Author Topic: Use your other limb already  (Read 5300 times)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +97/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Re: Use your other limb already
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2011, 08:30:36 AM »
 Some of the stuff that religous Dogma has allowed people to do in the name of their god is unacceptable,regardless of the reasons. You see when Columbus landed in 1492 there were about 60 million indians in North America 500 years later there are about 8 million.......as a result in part to religous dogma.

Then there is this God himself who has killed because he was not pleased with his creation.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2011, 09:41:22 AM »
"I personally am
 but i truly
 There are many things I could do
 I suppose,
 but I really
 I don't want to do now and
i don't really not do things
 i want to.
 so its not like im missing out
 i got to do a lot as a teen,
 but I truly
 I miss church.
 i just didn't want
 i tend to get into trouble.
im drawn to it"

Wow - 15 I/im's in one little paragraph. Definitely no narcissism in yer family.

_I_ am the centre of the Universe.

I thought this was a very good e.e. cummings poem.  Except for the misspelling of "center".
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2011, 10:03:32 AM »
"I personally am
 but i truly
 There are many things I could do
 I suppose,
 but I really
 I don't want to do now and
i don't really not do things
 i want to.
 so its not like im missing out
 i got to do a lot as a teen,
 but I truly
 I miss church.
 i just didn't want
 i tend to get into trouble.
im drawn to it"

Wow - 15 I/im's in one little paragraph. Definitely no narcissism in yer family.

_I_ am the centre of the Universe.

I thought this was a very good e.e. cummings poem.  Except for the misspelling of "center".

:laugh: You KNEW I'd HAVE to look up e.e. cummings, didn't you!
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2011, 10:14:05 AM »
buffalo bill's defunct

pure genius and chokes me up almost every time.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2011, 12:40:55 PM »
[
nowhere did i say science hasn't done anything for people. i simply stated that the rationalization and justification for some of the stuff they do to people and animals is in my opinion unacceptable regardless of the reasons.  i simply was attacked for my opinion which i stated was my opinion. And with regards to my faith in christ and all that he was about and spoke in the christian bible i have stated that im okay with the evidence i have been given.
  No, you just repeated the same old ignorance that Christians repeat when attacking things they are willfully ignorant of.  You attack evolutionary theory when the same science that supports that supports the treatments your mother has likely had, the antibiotics you use, etc.  You attack science when convenient, and are a hypocrite about it.   And I don’t care if you are “okay” with anything.  Theists usually say that which just underscores their ignorance again.  The “evidence” you claim is the same coincidence and parlor tricks all other theists assign to *their* gods.  They use this nosense to create a god of their own so they feel better and so they can do things with some sort of “divine” approval.  And those delusions can lead them to do horrible things.
I don't place too much faith in videos as a means of deciding what i believe about something cause i haven't found them to be without the possibility of error in what they present. i tend to read and get the latest science stats from government and science publishings etc. i usually do a comparison with the "christian research institute" or "stand to reason" or even "imprimis". There are so many resources available  for whatever a person is wanting to know more about.
I’m sure you don’t.  You simply pick and choose what you want to believe from *everything*.  And what the heck are the “latest science stats from government and science publishings”?  And then you go running to your lying Christian friends and confirm that they are the only ones that could possibly be right.  Why accept what they say over the science that, by definition, is repeatable, predictable, etc?   That’s called presupposition and is the antithesis of science.  Your supposed concern with the “possibility of error” certainly doesn’t apply to anything you want to believe, does it? 
But to see just how much your concern might go, I’ll ask you this to start: do you believe in the story of Noah and the flood being literally correct from the bible?  After I see how you respond we can go on from there.
i truly and genuinely just want to state my opinion and experiences on topics of interest. ill just copy and paste the above comments in response to future inquiry. and as i've already stated in intro and i think one other post area (science) what i believe and why.
You are welcome to state your opinion but you are not immune to having that opinion contested and being asked to support your claims.  If you whine about that, you aren’t really interested at all in learning anything, only preaching and searching for more external validation for yourself. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »

im sorry emily. i just can't get it. it's kind of like the concept of christianity for an atheist i suppose. i'll keep trying. thanks.

There's nothing difficult for the concept of Christianity for an atheist...despite your slur...you used to believe in Santa, right? So you can understand the concept of believing in something that you don't currently believe in.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2011, 03:52:11 AM »

im sorry emily. i just can't get it. it's kind of like the concept of christianity for an atheist i suppose. i'll keep trying. thanks.

There's nothing difficult for the concept of Christianity for an atheist...despite your slur...you used to believe in Santa, right? So you can understand the concept of believing in something that you don't currently believe in.
Logic is to a Christian as garlic is to a Vampire.
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2011, 07:18:15 AM »

Sometimes I think it is closer to what algebra is to a dog.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2011, 08:00:03 AM »

If only it were.   
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-4
  • I did haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2011, 01:51:17 AM »
Not just Christians. There are a whole load of idiots: astrologers, homeopaths/naturopaths, truthers, past life hypnostists, UFO abductees.

I struggle to think what the root cause of their mental problem is, but they generally have a poor education, and are unable to follow logic, without spouting compete shit in return. Their "truth" is a disordered load of factoids that all point to something in their mind.

I strive for clarity, but aim for confusion.

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2012, 10:56:44 PM »
I'm sure i'm not the only one who has thought this, but why isn't the woman in the avatar on the main page holding her daughters' hand with her right hand?  Leut. Dan from "Forest Gump" got himself some awesome titanium fake legs.

I noticed what really got him smiling was the woman by his side. 

Sometimes, I think that it really comes down to learning how God thinks and acts rather than bellyaching about what He's not doing for us when we have great minds and ability to impact our environments and situations. 

I'm not thrilled with the way He does things, but I have to give him credit at least for being more intelligent. I'm hoping he knows what he's doing. I suppose time will tell.

First off, my apologies for resurrecting this older thread.  The title caught my eye.  Immediately shot the pineapple juice I was sipping all over my desk.  I'm thankful it didn't come out my nose, but you still owe me a new keyboard, Helen.

I actually get what you're saying.  My issue isn't that God might just let us sort ourselves out.  I've never really had an issue with deists.  My issue is the cherry picking that almost every Christian I've known engages in with regards to when he does help and when he leaves us alone.  He seems to help when the odds of a successful whatever occurring are not at least 50-50, but a positive outcome occurs.  Or seems to on the surface.

Does it not drive you nuts when a survivor of a disaster says that someone must have been watching over him that day, as he gazes skywards?  Is that not the pinnacle of arrogance?  What about the guy behind you?  The guy who was torn in two?  What are you saying about him?

What of the innocents that die horrible deaths every day, while Jesus stands and watches?  Why weren't they worthy of being watched over?

Prayer.  There's two kinds.  Intercessory and Imaginary Friend talk.  I don't really have a problem with the latter, as long as it's not telling you to burn things or paint signs over mantles with lambs blood.  Don't care.  But how many studies need to be done to demonstrate to people that intercessory prayer doesn't work?  As it probably shouldn't.
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

Online Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2012, 01:39:28 AM »
If I've read correctly, helenecombs has had personal experiences that have convinced her the god is real.  This is not accepted as proof by anyone here, however, it is proof enough for her or others like her.  My own experiences were proof enough for me at one time.

What responders are doing is beneficial, despite how futile it may seem now.  Reason cannot stand against one's personal 'proof', but it does find a spot somewhere inside one, and can be made to grow over time, as it did with me.  This leads to a break between the (nearly) unbreakable core faith in one's proof, and the overlay of faith in the church, dogma, and reliance on scripture.  Eventually, the theist may, while still holding to their personal 'proof' (one or more perceived miracles of some kind) begin to question the overlays, since they neither depend nor impinge on that individual's core faith.

There may or may not come a time in such a person's life, where they even question their core faith. 

My first miracle, that is the first time I attributed something to god that benefited me, was as follows:  I am near-sighted, so I've worn glasses from an early age.  I was quite young, and was flipping a freshly sharpened pencil.  It flew out of my hand and struck my glasses so forcefully that it left a mark.  At that moment I 'realized' that if god had not made me near-sighted, I would have lost my eye, and god knew better than anyone else, how squeamish I was about anything related to the eye.

I have been losing my vision in both eyes for the past few years.  I've had needles stuck in my eyes on a monthly basis.  If I had retained even the smallest shred of faith from the pencil incident, it would have been obliterated by my current situation.  It is clear, at very least,  that god did not make me near-sighted for a purpose, since he's presumably so busy making me blind anyway.

The pencil incident set me up for a way of interpreting chance events as acts of a loving or sometimes angry god.  Other experiences followed that reinforced this sort of interpretation.  I collected them into a mound of evidence for god's existence and mode of operation.

I somewhat hope that helenecombs can retain her core faith, and is not so gravely challenged in her life so that she will consider its legitimacy:  God is a delusion, but it can be a comforting one.  However, those like helenecombs need to open their minds and listen to reason.  All of the extraneous beliefs that are currently held, that do not directly relate to her core belief, and which in so many people do so much harm to our society need to wither away.  She doesn't need to believe in creationist babble.  She can at least safely reject all of the Pauline letters.  She can ponder the vastness of the universe and all of the incredible things it contains without having to take a stand as to how such things came to be.  She need not defend the bible (unless she had a vision of the bible and her life was subsequently saved) If she does at least this, and continues to keep an open mind, she will at least do no harm. 

We may never make an impact on the core faiths of theists, but we should never tire of helping them rid themselves of all the crap they've been told to associate with that faith.