Author Topic: Hello  (Read 736 times)

Offline helenecombs

Hello
« on: October 26, 2011, 08:49:58 PM »
I was born near the river on a cold day in January...Dayton, Ohio...to be exact. A declining gem. Gem City that is. 

Two children, three dogs, one husband of 22 years, a 3-month old grandson, and a Mother with stage three dementia is the main game. Mom's been hangin' out with us for many years.  She doesn't talk anymore but she can cuss if she's pissed enough. I kind of like that about her. 8) 

Writing this because it's more interesting than studying for the exam I have tomorrow. 

I'm intrigued and puzzled by the nature and variety of views and perspectives we take on as we go through this life. I'm also upset that God doesn't heal amputees.

"God Himself will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death, mourning, crying or pain; for the old older of things has passed away." - Revelation 21:4

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 08:59:49 PM »
Welcome!

Don't let it bother you too much, science is making incredible progress on actually helping amputees!  A ways to go, to be sure, but progress nonetheless.

So, where do you stand on religion and gods?

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »
Hi!  What exam do you have tomorrow?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 06:05:32 AM »
Welcome, for your exam the answer is "C" fo multiple choice and "green" for fill in the blank.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 08:24:26 AM »
welcome, helenecombs
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 08:41:18 AM »
I was born near the river on a cold day in January...Dayton, Ohio...to be exact. A declining gem. Gem City that is. 

Two children, three dogs, one husband of 22 years, a 3-month old grandson, and a Mother with stage three dementia is the main game. Mom's been hangin' out with us for many years.  She doesn't talk anymore but she can cuss if she's pissed enough. I kind of like that about her. 8) 

Writing this because it's more interesting than studying for the exam I have tomorrow. 

I'm intrigued and puzzled by the nature and variety of views and perspectives we take on as we go through this life. I'm also upset that God doesn't heal amputees.

Hi, Helen, welcome to the fray.  I hope you find your stay here entertaining and informative.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 08:42:32 PM »
Hi!  What exam do you have tomorrow?

It's an anatomy & physiology exam. 
"God Himself will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death, mourning, crying or pain; for the old older of things has passed away." - Revelation 21:4

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 08:45:01 PM »
Welcome, for your exam the answer is "C" fo multiple choice and "green" for fill in the blank.

Damn! I circled B for the m-choice and put "red" for fill-ins.

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 08:46:44 PM »

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
So is your name Helen or Helene? Helen's nice, but Helene's more mythological.

You can call me Gnu.

Or Gn, if you prefer.

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 08:58:56 PM »

Hi, Helen, welcome to the fray.  I hope you find your stay here entertaining and informative.

Thanks

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 09:08:46 PM »
So is your name Helen or Helene? Helen's nice, but Helene's more mythological.

You can call me Gnu.

Or Gn, if you prefer.

Helen E to be esact.  I'm not the one who was responsible for that damn trojan horse. So, let's not go down that road.  Is that Gnu with an unsilent G? So, is it nu or n? or gn with an unsilent u? or are you just a really bad speller? My head hurts.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:16:20 PM by helenecombs »

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 09:14:40 PM »
Welcome!

Don't let it bother you too much, science is making incredible progress on actually helping amputees!  A ways to go, to be sure, but progress nonetheless.

Jets on....I'll have ta get back to ya on that. It's been a long day.  :? :blank:

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 11:42:50 AM »
darn and I hoped it was "helene".  That's my middle name, incidentally  ;D  Just coming up on the big 20 for officially being married (a couple of years shacked up before that...)  Got my degree in geology, worked that for a handful of years and now am wasting my time at a slowly dying non-profit as their "she who does everything". 

so, what's the exam for? A nursing degree? 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 06:43:04 PM »
darn and I hoped it was "helene".  That's my middle name, incidentally  ;D  Just coming up on the big 20 for officially being married (a couple of years shacked up before that...)  Got my degree in geology, worked that for a handful of years and now am wasting my time at a slowly dying non-profit as their "she who does everything". 

so, what's the exam for? A nursing degree?

doing "everything" is overrated..yea?  I am working toward a Nursing degree.  Caring for my Mother, unfortunately, has kinda burned me out. I actually began working toward a degree in medicine, but life got in the way...so I just adapted the goal to one that made sense for my me and mine. Not sure who coined the phrase,"Those who can't, teach," but I like to think of it as those who've had the shit kicked out of them, teach :laugh:. I really do think I'll do the teaching thing when all is said and done, though.

So, what are you plannin' on doin' after the non-profit thing? Are you completely giving up on it or do you think it can turn around?   

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 07:57:28 PM »
Welcome!

A partial answer to the question about religiion and gods would be that I guess religion for the sake of itself is bullshit. Gods? I'd say that my perspective is that I do believe there is more going on than what we experience with the five senses and the mind. Life, and this is just my opinion, is way too complex and mind-blowing for anything less smart than us to be involved in it's existence.

[I was surprised by what went on inside me when I helped deliver my first grandchild.  I can't really explain it...I just felt different somehow. I would personally attribute that to an emotional or spiritual experience. Don't really care which as I would imagine most so-called spiritual experiences are personal epiphanies or whatever. The mind is incredibly complex.]

That doesn't really explain my belief in gods exactly, but it was just something that came to mind when I was thinking about the question of gods.

Before I owned a white Ford Tarus, I never noticed one anywhere. When I was in the market for one until shortly after I bought one, man they were everywhere. What is it about focus. I suppose that doesn't really explain my belief either.

While I do believe that a specific percentage of coincidence is mathmatically possible, I would have to conclude that if that percentage is exceeded, then forces influencing that coincidence must be present whether they be human or whatever. Quality of variables present in the occurence would also effect it's influence-free possibility. If Billy Bob and Joe Schmoe are friends and they run into each other at a store they don't typically frequent, they would conclude a coincidence and not think of it anymore.  If Billy Bob runs into Joe at a random gas station they've neither visited, they might laugh and comment about "this crazy world," etc.  If however, Billy Bob runs into Joe every day for a number of days at some different location that neither have been, and miles from their normal stomping grounds, unless they know the agenda and/or whereabouts of the other(an affair or a stalking or whatever), and for this chat we're assuming they don't, then something or someone must be influencing the situation.  I suppose I've experienced a number of coincidences that must have had some influence outside the realm of men.  This is probably the best example I can think of right now....a bit wordy, but what the hell. I did me best to explain it.

baby's fussin & i gotta feed ma.

Offline bosey926

• Reader
  • Darwins +8/-1
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 09:04:10 PM »

Welcome to the forum.  I'm from Springfield, so we suffer the misery of Boner and Kasich together.  That is until November 2nd ;).

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 12:56:05 AM »

Welcome to the forum.  I'm from Springfield, so we suffer the misery of Boner and Kasich together.  That is until November 2nd ;).

Ahh...votin' time again. Politics and (anti)religion : You live on the edge

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 09:40:21 PM »

I realize my avatar looks like I'm doin' a line, but I gave that up many years ago when I realized it wasn't helping my situation. I'm just reading a book here. just sayin'

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
Re: Hello (and goodbye?)
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 01:57:48 PM »
So, how's it going, Helen?

I see that you're already making noises about moving on...

In which case, I don't understand why you joined the Forum in the first place.

What was the purpose of this little adventure?

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 02:00:18 PM »
The Second C

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 02:14:06 PM »
Yes, I just saw that, C.

I'm not surprised, Helen; we do have rules here, and other theists manage to abide by them. But others turn up, break lots of rules immediately, and then act all hurt and triumphant when they are shown the door, as if they'd made some telling point.

So far, you've acted like a guest at a dinner-party who turns up drunk, flirts inappropriately with their host, criticizes the food and then throws up in the kitchen.

Unsurprisingly, we're not impressed.

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 07:03:47 PM »
So, how's it going, Helen?

I see that you're already making noises about moving on...

In which case, I don't understand why you joined the Forum in the first place.

What was the purpose of this little adventure?

honestly, i get bored here with mom and everything. i really miss church  :'(. something about it. on christian forums, many times ur supposed to behave with a lot of integrity in your communications or you'll leave a bad impression on the unsaved. i didn't want that hangin over my head and i suppose that i figured that i could be my abrasive self on a nonreligion site.this was the only one i could think of at the time.  i read about this website about two or three years ago when reading a book for my studies in theology. the sites beliefs were discussed in the book i was reading.  even though i disagreed with the site main views, i felt i could gleen some info for thesis.that probably was below the belt.  i will occasionally comment on stuff, but i think i've found a way to go to church even with mom and still get to be everyone. which is what i love.

i did make a general comment on a general topic and it didn't go so well.  a mod engaged me and i was having a bad day. i forgot i am here to learn what others are thinking not talk about things as though i would with those of my own faith.

the people of my faith can be self-righteous and imperfect but i love them. so off i go..back to the fold. been away too long. :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 07:25:03 PM by helenecombs »

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 07:20:53 PM »
Yes, I just saw that, C.

I'm not surprised, Helen; we do have rules here, and other theists manage to abide by them. But others turn up, break lots of rules immediately, and then act all hurt and triumphant when they are shown the door, as if they'd made some telling point.

So far, you've acted like a guest at a dinner-party who turns up drunk, flirts inappropriately with their host, criticizes the food and then throws up in the kitchen.

Unsurprisingly, we're not impressed.

that's okay gnu. i'm equally unimpressed with most i've spoken with here. actually, i'm not hurt at all. the conversations i've had here have been insightful.  I don't feel triumphant in any way as there was nothing to win. and now i don't feel the need to defend myself. actually i think it's ending or semi-ending quite well.

thinking about this conversation makes me remember how i treated my own people. i criticized them :'( when they were so many times doing the best they could. i guess it takes leaving what's familiar to really see the value in it. depending on what it is. 

and thank God that we all have C protecting people against a little girl like me. i feel lovingly stalked  ;D

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 09:51:58 AM »
doing "everything" is overrated..yea?  I am working toward a Nursing degree.  Caring for my Mother, unfortunately, has kinda burned me out. I actually began working toward a degree in medicine, but life got in the way...so I just adapted the goal to one that made sense for my me and mine. Not sure who coined the phrase,"Those who can't, teach," but I like to think of it as those who've had the shit kicked out of them, teach :laugh:. I really do think I'll do the teaching thing when all is said and done, though.

So, what are you plannin' on doin' after the non-profit thing? Are you completely giving up on it or do you think it can turn around?

I hate that old saw that "those who can't, teach".   :P    Good teachers are all we have going for us sometimes. 

I personally would like to toss the whole non-profit thing.  I am getting more and more convinced, in my old age  ;), that the vast, VAST, majority people simply aren't worth helping.  No one wants a hero anymore, they just want to be told what to do and be "safe". 

I also miss "church" sometimes too.  I grew up in a very tight knit community that completely disintergrated over church nonsense, but I do miss those potluck dinners :)
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 09:58:48 AM »
i'm equally unimpressed with most i've spoken with here.. and thank God that we all have C protecting people against a little girl like me. i feel lovingly stalked  ;D

Nice try at subtly bitter sarcasm. I follow the above, my time is not specially reserved for people, especially people who dodge little girl. :D
The Second C

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 02:16:57 AM »

I hate that old saw that "those who can't, teach".   :P    Good teachers are all we have going for us sometimes. 

I personally would like to toss the whole non-profit thing.  I am getting more and more convinced, in my old age  ;), that the vast, VAST, majority people simply aren't worth helping.  No one wants a hero anymore, they just want to be told what to do and be "safe". 

I also miss "church" sometimes too.  I grew up in a very tight knit community that completely disintergrated over church nonsense, but
from Velkyn: I do miss those potluck dinners :)
yeah, and the Italian Chicken was really one of the best I think.

Offline helenecombs

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 02:24:06 AM »
i'm equally unimpressed with most i've spoken with here.. and thank God that we all have C protecting people against a little girl like me. i feel lovingly stalked  ;D

Nice try at subtly bitter sarcasm. I follow the above, my time is not specially reserved for people, especially people who dodge little girl. :D

I've got help from someone on the forum functions. Thanks anyway.