Author Topic: Tetra-amelia syndrome  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Iamrational

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Tetra-amelia syndrome
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:48:36 AM »
This is a story that proves to me how much I don't know about our world. In an article today I learned of Tetra-amelia syndrome. It is a rare 'genetic' disorder. What is does is prevent the growth of limbs. I was shocked by these images. I thought it was a fitting discussion for the main topic of this website.

So I would like to highlight the word 'genetic.' Apparently the genetic code formed this mutation that prevents limbs from growing. If there was a god who made us complete from scratch I am way confused. All I have heard lately is God made us perfectly. He made us in his image. Well just throw a ton of positive descriptive words on there, you get the point. So a Jesus freak is going to sit here and tell me that there is a god who made us and he threw this one in the bunch. Epic fail! You can't explain or pray that one away.

So could the explanation be that through evolution this disorder/mutation just formed and took hold of comes up every so often, eventually dying out again? I think so. I tell you one thing. That makes a lot more sense than it was a god who said curse you losers. You guys have to check out these people born without arms or any length of legs at all. Seriously they are torsos and it is sad, meaningless. Theist could claim that god made us and then he allowed us to evolve so it just came into the picture naturally. That miserably fails the 'omni-' test.

This also falls back to that argument that a spiteful god allows these torsos to go on without any reprieve. I have heard the argument that men created these amputations by hurting one another. This fails in that argument because they were born without causing any harm. It is ridiculous for a god lover to accept these poor people were sinners so they deserve no limbs. Irrational.

Anyway, it never ceases to amaze me how many disorder and 'rare' genetic complications there are in this world of religious folks and yet we have to continue to try and convince them that things like this throw a major and fatal complication in the whole "perfect creation" argument.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +444/-25
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Tetra-amelia syndrome
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 11:06:34 AM »
unfortunately most Christians will say one of three things:  it's man's fault for "falling", 2. that those people will get special nice presents in "heaven" or that they deserved it for some reason and the Christian is so imporant God harms people to teach them how to be better Christians.

Revolting, I know.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +402/-9
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:10:19 AM »
God is testing us.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Professor
  • Darwins +184/-16
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:33:43 AM »
Ahhhh to be a victim of free-will without actually getting a chance to use it(free-will)......no Christian ever mentions the victims of others who use free-will to victimize the innocent
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 11:52:01 AM »
God used to let Satan take away your most precious property and give you a skin disease.  If you continued to proclaim faith He would give you your property back.

Of course, I'm speaking about Job.  He had a happy ending when he had another set of children to replace the ones Satan killed along with a new house.  The replacement children were just as good.

But do you read about mutations in the Bible?  No.  There must not have been any.  There was Lamarckian evolution with spotted and striped cattle but no mutations.

So God must have allowed Satan to introduce mutations to test our faith.

Ain't theology fun? 

"Theology is mythology as reality."
--------Velkyn

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Professor
  • Darwins +184/-16
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:26:07 PM »
whatever happened to Job's original children? are they patiently waiting for Jesus? or did they get a free pass because Satan abused free-will?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)