Author Topic: Use your other limb already  (Read 6009 times)

Offline helenecombs

Use your other limb already
« on: October 29, 2011, 08:34:06 PM »
I'm sure i'm not the only one who has thought this, but why isn't the woman in the avatar on the main page holding her daughters' hand with her right hand?  Leut. Dan from "Forest Gump" got himself some awesome titanium fake legs.

I noticed what really got him smiling was the woman by his side. 

Sometimes, I think that it really comes down to learning how God thinks and acts rather than bellyaching about what He's not doing for us when we have great minds and ability to impact our environments and situations. 

I'm not thrilled with the way He does things, but I have to give him credit at least for being more intelligent. I'm hoping he knows what he's doing. I suppose time will tell.
"God Himself will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death, mourning, crying or pain; for the old older of things has passed away." - Revelation 21:4

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Use your other limb already
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:35:38 PM »
Hmmm...giving credit to an imaginary mythological sky daddy?  OK.  I guess.

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 08:46:54 PM »

If you had as awesome an avatar as 'Screwtape' (even from behind that guy is built), you probably wouldn't sound half as bitter. Or as great a hairdo as ole' eddie scissorhands.... I gotta say tho, Jetson's nose is fairly attractive. :angel:
"God Himself will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death, mourning, crying or pain; for the old older of things has passed away." - Revelation 21:4

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 11:15:08 PM »
with the advancement of technology in both the medical and prostetics do some even consider themselves handicapped?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 11:35:44 PM »
with the advancement of technology in both the medical and prostetics do some even consider themselves handicapped?

I think it's probably a matter of what you get used to. People adjust to some awful stuff.  I would be pissed to have to struggle with being amputee, but I suppose we all have our handicaps whether they are seen or not. 

I have a broken heart and it hurts everyday.  I suppose it's better to hurt than be angry, but it takes courage. I'm pretty certain I won't be healed from feeling the pain of others so I make the best of it, and that works for me.

Offline thunderridge

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 11:54:44 PM »

If you had as awesome an avatar as 'Screwtape' (even from behind that guy is built), you probably wouldn't sound half as bitter. Or as great a hairdo as ole' eddie scissorhands.... I gotta say tho, Jetson's nose is fairly attractive. :angel:

I hear no bitterness on jetson's part.  Your god is imaginary.  Your god belief works as a placebo.  That is all.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 11:54:50 PM »
So where does the imaginary sky daddy fit into this?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 03:40:17 AM »
I'm sure i'm not the only one who has thought this, but why isn't the woman in the avatar on the main page holding her daughters' hand with her right hand?  Leut. Dan from "Forest Gump" got himself some awesome titanium fake legs.

In my opinion, the picture is supposed to signify the fact that things can't exactly go back to the way they were before after you had one of your limbs severed. I personally knew some amputees who had difficulty re-adjusting to their daily life with a physical hindrance which could, in this case, include the definition of "suffering" in there leading to the question of "Why Won't God Heal Amputees" if he is so just, loving and all-powerful as Christians today claim?

Sometimes, I think that it really comes down to learning how God thinks and acts rather than bellyaching about what He's not doing for us when we have great minds and ability to impact our environments and situations.

It is thanks to ourselves, and other circumstances, that we have our own solutions and our own problems.

But once you start talking about a just, loving, all-knowing and all-powerful creator of the universe who watches over us, you begin to question what he's (why not a she?) doing for us, which is nothing really leading to various proofs and problems that point out the very very possibility of such a god not existing. The question is not "why me"? in most cases, the question is rather, "why them?". Read any news for just five minutes and you will see where I'm going with this.

I'm not thrilled with the way He does things, but I have to give him credit at least for being more intelligent. I'm hoping he knows what he's doing. I suppose time will tell.

Are you talking about the same god that is proudly homophobic, misogynistic, ignorant in basic biology/physics/everything, egotistic, incredibly incompetent and incredibly stupid so much to the extent that he actually gets pissed off at humans doing what he intended them for to do?

If so, my advice: Don't even hope for a miracle in time. Make your own life, your own solution, everything.
The Second C

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 08:10:22 AM »

I'm not bitter, actually.  But I can tell that you either purposely ignored a very important aspect of the question posed by this website, or you do not understand the context.  Let me lay it out for you.

I will start by phrasing the intent in a more complete way:

If the God that Christians believe in has truly healed any human through miracle or otherwise, by way of prayer, or of his own will, then why has this god never healed an amputee?

You see, there is no pretention that God is actually real.  The point of the question is to point out the most serious problem with one of the most popular claims of many Christians, that God heals through prayer by miracle.  Whether you believe God has done this or not, is irrelevant. The relevant part of the question is that we can clearly see that no amount of prayer, or miracle has ever healed an amputee.  So Christians are left having to explain this problem.  And your idea is that people need to get used to their damaged body.

Yes, they do need to get used to it.  And they must learn to live with it for the rest of their lives, or be fitted with prosthetics, and get used to that.  But they will never have the benefit of a miracle healing by God.  And that is precisely why the god of the Bible is imaginary.  He simply does not exist, and never has.  It is all made up by ancient humans, and has been dragged forward into modern times to be used as a crutch for people who are afraid to die, and who are afraid to live out the one and only life they will ever have.

All gods are imaginary.  And if a single god could be shown to be real, there would be no atheists.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 09:40:26 AM »
I'm not thrilled with the way He does things, but I have to give him credit at least for being more intelligent. I'm hoping he knows what he's doing.

Hmm.  What evidence do you actually have that he is intelligent?  Or, at least, intelligent in some way other than the autistic savant manner?  Your god may have been able to construct a universe, but he seems to be pretty poor at understanding humans.

Given the choice between a god who understood how a sun works, and who understood how I worked, I'd take the latter.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +67/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 12:34:12 PM »
I'm sure i'm not the only one who has thought this, but why isn't the woman in the avatar on the main page holding her daughters' hand with her right hand?

I don't know, why didn't the Jesus character leave the blind blind, and the lame lame? Why is he described as actually healing them? Is his omnipotent ass just too tired now?

This is the problem with the whole "Their handicap allows their strength of character to show through and inspire us" nonsense. What was the Jesus character doing when he supposedly healed people? Was he removing their handicap to hide their strength of character so that no one would be inspired?

You can't have it both ways.
Denis Loubet

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 04:35:49 PM »

I don't think this is about "bellyaching". I really want to know why God would allow any injuries (let alone amputation) to begin with. Why would God allow any kind of suffering and imperfection? Even you just said you are not thrilled with the way God does things. Is that not indicative of a problem? I want you to contemplate the following:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"--Epicurus
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline Babdah

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • “We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 05:46:38 PM »
I think that it really comes down to learning how God thinks and acts

We see how he acts and how he thinks in the old testament, so why would anyone think that he has changed?

what He's not doing for us when we have great minds and ability to impact our environments and situations. 

When some one ask him for advice on how to do something, do you think that he answers? and if he does then why talk to just one person.

I have to give him credit at least for being more intelligent

you talk like you have sit down and had a grand conversion with him.

I'm hoping he knows what he's doing

Hope never abandons you, you abandon it for reality

I am betting you found this site because you were questioning if god was real
“We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered, afraid of its own forces, in search not merely of its road but even of its direction

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 08:58:03 PM »

In my opinion, the picture is supposed to signify the fact that things can't exactly go back to the way they were before after you had one of your limbs severed. I personally knew some amputees who had difficulty re-adjusting to their daily life with a physical hindrance which could, in this case, include the definition of "suffering" in there leading to the question of "Why Won't God Heal Amputees" if he is so just, loving and all-powerful as Christians today claim?

It is thanks to ourselves, and other circumstances, that we have our own solutions and our own problems.

But once you start talking about a just, loving, all-knowing and all-powerful creator of the universe who watches over us, you begin to question what he's (why not a she?) doing for us, which is nothing really leading to various proofs and problems that point out the very very possibility of such a god not existing. The question is not "why me"? in most cases, the question is rather, "why them?". Read any news for just five minutes and you will see where I'm going with this.

Are you talking about the same god that is proudly homophobic, misogynistic, ignorant in basic biology/physics/everything, egotistic, incredibly incompetent and incredibly stupid so much to the extent that he actually gets pissed off at humans doing what he intended them for to do?

If so, my advice: Don't even hope for a miracle in time. Make your own life, your own solution, everything.

Yeah..idk about all that but i'll stick with God.

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 08:59:12 PM »

i was being lighthearted here people. Wow

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 09:04:45 PM »

That's how I took it.  And I'm not sure what to think of a girl who likes that nose!

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 09:39:12 PM »
I'm not bitter, actually.  But I can tell that you either purposely ignored a very important aspect of the question posed by this website, or you do not understand the context.  Let me lay it out for you.

I will start by phrasing the intent in a more complete way:

If the God that Christians believe in has truly healed any human through miracle or otherwise, by way of prayer, or of his own will, then why has this god never healed an amputee? 

Although, I have had many other types of supernatural occurences in my life, i have only heard of stories of amputees being healed. so, i cannot speak intelligently about that except to say that the need for suffering in our existence is a highly unpopular topic even among our own.

You see, there is no pretention that God is actually real.  The point of the question is to point out the most serious problem with one of the most popular claims of many Christians, that God heals through prayer by miracle.  Whether you believe God has done this or not, is irrelevant. The relevant part of the question is that we can clearly see that no amount of prayer, or miracle has ever healed an amputee.  So Christians are left having to explain this problem.

The testimonies even the extrabiblical ones are from so many years ago, it isn't likely that those stories are taken seriously by people of the 21st century.  I know this seems trite or even shallow, but i think things that are developed inside us because of suffering are more important to God than that we be healed and even that doesn't seem a sufficient enough an answer. it's really, and this is my opinion, not about us as much as we think. There are those watching and when this epic motion picture comes to an end, they will have gotten something out of it, like, obedience to authority.  Even you as a moderator know the value of rules and the need to discipline when there's a problem (not mentioning any names here ;D) and why? So that the community can continue it's existence with some level of harmony. What if getting that particular point across was so important to the God of the Bible/Creation (my opinion its the same being) that he is allowing this huge thing to take place for the aha moments or moment. You know when you see a super well-written movie come together and let's just say it has a good ending and you are just left with a great feeling and a lot of insights and epiphanies, etc. I think that's worth it. If it means eternal life and harmony and understanding in that life.  And your idea is that people need to get used to their damaged body. sometimes relying on others requires humility and being needy requires humility and intimacy. How about a conference on every one with a legitimate story of healing to share complete with doctor's documentation, etc. even though there are extrabiblical sources, the writings of josephus and others. you may be surprised by the turnout. If i were in your shoes, that would be the very least i would do.

Yes, they do need to get used to it.  And they must learn to live with it for the rest of their lives, or be fitted with prosthetics, and get used to that.  But they will never have the benefit of a miracle healing by God.  And that is precisely why the god of the Bible is imaginary.  He simply does not exist, and never has.  It is all made up by ancient humans, and has been dragged forward into modern times to be used as a crutch for people who are afraid to die.

dying isn't the most exciting thing to think about, but let's not confuse that with fear of dying. I personally am just a little bit this side of narcissistic to go on to glory, but i truly would find it a restful experience, so you really can't accuse people of being afraid to die if you haven't interviewed every human being. Too broad of a statement. and who are afraid to live out the one and only life they will ever have. There are many things I could do I suppose, but I really don't do anything I don't want to do now and i don't really not do things i want to. so its not like im missing out on anything. i got to do a lot as a teen, but I truly don't miss it.  I miss church. i just didn't want to drag mom there. and i tend to get into trouble. im drawn to it sometimes,b ut its usually just debates like these. 

All gods are imaginary.  And if a single god could be shown to be real, there would be no atheists.

people are drawn to believe what they want. i believe what i want. there's a dif between going deeper and not believing.

i think i messed this up. it logged me out and i had to copy and paste.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:55:10 PM by jetson »

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 09:40:54 PM »

LMAO... WOW. I can tell you really took the time to read and consider what was being said to you.

I know, I know. Unless it's spelled out through analogies about goats and farming, things can be a little hard to understand.

Well don't try to process it all at once there, sweet cheeks. You're liable to blow a gasket.
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 09:42:45 PM »

That's how I took it.  And I'm not sure what to think of a girl who likes that nose!

:laugh:

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 09:45:05 PM »

LMAO... WOW. I can tell you really took the time to read and consider what was being said to you.

I know, I know. Unless it's spelled out through analogies about goats and farming, things can be a little hard to understand.

Well don't try to process it all at once there, sweet cheeks. You're liable to blow a gasket.

:laugh: ur a nut, aren't ya?  :laugh: :laugh:

i can tell you probably have very few responsibilities...what? i gotta library in here or something...it takes time ta look some of this shit up. WOW

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 09:50:03 PM »

Ray - ya gotta giver her credit, she pegged you.

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 09:50:44 PM »
I'm not thrilled with the way He does things, but I have to give him credit at least for being more intelligent. I'm hoping he knows what he's doing.

Hmm.  What evidence do you actually have that he is intelligent?  Or, at least, intelligent in some way other than the autistic savant manner?  Your god may have been able to construct a universe, but he seems to be pretty poor at understanding humans.

Given the choice between a god who understood how a sun works, and who understood how I worked, I'd take the latter.

alright, how does the dam quote by sentence or segment work? anybody? im losin it over here.

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 09:54:42 PM »

i can tell you probably have very few responsibilities...what? i gotta library in here or something...it takes time ta look some of this s**t up. WOW

What the hell are you talking about? The post I quoted you responding to didn't have anything in it to "look up".  :?

Ugh. Just one post, and I already have absolutely NO desire to engage this person in a conversation. Have fun, guys. She's all yours.
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 09:59:09 PM »

alright, how does the dam quote by sentence or segment work? anybody? im losin it over here.

We have a quoting tutorial, but basically, if you want to break up someone's reply, you need to add the closing quote tag, and then add an opening quote tag for the next section, etc.:

Code: [Select]
[quote]
someone else's reply
[/quote]
your stuff

[quote]
more of their reply
[/quote]

more of your reply

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 10:03:59 PM »

i can tell you probably have very few responsibilities...what? i gotta library in here or something...it takes time ta look some of this s**t up. WOW

What the hell are you talking about? The post I quoted you responding to didn't have anything in it to "look up".  :?

Ugh. Just one post, and I already have absolutely NO desire to engage this person in a conversation. Have fun, guys. She's all yours.

She's got the Jesus on the brain and facts cannot penetrate.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 10:05:24 PM »

:laugh: :laugh:

he probably already has a pretty good idea of how you work which may be why he's keeping his distance. :angel:

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 10:08:34 PM »

We have a quoting tutorial, but basically, if you want to break up someone's reply, you need to add the closing quote tag, and then add an opening quote tag for the next section, etc.:

[quote]
someone else's reply
thanks jetson.  it's a good thing im a bottle blond. I have to keep the expectations low.  ;D
[/quote]
your stuff

[quote]
more of their reply
[/quote]

more of your reply

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 10:13:31 PM »

and i liked you after one post. oh well. easy come, easy go.  It that a disco ball on yur head?

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 10:27:37 PM »

[quote]
someone else's reply
thanks jetson.  it's a good thing im a bottle blond. I have to keep the expectations low.  ;D
[/quote]
your stuff

[quote]
more of their reply
[/quote]

more of your reply

For fuck sake, quoting isn't that hard to do. OK, just find this icon at the top of the text box,and copy/paste what you want to say between the tags. Give the name of the person you are quoting also.

...and here's the tutorial for quoting:
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,16778.0.html
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,4259.0.html
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.