Author Topic: Old Bible [#2610]  (Read 581 times)

Offline naemhni

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
Old Bible [#2610]
« on: October 24, 2011, 06:09:35 PM »
hi again,

i found a websiite about very old Bible in Israel. Here is a link.
http://dss.collections.imj.org.il/
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
Re: Old Bible [#2610]
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 04:59:40 AM »
The Dead Sea Scrolls, like many ancient texts, are documents that hold great historical value.

They don't, however, validate any supernatural religious claims.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +640/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:59:18 AM »
More like "old news".  It's like when a religious person finds such a thing, it's unfathomable that an atheist knows about it before them.

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +432/-5
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 09:19:46 PM »
The Qumran scrolls seem to be of negligible importance, since they all pre-date the pseudo-Christ, and come from a period which is not in dispute, since the Jews did not alter their biblical texts on a daily basis, like the Christians did, between 30AD and ~150AD.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »
I disagree.  One of the books is a Jewish apocalypse which sheds light on Revelations.

Revelations does not have quotes and chunks of text from it but The War Scroll, aka The Battle of the Sons of Light and Darkness prophesies a future war.

I made some bookmarks but I am not up to speed on reading this stuff to give generalities on the precursors of Revelations.

Here's some of it prophesying a battle against "the nations" for "eternal redemption" with the losers going to Hell:
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sitchin/guerradioses/guerradioses02a.htm
Rise up, rise up, O God of gods, and raise Yourself in power, O King of Kings ...
let all the Sons of Darkness scatter from before You. Let the light of Your majesty shine forever upon gods and men, as a fire burning in the dark places of the damned.  Let it burn the damned of Sheol, as an eternal burning among the transgressors ... in all the appointed times of eternity.
For it is a time of distress for Israel, a fixed time of battle against all the nations. The purpose of God is eternal redemption, but annihilation for al1 nations of wickedness. All those prepared for battle shall set out and camp opposite the king of the Kittim and all the forces of Belial that are assembled with him for a day of vengeance by the sword of God.
{There are 7 battles and this is the last one}
... and in the seventh log, when the great hand of God shall be lifted up against Belial and against all the forces of his dominion for an eternal slaughter  ... and the shout of the holy ones when they pursue Assyria. Then the sons of Japheth shall fall, never to rise again, and the Kitum shall be crushed without remnant and survivor. So the God of Israel shall raise His hand against the whole multitude of Belial. At that time the priests shall sound a signal on the six trumpets of remembrance, and all the battle formations shall be gathered to them and divide against all the camps of the Kittim to completely destroy them. And when the sun hastens to set on that day, the Chief Priest and the priests and the Levites who are with him, and the chiefs of the battle lines and the men of the army shall bless the God of Israel there. They shall say in response:

"Blessed is Your name, O God of gods, for You have done wondrous things for Your people, and have kept Your covenant for us from of old. Many times You have opened the gates of salvation for us for the sake of Your covenant. And You provided for our affliction in accord with Your goodness toward us. You, O God of righteousness, have acted for the sake of Your name."
Revelations 16:14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty. ... And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon. And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, "It is done."
17:12 And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.  These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast. These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

So far I've noticed one Christian site that is living in denial by saying Revelations is  unlike The War Scroll because Revelations is a book revelation and prophecy.  Yeah, but so is The War Scroll.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +432/-5
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 10:02:49 AM »
Interesting that it has hell in it.

I'll change my mind slightly. The Wikipedia article says that the Qumran scrolls prove that the Hebrew texts were fluid, until 100AD. However, I haven't seen much evidence of it. Also, I can't see any evidence that they date up to 70CE.

Someone reckons they have identified Mark from 4 partial words on one match-boxed-size fragment, but the counter-arguments are fierce.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.