Author Topic: Superstition in all the Ages or Common Sense  (Read 451 times)

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
Superstition in all the Ages or Common Sense
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:18:38 PM »
By chance I downloaded a book onto my kindle.  It is called Superstion in All Ages 1732 – Common Sense.
http://www.amazon.com/Superstition-All-Ages-1732-ebook/dp/B00631UEFQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321549154&sr=1-2

It was written by Baron d'Holbach under the pseudonym John Meslier and the point is to wreck the idea of god. It does.  But it does not do this in a well structured argument.  He argues like an automatic shotgun - a shotgun-machine gun. The chapters are more or less single paragraph arguments which can have multiple points and overlap each other. It is like reading Hitchens’ early 18th century predecessor.  From some of the first chapters:

II. – What is Theology?
There is a science which has for its object only incomprehensible things.  Unlike all others, it occupies itself but with things unseen. Hobbes calls it “the kingdom of darkness.”  In this land all obey laws opposed to those which men acknowledge in the world they inhabit.  In this marvelous region light is but darkness, evidence becomes doubtful or false, the impossible becomes credible, reason is an unfaithful guide, and common sense changed to delirium.  This science is named Theology, and this Theology is a continual insult to human reason.

VI. – Religion is founded upon credulity.
We are told that Divine qualities are not of a nature to be grasped by limited minds.  The natural consequence of this principle ought to be that the Divine qualities are not make to employ limited minds; but religion assures us that limited minds should never lose sight of this inconceivable being, whose qualities can not be grasped by them: from which we see that religion is the art of occupying limited minds with that which is impossible for them to comprehend.

Highly entertaining and has some arguments and observations I’ve never seen before.  I highly recommend this book.  I thought it was free on my Kindle, but the Amazon site shows $3.34 for the price.  Still, worth it.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Superstition in all the Ages or Common Sense
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 03:09:18 PM »
By chance I downloaded a book onto my kindle.  It is called Superstion in All Ages 1732 – Common Sense.
http://www.amazon.com/Superstition-All-Ages-1732-ebook/dp/B00631UEFQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321549154&sr=1-2

It was written by Baron d'Holbach under the pseudonym John Meslier

From the Article on John Meslier in Wkipedia:

^ Baron d'Holbach - Good Sense: Transcription Notes "Holbach published Le Bon Sens anonymously in 1772. The book was mistakenly identified as the work of Jean Meslier (1664-1729), a Catholic priest who had renounced Christianity in a posthumously published Testament. As late as the 20th century English translations of Le Bon Sens were still being published under Meslier's name, often bearing such titles as Common Sense and Superstition in All Ages. Editions ascribed to Meslier frequently include an abstract of his Testament together with Voltaire's correspondence regarding Meslier."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Meslier
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 03:19:10 PM »

Thank you so much for pointing out the existence of this work. It's high time that Atheism began conferring Sainthood on the brave individuals who dared speak their minds, and whose writings miraculously survived, but are relatively unknown because of the Holy conspiracy against all things Atheist.
 :-*
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 03:54:52 PM »
The forward of the book is a short biography of Meslier by Voltaire.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.