Author Topic: Finding God  (Read 529 times)

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-7
  • WWGHA Member
Finding God
« on: November 29, 2011, 05:11:46 PM »
I think many of us understand why it brings comfort to some.  A claim that "I'll be praying to Krishna for the dead" is, I'm sure, comforting to Hindus. Humans love to feel like they are being taken care of. 

I was reading another thread and in an attempt at replying I began the following rant that was totally off topic, so I started this thread............

In my opinion, a problem we have, especially in the West is that we hold up a society that bases more on how people feel than anything else. Oftentimes when refering to 'mental health', to 'being in a good place', and even in reference to success in life, it all come down to: does the person feel good.

Feelings dominate the voting patterns of the masses. Feelings dominate religion people's way of thinking, especially the casually religious. In my mind at least to a much greater extent than we do now, WE AS PEOPLE NEED TO GET OVER OUR wittle FEELINGS and start dealing with reality.

If you failed, it may not be because you didn't apply yourself, perhaps you just weren't smart enough. If you lose, maybe you just need to admit to yourself and expect others to be real with you in stating that you were not good enough to win.

Trying to placate everyone's feelings may ultimately prove to be extremely unproductive. As the only species/beings that we know of that have the type of emergent intelligence and sentient that mankind has, we are the ONLY creatures in the whole damn universe (that we know of) that have the potential to purposefully affect and change that which may otherwise be counted as inevitable.

If folks think I am reaching here, SO! What I am slowly coming to realize is that gods may in fact be real and we see them every damn day when we look in the mirror. We, our species, have the potential to one day fully understand the universe and then be able to manipulate it as we see fit. Our intelligence MAY in fact lead us to wonderous discoveries and even ultimately towards true immortality. If that happens, manking as a collective in a real way will be omnipotent in that anything that can be done will be doable for us. We will perhaps be able to moniter and survey the far reaches of space as if we were omnipresent!

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
Re: Finding God
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 05:50:30 PM »
that I am slowly coming to realize is that gods may in fact be real and we see them every damn day when we look in the mirror.

I get what your say but wouldn't the people that go to church be the lesser deity and the preacher, pastor, or rabbi be the GoD because they have shaped the views that they see.

When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 06:21:32 PM »
that I am slowly coming to realize is that gods may in fact be real and we see them every damn day when we look in the mirror.

I get what your say but wouldn't the people that go to church be the lesser deity and the preacher, pastor, or rabbi be the GoD because they have shaped the views that they see.

Church attendance, rank, or position has no relevance has the real, or should I say potential God that I am discussing has nothing to do with religious concepts. Instead, the God that I promise is mankind as a collective as we grow towards becoming God, or to use a less religiously included description, as we grow towards becoming fully aware of and potentially master of the universe.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +474/-8
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:09:44 PM »
. We will perhaps be able to moniter and survey the far reaches of space as if we were omnipresent!

Then we move to the Fermi paradox. If what you say is possible, then is somebody else already doing it to us? Or, are we the first?
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +446/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 09:03:48 PM »
ToT - I think the emotional aspects of being human are far more ingrained in us than we like to admit.  Your comment about people failing because they were simply not good enough, or smart enough, hits home.  For example, as much as I have always wanted to be a songwriter, and play in a band, I am now 50 years old, and that dream has turned into a part time hobby at home, basically because I don't have what it takes. 

It's difficult to say that, and though it is probably a subjective conclusion even from myself, the fact is that I did not create that career path for myself, regardless of the reason.  My emotional side though, still clings tightly to music and is not willing or ready to admit that I don't have what it takes.  Maybe we are hard-wired for that?

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 12:35:58 PM »
. We will perhaps be able to moniter and survey the far reaches of space as if we were omnipresent!

Then we move to the Fermi paradox. If what you say is possible, then is somebody else already doing it to us? Or, are we the first?

As I consider the more ancient religious texts, the idea of what to make of them often pops into my mind. Should they be totally thrown out as useless and foolish superstition or might they have something of value? The fact that so many ancients spoke of "gods" leads me to conclude that it is quite possible that "somebody else" has already beaten to the punch. In addition, it is also possible that we may have been influenced in some ways by that other party in ancient times. Who can really say?

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
ToT - I think the emotional aspects of being human are far more ingrained in us than we like to admit.  Your comment about people failing because they were simply not good enough, or smart enough, hits home.  For example, as much as I have always wanted to be a songwriter, and play in a band, I am now 50 years old, and that dream has turned into a part time hobby at home, basically because I don't have what it takes. 

It's difficult to say that, and though it is probably a subjective conclusion even from myself, the fact is that I did not create that career path for myself, regardless of the reason.  My emotional side though, still clings tightly to music and is not willing or ready to admit that I don't have what it takes.  Maybe we are hard-wired for that?

My emotional side is what makes me at times miss church services because I loved the singing and the "Woo" it provided. As you stated, human emotions are deeply ingrained and that in my opinion, is not problematic. The problem is that we are not taught to properly deal with and place our emotions in the best place. We often allow them to "move" us rather than taking more control over them. We even give crimes of passion a pass in our judicial system. I think it is rather telling that we have structured a society to accept the idea that in many situations man cannot control himself and is somehow not or less responsible for his actions in these situations.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-7
  • WWGHA Member
Why am I here?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »
The deep philisophical question of why we are here may in fact have a simple answer. I propose that the most logical reason, backed by things like natural selection and the like, is that we are here for two reasons. First, we are here, because we exist, to exist. Secondly, we are here to play the "survival game." What I am saying is that the objective of life is very basic and simply comes down to survival. Apart from that all is ancillary and acts as band-aid that placate us on our way to an oblivion we MAY, (unbeknowst (sp ?) to us as of yet), be able to avoid. 

------
Can roaches survive in space?

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +27/-23
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 03:33:26 PM »
Overall, what I got from what you said TruthOT, is that religious people are really hedonists, which I tend to agree with, and in terms of becoming Gods or the ultimate God being or whatever, sounds like you are drifting into a bit of LaVeyan Satanism.

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1134/-27
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 04:12:34 PM »
It's possible that some of the manifestations of 'supernatural' powers were due to beings that could observe and affect things at extremely long distances, or perhaps through time.

I just got done reading an interesting sci-fi book.  Part of it was that people in the future had learned how to observe the past, and discovered that they could influence the past as well, at the cost of destroying the entirety of history progressing forward from the point of interference.  One example given was a "spiritual manifestation" of the Christian Trinity (basically, a hologram projector sent into the past) in order to redirect Christopher Columbus from leading the Fifth Crusade into exploring the American continents, since if he had not gone there and come back with tales of gold, the Mesoamericans (basically, the Aztec city-states) would have eventually conquered Europe.

Of course, this is fiction, but it's an interesting concept, especially if you think about the repercussions for other pivotal events and characters.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
Re: Why am I here?
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 04:39:57 PM »
Can roaches survive in space?

I don't understand how that question derives from the subject matter but I will fill in an interesting tangent.

Tardigrades, aka water bears, can survive in space.  They are the toughest animal.  They are 8 legged things about a millimeter long.  They are a phylum dating to the earliest part of the Cambrian.

They can survive 10 years of drying.  They can survive a pressure of 1200 A.  They can survive above the boiling point of water.  They can survive at one degree above absolute zero.  They can survive 1000 times as much radiation as a human.  They can survive a vacuum and that was even tested on a space missions. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade#Physiology