Author Topic: More Catholic Pedophilia  (Read 336 times)

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
More Catholic Pedophilia
« on: October 15, 2011, 10:15:28 AM »
I'm not surprised.  But it still amazes me that the general Catholic public doesn't abandon the church even faster.  As Bill Maher has pointed out in the past, if the Pope was the CEO of an international child care business, he would be in jail, along with much of the leadership.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/14/ap/business/main20120666.shtml

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
Re: More Catholic Pedophilia
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:39:19 AM »
Yes, it is really sad that parents actually are willing to trust their priests. If the church officials had taken action as soon as they were aware, and notified police, and DONE THE RIGHT THING, then at least parents could know that these kinds of problems will not be tolerate. That is just not the case. There have been just too many cover-ups, scandals, and "re-assigning" of pedophile priests to even take them seriously anymore. They wonder why their population dwindles; it is because its followers cannot even trust the Catholic Church to protect them from itself. Then they whine and cry that they are being unfairly treated and singled out, trying to draw attention away from appalling behavior that is illegal and ungodly. As an institution so quick to judge others, the Vatican really needs to take a look at itself.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:53:27 PM »
Maybe this is why Catholics invented purgatory? So they could do what they want to children.....and not go directly to hell.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 01:59:12 PM »
El Orfanato is a Spanish film which has not been dubbed into English.  It had a couple names involved with it who Americans know so I was duped into buying the DVD in a bargain bin.

I was not cheated; it was good.

Skipping the supernatural, the premise was interesting.  A woman who was one of the healthy children was adopted out of a Catholic orphanage in Spain.  It was one of the best times of her life.  She has just bought the old abandoned orphanage and will make it a home for special needs children.  She is harassed by an inspector for child protection services to see that her place is up to code  -- rules with which she fully intends to comply.   Then she begins to suspect that the children she knew when she was 7 or 8 did not leave as adoptees or adults.  She finds their bones on the ground.  They were murdered by a vicious woman who worked there.

Enough plot.  From this I learned that Spain until recently (last 30 years) trusted Holy Mother Church to handle such charities.  The Catholic Church -- at least -- kept such sloppy and secretive records that it is plausible that someone could literally, not figuratively, disappear into their system.   The Catholic Church was presuming its own trustworthiness and its own right to no oversight. Thus, like all modern countries, Spain has a government agency watching over child welfare.  Spain is part of the modern world and not a pleasingly backward corner of Europe.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 02:06:23 PM by Historicity »

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »
Make no mistake that large chunks of society simply accepted that the Catholic church was there to "take care" of those who could not take care of themselves.  By that, I mean that most were completely naive to what was actually going on.  I wouldn't want to speculate how widespread it was, but given the large numbers coming out of the woodwork on the pedophile stuff, it feels awful to think about who is NOT speaking up.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 07:21:31 PM »
Make no mistake that large chunks of society simply accepted that the Catholic church was there to "take care" of those who could not take care of themselves.  By that, I mean that most were completely naive to what was actually going on.  I wouldn't want to speculate how widespread it was, but given the large numbers coming out of the woodwork on the pedophile stuff, it feels awful to think about who is NOT speaking up.
There is no excuse for that behaviour from the church itself......If you were the pope and a priest was molesting kids....what would you do? turn him over to the law and have it dealt with promptly,or would you move him to another church so he could do it again? They have done this repeatedly,without consequence,until victims had the courage to speak up.

How many child molester priests have actually been held accountable?

Here in western Canada it was the United Church-murder,rape ,molestings of YOUNG CHILDREN all still free of charges or accountablity
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 11:35:51 PM »
There is no excuse for that behaviour from the church itself......If you were the pope and a priest was molesting kids....what would you do? turn him over to the law and have it dealt with promptly,or would you move him to another church so he could do it again? They have done this repeatedly,without consequence,until victims had the courage to speak up.

How many child molester priests have actually been held accountable?

Here in western Canada it was the United Church-murder,rape ,molestings of YOUNG CHILDREN all still free of charges or accountablity

And yet one would be guilty of mortal sin for not counselling a woman against abortion if the subject came up.  Mortal, meaning if one got hit by a bus and died without the sacrament of confession or making perfect contrition, they would go straight to hell, no questions asked.  Covering up child molestation by a priest okay; not talking a sister out of an abortion, eternal hell.