Author Topic: Mission planned to probe Uranus  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
Re: Mission planned to probe Uranus
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 08:42:24 AM »

So now you can't live without technology. Wonderful.
PS: Only murder (one human killing another) is illegal. You could hunt animals or go vegan. Your choice.

Killing animals is OK but killing humans is not? I would consider killing anything a bad thing. Animals live on this world as much as humans do, humanity has no right over them. We do not own this world, we live on it like anything else. If humans consider it is fine to kill animals but not humans, at least that would be a way to survive.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 08:44:28 AM »

So now you can't live without technology. Wonderful.
PS: Only murder (one human killing another) is illegal. You could hunt animals or go vegan. Your choice.

Killing animals is OK but killing humans is not? I would consider killing anything a bad thing. Animals live on this world as much as humans do, humanity has no right over them. We do not own this world, we live on it like anything else. If humans consider it is fine to kill animals but not humans, at least that would be a way to survive.

I didn't say it was OK, I just said it wasn't illegal.
Now, just to reiterate: You can't live without technology. Thanks for playing.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 08:46:51 AM »

I didn't say it was OK, I just said it wasn't illegal.
Now, just to reiterate: You can't live without technology. Thanks for playing.

It is OK to survive, some laws should be illegal, there are some ridiculous laws that have been made.
Your welcome, nice game...
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 08:48:21 AM »
It is OK to survive, some laws should be illegal, there are some ridiculous laws that have been made.
Your welcome, nice game...

I almost forgot - I also gave you the option to go vegan. So, Samuelxcs, what's your excuse now? Eating fruits from plants (who will still be alive after you eat their fruit) is bad?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 08:51:08 AM »

I almost forgot - I also gave you the option to go vegan. So, Samuelxcs, what's your excuse now? Eating fruits from plants (who will still be alive after you eat their fruit) is bad?

Plants are living things too, it would be the same (in terms of killing) as killing animals or ( if you consider humans not to be animals themselves) humans. There is no way to survive without killing, unless we eat things that are already dead, that would be OK. Eating fruit from plants is necessary, just as eating any other living thing.
-Thomas Szasz

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 08:51:41 AM »
Samuelxcs...

Have you ever described yourself as a nihilist?  Have you ever read any of Wayne Holland's essays or books?  I'm just curious...

No. I have never read any of those books, I have never described myself as a nihilist either.

I could be wrong, but some of your replies feel like a form of nihilism.  To be sure, I see nothing wrong with nihilism, and I have read several of those books, and all of his essays/blogs.  Some things I don't agree with, while other things he says are fascinating to me.

When you get some spare time, read through some of his blogs. He is not a famous author at all, but he has some interesting things to say.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2011, 08:56:43 AM »
Plants are living things too, it would be the same (in terms of killing) as killing animals or ( if you consider humans not to be animals themselves) humans. There is no way to survive without killing, unless we eat things that are already dead, that would be OK. Eating fruit from plants is necessary, just as eating any other living thing.

Eating fruit from plants would preserve the plant. Try again.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2011, 08:58:06 AM »

Eating fruit from plants would preserve the plant. Try again.

I thought fruits were plants :)
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 09:00:10 AM »

I could be wrong, but some of your replies feel like a form of nihilism.

I have read something about nihilism, I would consider myself to be a kind of a nihilist in some ways.

When people seek meaning they usually seek it through the promise of salvation delivered from an external source. Yet this path inevitably leaves them hurt and disillusioned because existence is built upon survival, and survival requires self-interest and an internal motivation. Warning: the self-interest of the savior may well contradict your own!

http://www.counterorder.com/nihilist.html
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:02:12 AM by Samuelxcs »
-Thomas Szasz

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2011, 09:01:43 AM »
I thought fruits were plants :)

No. Fruits are fruits, plants are plants. Like spermatozoa and ova are not humans. Try again. Unless you're ready to admit you're wrong and that you can't survive without technology.

No. I have never read any of those books, I have never described myself as a nihilist either.

I have read something about nihilism, I would consider myself to be a kind of a nihilist in some ways.

http://www.counterorder.com/nihilist.html

I will give you five posts to make up your mind about your views. After that I'm just gonna ignore them.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2011, 09:04:55 AM »
No. Fruits are fruits, plants are plants. Like spermatozoa and ova are not humans. Try again. Unless you're ready to admit you're wrong and that you can't survive without technology.

I will give you five posts to make up your mind about your views. After that I'm just gonna ignore them.

Five posts? How generous of you. If my definition of technology is wrong, no one can survive without technology. If technology is what people build, it is not only a better way of survival, it is also required for survival. I would say no one can survive without technology, at least humans can't.
-Thomas Szasz

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2011, 09:08:13 AM »
Five posts? How generous of you. If my definition of technology is wrong, no one can survive without technology. If technology is what people build, it is not only a better way of survival, it is also required for survival. I would say no one can survive without technology, at least humans can't.

Trust me, I'd have ignored your posts by now if I didn't think it was funny to watch you contradict yourself.
I'll take the rest as you admitting that you're wrong.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2011, 09:11:51 AM »
Trust me, I'd have ignored your posts by now if I didn't think it was funny to watch you contradict yourself.
I'll take the rest as you admitting that you're wrong.

Take the rest as what you will. When I said people can live without technology, I did not say we cannot live without all technology.
-Thomas Szasz

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 09:13:55 AM »
Take the rest as what you will. When I said people can live without technology, I did not say we cannot live without all technology.

Without a specific quantifier, you're talking about everything. This is basic grammar.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2011, 09:15:24 AM »

Without a specific quantifier, you're talking about everything. This is basic grammar.

Maybe it is talking about everything to those who don't know what specific parts I am really talking about. Basic grammar isn't one of my strong points.
-Thomas Szasz

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2011, 09:17:08 AM »
Maybe it is talking about everything to those who don't know what specific parts I am really talking about.

Nope, it's talking about everything period.

Basic grammar isn't one of my strong points.

I can see that.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-23
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
If there is no life or resources on it what's the point?

Yeah, life's stupid anyway...there is no point to anything if you really think about it. We should just give up.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Cyberia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2011, 03:52:13 PM »
Man, I used to know about all new space probe launches. Now I don't. It must be senility setting in.
Isn't there a probe on the way to Pluto en route since ten years back or something?
//edit: ha, I remembered correctly. For a given value of the term at least. My brain doesn't always feil me (yet).
New Horizons, started in 2006, scheduled arrival July 2015. It's supposed to map Pluto before its atmosphere freezes again - the probe will arrive 150 days before the dwarf planet is closest to the sun, a point which it reaches every 232 years or so.

New Horizons current position

Also, there is the Dawn Probe which will arrive at Ceres, another dwarf planet, 4 months before NH.  Dawn will enter orbit around Ceres, but NH will just make a flyby of Pluto since it's traveling wayyyyyyyy too fast to enter orbit.  FYI: NH will fly between Pluto and Charon.
Soon we will judge angels.

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2011, 05:11:06 PM »
I assume that would be a Catholic mission......
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler