Author Topic: amazing what you can get funded for these days  (Read 300 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
amazing what you can get funded for these days
« on: October 28, 2011, 09:04:55 AM »
from Jerry Coyne's blog:http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2011/10/27/templeton-funds-inquiry-into-how-god-remembers-stuff/

The University of California, Riverside publicity machine has announced that one of its Ph.D. students in philosophy has been awarded a two-year fellowship to study the mind of God. 

And, as postdocs go, it’s a very lavish one:  $81,000 per year for two years, plus $5500 yearly for travel to and in Europe.  As the press release says:

The fellowship is part of a larger Templeton project to bring the resources of analytical philosophy to theology and philosophy of religion, Fischer [chair of the UCR philosophy department] said, adding, “This is a significant achievement for [the candidate], and a truly exciting and wonderful opportunity.”

The fellowship enables young scholars to use contemporary analytic methods to pursue independent research in the fields of divine and human agency, such as moral responsibility and freedom of will; or philosophy of mind and its theological implications, such as the presence of the divine in a natural world and the emergence of consciousness. The Pennsylvania-based foundation describes itself as a “philanthropic catalyst for discoveries relating to the Big Questions of human purpose and ultimate reality.”

So what is the Big Question that the candidate is being given $173,000 to answer?

His postdoctoral research project, “Divine Foreknowledge, the Philosophy of Time, and the Metaphysics of Dependence: Some New Approaches to an Old Problem,” assesses a core Ockhamist thesis about foreknowledge. William of Ockham was a 13th century philosopher.

“The central contention of the Ockhamist concerns a point about the order of explanation. According to the Ockhamist, it is because of what we do that God long ago believed that we would do these things. That is, God’s past beliefs depend in an important sense on what we do, and thus, says the Ockhamist, we can sometimes have a choice about God’s past beliefs,” he explained. “The overarching goal of this project is to develop and assess this core Ockhamist thesis along two underexplored dimensions: the philosophy of time, and the metaphysics of dependence – both of which have seen an explosion of recent interest.”

Now, all of you know I find philosophy to be quite a large pile of nonsense but this thing of Ockham's may take the cake.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
Re: amazing what you can get funded for these days
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 10:39:22 AM »
Wow. What a glorious crock of shit!

So who exactly is funding this thing? And how high were they when they listened to the pitch and said "YES! *DO* that!"???  :? Where can I find them? Because I bet I can spin a better line of bullshit! GIVE ME FREE MONEY!

Better question: How do you begin to show your research on this? A journal detailing acid trips?

Why do you need to travel to Europe to study metaphysics or the mind of god?

So many questions, so few braincells left.

This shit is really quite unbelievable. We're in a damn global recession and this yahoo is being handed 173k to stare at his toes???
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »
The John Templeton Foundation is funding this. According to them, they donate about 65 to 70 million dollars per year to such projects.

They have five categories to which they give research grants:

Science and the big questions, the latter is probably part of the philosophical one our dear friend got for trying to figure out how God's mind works. A huge fucking waste. Could be used to actually solve real problems..like homelessness and starvation?

The rest:

Character development
Freedom and free enterprise
Exceptional cognitive talent and genius
Genetics

I'm not too surprised, John Templeton was Protestant all the way to give off what he had to this particular field.
The Second C

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 12:38:09 PM »
I've always wondered how the mind of our lord of everything, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, works.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 12:43:47 PM »
I've always wondered how the mind of our lord of everything, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, works.

Foolish infidel! His Noodley Majestic Highness Of All Divine Ramen Cups cannot be comprehended by us, mere mortals who only deserve to be tormented in the burning pot of red, tomato sauce and not receive his daily bread stick!

(Insert more baseless assertions + verses from the Holy MeatBook here)

Pish posh with that Jesus on bread nonsense! Our god has his own form, PROOF!!!:

The Second C

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 06:56:39 PM »
OMG, pics!! It must be true!!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 09:50:02 PM »
Foolish infidel! His Noodley Majestic Highness Of All Divine Ramen Cups cannot be comprehended by us, mere mortals who only deserve to be tormented in the burning pot of red, tomato sauce and not receive his daily bread stick!

Ramen.  :angel:
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz