also in part because some of their prey are active during the evening as well when the moon is out.
The Second C

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 06:19:57 AM »
Bill O"Riley would not be able to prove the existence of God.

"the tide goes in, the tide goes out...therefore God"
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 06:41:49 AM »
no mooning  :blank::blank:

and seven less ghosts

no moon illusion...

....why does the moon look bigger near the horizon than it does higher in the sky?
No one has yet come up with an accepted answer...

The Moon illusion is an optical illusion in which the Moon appears larger near the horizon than it does while higher up in the sky.  The event has been documented since ancient times and has been referenced by many different cultures.  The Moon illusion is a bizarre occurrence that remains unexplained.  In fact, the Moon is farther away from Earth when near the horizon and is about 1.5% smaller than when it is high up in the sky.  With no clear explanation to why the Moon looks larger on the horizon, intellectuals began to accept the occurrence as a psychological phenomenon, meaning our brains are convincing us that the Moon looks bigger.  For over 100 years, research on the Moon illusion has been conducted by vision scientists who invariably have been psychologists specializing in human perception.  Many explanations exist, but to date no single theory is accepted.

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-strange-examples-of-cognitive-phenomenon.php
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:08:21 AM by kin hell »
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Bad Pear

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Observations from one bad fruit to the bunch.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 07:23:49 AM »
In fact, the Moon is farther away from Earth when near the horizon

I think they mean father away from the observer since the position of the Moon in the sky is relative.
Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions implode, atheism is what is left behind

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 07:26:07 AM »
When I saw this topic I thought it was a review of What If There was No Moon by Steve Parker, a science teacher.  I reviewed it on Virtual Net[/nb]I'm sure you never heard of it.[/nb] about 1995.  There was a copy at my local library.

He had about 8 what-if Earths, the first and last were:

SOLON -- What if there was no moon?
HADES -- What if a mini black hole went thru the Earth?

He had other scenarios about different sizes for the Earth.

Without the tides the Earth would not have significantly slowed.  The day would be 15 hours long.   Wind speeds nowadays are commonly 20 mph and we think nothing of it -- not till about 40 mph.  The wind speed on Solon would be commonly be 32 mph and hurricanes would be frequent.  Our current trees are knocked down in wind storms so vegetation would be thicker and shorter than our trees.

Unfortunately it is out of print and the library no longer has it either.

And despite what that silly person[1] says, there could easily be life on Earth.
 1. GodExists
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:38:59 AM by Historicity »

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 07:39:28 AM »
As I pointed out in another post I am too lazy to look up:

The sky appears as a dome that to our eyes has the stars at the same distance.

This dome does not appear as a hemisphere.  I've asked others and it appears to them as well to be about 1/2 to 1/4 as tall as it is wide.

So the moon is not larger near the horizon because of objects with which to compare it.  That has been disproven because the optical illusion appears when the moon is near an ocean horizon with no objects near it.

So -- you perceive the dome of the sky to be twice as far away at the horizon as it is overhead.  But the moon obstinately will not change the arc it subtends so it looks strangely larger.

Please check out the noon day sun and notice how small it is.  Check out the setting or rising sun and notice how big it is.  It's the same phenomenon.  It's just that people don't idly gaze at the noon sun so they don't notice it.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 11:41:44 AM »
When I was a child, and yes, I realize this is stupid but I was a child, I thought the crescent moon was Biblegod's fingernail.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 12:52:09 PM »
When I was a child, and yes, I realize this is stupid but I was a child, I thought the crescent moon was Biblegod's fingernail.

Ahhh, that's nice.  And it is part of religion.  That is, in Michael Newdow's case against "under God" in The Pledge one of the justices asked whether the reference to God could be accepted as "greeting card religion".

So greeting card religion has the dignity of recognition (tho not majority agreement) in the Supreme Court of the United States of America.  So therefore it is good enough.