Author Topic: Question for Theologues  (Read 545 times)

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
Question for Theologues
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:44:15 AM »
Among His many attributes, God is unchanging. We know that He got mighty pissed at humanity for having the audacity to build the Tower of Babel, reportedly 300 feet high. Getting too close to heaven, although with heaven outside of spacetime, one wonders why the concern? But, nevermind, the question is this - howcum we've since built many many skyscrapers which are much taller, yet the UNCHANGING God doesn't seem to have reacted. What gives?

:?
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Re: Question for Theologues
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:22:52 AM »
Unlike the skyscrapers of today the Tower of Babel probably wasn't built for business purposes.  You see Jesus/God is a capitalist and he must have thought that the Tower of Babel wasn't going to have a good enough return on the investment of resources that were put into it.  So his decision to cause people to speak in different languages was his way of dispensing financial advice.

Now you may be wondering how we know Jesus/God is a capitalist.  It's because this guys says so.
http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/fischer/100517
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 12:36:19 AM »
[...]
Now you may be wondering how we know Jesus/God is a capitalist.  It's because this guys says so.
Wow, at first glance that Website is comical, but reading its content is frightening.
Talk about fascism unleashed. These folk are ostensibly the moral compass of society, yet the flat out lies and distortions of truth could only be the product of a pathology utterly lacking in conscience.
And we all know what undue influence they currently have in politics. Where are we headed?
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 05:39:11 AM »
Unlike the skyscrapers of today the Tower of Babel probably wasn't built for business purposes.  You see Jesus/God is a capitalist and he must have thought that the Tower of Babel wasn't going to have a good enough return on the investment of resources that were put into it.  So his decision to cause people to speak in different languages was his way of dispensing financial advice.

Yep, Jesus was a capitalist.
He told everyone to give away everything they owned and  hike around the land following a hippy.
That is the creed of every successful capitalist that I know.
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 08:38:06 AM »
Among His many attributes, God is unchanging. We know that He got mighty pissed at humanity for having the audacity to build the Tower of Babel, reportedly 300 feet high. Getting too close to heaven, although with heaven outside of spacetime, one wonders why the concern? But, nevermind, the question is this - howcum we've since built many many skyscrapers which are much taller, yet the UNCHANGING God doesn't seem to have reacted. What gives?

God is unchanging, but our perception of Him changes from day to day. Back in the Bible days, (I really have no idea of how I'm going to finish this sentence, but if Christians can come up with total shit, then so can I) Back in the Bible days, God had to conform to our expectations, so if we perceived God as being an idiotic troll, He behaved like that. It doesn't mean that he has changed, anymore than I would have changed if I suddenly typed like a Christian and started quoting Biblecrap.

2 Samuel 2:22 And Abner said again to Asahel, Turn thee aside from following me: wherefore should I smite thee to the ground? how then should I hold up my face to Joab thy brother?

There! Just because I quoted some Christian shit, does not mean that I are now one. My logic is impeccable.

Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
[...]
Wow, at first glance that Website is comical, but reading its content is frightening.
Talk about fascism unleashed.

Yeah, that's the good old closet case, Bryan Fisher.  In quite a few other articles he is obsessed with gays and obsessed with being masculine enough.  The only guys I've heard of who spend so much time thinking about homosexuality and being frightened of effeminacy are ones who are gay.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 06:15:39 PM »

It is my understanding the story in Genesis is to explain how the many languages came about.  It can also be seen as a cautionary tale about unity and arrogance.  Regardless, if one takes the story as literal, then the explanation why God doesn't seem to mind much taller buildings seems to be because the purpose of these buildings is not to touch heaven or be as God.  No doubt there are many other explanations and I cannot prove my understanding is correct. 

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 09:14:59 AM »

It is my understanding the story in Genesis is to explain how the many languages came about.  It can also be seen as a cautionary tale about unity and arrogance.  Regardless, if one takes the story as literal, then the explanation why God doesn't seem to mind much taller buildings seems to be because the purpose of these buildings is not to touch heaven or be as God.  No doubt there are many other explanations and I cannot prove my understanding is correct. 

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

Explanation? LOL. The Tower of Babel story doesn't even have the makings of a good kids faery tale! You'd have to be a moron to swallow that as an "explanation" for anything.
As for the "story" being an allegory about man's arrogance, even the most rudimentary acquaintance with psychology reveals what a crock that is!
So the perfect, all-powerful being, able to create entire universes at the snap of a finger, becomes enraged at the audacity of the inhabitants of his little ant farm to build a tower of comparative microscopic proportions.
A little psychology would tell you that most parents would be proud of their offspring building something, and praise them for their efforts, and encourage them.
But this supposedly PERFECT God exhibits base human-like jealousy and rage, and uses his power to inflict a horrible punishment with long reaching consequences. Sounds more like an abusive parent than a loving god. The arrogance obviously lies with the god, not the humans. So why would you worship an abuser?

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 07:17:59 PM »
I appreciate your having an alternate understanding.

Your interpretation may be correct.  Regardless, may you find peace and joy on this website and in life.

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 08:59:18 PM »

If GoD is unchanging then how come GoD changed his whole demeanor in the new testament, the kinder gentler GoD.

I think OldChurchGuy was meaning an explanation of a phenomenon. 
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline Youareangry

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 10:18:11 PM »
God didn't. Man did when he rewrote it. I am still trying to figure out why God would heal an amputee anyway? That would be like me trying to fix a tree with a broken limb or an ant with a missing leg.

Online JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +203/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 11:03:47 PM »
I am still trying to figure out why God would heal an amputee anyway? That would be like me trying to fix a tree with a broken limb or an ant with a missing leg.

The reason we humans don't fix broken tree limbs and ant legs is because those things are almost completely meaningless to us.  Are we also meaningless to God?  Most Christians try to tell us that God loves us more than anything, and that He considers us his special creation.  They often equate it to something of a father to son / daughter relationship.  So a better analogy would be to ask why you would bother to fix your son with a broken arm, or your daughter with the missing leg. 

That changes it a bit, don't you think? 

Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 11:33:12 PM »
I am still trying to figure out why God would heal an amputee anyway? That would be like me trying to fix a tree with a broken limb or an ant with a missing leg.

The reason we humans don't fix broken tree limbs and ant legs is because those things are almost completely meaningless to us.  Are we also meaningless to God?  Most Christians try to tell us that God loves us more than anything, and that He considers us his special creation.  They often equate it to something of a father to son / daughter relationship.  So a better analogy would be to ask why you would bother to fix your son with a broken arm, or your daughter with the missing leg. 

That changes it a bit, don't you think?
Starvation,earthquakes,tsunami's,flood's(one of God's favs),religous war and a myriad of other ways God has used to kill his creation. Hell if you believe in God (Jews) but not Jesus or are of another faith. If that is love,I want NO part of it!
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +48/-20
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 12:50:40 AM »
Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

Explanation? LOL. The Tower of Babel story doesn't even have the makings of a good kids faery tale! You'd have to be a moron to swallow that as an "explanation" for anything.
As for the "story" being an allegory about man's arrogance, even the most rudimentary acquaintance with psychology reveals what a crock that is!
So the perfect, all-powerful being, able to create entire universes at the snap of a finger, becomes enraged at the audacity of the inhabitants of his little ant farm to build a tower of comparative microscopic proportions.
A little psychology would tell you that most parents would be proud of their offspring building something, and praise them for their efforts, and encourage them.
But this supposedly PERFECT God exhibits base human-like jealousy and rage, and uses his power to inflict a horrible punishment with long reaching consequences. Sounds more like an abusive parent than a loving god. The arrogance obviously lies with the god, not the humans. So why would you worship an abuser?

+1 to ungod.

Like Marshall Brain said, these casual Christains create a safe haven for the violent lunatics. It's about time someone stomped on this guy's bullshit instead of pampering his ass.

You know what, motherfucker? You can go fuck your church.
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.