Author Topic: ........not with a bang, but with a whimper  (Read 602 times)

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
........not with a bang, but with a whimper
« on: October 20, 2011, 09:22:56 AM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/20/BASV1LJD1N.DTL

"I do believe we're getting very near the very end," Camping, 90, said during a podcast recorded earlier this month and posted on his Family Radio website. "Oct. 21, that's coming very shortly, that looks like it will be, at this point, it will be the final end of everything."

On recently recorded podcasts, Camping hedged his Oct. 21 prediction - "Probably there will be no pain suffered by anyone because of their rebellion against God" - but he maintained that, ultimately, the end is nigh.

"I really am beginning to think as I've restudied these matters that there's going to be no big display of any kind," Camping said. "The end is going to come very, very quietly."

....senile old fool lacks the courage of his convictions, and lacks the class to honestly admit to having been totally wrong about everything....

"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: ........not with a bang, but with a whimper
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:29:54 AM »
At least he's not backing down. It will be even more hilarious when it's October 22nd and we're all still here. I'm guessing it'll either be another "spiritual" thing, miscalculations or he'll just shut up. What he won't do is admit that he was wrong.

Also, what does he mean by "the final end of everything"? I always thought an "end" was final. I guess I was wrong.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 05:19:34 PM »
I don't know.  Small earthquake in San Fran today.  That is where all the sinners are.  And wild animals running around Ohio.  Could the old fart be right?????? :o
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 01:42:32 AM »
I don't know.  Small earthquake in San Fran today.  That is where all the sinners are.  And wild animals running around Ohio.  Could the old fart be right?????? :o

Certainly looks like Satan is gearing up for something big. He recruited Ghadaffy yesterday!
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 04:27:39 AM »
Hey 4:30am here.  I could not sleep.  So excited.  So far nothing but it is early.  I have on clean underwear and socks and a small bag packed.  Bring it on...I'm ready. ;)

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 04:50:33 AM »
well it's 8:30pm here and the most apocalyptic event I have witnessed today was some glowing fool flying in on a cloud chariot and ruining my fresh planted lawn.

I went out on the verandah to tell the galah to bugger off when he said "wrong address" and shot next door to my nosy god-bothering neighbours.

Now that you mention it, I haven't noticed them around all arvo.

Perhaps every cloud has a silver lining after all even if I'll have to re-seed.

Why are these false prophets not taken out and stoned? 
I guess the challenge is somewhat lacking ...........this lying old bastard would hardly constitute a moving target.

Does anyone here think he actually believes what he has been saying?
Did he wake in some terror this morning wondering what he is about to witness?
Did he gather his loved ones around so they could all be beamed up together?
Do his followers continue to believe?

I don't know     .........some monkey humans are the damnedest puzzle???
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 05:40:06 AM »

look at it from his point of view ... he studied the bible pretty much his entire life.
Then, one morning he wakes up and he realises he's well into his eighties and has absolutely nothing to show for a lifetime of searching.
So, he can either admit that he wasted his entire life or dive in even deeper and sever that last tiny little connection with reality he has left.
He opted for the latter and you can be damn sure that, in an Orwellian way, he absolutely sure he's right ... even now.
Even when 18:00 comes around and nothing happens.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 06:19:18 AM »

look at it from his point of view ... he studied the bible pretty much his entire life.
Then, one morning he wakes up and he realises he's well into his eighties and has absolutely nothing to show for a lifetime of searching.
So, he can either admit that he wasted his entire life or dive in even deeper and sever that last tiny little connection with reality he has left.
He opted for the latter and you can be damn sure that, in an Orwellian way, he absolutely sure he's right ... even now.
Even when 18:00 comes around and nothing happens.

My militant anti-stupid is very simpatico with this reading Fiji, but on a humanist earthling spectator monkey level, I find myself intrigued by this person.

Not disputing you at all mate, but you definitely impute him with an active choice, and I wonder.

The alternatives seem equally terrible.
 Namely that all his lifetime's learning actually led him to believe what he has prophesied (and that's not even getting into what his changing his story in the face of glaring facts means at all).
But which means that he definitely hasn't got the normal xian shallow-knowledge-of-the-subject-matter as an excuse, and must be one of the superior hosts of cognitive dissonance immunity.

Or he doesn't believe at all (perhaps never has, or perhaps has realised since the first supposed end of days passed without so much as a angelic horn-job that it is all a crock) and he just cannot bring himself to 'fess up. (But why would he make the original prophecy if he didn't believe?) BFIIK

But there is no neutral effect (let alone win win) position for this ancient to stand in, it can only be read as lose-loser.

I tend to agree with your and Blaz's read ....this bloke's not gonna own up no matter what  (I'd love to be shown wrong), and for that stubborn stupid hubris I say stone the fucking false prophet (at least with loud, vehement and very very public ridicule and castigation.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 06:27:51 AM »
I think he either really is as evil as he seems - taking money from people who sold EVERYTHING they owned and using it to spread his lies in order to get even more money this time (also, note how he didn't return it), or that he's just an idiot who thinks that stealing people's money and not returning it, despite the fact that they will be homeless, is a good thing.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 06:55:12 AM »
I just saw (trawling) that Family Radio had leased their premises up 'til 2023... (but the link failed)

If this idiot did one single thing that indicated he didn't believe his May 2011 prophesy then surely the whole thing is a scam, and surely as such can it not be pursued in law?

Mind you his recovery since the fail 1994? rapture has been remarkable enough in its own right.  You can fool some of the monkeys all of the time.

...obviously he's been controversial enough to offside many xians

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 07:26:06 AM »
Why are these false prophets not taken out and stoned? 

Ezekiel wasn't.  At first he was a prophet with psychedelic prophecies at his synagogue calling for a hard line return to monotheism.  Then he sold out to the establishment, that is, became a court pet, a mentalist at the Nebuchadnezzar's court churning out prophecies of victory for his royal highness and noting apologetically that they didn't come true.

Ezekiel ended up in the Bible, fake prophecies and all.  Consider that someone as phony as Benny Hinn still gets credence among the sheeple.  Regular Christian channels include his show.  There will still be a place for Harold Camping.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 08:02:55 AM »

Ezekiel ended up in the Bible, fake prophecies and all.  Consider that someone as phony as Benny Hinn still gets credence among the sheeple.  Regular Christian channels include his show.  There will still be a place for Harold Camping.

..........unbelievable ..................in both senses of the word.

If he is a conman OK then I understand the successful scam, but if he's not, can you imagine a more sickening fate than coming to the end of your allotted time, knowing you have been so irrevocably wrong, and having it happen so gloriously publicly?

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 08:44:07 AM »
Funny, if this is the afterlife, how much like actual life it is.

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 03:19:57 PM »
Funny, if this is the afterlife, how much like actual life it is.

Quite true. You know, if we're all dead  then I guess I am just talking to myself from here on out. I look forward to discovering what my super ego is actually capable of. No more filters, all is one and everything is mental masturbation.

"People want to get whatever they want to get. Do I care? No, I don't care. People need certain things" - Senator Leland Yee (D) California

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 05:17:13 PM »
Since this is my last meal, I'm going to go buy some ice cream -- premium ice cream in a holiday flavor.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 10:28:40 PM »
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/235697/20111021/doomsday-scenarios-harold-camping-october-21-failed-end-of-the-world.htm
Top Five End of the World Prophecies that Didn’t Really Happen

and
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/235472/20111021/harold-camping-october-21-doomsday-end-world-prediction-family-radio-false-prophet.htm
It seems doubtful even Camping is surprised. He isn't talking about it -- his home phone has been disconnected, and his daughter, Susan Espinoza, declined a request for comment from The Associated Press, saying, "I'm sorry to disappoint you, but we at Family Radio have been directed to not talk to the media or the press."

In sharp contrast to his brash assertions before May 21 -- when he lambasted an interviewer for even suggesting that the Rapture might not happen and informed her, "It is absolutely going to happen. We do not have a Plan B at all. There is no possibility that it will not happen, because all of our information comes from the Bible" -- he has spent the past two weeks tamping down expectations.

"There's a lot of things that we didn't have quite right, and that's God's good provision," he wrote on the Family Radio Web site. "I really am beginning to think as I restudy these matters that there's going to be no big display of any kind. The end is going to come very, very quietly, probably within the next month. It will happen, that is, by Oct. 21."

fail fool

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 06:41:08 AM »
Well, damn.  I was hoping the world would end yesterday so I wouldn't have to work today.  Mr. Camping you mislead me.  And you seemed to confident that you would be right this time.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 07:03:17 AM »
I woke up warm and cozy this morning.  Time to check Family Radio's and others' websites for news of Camping.

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 07:47:57 AM »
At least he's not backing down. It will be even more hilarious when it's October 22nd and we're all still here. I'm guessing it'll either be another "spiritual" thing, miscalculations or he'll just shut up. What he won't do is admit that he was wrong.

Also, what does he mean by "the final end of everything"? I always thought an "end" was final. I guess I was wrong.

Well, here we are and it's October 22nd! You know, THE END probably actually did come, and right now I'm just imagining my existence....

&)
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 08:22:45 AM »
Well, damn.  I was hoping the world would end yesterday so I wouldn't have to work today.  Mr. Camping you mislead me.  And you seemed to confident that you would be right this time.

The sooner you/we accept the fact that ya'll/we are dead the sooner yahweh[1] can pull back this veil we call reality and get on to  the next stage. Remember the Sixth Sense?
 1. see what i did there? *chuckles*
"People want to get whatever they want to get. Do I care? No, I don't care. People need certain things" - Senator Leland Yee (D) California

Offline blue

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • Not cool, Zeus.
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 11:31:40 AM »
Guess who just got arrested?

http://www.benningtonvalepress.com/2011/10/harold-camping-in-custody-after.html

Representatives of Family Stations issued a public apology Friday evening to the families of eight college students after admitting that an embarrassed and disgruntled Harold Camping attacked them with his cane in Golden Gate Park. Although the precise details of the assault remain sketchy, authorities claim that Camping had requested to be taken to the area to assess the Lord’s loving and merciful slaughter of sinners, as well as His progress in sucking the souls of the pious back to Heaven.

“What Mr. Camping found,” one officer on scene described, “was a group of over 20 college students face down on the lawn. He must have believed that his rapture had begun. When he realized that he’d happened upon an elaborate display of planking, he just went nuts. At this time, we are placing Mr. Camping on a 72-hour mental health hold. None of the students were seriously injured, and no one’s pressing any charges at this time.”

Wonder if he's finally really broken or if this is just a ruse to keep from having to give the money back.

**ADDENDUM**

It seems that that link is from a humor site like the Onion. Heh, should have checked my sources. /slapforehead
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:41:44 AM by blue »
There’s no difference between a bunch of theologians sitting around debating scripture than a bunch of D&D nerds sitting around debating which version of the Player’s Handbook to use.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »
You got to love it. ;)   The ones who should be using the cane to beat someone are he ones who were stupid enough to give money to this con nut.