Author Topic: Favourite Atheist Quote  (Read 540 times)

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
Favourite Atheist Quote
« on: October 26, 2011, 04:23:20 PM »
What's yours?
Every time I think of Christopher Hitchen's comment on Jerry Falwell, "If they gave him an enema, they could bury him in a matchbox", I end up LMAO.
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-1
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
Re: Favourite Atheist Quote
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 01:06:57 AM »
Mine is from Richard Dawkins, in Unweaving the Rainbow:
We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 02:26:11 AM »
I've always liked this one, from  H.L. Mencken "Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable. A man full of faith is simply one who has lost (or never had) the capacity for clear and realistic thought. He is not a mere ass; he is actually ill."
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 02:32:44 AM »
"Truth can stand on its own; only lies require faith."
Best one I've found about faith so far. Dunno who said/wrote it.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 02:42:48 AM »
there is a few, but this one sticks to me like glue.

The danger of religious faith is that it allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy. Because each new generation of children is taught that religious propositions need not be justified in the way that all others must, civilization is still besieged by the armies of the preposterous. We are, even now, killing ourselves over ancient literature. Who would have thought something so tragically absurd could be possible?  Richard Dawkins the god delusion.

so does the one below, for some reason.  &)
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 05:31:39 AM »
I have seen so many I can't remember them all in Star Stuff's sticky "quote of the day"
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard

Offline Petey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 09:01:56 AM »
"I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

-- Stephen F Roberts
He never pays attention, he always knows the answer, and he can never tell you how he knows. We can't keep thrashing him. He is a bad example to the other pupils. There's no educating a smart boy.
-– Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »
Religion convinced the world that there's an invisible man in the sky who watches everything you do. And there's 10 things he doesn't want you to do or else you'll to to a burning place with a lake of fire until the end of eternity. But he loves you! ...And he needs money! He's all powerful, but he can't handle money!

George Carlin
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 04:33:08 AM »
Don't have a single favorite, I just love too many of them, but here's a few I love which I think sum up just about everything about most religions from the atheist perspective:

"It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand".

- Mark Twain.

"Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities."

- Voltaire

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?"

- Epicurus

"Where knowledge ends, religion begins."

- Benjamin Disraeli

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

- George Bernard Shaw
The Second C

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 05:11:39 AM »
There are a lot of good quotes out there, here is one I like:

Author: Captain: "The surest path to Atheism is to read the WHOLE Bible, not just what makes you feel good."

Reading the WHOLE Bible would take a long time, but it is better than just doing what makes one feel good without good reason.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline onesteward

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-7
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 07:13:25 PM »
 I don't quote many atheists but I liked these two from Antony Flew:
Previously, in his central work, The Presumption of Atheism (1976), Flew argued that the "onus of proof [of God] must lie upon the theist."

and then after over 50 years of atheism:

After chewing on his scientific worldview for more than five decades, Flew concluded, "A super-intelligence is the only good explanation for the origin of life and the complexity of nature."

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
when sorrows like sea billows roll;
what ever my lot, you have taught me to say
it is well, it is well with my soul.

Horatio Spafford

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 12:52:25 AM »
Right, so..he's a deist in the latter, not an atheist.  :P
The Second C

Offline pingnak

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 12:58:23 AM »
"Two hands working will do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."
- Multiple Attributions

My addendum: "But at least prayer will keep 1000 idiots busy, not running around, making matters worse with their 'inputs'."

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
- Stephen Roberts

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 10:35:28 AM »

And isn't it a shame when a person gets older and gets a little sloppy in his faculties?

Anthony Flew was famous in atheist circles in about 1962(when he actually appeared on TV) seven years before I was born. But until theist started trumpeting him, I had never heard of him.  His most celebrated work on Atheism was published in 1950

So 50 years he is not an authority, to be despised in Theist circles. And more or less, forgotten in Atheist ones.  However, at age 81, he became a Deist...utterly rejecting the Christian notion of God...but all this trumpeting seems to conveniently leave this part out. There is also the odd fact that his work rejecting atheism, is filled with American expressions, despite being a life long resident of the UK.

It is unprovable, but it looks to me for someone in the declining years, forgotten by the public, suddenly gets fame and money, with a book that doesn't even seem to be completely written by him...isn't all that sound of an authority to appeal to.

And even if my suspicions are incorrect, it is still an appeal to authority.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 10:41:54 AM »
^^^^ Oh right, I heard something about him mentally waning and that the book in which he claimed there could be evidence of intelligent design was authored out by this other guy who was "working with" him.. But I believe he himself denied all that?

And yeah, pretty damn suspicious.

It's a good thing though, that Christopher Hitchens outright stated that if he ever speaks about God being real or something like that, he would most likely be mentally addled by his illness.
The Second C

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 03:20:53 PM »
The only article I've read about Flew comes from Skeptic magazine.  It explains a bit about some concerns raised about his conversion.  I know nothing really about the guy except what comes from this article.
http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/10-04-21/#feature
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline onesteward

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-7
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 03:37:59 PM »

Exactly. ;)
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
when sorrows like sea billows roll;
what ever my lot, you have taught me to say
it is well, it is well with my soul.

Horatio Spafford