Poll

What is a christian?

One who believes in the god described in the Bible according to his/her interpretation of it
16 (43.2%)
One who believes in the god described in the Bible according to his/her interpretation of it and follows his/her interpretation of it
7 (18.9%)
One who believes in the god described in the Bible according to my interpretation of it
0 (0%)
One who believes in the god described in the Bible according to my interpretation of it and follows my interpretation of it
0 (0%)
I don't know
1 (2.7%)
Other (please explain in a post)
13 (35.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: What is a christian to you?  (Read 1602 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
What is a christian to you?
« on: October 23, 2011, 03:28:24 AM »
I believe the title speaks for itself. Ignore the fact that the Bible can be interpreted ad infinitum and vote simply based on what you consider a christian, be it a "Onetruechristian" or not

NOTE: This topic is not a place to discuss your own personal interpretation of the Bible
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:33:01 AM by Lucifer »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline grant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
Re: What is a christian to you?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 04:13:01 AM »
One who believes in the god described in the Bible according to his/her having being exposed to others such as parents who blindly enforce specific, cherry picking belief, generally based on what they have been indocrinated to believe themselves, not what the bible actually says, and with no real personal interpretation of it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 04:14:39 AM by grant »
What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 10:28:37 AM »
Someone who believes that Jesus is the Christ, i.e. the messiah.
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Online JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +203/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »
To me, its anyone who says, "I'm a Christian".   I do not believe there to be one definition that fits all the different types.   
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +77/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 11:11:17 AM »
One who says they believe Jesus was biblegod incarnate.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline xTigerx

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWFSMD?
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 12:28:19 PM »
Christian = anyone who believes that Jesus is God/the son of God
God, if you're real, show yourself.  ...still waiting...

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 12:42:05 PM »
Jews and Muslims also believe in the God of the Bible, and they are not Christian. It is belief in Jesus as the savior that makes one a Christian.

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 01:04:51 PM »
Some one who is scared shitless of a life with out meaning or afraid that they cant make life mean something without a GoD.
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 01:34:11 PM »
Christian = anyone who believes that Jesus is God/the son of God

Right.  And Wright is wrong.

The Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians who have reproduced the Arian heresy -- that Jesus as the "Son of God" was sort of an incarnated archangel.   The atonement at the crucifixion remains intact but Jesus was a designated scapegoat and now is ascended as God's right hand man.

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 01:35:17 PM »
One who says they believe Jesus was biblegod incarnate.
Wouldn't those be "only" trinitarian Christians?
edit: read before you post read before you post read before you post
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:36:49 PM by Noman Peopled »
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 01:37:33 PM »
Some one who is scared shitless of a life with out meaning or afraid that they cant make life mean something without a GoD.
But that would include all the other monotheists including the Aristotle who said God doesn't create or change anything but give meaning to the universe in a lead by example fashion.  So that doesn't identify a Christian.

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 01:33:46 AM »
Someone that has read the Bible, believes in Jesus and doing as Jesus commands.

However when you have a Sadomasicist treating other people as they wish to be treated... thinking that literally EVERYTHING they ask for MUST be given to them... but they refuse to do anything else Jesus tells them to do, yet feel fully justified in telling some that people like me are going to burn in hell while he's going to Heaven because he's a "true christian."   &)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 08:31:09 AM »
To me, its anyone who says, "I'm a Christian".   I do not believe there to be one definition that fits all the different types.

Of course that even allows for the Jeffersonian style of Christian...which is really hard to call a Christian at all.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 09:31:04 AM »
What is a christian to you?

When I was a christian, I believed that I was one because I thought it was true that jesus christ was born of a virgin, lived a holy life, was crucified for my sins, and rose again victorious over death, and because of that I was forgiven and therefore had eternal life. To me, being a christian then was believing his story and obeying his words and commands and trying to live the life of christ and follow him in his ways.

Now however, what being a christian is to me:-- is being a foolish jughead. A waste of a rational life. Believing in the mythical/legendary jesus character is no better than believing in the truth of the yahweh character. Both are fictional characters in a laughable/disturbing myth in which they are given supernatural status which cause both to exhibit bizarre and unreasonable and unnatural behaviours. Belief in these characters as real is, and definitely should be considered, unacceptable, irrational, and unimaginable to the clear thinking and logical mind.

The irreparable flaws in the mythical foundations for the christian religion, make the practice of it worthless as a means to an end, and the practitioner of it a further embarrassment to our species, which unfortunately, is already prone to stupidities apart from religion.   
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:32:35 AM by gonegolfing »
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 10:49:57 AM »
"What is a christian to you?"

Let's see... Well, I know they eat a lot of cornbread and they exfoliate like it's going out of style. I think this explains the overly pink skin tone you commonly see on the white ones. They're big on turtlenecks and cotton shirts, usually white or pink or sky blue. Oftentimes, REALLY bad hair cuts. They hate teh gays and yet they're super eager to get prostate exams and enemas. Not sure what that's all about.

Communication is often very difficult... They tend to pontificate in biblespeak instead of 21st century English because they think it sounds profound, and some of them say "brother" all the time in the most unhip manner possible and this can be very distracting. 

You have to be very careful when handling certain breeds of Christian because they can secrete a slippery, oily substance which makes it next to impossible for them to be held to any one position, so make sure you wear adhesive gloves or something. Protective eyewear wouldn't be a bad idea other... Some have been known to spit!       

What else... Oh yeah, they're big on cannibalism and are always eating people's flesh and drinking their blood, but I think there's a holiday they have where they have to abstain from cannibalism for 3 weeks out of the year and they can only eat dog meat and shellfish or something...

And it's really important to Christians that they conquer the Earth and utterly destroy any non-believers, so they're always trying to raise money to fund their global domination. They do a lot of things like bake sales and car washes to get money, but usually they're funded by old rich people dying and leaving them their money but I heard there's a few denominations that breed kittens so that they can cut off the kitten heads to make decorative ashtrays out of the skulls... Apparently kitten skull ashtrays are a really big ticket item among the Muslims, but the whole operation seems kind of hypocritical to me, I dunno.

They kinda smell funny, too.

Hmm... That's about all I can think of at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 11:59:02 AM by RaymondKHessel »
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 11:42:04 AM »
Someone who believes that Jesus is the Christ, i.e. the messiah.

Ditto.
In addition, they believe that Jesus as the Messiah is the king of kings and lord of lord who rules the universe and will one day bring that rule to be enforced on Earth as well.
I would take it a step further and mention that Christians, a word that indicates Christ-likedness, behave and structure their lives in the manner they believe to be in accordance with Jesus' will and that is their Christ-likeness. For those that do not practice whatever they beleive to be Christ-likeness, I have a hard time referring to them as Christians as the very word by composition indicates that it refers to one that is like the Christ.

Offline Finntroll

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 12:33:48 PM »
In Finnish everyday speech a "Christian" is anybody who identifies as a Christian and/or  typically is a member of any Christian denomination. As opposed to being a Muslim or Jew or a Hindu and so on.
It doesn´t matter to the layman what type of Christianity are we talking about nor how devoded the Christian is. So there are practically agnostic atheist Christians too.

However nowadays the american-influenced pentecostalism, fundamentalism and charismatic movement has gained ground here, and it is only them who are keen to claim that they and only they are the True Christians.  And they don't accept competing sects of the same genre as Christians either.

The main church here, Lutherans, won't accept that division and is trying to keep their roof high and doors wide. The effect is that the Lutheran Church is turning very liberal to please the masses, and the "serious" Christians don't like it.

I´ve been pleased that in the last couple of year many Finnish "true Christians" have been caught committing economic crime, pedophilia and this autumn the leader and founder of the most famous charismatic movement, Nokia Missio, got sacked from his own church because of homosexually harassing men in their therapy sessions. Not nice that this happens, nice that they are finally exposed and stopped.

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 02:33:20 PM »
I am in no way qualified to judge who is a Christian and who isn't. Any attempt to do so would merely constitute my baseless interpretation of the bible. Therefore I accept any all all claims that one is Christian at face value. A Christian is anyone who self-identifies as a Christian.

Unless, of course, you actually want to put me in charge of determining who's a Christian and who's not. Then my baseless opinion would have authority, and I would be free to decide willy-nilly who is a True Christian and who's not.

I don't think self-identified Christians would like the results.
Denis Loubet

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 03:32:50 PM »
IN the real world, anyone who claims to be one since even *they* can't figure out what it "really" means.  If I thought the bibbly was true, anyone who could do the magic things JC said they could do if they followed him. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Whateverman

• Reader
  • Darwins +6/-5
    • Skeptical Minds & Rational Thinkers
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 04:14:23 PM »
Interesting poll, Lucifer. 

I chose "according to his/her interpretation", and do not exclude people based on whether they behave accordingly.  This seems to be the most inclusive of the listed choices.  Obviously, "interpretation" is subjective, but I recognize that people can believe in standards without being able to meet them consistently.  As such, being a Christian is as simple as belief in the Bible (and the divinity of Jesus Christ).

IMHO.
- SMRT Admin

Compared to this thread, retarded midget wrestling for food stamps is the pinnacle of human morality.
-- Ambassador Pony

Offline onesteward

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-7
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 06:28:55 PM »

My understanding of becoming a Christian is being 'born again'.I use The "Amplified Version" as it is my 'reading' Bible.

John:3

3)  Jesus answered him, I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, that unless a person is born again (anew, from above), he cannot ever see (know, be acquainted with, and experience) the kingdom of God.

6)    What is born of [from] the flesh is flesh [of the physical is physical]; and what is born of the Spirit is spirit.

The "spiritual rebirth' or 'regeneration' is possible by virtue of this: 

16)  For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten ([d]unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
when sorrows like sea billows roll;
what ever my lot, you have taught me to say
it is well, it is well with my soul.

Horatio Spafford

theway

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 05:32:57 AM »
By definition a "Christian" should be a follower and believer of Jesus Christ.  Muslims and Jews also believe in God, but their viewpoints and beliefs differ greatly from Christianity and they reject Christ as the risen Son of God.

Offline kevinagain

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 05:27:37 PM »
personally, i would define a christian as someone who has the spirit of christ and is led by it.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +854/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 05:53:14 PM »
A Christian is someone who says they are a Christian.

It does not really matter what they believe or how they behave, because you can't tell what people actually believe, and the rules are contradictory. Besides what constitutes good or appropriate behavior varies by culture. I have met devout African Christians who are polygamous. I have met devout Latin American Christians who get possessed by the spirits of saints. I have met devout US Christians who get drunk and beat their spouse. They are all accepted by their local Christian community.

Either they are all Christians or none of them are. :-\
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »
I can only speak from personal experience.  A Christian to me is someone who has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  By that I mean a Christian is lead by the spirit, meaning obeying the Holy Spirit which dwells within their heart.  All actions (leading's) must be supported by the Bible.

The threads on this site oftentimes talk about other religions based on the Old Testament or part of the Old Testament.  Paul talks about the Jews, Jesus talks about the false prophets.  But differentiating or discussing different cultures or behavior has nothing to do with one being a Christian or not.  Even in America smoking and drinking was OK for Christians at one time.  God forbid even a God hating atheist be caught smoking somewhere today.

What behavior do Christians need to exhibit for you to believe?
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 07:08:18 PM »
I can only speak from personal experience.  A Christian to me is someone who has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  By that I mean a Christian is lead by the spirit, meaning obeying the Holy Spirit which dwells within their heart.  All actions (leading's) must be supported by the Bible.

The threads on this site oftentimes talk about other religions based on the Old Testament or part of the Old Testament.  Paul talks about the Jews, Jesus talks about the false prophets.  But differentiating or discussing different cultures or behavior has nothing to do with one being a Christian or not.  Even in America smoking and drinking was OK for Christians at one time.  God forbid even a God hating atheist be caught smoking somewhere today.

You start off with special pleading about invisible entities that are untestable.

You go on to not get that "different cultures" don't agree with your definition

You somehow think that "smoking" is treated like pedophilia...it isn't

Then you ask what behavior Christian need to exhibit for us to believe.  I would like them to exhibit the behavior of healing amputees.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 07:11:17 PM »
No Christian can heal an amputee, only God can.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 07:12:17 PM »
No Christian can heal an amputee, only God can.

you asked.

BTW Why won't God Heal amputees?

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 07:24:41 PM »

You start off with special pleading about invisible entities that are untestable.

You go on to not get that "different cultures" don't agree with your definition

You somehow think that "smoking" is treated like pedophilia...it isn't

Then you ask what behavior Christian need to exhibit for us to believe.  I would like them to exhibit the behavior of healing amputees.

I get a nasty email for posting and running, now look what hatter23 just did!!!   You gonna send him an email?

I responded to quickly before, now to address your other points:

Invisible entities were tested in the Old Testament.  The Old Testament is like looking at the shadow.  The New Testament is looking at the man.  It's so difficult to compare or reconcile.  Paul (a Jew's Jew) tries and tries in the Epistles.  I am not going to test God.  You need to test God, Please do, sincerely.

Where in the Bible is Pedophilia OK?  Just because Christians sin doesn't make it OK.

If God were to appear before you in person (or heal amputees or whatever it takes for you to believe), then He might as well have created computers.

This is a post and run, sorry, gotta be somewhere 10 minutes ago.  I do read a lot of these posts without responding if that helps.