Author Topic: What is Religion to You..........  (Read 453 times)

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
What is Religion to You..........
« on: October 19, 2011, 12:04:07 PM »
On another site a while ago, I started a thread on this topic. I concluded that being religious comes down to one's exercising of devotional and ritualistic observances and what one practices, believes to be right, and expects from others as it pertains to a moral code of conduct. On top of that, the religious believe that violators of that code are deserving of punishment and that is where it all hits the fan. With such a mindset in place, religion on a level beyond a personal individual level can potentially be very dangerous.

I also found the following quote from http://www.christinyou.net/pages/godhatesrel.html to be pretty thought provoking at the time.

Religion is inevitably the result of man taking that which is of God and forming it, formulating it, in such a way that men end up "playing God." Men can form idols out of wood or stone in an attempt to represent God, or they can formulate ideological idols (belief-systems, doctrinal definitions, theological theses). The men who thus form and formulate become the "chief priests" of the new religion because they are regarded as knowing the most about what God is like, and well they should for they formed "it."

There are three features which seem to be basic to all forms of man-made religion. Religion involves absolutism, authoritarianism and activism. Now there is nothing wrong with absolutes, authority or activity. God is absolute, authoritative and active. But when any man or group of men attempts to establish themselves as the arbiters or regulators of God's absoluteness, authority or activity, they then begin to "play god," and religion is the result as they impose their perspective of absolute, authority and activity on others.
by James A. Fowler
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:05:42 PM by Truth OT »

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +789/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
Re: What is Religion to You..........
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 12:06:38 PM »
The quote sums up the reality of religion quite nicely.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 01:45:50 PM »
Religion is a security blanket for grown-ups. It alleviates their natural fear of death and provides a handy spackle to fill in the cracks of their knowledge as well.

So not only can you stay snug and cozy in your boring life, safe in the knowledge that none of "this" matters and that one day your REAL life can begin (after yer DEAD!!!  :o), you can also ease your weary mind by never needing to ask tough questions regarding the nature of existence since your religion has provided you with the tools neccesary to bullshit your way through reality with old wives' tales about goats and dirt and talking snakes.

It covers all your bases. How to think, what to think, who to think it it about, and why it needs to be thunk. Booyah. You get to live on autopilot.

And most important, it gives you an imaginary friend to talk to when you're lonely... One that wuvs you oodles and has supreme super powers and is always on your side! Yay!

Ugh. Fucking chimps.  &)

It's alright though. I talk to Al Swearingen from Deadwood when I'm lonely, and it's very comforting. He talks back, too. Radsville.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:53:22 PM by RaymondKHessel »
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +789/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 01:52:14 PM »
One that wuvs you oodles and has supreme super powers and is always on your side! Yay!

Gee, when you put it that way, it starts to sound kind of appealing  ;D\\

Glad you're not a preacher, RKH, or I'd probably convert...
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Whateverman

• Reader
  • Darwins +6/-5
    • Skeptical Minds & Rational Thinkers
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »
I read the question and started coming up with something that sounds remarkably similar to the definitions already posted here.  With that in mind, I decided to come up with something more organic:

Religion is the formalized worship of the sacred

Obviously, "sacred" is subjective.
- SMRT Admin

Compared to this thread, retarded midget wrestling for food stamps is the pinnacle of human morality.
-- Ambassador Pony

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 01:58:14 PM »
One that wuvs you oodles and has supreme super powers and is always on your side! Yay!

Gee, when you put it that way, it starts to sound kind of appealing  ;D\\

Glad you're not a preacher, RKH, or I'd probably convert...

Actually, I *am* an ordained minister with the ULC...   Got the collar n' everyfing! The "CLERGY" parking pass comes in particularly handy... Gotten me out of a lot of tickets.  ;)

I think about it sometimes. Seriously. I could make SO much moolah.

But I'd have to hang out with Christians all the time. And I just don't know if my mind could take it. And I doubt I could keep up the charade. The first time some old heffer came up to me and took my hands and started convulsing and doing her little "crazy dance" freak-out for the lawd, I'd bust a gut laughing at her.

That s**t is entirely too silly for me to possibly pretend to take serious.

"Oh, yes sistah! Blarglesnarffleorrrrrrrrrrdadoubledapanurdfurdle INDEED! GO TELL IT ON THA MOUNTAIN!!!!"

Yeah. No. That's just one of those things mah spirit could simply not abide lol.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:02:06 PM by RaymondKHessel »

Offline pingnak

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »
I'm ordained a couple of different ways, myself.  Online ordination is fun!

I'm a Pope of Eris, too.

Atheism is not believing in any religions.

Religion is not believing in any religions... EXCEPT FOR THE ONE TRUE RELIGION!  And if you don't agree with the religion, your life is forfeit, and you and everyone around you should be murdered because it's so important that you shouldn't be allowed to breathe, that they should kill OTHER people, too!  DIE HERETiCS!  DIE! DIE!! DIE!!!

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 02:42:37 PM »
^^^^^ Oh, snap!  :P

#shotsfired
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:50:46 PM by RaymondKHessel »

Offline YY

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-21
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 03:30:35 PM »
. . . It alleviates their natural fear of death . . .

And that's bad because ? ? ?

So not only can you stay snug and cozy in your boring life, safe in the knowledge that none of "this" matters

absolutely not true of all religions

and that one day your REAL life can begin (after yer DEAD!!!  :o),

again, not true of all religions

you can also ease your weary mind by never needing to ask tough questions regarding the nature of existence since your religion has provided you with the tools neccesary to bullshit your way through reality with old wives' tales about goats and dirt and talking snakes.

we still ask the tough questions, but relition and spirituality provide alternative answers to the unknown

It covers all your bases. How to think, what to think, who to think it it about, and why it needs to be thunk. Booyah. You get to live on autopilot.

not even close. And you can also live on autopilot without religion

And most important, it gives you an imaginary friend to talk to when you're lonely... One that wuvs you oodles and has supreme super powers and is always on your side! Yay!

true

Ugh. Fucking chimps.  &)

You're the man

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 07:49:10 PM »
a bit of editing for my opinoin in bold
Religion is inevitably the result of man taking that which they think is of God and forming it, formulating it, in such a way that men end up "playing God." Men can form idols out of wood or stone in an attempt to represent this idea of God that they have created, or they can formulate ideological idols (belief-systems, doctrinal definitions, theological theses). The men who thus form and formulate become the "chief priests" of the new religion because they are regarded as knowing the most about what they thinkGod is like, and well they should for they formed "it."

There are three features which seem to be basic to all forms of man-made religion. Religion involves absolutism, authoritarianism and activismjust like the various holy books. Now there is nothing wrong with absolutes, authority or activity except there is since this allows one to claim that those who do not conform to them are less than "human. They think God is absolute, authoritative and active. But when any man or group of men attempts to establish themselves as the arbiters or regulators of God's absoluteness, authority or activity, they then begin to "play god," and religion is the result as they impose their perspective of absolute, authority and activity on others.  They have no evidence of this god at all and as far as anyone can tell, the supernatural does not exist
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
Re: What is Religion
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 05:14:33 PM »
The move I step away and look at it, the more apparent it is that religion is man's desparate attempt at finding a way to avoid coming to grips and accepting man's mortality. I'm starting to believe that man dreams up and creates gods in man's mind, not out of ignorance or superstition, but rather because in actuality, man sees itself as godly figures or a race of gods. That may explain why gods are so often personified and created in the image and likeness of man. Religion may in fact be a subconscious means of man worshiping himself! We are so vain, but at the same time, we are freakin' awesome. We dreamed of flying, now we can. We dreamed of being able to move at superhuman speeds, now we can. We wanted to go into space, and now we have. We dream of becoming immortal, and who's to say that we won't one day acheive that goal as well?!

Maybe we are in fact Gods........................