Author Topic: Funny Stuff  (Read 364 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Funny Stuff
« on: October 26, 2011, 12:13:41 PM »
http://allpoetry.com/topic/268861369-The_Bible...-noguest

I've been a member of this website for 10+ years, and they talk so much about this but this one is quite entertaining.  It's pretty long.  I won't participate in the topic 'cause the OP is on my ignore list, so, it'd be pointless since she couldn't see my comments to her, and I do not like to discuss with others in a topic if I can't discuss with the OP.  I haven't spoken to her since she called me, and another member on the website a "racist" based on her non-factual, and fictional account of the etymology of "picnic" which she thinks comes from "pic-a-nigger".  I kid you not.

http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/picnic.asp

I forgave her once for calling me a "pedophile" when I wouldn't side with her, and some others against another member who wrote an article on the website that was actually taken out of context by her, and others on the website (mainly women).  It wasn't my argument, I had nothing to do with it, and I was already on thin ice from several weekly to monthly bans that I came back from, at the time, and I didn't need the aggrevation.  Apparently they didn't care.

Anyway, me forgiving someone once is a rarity, so she fucked up even though she's apologized a billion times for calling me a racist when those who know me know I am not one.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
Re: Funny Stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 02:31:45 PM »

Reflections on common language, interpretations,and misinterpretations.

The old south standard refernce name for a small african american child was Pickaninny. That was not necessarily a derogatory or racist name at the time. It was merely a descriptive noun which was understood by old time crackers and black children.  Times have changed and such a name would be a tragicly poor choice of word. Mark Twain used the word without any particular inferences other than what was generally understood.

Matter of fact, the N word used to be used without restraint. It was not derogatory in general conversation. It has become so, despite its original origin. The spanish word negra, simply means black. The word was scandalized in such a way that it is regarded by the black community as the worst kind of insult.  Oddly, african americans use the N word among themselves but woe to the white guy who dares say it.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 02:50:06 PM »
http://allpoetry.com/topic/268861369-The_Bible...

Your link didn't work, but editing it slightly makes it work.  High security, topz sekretz haxxor technique!

Offline pingnak

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 02:51:25 PM »
As for the comments, casual skimming indicates a bunch of bible 'tards jacking each other off.

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 04:00:53 PM »
I can't believe that snopes page actually exists.

Ugh... Oh... Holy shit man, I was NOT prepared for that level of retard.

Oh my LAWD. That was... That was really something special.

Reminded me of going on to Urban Dictionary (which I avoid whenever possible)... I read it, and I say to myself, "Self", I says, "These things you are reading were actual thoughts in somebody's head at one point." and then I think of everything else I COULD be doing, like pulling off my own toenails... It's around that time that my colon usually tries to jump up and strangle my lungs while my brain begs me to "Exorcise the stupid" by way of a bullet.

And now it's 5:00, and I get to go home. If you see me on the news decorating the grill of a truck Wile E. Coyote style... Well... Don't cry for me, Argentina. That's the way it needed to be.

Thanks a pantload by the way Nam. Great way to end my day!  :-[
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 01:21:30 PM »
Quote from: Poseidon Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 02:31:45 PM
Oddly, african americans use the N word among themselves but woe to the white guy who dares say it.

Only if they're saying it, especially to a black person, in a derogatory sense.  I've said "nigger" to black people but that was them allowing me to say it to them.  They explicitly told me I could.  Though, when I did it at this one job I had a long time ago I found that a new guy didn't really care for it, so, I learned from him not to say it unless all of them agree it's okay for me to say it; so when I had another job years later, where 99.9% of those I worked with were black (including supervisors and managers), I didn't say it and some of my work friends asked why not, and I told them that unless everyone thinks it's okay, I won't use it otherwise.  Even if one person thought it was not okay, I didn't.  But they didn't care, either way 'cause they knew I wasn't 1. racist and 2. wasn't going to ever use it in a derogatory manner.

One job I had in the 90's, I got into a fight with a black friend of mine at work, who was my partner on the line we worked, and it was a stupid fight about something really stupid, won't mention what but at one point I was winning the fight (which was weird 'cause he was twice my muscular size) and we just stared into each other's eyes at one point, and he said, "You want to call me a nigger, don't you?"  I told him that if I wanted to call him that, I would have, without hesitation but I didn't.  It's not in me to do so, in a derogatory manner.  We were eventually separated by our supervisor, put on different lines, and I stopped speaking to him (he did start the pathetic fight). 2 weeks went by, and he did something he told me he never did in his entire life up to that point: he apologized to a white person.  I usually am not a forgiving person but I forgave him because I saw how tough it was for him to even attempt to apologize to me based on the fact I'm white, and southern.  Then we went back on the line together, and we were friends for quite some time. 

The nearest thing I stated to him that could be considered to be racist, but in total jest on my part, and he was okay with, was that he was saying shit to me, trying to goad me, see what I'd do, and I replied, 'At least I'm not named after a cracker."  His last name is Graham.  Everyone stopped in the section, and he looked at me straight in the eyes, and then proceeded to laugh his ass off.  Everyone laughed afterwards but not before, except a few other black guys.  It was funny.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 02:12:14 PM »
The old south standard refernce name for a small african american child was Pickaninny.
Portugal was a small country with vast ambitions.  Starting with Prince Henry the Navigator and Vasco da Gama it set out to have a world empire.  But unlike England it ran out of an important resource -- home country population.  There weren't enough Portuguese to man the Portuguese empire so it declined rapidly.

However that, they invented a Portuguese contact vernacular which as the English encroached moved into Pidgin.

"Kaka" is from Latin "caca" which entered English thru Pidgin thru Portuguese.

"Savvy" is Portuguese "save" meaning "he knows".

"Pickaninny" is Portuguese "pequenho ninho"  (same pronunciation as the Spanish words "pequeño niño").

Source: Pidgin and Creole Languages by Robert Hall, Jr.  I read it many years ago.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
"Savvy" is Portuguese "save" meaning "he knows".

I have never heard that word in Portuguese.

"Pickaninny" is Portuguese "pequenho ninho"  (same pronunciation as the Spanish words "pequeño niño").

If anything it's "Pequenino", which is a diminutive of "Pequeno", meaning "small".
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »
I did not know about that particular Portuguese origin.  Neat.   That word meanings are transient is another reason to call into question the lexicon found in the KJV and other very old books.

It is not only the words that we use but the inflections in the spoken words that modifiy or violate the true  meaning.  Sentence structure too, can slant the meaning of a word. 

Use of the word;picnic, as a racial slur, is beyond my imagination. Only troublemakers and conspiricy theorists dream up such stuff.

Good on Snopes for demolishing that bit of misguided lore.