Author Topic: Would you be offended?  (Read 3716 times)

Offline Avatar Of Belial

• Graduate
  • Darwins +30/-1
  • I'm not an Evil person; I just act like one!
Re: Would you be offended?
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »
What would you do if he/she replied, "Yes, I would like you to pray to Shiva."?

Huh, that brings up an interesting inversion to the question. Even with the neutral "Is there anything I can do to help?", you would open yourself up to that one.

That would be uncomfortable for me... what would the rest of you do in that situation? Offering help and being asked to pray in a religion you don't share, that is.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:40:57 PM by Avatar Of Belial »
"You play make-believe every day of your life, and yet you have no concept of 'imagination'."
I do not have "faith" in science. I have expectations of science. "Faith" in something is an unfounded assertion, whereas reasonable expectations require a precedent.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2011, 02:06:23 PM »

Very interesting twist that I'm sure would make most of us in that situation uncomfortable or at least show us to be a bit taken aback needing to gather out thoughts.

My response today to such a request is quite different it would have been a couple months back when I would have likely told the person that I was uncomfortable and felt that praying to a god other than the Lord I believed in was sinful and wrong. Today, after asking if they thought it would help, I might consider doing what they asked of me. After all, what can if hurt?

Offline relativetruth

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2011, 03:14:49 PM »
If I was in the position of the OP my response would be.

Yeh, whatever..... 

My thinking is that life is to short to bother with crazies when I am feeling low.
God(s) exist and are imaginary

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-5
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2011, 02:46:15 AM »
Just because millions of people share the same mental idea, should we not find it as hysterical as the lone whacko in the tinfoil hat who leaves jellybeans out for Shub-Niggurath?  That's what interests me - that our culture leads us to think that "praying" is such a natural and normal and logical thing to do that we DON'T just laugh and laugh and laugh when a grown adult tells us that's what they are going to do.

Throughout human history, deity worship has been common and the norm as opposed to an oddity. Because that has been the case, prayer has never been considered funny or ridiculous. Those things that an untainted and culturally objective observer would find stupid, weird, or funny are not generally funny to the sane masses because the practice of things like prayer, speaking to a deceased love one at their grave site, and singing praises to an unprovable god are the norm and widely accepted as such.
Therefore laughing at someone praying is like laughing at a man for pisssing while standing up, it's kind of silly and weird.

I don't think the analogy holds, though I see what you're aiming for.  Urinating while standing is - I don't think - a cultural thing, but rather a biological thing: we tend to be upright (or at least we are upright at the point where we arrive at the place we intend to squirt) so there is no "need" to change position.

A better analogy would be with ettiquette, and the way to lay out and use knives and forks at a formal dinner.  Forks have prongs, knives have blades, and I seriously doubt there is anything that you cannot do with this fork that you can do with that one.  It's something done for a non-functional reason because of the "belief" that it is right to do so.  Frankly, I'd find it amusing to be told "no, not that knife - that knife" at dinner - but fortunately such practices seem to be falling into disuse.

Prayer and god-belief though perhaps falls better into the camp of superstition and the OCD-end of mental illness, maybe.  As such, perhaps instead of the "laugh" reaction being appropriate when someone says "I will draw for you/I will stroke a black cat/I will switch the light off and on 32 times", it would be better to express sympathy and - perhaps - direct them to a counsellor.

But to draw it back.....yes, prayer to an invisible being (who can do anything but normally chooses not to) IS considered "normal" in our culture, because of the hundreds of years of precedent.

But why the heck should that continue to be the case?  For what reason should one offer any different response to the man who says "I will pray" than to the man who says "I will sacrifice a goat"?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2011, 08:41:51 AM »
So, I just heard that someone I know was in a car accident. I don't know their religios affiliation, but if they were atheist (and I didn't know it), would it be offensive to say something like:

I’ll be praying for your full and quick recovery . . .

?

Now that's funny !  :laugh:

In my original scenario, I could just see the look on my sister's face if I would have replied with that one ! ....She's the one who would have expressed offence and have proceeded to explain why she disbelieves in all other gods and that as an atheist I shouldn't be telling her to pray to a specific god anyways and blah blah blah...

ToT:
Today, after asking if they thought it would help, I might consider doing what they asked of me. After all, what can if hurt?

Yeah, and I call bullshit ! There isn't a chance it the hell that you don't believe in, that you're going to pray to Shiva for that person. You may lie and tell them that you will, but to actually do so would be out of the question for such a clear thinking and rational stoic like you  ;D 
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +265/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2011, 10:12:05 AM »
To answer the OP:
If it were a random stranger who knew nothing of my religious position, I wouldn't be offended (just slightly annoyed), unless it became clear that that person was trying to take advantage of me in a bad moment.
If it were a person who knew of my religious position, I would be offended and annoyed and would probably proceed to making snide remarks about why his/her religion is bullshit.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2011, 10:36:58 AM »
No, TOT, I’m not just looking for stuff to argue about.  I am pointing out your hypocrisy, which is more than obvious.  You just try to pawn it off as a “sense of humor”.  Typical, it becomes someone else’s problem if they don’t see how “funny” you are. 

I find your argument that one should “simply let them have their beliefs” to be highly amusing.  Golly, just let them go on with their delusions, it can’t hurt!  And just how does one instruct them not to force their beliefs on you without telling them that they are wrong, TOT?   It *is* too much to ask, to say that everyone’s opinions should never be challenged and that we should “respect” them no matter what, allowing them to retain their nonsense.  It can allow bad ideas to fester and to grow.  It’s 20/20 hindsight and speculation but what could have happened if someone confronted the ideas of racial purity that the Nazis had early on in their existence?  Do you think that the Brownshirts would have invited a discussion?  Golly, “access denied, too bad how sad”.  How sad indeed.       

And no, I was not “wrong again” when saying your claim that “Therefore laughing at someone praying is like laughing at a man for pisssing while standing up, it's kind of silly and weird.” is an appeal to tradition.   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2011, 02:50:20 PM »
I usually simply apply my universal translator which translates "I'll pray for you" into "I care." There's usually a brief moment of mild irritation and then my translator kicks in and I appreciate the general good wishes.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.